Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Annual Rock Hall Nominee Shit Show thread

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The list of who should be in is endless. One could write a book...or several books.

BLUE OYSTER CULT, IRON MAIDEN, SOUNDGARDEN, ALICE IN CHAINS...and on and on and on...

The fact that fucking FOO FIGHTERS got in and SOUNDGARDEN haven't yet...that makes me sick.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    BOC...again, popular, but were they influential? Put Nazareth, Grand Funk, and Foghat in that basket too. When's the last time you saw Buck Dharma or Mark Farmer cited as an influence by someone in an interview?

Geeky girl I went to school with is a big Styx fan and regularly posts how Styx should get in. I'd say they were a better example of what NOT to do.

At least with Rage getting in this year, that's three more votes toward Soundgarden. I'm not a big grunge fan but I can see AIC and Soundgarden getting in.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    BOC...again, popular, but were they influential? Put Nazareth, Grand Funk, and Foghat in that basket too. When's the last time you saw Buck Dharma or Mark Farmer cited as an influence by someone in an interview?

Geeky girl I went to school with is a big Styx fan and regularly posts how Styx should get in. I'd say they were a better example of what NOT to do.

At least with Rage getting in this year, that's three more votes toward Soundgarden. I'm not a big grunge fan but I can see AIC and Soundgarden getting in.
    BLUE OYSTER CULT have a pretty rabid following (Stephen King's favorite band...he uses their songs in his books). They're not so much about the original members but their very unique sound. And I've read a lot of bands list them as an influence on their sound. I think they're amazing (though, admittedly, their great work is from the 1970s).

SOUNDGARDEN is the no-brainer. They had the greatest vocalist of their generation. Kim Thayil's playing was truly influential. And Matt Cameron is a monster drummer. I understand that PEARL JAM have the bigger following...but IMO, SOUNDGARDEN are so much better. (One of my very, very favorite bands...up their with VH.)

ALICE IN CHAINS too. They were amazing. They influenced a lot of bad bands (admittedly), but so did NIRVANA. NIRVANA were a great band but influenced a lot of bad bands in their wake. Jerry Cantrell is a great player...and AIC had a truly unique vocal harmony sound. Their stuff lasts. It's also ridiculous that they haven't gotten in. In fact, I don't think they've even been nominated.

I can't say I like music like STYX. But I do think FOREIGNER should be in. They not only sold so many damn records but they had a string of pretty unbeatable hits. Mick Jones may not have truly saved 5150, but he is a great producer/songwriter.

IRON MAIDEN...some consider them the most popular band in the world. They sell out massive stadiums in every continent. They influenced more bands than almost anyone in history apart from SABBATH, KISS, THE BEATLES, DEEP PURPLE and ZEPPELIN. (The fact that it took decades for DEEP PURPLE to get in is insane in and of itself. Ritchie Blackmore is still my favorite guitar-player.)

GRAND FUNK is one of those bands that Rolling Stone tries to pretend never existed. But they were Motor City giants, they played Shea Stadium when few were playing Shea Stadium...they were the biggest band in America from 1970-1973, maybe. And, again, they had a string of amazing FM-radio songs. And it was just the three of them...great players. They probably won't ever get in because of the elitist attitude...but they should.

FOGHAT...another influential band with a catalog that is too ignored. All of their 70s albums are great car music...great campfire music. They were much more than SLOW RIDE.

I never got into NAZARETH. Admittedly, I think I only know the one song. But I've read people talk about how much better they were than LOVE HURTS. I should check 'em out at some point.

Has RICK DERRINGER ever got in, even as a player? He's a great guitarist. His string of 70s solo albums are a lot of fun...with some cutting, smoking guitar-playing.

(OK...now I wait for Kristy to...uh...chime in.)
    Last edited by Rikk; 09-19-2023 at 05:00 AM.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    One more mention. I love to see Phil Upchurch in there. Although he has drifted more into jazz his early days of ripping on a Strat were fucking incredible.
    I'm asking honestly (not obnoxiously) because I'm not familiar with him. Any particular tracks or albums you think would be a good start for him?

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I stayed on the same block many times over the years. Refused to ever attend that shithole based on the non rock acts in there, and the real rock acts that aren't. That joke of a rock and roll hall of fame should be burnt to the ground.

How many rappers are in the country music hall of fame? How many rockers are in the country music hall of fame?

Fuck the "Rock and Roll" hall of fame.
    A-fucking-men, Von.

While I will not say I've never been in the building, I can simply tell you to ask my wife how much bitching and yelling I did as we were driving away from the place. I was pissed that they left out so much stuff.

Even their "early rock 'n' roll" stuff was nowhere near as impressive or life-changing as the feeling I had when I went to Sun Studios and Graceland (in Memphis...the city my wife & I consider our home away from home).

I'm not saying there doesn't deserve to be a Rap Hall of Fame. I'm not sure if there is one, but if there is, all sorts of rappers deserve the credit and should be honored there: RUN-DMC (though they deserve to be in for influencing lots of rock artists, the song with Aerosmith, etc.), Tupac (not in the Rock Hall but in the Rap Hall), etc.

But I would argue that Beastie Boys deserved their Rock Hall induction. It has NOTHING to do with the fact that they're white. I mean that. It is because they started as a punk band and kept tons of rock and even metal elements in their sound throughout their career. Beastie Boys influenced a ton of rock acts...SABOTAGE is a rock song, pure and simple. (And ROOT DOWN is my favorite song by them.)

The fact that Dolly Parton (who I have nothing against) decided to record her first rock album AFTER she got in the Hall says plenty about the Rock Hall's credibility. She even asked them not to induct her after she was nominated!!

I'm Swedish...so while many of you may want to bitch about ABBA, I cannot do that. I grew up going to Sweden in the summer in the 1980s, so I have a lot of nostalgia for them. They were, however, purely a pop band. I have a hard time seeing them as a legitimate rock band, though they undoubtedly influenced a TON of rock bands (e.g. U2)...but they're not really a rock band. (They were extremely talented, though.)

Why the fuck is Willie Nelson in there? Again, I have nothing against him. He's a legitimately-good singer-songwriter. But he has NEVER been considered a rocker of any sort. He is a strictly country artist...maybe occasionally crossing over into pop.

Hell, one of the only traditional country artists who deserves, truly deserves, to be in the Rock Hall is Johnny Cash. He was country...but he was also rockabilly. And several of his albums had real rock material on it (listen to AMERICAN II, for example...let alone many of his 1950s & 1960s albums).

But where the "Rock Hall" really has lost the plot (besides ignoring tons of essential acts that don't meet Jann Wenner & Jon Landau's elitist bullshit) is in their starting to induct complete fucking tools like Missy Elliott or (nominated) Mary J. Blige. I mean, what the fuck? Really?

Make fun of me...but I have nothing against George Michael. But does he deserve to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Fuck, no. He's a pop artist. Singing five songs with Queen at a tribute concert does not make him a contender for the Rock Hall. That's fucking bullshit.

Lionel Richie?? Really? Again, I don't mind his music. He had some fun, catchy music in the 1980s. Pure fucking pop, though. The Commodores? Great funk/soul band...not remotely rock. And he's now become a country artist, hasn't he? (They seriously couldn't find an actual rock band more deserving??)

HOW ABOUT WHO HAS NEVER GOTTEN IN???
    Do you know that Living Colour has never even been nominated? SERIOUSLY??

The Pixies have never been nominated. THAT'S INSANE. They were amazing...and very influential. (Frank Black alone is worthy of nomination.)

Nick Drake has never been nominated. The Rock Hall are morons. Did he sell a lot of records? No. Is he one of the most influential singer-songwriters to come out of Great Britain? Fuck, yes.

Procol Harum have been nominated once. Never got in. They were a great band. Their first record (WHITER SHADE OF PALE) was one of the biggest singles in music history. They recorded a slew of highly-regarded albums and have a rabid fanbase.

Sting. Nominated once (2015). Never been inducted. Now, yes, he's in with The Police. But he was huge solo too. And yes, he hasn't made a great album in ages. But his first four solo albums alone should have gotten him inducted.

White Stripes. Nominated...never got in. That's a joke. I'd take Jack White over 100 Dave Grohls any day. That guy can play...and write. He's cool...unlike Dave Grohl.

INXS have never been nominated. That's so stupid. They were HUGE. They were a really great band. Watch their 1991 LIVE BABY LIVE concert film and tell me that wasn't a great rock band. (I have a 4K Blu-Ray of it...it smokes.)

Midnight Oil have never been nominated. THAT'S FUCKING NUTS!! They were amazing! I've seen them live three times! (Including their 2017 reunion tour...I remember going the night after Chris Cornell died, so I was a bit bummed out.) They were one of the most dynamic live bands ever. They had a handful of big albums. Several hits (BEDS ARE BURNING, THE DEAD HEART, BLUE SKY MINE, FORGOTTEN YEARS, U.S. FORCES, TRUGANINI). They influenced a ton of good bands. But apparently not as rock 'n' roll as Missy Elliott.

MC5. Nominated 6 times. Never inducted. Not exactly my favorite band...but they fucking were one of the wellsprings that created punk. But I guess George Michael rocks better.

Neither Joy Division nor New Order have been inducted. Just nominated once.

Joe Cocker. Never nominated.

Jethro Tull. Never nominated.

Jane's Addiction. Nominated once. Never inducted.

Iggy Pop got in with The Stooges...but if they can nominate Graham Nash multiple times, IGGY deserves to go in for his solo career alone!!!

Black Flag. Never nominated.

Dead Kennedys. Never nominated (not that they would show up).

Warren Zevon. Nominated once (just this year). Didn't get in. Why? Because the Rock Hall are fucking absolute cunting morons.

Bad Company. Never nominated. SERIOUSLY??

Johnny Winter. Never nominated. Are they nuts?

Manfred Mann. Never nominated.

Sonic Youth. Never nominated.

Thin Lizzy. Nominated once. Never inducted. (THIS ONE REALLY PISSES ME OFF...PHIL LYNOTT WAS THE SHIT!)

Steve Winwood. Nominated once.

War. Nominated three times. Never got in. (That's bullshit...they were fucking great.)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There are lot of new artist out there who are breaking the rules by actually writing and playing their own material unlike say, a certain duo in their 80s. You have to realize (and I think you do better than anyone else on here) that the music industry is dead. Anyone can call themselves a producer or even a professional musician with general knowledge of learning to play a few chords and a iPhone to record their crap on. As for the ones who developed a real skill in manipulating their instrument and has paid "dooos" are becoming more and more rare and the industry which has sold its soul to the commercial pop of visual instead of aural and music is all about being seen in these days an times (See: K Pop, the Masked singer, that fucking unwatchable The Voice).

The Crock and Bullshit Hall of (insert flavor of the month here) has always been abut ego tripping turning itself into a qualified bitch magnet for the likes of Dave Grohl. The concept of the place was great when it first marketed itself. It gave notion to the pioneers likes Chuck Berry (although he was a asshole), Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, Gene Vincent which was all well and good until you start to get the vibe The Crock and Bullshit Hall of...shit just openly operates as a beauty contest. So many artist who possessed so much in the way originality and "dooo paying" are largely ignored. As far as I know Irma Thomas, Don Varner, Fontella Bass, Chuck Jackson, Eddie Hinton, Jimmy McGriff, Tammi Terrell and yes, even white limey artist like Billy Fury (huge "influence" on Bowie), The Artwoods, The Shadows (although they may be or Hank Marvin definitely belongs there) or even the Fame Gang are not in there or ever mentioned of being there. you all remember the Fame Gang, right? Give this a quick listen and guess how many people ripped them the fuck off (See; Earth, Wind and Fire)

And since I mentioned Bill Fury:

Yeah, tell me Bowie did not steal from him.*

So this is what we have: a visual media for an auditory one. As Von said the The Crock and Bullshit Hall of Slime can politely go and fuck itself. I've been there. Not much to see unless you're really into nostalgia like Joe Strummer's boxer shorts.

*Billy Fury is a limey. David Bowie is a limey. Limeys stealing from other limeys I could less than a shit about.

I mean, I get that while I'm not dead yet, as a white American male in his early 50's whatever the music industry is these days I'm clearly not the demographic the contemporary music biz is targeting.

I dunno. It's like, I still get some degree of enjoyment out of the rock I grew up listening to, but even that material...there's only so many times I can listen to that stuff before it's just "fuck, I'm sick of hearing the same stuff over and over again."

Last ten years or so, I'm listening to more pop stuff than rock. Last tune I heard that turned me on was a Harry Styles song. So, I'm either listening to newer pop stuff or I'm going back and listening to older stuff I'm not as familiar with.

I liked Aerosmith up to and including Pump but could really give two fucks if they never tour again or release another record and if I'm driving around listening to terrestrial radio like a white geezer such as myself does and Walk This Way comes on, I change the station. I could give two shits about Iron Maiden and if Nico is gonna be able to play drums for them ever again...and I loved that fucking band circa 1985. Or a few years back when Deep Purple were inducted in the Hall Of Fame and there was this big kerfuffle over if Blackmore would show up and if the band would reunite with Blackmore and play Smoke On The Water "one last time, for the fans, man!" I love Deep Purple, loved Rainbow (even the Joe Lynn Turner stuff) but I'd sooner listen to Blackmore's Night play Renaissance music these days than Machine Head.

Rock and Roll has gotten old, boring, safe and corporatized. I see these working bands chugging out this newer metal-edged rock and they've all got their unforms on - jet black hair, black jeans, black shirts, tattoos - and all their gear and they're playing the notes but I hear zero passion or purpose. Just loads of professional musicians making uninspired music. Yawn-inducing and sad, but that's what rock has devolved to. I'd honestly rather listen to Rhianna than that stuff. I mean, fuck, say what you want about...like, Bill Haley and The Comets but at least there was a bit of fire and spirit there way back when.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Johnny Cash is in, class of '92. His tour bus is parked out front on the plaza.

Full list of inductees https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/a-z

There was a Sun Studios display that included the original mixing board and tape machine but I don't remember if it's still there.

The archives are currently housed at Cuyahoga Community College. The Rock Hall is going to add on to the building and eventually the archives will be kept on site.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 09-19-2023 at 11:05 AM.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    I'm asking honestly (not obnoxiously) because I'm not familiar with him. Any particular tracks or albums you think would be a good start for him?
    You Can't Sit Down (Parts 1 & 2) was probably his biggest and only hit.

The other, his 1968 recording Feeling Blue

I know, he does sound sound like a bit of a Albert King knock off at times. To meeeeeeee a lot of his early recordings were poorly recorded and produced unlike say a bloated, I mean, pristine Sandy Pearlman BOC offering.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Rock and Roll has gotten old, boring, safe and corporatized. I see these working bands chugging out this newer metal-edged rock and they've all got their unforms on - jet black hair, black jeans, black shirts, tattoos - and all their gear and they're playing the notes but I hear zero passion or purpose. Just loads of professional musicians making uninspired music.

You know what you just did there? You just described emo to a golf tee. Here a perfect example:

Rich kids that crawl out of places like Brooklyn. I have a coworker who loves this horseshit.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Johnny Cash is in, class of '92. His tour bus is parked out front on the plaza.

Full list of inductees https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/a-z

There was a Sun Studios display that included the original mixing board and tape machine but I don't remember if it's still there.

The archives are currently housed at Cuyahoga Community College. The Rock Hall is going to add on to the building and eventually the archives will be kept on site.
    Oh, I'm aware Cash is in. I was just making a point about MOST country artists not really deserving...but Cash definitely deserved to be in. It was in the lower half of my (rather long) post that I listed artists who aren't in (who should be).

I bet the Sun Studios exhibit was great. Being in the original studio is...mind-blowing.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Back to your other post...as big of a Sting/Police fan I am, I just don't see him getting in solo. Sure, the first solo band was a bunch of jazzbos, but does that really count? His stuff turned into MOR sludge after those first few solo albums. And that kind of describes Winwood solo, and Clapton after Journeyman/24 Nights, and Frampton after When All The Pieces Fit.

Zevon absolutely should be in.

Midnight Oil...leaning toward the political/activist side of things, so maybe? I mean, that's the thinking behind putting Rage Against The Machine in, I guess.

INXS. Majorly influential to me personally. I know those songs inside out, backwards forwards...enough that I will never go see an INXS tribute band, because there is no way it will ever be good enough for me. I will sit there and nitpick that motherfucker and complain all the way home and wonder why I spent money on that shit. Saw them four times from Kick forward, the last a couple months before Michael Hutchence died. Hutchence could work a room with the best of them.

Dead Kennedys and Black Flag. How do you have Green Day (highly derivative and not innovative IMO) and not more of the original wave of punk bands? They probably wouldn't show up anyways, but still, why not induct them?

Jethro Tull...meh. "Oh, Anderson plays FLUTE!" Not enough in my eyes. Our former mod Mr. Walker was a fan.

Maybe Duran Duran getting in means more New Wave gets in. DD should have been in earlier, their use of video is the definition of "perpetuation of rock and roll." Finally saw them the other night, great show.

The UCR article has Hagar solo on their list. For what? I've always said Dave solo is a stretch, too. The only way Cherone gets in is if he buys a ticket.

What from the 90's "nu metal" gets in? Most of that is shit. But that's just my age talking

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

INXS. Majorly influential to me personally. I know those songs inside out, backwards forwards...enough that I will never go see an INXS tribute band, because there is no way it will ever be good enough for me. I will sit there and nitpick that motherfucker and complain all the way home and wonder why I spent money on that shit. Saw them four times from Kick forward, the last a couple months before Michael Hutchence died. Hutchence could work a room with the best of them.
    Never was a big fan of them but used to get into arguments with hipster music snobs that Andre Farriss was a tremendous songwriter -seeing him and Hutchence wrote the majority of their biggest hits. Now he sold his soul and is working with that prick from Def Leppard

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Even worse, Andrew Farriss has gone country.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You Can't Sit Down (Parts 1 & 2) was probably his biggest and only hit.

The other, his 1968 recording Feeling Blue

I know, he does sound sound like a bit of a Albert King knock off at times. To meeeeeeee a lot of his early recordings were poorly recorded and produced unlike say a bloated, I mean, pristine Sandy Pearlman BOC offering.
    Thanks, Kristy. I'll check these out!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Even worse, Andrew Farriss has gone country
    Guess he figured if Keith Urban can get away with it... that opens up the door to Kangaroo Kountry....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This one sounds more like Dire Straits than INXS. Lead guitar is very Knopfler like...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's terrible!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It definitely ain't Shabooh Shoobah

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There used to be great induction speeches. Pete Townshend was great at it (for the Stones, Pink Floyd).
    But I think the best speech ever was Little Richard's for Otis Redding's induction.

The way he sings Otis' songs is amazing.
    Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 09-20-2023 at 06:03 AM.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Back to your other post...as big of a Sting/Police fan I am, I just don't see him getting in solo. Sure, the first solo band was a bunch of jazzbos, but does that really count? His stuff turned into MOR sludge after those first few solo albums.
    You may be right. I mean, yes, Peter Gabriel got in both as a member of Genesis and as a solo artist. But I think nobody would claim that Sting solo is as influential as Gabriel solo. Putting Gabriel in as a solo artist is a no-brainer.

That said, Sting was still freaking huge as a solo artist. He sold tons of records. He definitely became a superstar in his own right. He definitely influenced a lot of people.

I still maintain that DREAM OF THE BLUE TURTLES is a great album. (I like the movie about this album, BRING ON THE NIGHT, even more.)

NOTHING LIKE THE SUN (the 2nd solo LP) is also very good, if a bit overlong. ENGLISHMAN IN NEW YORK is like The Police single that never was. (FORTRESS AROUND MY HEART, from DREAM, also sounds like it could have come off SYNCHRONICITY.)

THE SOUL CAGES was also very good (maybe not quite as good as the first two LPs).

A lot of people found TEN SUMMONER'S TALES too poppy, but songs like LOVE IS STRONGER THAN JUSTICE and SEVEN DAYS are really good.

After those LPs, his work becomes admittedly spotty. But it would be hard to deny that Sting's solo career has existed mostly on its own terms and he hasn't just tried to replicate The Police sound.

(He's also embarrassed himself, making flute albums and shit.)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I saw those first few Sting solo tours, all at Blossom. Going to see Andy Summers next month, a combination of his music and photography. 650 seat capacity room.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You may be right. I mean, yes, Peter Gabriel got in both as a member of Genesis and as a solo artist. But I think nobody would claim that Sting solo is as influential as Gabriel solo. Putting Gabriel in as a solo artist is a no-brainer.

That said, Sting was still freaking huge as a solo artist. He sold tons of records. He definitely became a superstar in his own right. He definitely influenced a lot of people.

I still maintain that DREAM OF THE BLUE TURTLES is a great album. (I like the movie about this album, BRING ON THE NIGHT, even more.)

NOTHING LIKE THE SUN (the 2nd solo LP) is also very good, if a bit overlong. ENGLISHMAN IN NEW YORK is like The Police single that never was. (FORTRESS AROUND MY HEART, from DREAM, also sounds like it could have come off SYNCHRONICITY.)

THE SOUL CAGES was also very good (maybe not quite as good as the first two LPs).

A lot of people found TEN SUMMONER'S TALES too poppy, but songs like LOVE IS STRONGER THAN JUSTICE and SEVEN DAYS are really good.

After those LPs, his work becomes admittedly spotty. But it would be hard to deny that Sting's solo career has existed mostly on its own terms and he hasn't just tried to replicate The Police sound.

(He's also embarrassed himself, making flute albums and shit.)
    Putting aside the HOF, I enjoyed more than a few things Sting did in his solo career.

Can't say I enjoyed it as much as The Police, but The Police...they were just one of my favorite bands. Period.

Took balls to leave The Police and go solo. The Police...man, they were just getting bigger and bigger. However, in retrospect, disbanding when they did and only reconvening for a few select occasions was a smart move. The group put out 5 fantastic albums, went out on top and didn't flog the nostalgia of it into the ground.

But...yeah. Turtles was different, but great, agreed. The Bring On The Night movie...the surprise for me was that his band ended up upstaging him a bit...what a great ensemble!

Nothing Like The Sun I remember listening to a lot when it came out. Hasn't aged quite as well for me.

But, you know, it'd be unfair in a way to be too critical in comparing Sting solo to The Police. Mostly because The Police were just fucking brilliant, and without Summers and Copeland...as important as Sting was to The Police as the primary songwriter it definitely took what all three brought to the table to make it what it was.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Conflict creates great art. I'm pretty sure Stewart Copeland wasn't referring to Andy Summers

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And that kind of describes Winwood solo, and Clapton after Journeyman/24 Nights, and Frampton after When All The Pieces Fit.
    Winwood has had some good solo stuff. Albums like ARC OF A DIVER are really respected. It's too bad, however, that Winwood does not have a sprawling catalog of great solo albums that match his reputation as one of the great singers/players/songwriters to come out of 1960s England. He's been inducted as part of Traffic...well deserved.

It's too bad Blind Faith only made one album. That 1969 album really gets overlooked...in my opinion, it is easily one of the highlights of both Winwood's and Clapton's careers. HAD TO CRY TODAY, CAN'T FIND MY WAY HOME, PRESENCE OF THE LORD, SEA OF JOY...these are all great songs.

Clapton's solo career has had plenty of peaks...and plenty of valleys. But I think few self-respecting rock experts would claim he hasn't done enough solo to warrant his solo induction. And he's done some reasonably good work in recent years (his 2010 solo LP, CLAPTON, is actually pretty damn good...if a bit light). A lot of his recent successes, however, are based on nostalgia, like the 2005 Cream reunion (I really love the Blu-Ray of the Royal Albert Hall reunion gigs) and his really great live LP/film with Steve Winwood from 2008 (during which they play a lot of great material, including several Blind Faith songs).

I have to admit...I'm really not very knowledgeable concerning Frampton. The only album I really know is FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE. Mind you, I really enjoy that album. (I don't even really know Humble Pie.)

Zevon absolutely should be in.
    You bet! His first two real solo LPs (1976 & 1978) are both masterpieces. And albums like THE ENVOY and even THE WIND have very strong material. He was a great (and unique) songwriter.

On a similar note, I cannot believe John Prine has not been inducted (nominated once). Again, killer songwriter, very influential.

Midnight Oil...leaning toward the political/activist side of things, so maybe? I mean, that's the thinking behind putting Rage Against The Machine in, I guess.
    You're right...very political. Even that aside, they wrote so many great songs and were killer performers. I'm a big INXS fan...but Midnight Oil were (IMO) even better. I actually list 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 as one of the best albums to come out of the 1980s. It's truly a masterpiece. And DIESEL AND DUST was a huge album. Will they get in? Who knows? They do have a big ally in David Fricke, who always champions the band...though I don't know if he's actually on the Rock Hall's Board or if he's even a voter.

Yeah, Hutchence was such a great frontman. I absolutely love the LIVE BABY LIVE 4K disc I have. It's one of the most stunning things I've ever watched in my home theater. You're lucky, by the way. Yeah, I saw Midnight Oil three times...but I never got a chance to see INXS, for some reason. (And it sounds like you agree with me on the idea that any of their post-1997 reunions were not INXS.)

A lot of people claim KICK is their best album...but I actually think LISTEN LIKE THIEVES is a stronger LP.

Dead Kennedys and Black Flag. How do you have Green Day (highly derivative and not innovative IMO) and not more of the original wave of punk bands? They probably wouldn't show up anyways, but still, why not induct them?
    I could not agree with you more!! Green Day is so hugely fucking overrated...similar to Foo Fighters. Green Day, in my humble opinion, did nothing new. They took the sounds of tons of classic punk bands from both sides of the pond, mixed in some of the bombast of even bands like Queen, and made a sort of more media-friendly, watered-down version of punk/pop. And I find them (for the most part) kinda boring. An unexciting band. A bad band? I didn't say that. But I can't imagine myself ever getting truly excited about Green Day in any way.

Dead Kennedys? Yes, a west coast punk band. But who else did they sound like? Nobody!! East Bay Ray created a guitar sound that is instantly identifiable. Peligro was such a great drummer (just passed away). And Jello Biafra? One of the most uncompromising frontmen ever...and a great lyricist. They truly are one of the most dangerous-sounding bands that ever graced a stage. And of course they wouldn't show up. But who cares? (But yes, let's be honest...the Hall inducts people based on which inductions will get high T.V. ratings...it has nothing to do with credibility.)

Black Flag influenced thousands of bands. They were important. And, of course, they'll never get in.

Jethro Tull...meh. "Oh, Anderson plays FLUTE!" Not enough in my eyes. Our former mod Mr. Walker was a fan.
    I like them. But I'm not the massive fan my friend is. They really should be inducted. They were pretty huge, influential...have their own sound.

Maybe Duran Duran getting in means more New Wave gets in. DD should have been in earlier, their use of video is the definition of "perpetuation of rock and roll." Finally saw them the other night, great show.
    I like Duran Duran. Never had a chance to see them live. If I did see them, it would make me very happy if they played my favorite DD song, THE CHAUFFER (but I know they don't play it live very often). They were influential, they were easily one of the rock video pioneers...had their own sound...a solid singer...a solid look.

The UCR article has Hagar solo on their list. For what? I've always said Dave solo is a stretch, too.
    Hagar will never in a million years be inducted (thank God). I can't imagine that even being considered. I can't imagine any self-respecting music personality giving a speech, talking about how influential THREE LOCK BOX was to the world.

I love David Lee Roth. He was the ultimate frontman and the only singer for Van Halen. And even I will admit: he does not deserve to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist. He simply didn't do enough unique material or really create anything new as a solo artist. It'll never happen.

What from the 90's "nu metal" gets in? Most of that is shit. But that's just my age talking
    For me, the 1990s is so much my generation. That's when I went to High School, etc. But I guess the "grunge age" was my generation's movement...the "Nu Metal" stuff came later. And most of it does nothing for me. I have NO love of Korn...I'm not really a Slipknot fan (though I have nothing against Corey Taylor)...I did enjoy the first three Limp Bizkit albums as "guilty pleasures" (make fun of me all you want...I was young). WHICH of these deserves to be inducted into a Hall of Fame? None of them, I think...though I'm not the expert on this genre.

Let me know if I'm leaving out any of these bands.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Duran Duran aren't doing Chauffeur this tour, but they opened with Night Boat and played Friends Of Mine later in the set. First album well represented.

My friend's kid is way into Green Day, I tell him go back and dig into the '80's punk.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The only way Cherone gets in is if he buys a ticket.
    Gary Cherone will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for Tribe of Judah. They were one of the biggest bands in rock history. They were mind-numbingly huge and changed not only the face of music but our entire planet. When I think of 2001-2003, I think not only of 9/11, the Bush years and the "War On Terror," I also think about how everybody in the world was talking about Gary Cherone and his ass-kicking hard rock combo, Tribe of Judah.

Any band who has a Wikipedia entry that is exactly one paragraph long deserves Rock Hall recognition. And it could never be denied that they sold dozens of albums back in the day!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I want Steel Panther to be nominated and inducted...Fucking RRHOF.
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    I want Steel Panther to be nominated and inducted...Fucking RRHOF.
    "Cuz my heart belongs to you...
    but my cock is community property."

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ...and death to all but metal.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That guitar riff is insane, I could listen to it all day...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Are you sure that's the one you are thinking of?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Are you sure that's the one you are thinking of?

Oh no...lol I was refering to Just like Tiger Woods...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh no...lol I was refering to Just like Tiger Woods...
    Steel Panther should be inducted just for the fact that they use the words "community property" in two different songs...how many bands have achieved this in their career...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Gary Cherone will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for Tribe of Judah. They were one of the biggest bands in rock history. They were mind-numbingly huge and changed not only the face of music but our entire planet. When I think of 2001-2003, I think not only of 9/11, the Bush years and the "War On Terror," I also think about how everybody in the world was talking about Gary Cherone and his ass-kicking hard rock combo, Tribe of Judah.

Any band who has a Wikipedia entry that is exactly one paragraph long deserves Rock Hall recognition. And it could never be denied that they sold dozens of albums back in the day!!
    At this point, the RnRHoF has let so many bands in...like, why the fuck NOT let Gary Cherone in? Let 'em all in. Let Josie And The Pussycats in. Let the Saved By The Bell miming cast band in.

As if anybody under 50 years old even gives two fucks.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    At this point, the RnRHoF has let so many bands in...like, why the fuck NOT let Gary Cherone in? Let 'em all in. Let Josie And The Pussycats in. Let the Saved By The Bell miming cast band in.

As if anybody under 50 years old even gives two fucks.
    What about the one-off side album, JUDAH AND THE PUSSYCATS (the Pussycats but let by Gary Cherone instead of the usually ever-present Josie)? It was a side-band that sold pairs of album!!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What about the one-off side album, JUDAH AND THE PUSSYCATS (the Pussycats but let by Gary Cherone instead of the usually ever-present Josie)? It was a side-band that sold pairs of album!!
    Like, put it this way...

I've liked the band X since I first heard them in the early 80s. LA punk band, released their first records in the late 1970s. First 4 or so albums were just...just great, great stuff.

They got some notoriety but were never super-famous or anything approaching that...MAYBE a couple of their albums eventually went platinum literally a decade or more after their initial release.

Point being, I have no idea if the band are in the Hall Of Fame or ever will be or whatever, and their inclusion (or lack thereof) has zero bearing on how I feel about their music. Does anyone seriously need the Hall Of Fame to include a band they like? Does said inclusion actually increase the enjoyment level of listening to the band one iota?

I dunno...I remember the hub-bub over KISS and the Hall Of Fame, like, a decade back or so. And fans saying the band should be in there and should have been in there years ago, blah blah blah. And I just remember not giving a single shit nor being able to understand why anyone else would. And I used to like KISS, so it wasn't a case of me never having had any use for the band ever. It was the same thing when...say...I recall a similar thing about Judas Priest not being in the Hall Of Fame. I liked Judas Priest just fine and couldn't have cared less one way or the other if the band were in there or not.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They should rename the RRHOF the Music HOF and most people wouldn't have a problem with the rap and country nominees. The fact it is called the RNR HOF is the problem, at least for me...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They should rename the RRHOF the Music HOF and most people wouldn't have a problem with the rap and country nominees. The fact it is called the RNR HOF is the problem, at least for me...
    Every time a non-rock act is inducted, there is a backlash. Then there are the people who defend that induction, saying stuff like "well, it all feeds back into itself" and "they were influenced by" etc. Usually by writers who are fans of said inductee.

There was a younger writer who worked for the daily paper here who would do that. He would also write articles about what shows we had needed to see in the 80's...when he was maybe ten years old...and didn't even live in Cleveland. It's like he would raid Jane Scott's notebooks. Jane Scott was a rock writer for the same paper FOREVER and was deemed to be the end all be all. I'd read his articles about shows I'd been to and always remembered it differently. He would also run articles about who should be in the HOF, one band was Pavement. Ever heard of Pavement? Me, neither.

"You can't please everyone all the time" applies to the Rock Hall.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Every time a non-rock act is inducted, there is a backlash. Then there are the people who defend that induction, saying stuff like "well, it all feeds back into itself" and "they were influenced by" etc. Usually by writers who are fans of said inductee.

There was a younger writer who worked for the daily paper here who would do that. He would also write articles about what shows we had needed to see in the 80's...when he was maybe ten years old...and didn't even live in Cleveland. It's like he would raid Jane Scott's notebooks. Jane Scott was a rock writer for the same paper FOREVER and was deemed to be the end all be all. I'd read his articles about shows I'd been to and always remembered it differently. He would also run articles about who should be in the HOF, one band was Pavement. Ever heard of Pavement? Me, neither.

"You can't please everyone all the time" applies to the Rock Hall.
    I fully understand the subjectivity involved in the choices made and the RRHOF is probably a for-profit organization, which I am too lazy to verify but each year when I see the nominees, I feel less and less like the targeted audience. Maybe I am getting too old...My wife told me 57 was the new 37 lol

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The real hall of fame is how many fans you have.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Thread Information