Annual Rock Hall Nominee Shit Show thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Dolly Parton is rock and roll? The whole thing is beyond stupid.
    She was the first to say it. She was on NPR saying she wanted them to withdraw her nomination. They wouldn't so she said she'd accept if winning but would do a rock album if she is inducted...

Comment

Originally posted by Fairwrning View Post
      Dolly should get in any place she wants...
      Never underestimate the power of tits.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Horns up!

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Rob Halford singing Jolene?

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

If he could pull off Diamonds & Rust, why the Hell not?
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

This year's nominees

Comment

Yawner...
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

yup.

The Rock Hall recently changed their mission statement:

Earlier this week, at an online press event, the organization shared a new mission statement, purportedly designed to address the criticism of the recent nominees: "Born from the collision of rhythm & blues, country and gospel, rock 'n' roll is a spirit that is inclusive and ever-changing. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame celebrates the sound of youth culture and honors the artists whose music connects us all."
                  I'd like to see Warren Zevon get in and maybe David Letterman induct him.

Comment

Didn't realize the White Stripes were 25 years old.

So they are so incredibly fucking talented/important/influential they get nominated the first year they qualify whereas Rush had to wait another 15 years?

Comment

• So let's see....

Kate Bush - Would we be talking about her at all if "Stranger Things" hadn't revived her one big hit?
                      Sheryl Crow - She's OK, but does she need to get in on the first ballot?
                      Missy Elliot - Who?? Seriously, I know she's a rapper, but I can't name a single song. Don't think she's had the "impact" of NWA or Public Enemy
                      Iron Maiden - Absolutely... but not Blaze what's his fuck. I'm sure they will let DiAnno in because he was an original member.
                      Joy Division/New Order - Hell yeah! Should have been in years ago.
                      Cyndi Lauper - Not one of my favorites, but I'm OK with it
                      George Michael - They're really stretching the limits of what they call Rock n Roll, aren't they? I'd vote for him over Missy Elliot, I guess.
                      Willie Nelson - Obviously not a rocker, but he's very worthy. And he's 90 years old now, so he doesn't have time to wait for three or four ballots to get in!
                      Rage Against The Machine - I'll be raging against the machine if they don't get in this time.
                      Soundgarden - Should have made it in on the first year of eligibility (2012)
                      The Spinners - Sure, why not? I only remember one or two of their songs, but they probably had more impact than half of this list.
                      A Tribe Called Quest - Honestly can't remember anything they did. But they probably did more than Missy Elliot.
                      White Stripes - Jack White is the most overrated fucking guitarist of the last century, but the industry loves him. But he can wait a few years.
                      Warren Zevon - Send all the lawyers, guns, and money needed to get him inducted! No doubt he should be the first one on this list who makes the final cut.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• So if Rage & Soundgarden get in on the same ballot, is that also a de-facto nomination for Audioslave??
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Originally posted by FORD View Post
                          So let's see....

Kate Bush - Would we be talking about her at all if "Stranger Things" hadn't revived her one big hit?
                          Sheryl Crow - She's OK, but does she need to get in on the first ballot?
                          Missy Elliot - Who?? Seriously, I know she's a rapper, but I can't name a single song. Don't think she's had the "impact" of NWA or Public Enemy
                          Iron Maiden - Absolutely... but not Blaze what's his fuck. I'm sure they will let DiAnno in because he was an original member.
                          Joy Division/New Order - Hell yeah! Should have been in years ago.
                          Cyndi Lauper - Not one of my favorites, but I'm OK with it
                          George Michael - They're really stretching the limits of what they call Rock n Roll, aren't they? I'd vote for him over Missy Elliot, I guess.
                          Willie Nelson - Obviously not a rocker, but he's very worthy. And he's 90 years old now, so he doesn't have time to wait for three or four ballots to get in!
                          Rage Against The Machine - I'll be raging against the machine if they don't get in this time.
                          Soundgarden - Should have made it in on the first year of eligibility (2012)
                          The Spinners - Sure, why not? I only remember one or two of their songs, but they probably had more impact than half of this list.
                          A Tribe Called Quest - Honestly can't remember anything they did. But they probably did more than Missy Elliot.
                          White Stripes - Jack White is the most overrated fucking guitarist of the last century, but the industry loves him. But he can wait a few years.
                          Warren Zevon - Send all the lawyers, guns, and money needed to get him inducted! No doubt he should be the first one on this list who makes the final cut.
                          There are always complaints that there aren't enough women inducted.

Also look at it as which acts will bring bigger ratings for the HBO broadcast. Seems like that's all they care about now.

Comment

• Originally posted by twonabomber View Post

The Rock Hall recently changed their mission statement:
                            In addition to the eligiblity requirement of a band/artists having "released its first commercial
                            recording at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination," the HoF new goal is to “celebrate
                            the sound of youth culture and honor the artists whose music connects us all” because “rock
                            and roll is a spirit that is inclusive and ever-changing.”

I'm guessing the "youth culture" (hip hop, artists of color) and "music connects us all" (Dolly Parton,
                            Willie Nelson) sections were stated up front shortly before the nominess were released in hopes that
                            people wouldn't pitch a fit when they saw the list. Also opens things up a bit as they're probably
                            running out of old white guy acts to induct.
                            Originally posted by sadaist
                            I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• If they want more women inducted, how about women who played in actual rock bands? The Runaways. Joan Jett is in, but why not the rest of them?? The Bangles should certainly qualify. Liz Phair should be eligible by now.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Maybe I shouldn't be admitting this but I've never heard of The Spinners, A Tribe Called Quest or Warren Zevon...

Comment

Working...
                                X