Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Halen
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

So, I saw Ozzy on February 27th, 1982. What, two weeks before Rhoads was killed? While I personally consider that to be his peak, I also saw him in '84 with Jake E Lee, and that was actually a great show, and Ozzy's voice was much better on that night, than it was in '82.

I totally agree with the assessment on Sharon Osbourne. She's a cunt. That last album Ozzy did with that producer/guitarist, fucking sucked balls. I can't believe Ozzy let her talk him into letting the producer be the lead guitarist on his album.

I am looking forward to his upcoming album, with all the different guitarists on it.

You guys talking about Rhode Island. There is a dude on Tik Tok that calls himself "The Gatekeeper" that supposedly has carried a big stick in the Rhode Island music scene for a lot of years.

Sesh, don't let your Libtardism get in the way of your common sense. Ted Nugent was 100% on the money with his Joan Jett take. That broad made some catchy tunes, but to put her even on the list, is nothing but a travesty of the highest degree. She doesn't belong in the top 500, let alone top 100. To put her over guys like Rik Emmett, and any of the others Ted mentioned, just takes any credibility away from the list. That's a FACT!

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's a list from 2003, also did you watch the video I posted?

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
        So, I saw Ozzy on February 27th, 1982. What, two weeks before Rhoads was killed? While I personally consider that to be his peak,
        You are from an older generation though.

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Fuck no I didn't watch the video. I don't care what year it was from. She does NOT belong on that list. Above Rik Emmett? C.C. Deville is a better guitarist than her. Sorry.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

So, I saw Ozzy on February 27th, 1982. What, two weeks before Rhoads was killed? While I personally consider that to be his peak, I also saw him in '84 with Jake E Lee, and that was actually a great show, and Ozzy's voice was much better on that night, than it was in '82.

I totally agree with the assessment on Sharon Osbourne. She's a cunt. That last album Ozzy did with that producer/guitarist, fucking sucked balls. I can't believe Ozzy let her talk him into letting the producer be the lead guitarist on his album.

I am looking forward to his upcoming album, with all the different guitarists on it.

You guys talking about Rhode Island. There is a dude on Tik Tok that calls himself "The Gatekeeper" that supposedly has carried a big stick in the Rhode Island music scene for a lot of years.

Sesh, don't let your Libtardism get in the way of your common sense. Ted Nugent was 100% on the money with his Joan Jett take. That broad made some catchy tunes, but to put her even on the list, is nothing but a travesty of the highest degree. She doesn't belong in the top 500, let alone top 100. To put her over guys like Rik Emmett, and any of the others Ted mentioned, just takes any credibility away from the list. That's a FACT!
            Basically, back in Rhode Island circa 1983-1986, one of my best friends immediate family members was a close friend of the premiere concert promoter in the region at time. A byproduct of that was that through the friend and the connection we got concert tickets to whatever shows we wanted to see at the main concert venue used for the name rock acts at the time. Subsequently, we saw...Christ, I'd have to sit down and think hard in terms of a list...upward of twenty rock shows there in a roughly two year or so period.

Dunno about the guy on Tik Tok in terms of who he is, but the promoter I'm referring to was a guy named Frank J. Russo. The venue was then known as the Providence Civic Center. The last show I saw in the Civic Center was in 1986/1987. At some point in the late 1990s or early 2000s, it became renamed the Dunkin' Donuts Center. The arena seats...maybe 14,000 people (give or take a couple thousand either way). I have no idea if they even put on rock concerts there anymore.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Fuck no I didn't watch the video. I don't care what year it was from. She does NOT belong on that list. Above Rik Emmett? C.C. Deville is a better guitarist than her. Sorry.
              Ha! Both Joan and Ted are milking it for all the publicity they can get. Do either of them really care? I doubt it. But it’s all about keeping your name out there and people buy your shit.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by silverfish
                2022 Nominees:

Beck
                Pat Benatar - 2nd nom
                Kate Bush - 3rd nom
                Devo - 3rd nom
                Duran Duran
                Eminem - 1st time eligible
                Eurythmics - 3rd nom
                Judas Priest - 3rd nom
                Fela Kuti - 2nd nom
                MC5 - 6th nom
                New York Dolls - 3rd nom
                Dolly Parton
                Rage Against the Machine - 4th nom
                Lionel Richie
                Carly Simon
                A Tribe Called Quest
                Dionne Warwick - 2nd nom

Fan vote leaderboard - https://vote.rockhall.com/en/results/

Beck? Unless it's the Beck with Jeff in front of the name, er, um...no.
                Pat Benetar - surprised she wasn't in there already.
                Kate Bush - always a critical favorite (assumedly male critics who liked to rub one out to her), but even just in terms of the fame I'd wager precious few in America even know who she is.
                Devo - yeah, I'll buy that. Ohio natives and all.
                Duran Duran - yeeesh...look, I like Duran Duran, but rock? Mmmm, maybe a couple tunes here and there.
                Eminem - not rock.
                Eurythmics - not rock.
                Judas Priest - should've been in there already.
                Fela Kuti - ?????
                MC5 - should've been in there already.
                New York Dolls - should've been in there already.
                Dolly Parton - great country artist, classily pointed out that she has never been a rock artist and said 'thanks but no thanks'
                Rage Against The Machine - posers: hope they never get in.
                Lionel Richie - ??? The Commodores, maybe. Lionel Richie solo? That's some of the softest schmaltz ever produced.
                Carly Simon - see Lionel Richie.
                A Tribe Called Quest - see Rage Against The Machine
                Dionne Warwick - fer fuck sake, is this nomination a joke?

Honestly, the place should just be named the Popular Music Hall Of Fame.

With each passing year, it becomes more and more apparent that most of the important rock acts have already gotten in, and compiling these nominee lists is really an exercise in scraping the bottom.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Dolly Parton is rock and roll? The whole thing is beyond stupid.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

I mean, the whole place has always had the aura of being the antithesis of what rock was about to begin with, in terms of rock not belonging in a museum...or that it shouldn't be put in a museum, at any rate.

Like I say, after 30+ years, the nominees going forward...it's just gonna get more and more ridiculous beyond the sterile, pussified, corporatized entity it already has been.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Well Queen won 0 Grammys, Abba 0 Grammys, the Stones 3 Grammys

Kanye West has 24...

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The problem with the Rock Hall has always been the board in NYC. First when Jann Wenner was running it, and now John Sykes (who ran MTV when it was good) is running it. Acts get inducted for the ratings they will bring to the HBO broadcast, not because they are truly worthy.

I agree that country, the blues, soul, R&B etc all feed back into "rock and roll," but I don't think that means Parton should get in. You gonna put Pat Boone in there for the "In A Metal Mood" album?

The Rock Hall says acts are considered because of their influence and perpetuation of rock and roll. I figured Duran Duran would have gotten in earlier just based on the videos pushing rock in another direction. The Durannie girls in my high school were better looking than the girls who were Ozzy and Rush fans, too. So there!

Priest kind of got the consolation prize, the Musical Excellence award. So did Ringo Starr for his solo work. I had the "Ringo" 8 track, and as much as I liked it as a kid, I know now it was nowhere the caliber of work Harrison and McCartney were putting out. It's like the pat on the head and "good job!" version, I think Priest deserved better.

Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis aren't exactly rock either. Neither was Nile Rodgers, if you only base it on the Chic stuff. But they wrote and produced HUGE hits, and all that feeds back in.
                        Last edited by twonabomber; 05-09-2022, 08:53 PM.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The original founder of MTV was Robert Pittman, who is actually a distant cousin of mine, though I've never met him. After he left MTV he went on to be involved with Clear Channel and AOL/Time Warner, so I suspect we probably wouldn't get along very well if we ever meet at a family reunion.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                            The original founder of MTV was Robert Pittman, who is actually a distant cousin of mine, though I've never met him. After he left MTV he went on to be involved with Clear Channel and AOL/Time Warner, so I suspect we probably wouldn't get along very well if we ever meet at a family reunion.
                            Donny Osmond is a distant cousin of mine and I never got any free tickets to anything. I did edit ski movies in the old Osmond studios though. They had their exotic cars parked on the sound stage and some of Marie's costumes were still there from television show days. Man. Those sequin covered dresses weigh a ton. They feel like they are made of chain mail or something.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              Dolly Parton is rock and roll? The whole thing is beyond stupid.
                              Dolly should get in any place she wants...

Comment

• Von Halen
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                                Dolly should get in any place she wants...
                                Tits first.

Comment

Working...