ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    I picked up Copeland's Police Deranged For Orchestra but haven't listened to it yet.

Copeland has some good stuff on his YouTube, that drum program he did on the BBC was good.
    Saw on FB the other day that Copeland is going to be in Erie, PA with the Erie Philharmonic (I didn't know Erie had a philharmonic!) doing Police Deranged for Orchestra. We're going, tickets were only $40. So Andy Summers Monday night, and Copeland a week later.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I had an opportunity to see Copeland right before the start of the pandemic BUT he was playing with that asshole from Phish. So...no.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Did someone say fish?
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Saw on FB the other day that Copeland is going to be in Erie, PA with the Erie Philharmonic...
    Well fuck I would never have guessed that either, It's kind of like finding out your local drug gang has a youth theater wing....

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    2024 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees Announced

Mary J. Blige
    Mariah Carey
    Cher
    Dave Matthews Band
    Eric B. & Rakim
    Foreigner
    Peter Frampton
    Jane's Addiction
    Kool & the Gang
    Lenny Kravitz
    Oasis
    Sinead O'Connor
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Sade
    A Tribe Called Quest

Of those, Carey, Cher, Foreigner, Frampton, Kool & the Gang, Kravitz, Oasis, O'Connor, Osbourne
    and Sade are all first time nominees.

More at:
    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-hall-nominees-2024
    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock...es-roundtable/
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The RRHOF has no shame.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That is probably the weakest group of nominees I have ever seen. It looks like a "catch up" class, everyone that they have passed over and a few that have expressed outrage over not being in.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If Oasis and Foreigner get inducted, it'll be months of "will the Gallagher brothers reunite?" and "will Lou Gramm and Mick Jones play together?"

O'Connor is an obvious make-up nomination and now that she's dead they don't have to deal with her issues. And whoever inducts her will probably play a song that isn't even hers!

They kind of forecast Frampton's nomination, he played at the last induction ceremony.

And again, no Warren Zevon nomination. He did pretty good in the fan vote last year.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Foreigner and Frampton stand out to me...and that Qzzy guy...still no Thin Lizzy

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just renewed my Rock Hall membership. I'm not saying I wouldn't have renewed if I saw this list of inductees first. I will just ignore the future Cher and Mariah Carey exhibits.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Post A Complete Fucking Joke

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    Mary J. Blige
    So moronic, I don't even know how to describe my feelings at its ridiculousness. (Some idiots are bound to claim it's a racial thing, objecting to this...and it's NOT. This just is IN NO WAY rock and roll.)

Mariah Carey
    Mariah Carey is music for people who don't like music.

It's the antithesis to anything rock and roll.

At this point, she's basically a Christmas artist.

My bass player and one of my oldest friends listened to Mariah Carey. At one point, the rest of the band & I threatened to beat the shit out of him.

Cher
    I do NOT like Cher. She may be a fellow Armenian (I'm HALF-Armenian), but her music (and voice) just does nothing for me.

But I guess I can see her getting in. She's been influential to a lot of female singers, including rock ones.

Frankly, I think Sonny Bono should be in there before her...he was a talented, influential producer (maybe he IS in there...fuck'd if I know).

I GOT YOU BABE was, frankly, as influential a single as LIKE A ROLLING STONE.

Dave Matthews Band
    Oh, shut the fuck up.

I do NOT get Dave Matthews. I hear his music and want to vomit.

I actually once refused to have sex with a girl when, as I was getting to know her, she told me she "follows" Dave Matthews Band.

We live in a sad world if Dave Matthews Band gets in...and Soundgarden, STP, Alice in Chains, Jane's Addiction (see below) don't...

Eric B. & Rakim
    MICROPHONE FIEND is an amazing song.

But I liked it better when RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE did it. (And they got in last year...not long before they announced their break-up...again.)

Foreigner
    They well fucking deserve to be in there.

I think it's hilarious that Jann Wenner has been purposefully trying to keep them from getting in for decades. He gets thrown out of the Hall on his ass for being a racist, misogynistic asshole...and then suddenly one of his many "nemesis bands" get nominated.

This band had a ton of hits that are still technically in the "rock" vein. COLD AS ICE, BLUE MORNING BLUE DAY, HOT BLOODED, DOUBLE VISION...these are catchy rock singles that (better or worse) were huge influences on the "arena rock" genre that really hit in the 1980s. They SHOULD be in. (I've NEVER liked Journey...ever. I sort of think of FOREIGNER as the JOURNEY that I like.)

Peter Frampton
    He may not have invented the double-live-LP...but he perfected the idea.

KISS ALIVE! is an absolute classic...and I like KISS more than Frampton...but one could make the argument that FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE! is an ever better album than ALIVE!

I've had a ton of late-night drives with buddies, coming down from a mild pot trip, riding along to DO YOU FEEL LIKE WE DO. (And no, it's not just my generation talking...I was born the year this album came out.)

Frampton deserves to be in. He should have gotten in a long time ago. Maybe instead of Sheryl fucking Crow of fucking Missy Elliott...or LONG before that.

Jane's Addiction
    It's a joke that they're not even in yet.

I bet they'll get passed over.

They may not be my favorite band from this "scene"...but they were one of the most influential.

Perry Farrell is one of the most influential figures in rock history. His festival is one of the last truly ROCK festivals still going.

They should have been in years ago.

I still like their ENTOURAGE song...the best part of that song (the middle-eight) got cut out of the main titles of the show.

Kool & the Gang
    They were a natural progression of where the funk sound (key to much of rock's progression in the 1970s) was going.

If you just know that CELEBRATE shit, check out some of their earlier albums. There was some serious funk in there.

One of the most-sampled bands in history...and they were actually really good.

Lenny Kravitz
    Here's a guy who does that whole "Play all the instruments, one-by-one, in the studio" thing...but does it way better than that fucking hack Wolfgang Bill Van Halen.

Kravitz has produced a lot of dreck on his albums. He definitely has produced a ton of filler on his records.

But he's also made some serious funk and rock and roll tracks.

FREEDOM TRAIN, I BUILT THIS GARDEN FOR US, FIELDS OF JOY, ARE YOU GONNA GO MY WAY, IS THERE ANY LOVE IN YOUR HEART, SISTER, SPINNING AROUND OVER YOU, TUNNEL VISION, BEYOND THE 7TH SKY, SISTAMAMALOVER...

I still hate that FLY AWAY song...and his AMERICAN WOMAN cover fucking sucks...

But he should have gotten in years ago.

Oasis
    They should have gotten in so many years ago. (I bet BLUR isn't in either.)

Like them or not, they made a ton of actual rock songs that people love singing along live in large concert halls or fields or stadiums.

CHAMPAGNE SUPERNOVA, DON'T LOOK BACK IN ANGER, LIVE FOREVER, THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING IDLE, THE MASTERPLAN...

Yeah, they should be in.

And watching the brothers threaten to share a stage and the drama that could ensue could make this the first worthwhile broadcast of the ceremony in many years...

Sinead O'Connor
    I'm not a big fan (my wife is a nice Irish girl and likes her).

I think what she did on SNL was quite ballsy. The shit thrown her way...the Church really needed someone to shed some light on a disgusting cover-up.

She did have a great voice. (Doesn't this REALLY seem like one of those, "Oh, she's dead. We should acknowledge this...but we won't actually give her the award" thing-ys?)

Her version of NOTHING COMPARES 2 U was very good...but when the 1984 Prince studio version was finally released a few years ago, I remember thinking, "Yeah, nobody does Prince better than Prince." (How many great songs can one human being write...especially in the space of one year?)

Ozzy Osbourne
    I've always liked Black Sabbath more than Ozzy solo...

...but I still love Ozzy solo (at least his great albums).

Frankly, this shouldn't be an induction of Ozzy as a solo artist. This should be an induction of the absolutely unbeatable Blizzard of Ozz band. Is Randy Rhoads even in the Hall of Shame?

BLIZZARD OF OZZ (the album) is one of the greatest albums ever recorded...by anyone: SUICIDE SOLUTION, REVELATION (MOTHER EARTH), I DON'T KNOW...these are just great, great songs.

DIARY OF A MADMAN is also stunning (some people like it better than the debut). BELIEVER is one of my favorite metal songs ever recorded.

Those two albums alone...but BARK AT THE MOON, NO MORE TEARS, even OZZMOSIS...the TRIBUTE and OZZY LIVE concert LPs (both with Rhoads)...

...he'll get passed over (of course)...

But he should have been in years ago.

Sade
    Her fucking music just goes right over my head.

I so don't fucking get it.

I think the best way they could execute child-killers or mass-shooters or serial killers would be to put them in a small room and blare SMOOTH OPERATOR at an ear-melting volume until the criminal's ears and brain melt.

Is Sade rock and roll?

If Sade is rock and roll, then if Sade were equivalent to Chuck Berry, Hall & Oates would be Napalm Death.

A Tribe Called Quest
    I like rap just fine. Run DMC, LL Cool J, N.W.A., Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent, Dr. Dre solo or as a producer, Eminem, Public Enemy (Chuck D valiantly proved that there is not a strong line in the sand between rap 'n' metal or rap 'n' rock and roll), KRS-One, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Ice-T, Beastie Boys (their run of LPs from PAUL'S BOUTIQUE to HELLO NASTY is truly perfect), Afrika Bambaataa...

But...A Tribe Called Quest?

Eh...I guess I don't know enough to make a real judgment call on this one.

BUT...that's my problem.

As a partially-Swedish person who loves the pop-side of rock music, I was defending ABBA getting in.

Hell, I think K.C. and the Sunshine Band should be in.

BUT...once they started admitting as a "Rock Hall" that they need to start branching out in terms of WHAT GENRES they want to included...THAT is when they made their "elite/cool club" agenda clearer than ever.

One could make a good case for them being right about inducting Madonna.

But...once they started inducting music that truly exists as the ANTITHESIS to rock music (e.g. Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston) and once they started inducting people just because these people have a lot of friends in the business who really are NOT groundbreaking and really are NOT very good (e.g. Sheryl Crow), they lost the LAST SLIVER of respectability they might have had left.

The whole fucking place is a joke.

STILL NO Thin Lizzy, Soundgarden (or ANY of Chris Cornell's different iterations), Stone Temple Pilots, Motörhead, Iron Maiden, Bad Company, The Smiths (I'm not a big fan but I cannot see how they justify this), Jethro Tull, MC5, Bad Company (or Free), Guess Who, Sonic Youth, etc.

It's a complete joke that T.Rex and the Doobie Brothers did not get in until 2020 (I'm not a huge Doobie Brothers fan, but they should have been in decades before that...and T.Rex should have been inducted their first year of eligibilty).

I hate awards shows anyway. And any institution that tells me that Mariey Carey is ground-breaking rock and roll but Iron Maiden or Lemmy are not can go fuck themselves a million times over...
    Last edited by Rikk; 02-11-2024 at 12:54 PM.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This guy should have been inducted on the first ballot. Still hasn’t been nominated yet.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Warham View Post
    This guy should have been inducted on the first ballot. Still hasn’t been nominated yet.

I'm not a HUGE fan by any measure...but I think it's a joke that Idol hasn't been nominated. He's a huge figure, was a massive star and has influenced a ton of people.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just renewed my Rock Hall membership. I'm not saying I wouldn't have renewed if I saw this list of inductees first.
    Shame on you for even having a membership!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    I'm not a HUGE fan by any measure...but I think it's a joke that Idol hasn't been nominated. He's a huge figure, was a massive star and has influenced a ton of people.
    I love the guy. There was a time in the 90s when I pretty much took my fashion cues from him, including the hair.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    There was a point I remember and I did check it at the time although it's probably not true any more, where Billy Idol had more Best Of albums out than albums which is pretty amazing.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Na, he had Vital Idol that was 1985 and re-released in 1987. “Mony, Mony” hit #1 that year.
    Best Of was 1988 and Europe only
    Best Of (different version) in 2001. Had “Don’t You Forget About Me” cover.
    Idolize Yourself was 2008. Had two new songs.

He’s had 7 studio albums, a Christmas album, and several EPs.
    Last edited by Warham; 02-11-2024 at 08:07 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    O'Connor is an obvious make-up nomination and now that she's dead they don't have to deal with her issues. And whoever inducts her will probably play a song that isn't even hers!
    To be fair she did have more than one song but you guys wouldn't know that because she was completely and utterly cancelled in the US for accusing the catholic church of having a pedophile problem 10 years before it was proved.

She was also a bit fucking crazy but that's also why she did it.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Na, he had Vital Idol that was 1985 and re-released in 1987. “Mony, Mony” hit #1 that year.
    Best Of was 1988 and Europe only
    Best Of in 2001. Had “Don’t You Forget About Me” cover.
    Idolize Yourself was 2008. Had two new songs.

He’s had 7 studio albums, a Christmas album, and several EPs.
    Oh don't make me do this it's too much work.

I think it was in the early 1990s but there was a time. I'll maybe take the time to check. Of course it could be a false memory but I don't think so.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There we go -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Idol_discography

At the moment it's 7-7.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He had a span between 1993 and 2005 where he really didn’t do much.

The actual career he’s had speaks for itself. Chart success (four top ten hits), one of the early MTV icons, had platinum albums and had always been one of the coolest looking rock stars ever. He also has done the best cover of “Jump” by anyone.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm not knocking him I like his best work and have covered it at various times in bands. Nothing wrong with quality over quantity.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I like how he emphasized having songs with good basslines and didn’t think it was a sin to make his material dance friendly. He knew where he could pick up an audience when he moved to NY. I think that’s where he differed from many of his punk contemporaries, especially after he went solo after Generation X.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He could also write a good song unlike most of his punk contemporaries.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sorry I turned this into an Idol thread. I don’t really talk about him as much as I would like.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This thread appears every year and everyone gets annoyed - I think the problem is that they need to change the name to the 'Modern Music Hall of Fame'.

Most of it isn't Rock (N Roll) and hasn't been for a long time...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I do think groups like Public Enemy and NWA should be in a Hall of Fame. I’m just not sure it should be the RRHOF. But that bridge has already been crossed.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think the Grammys are actually even worse although for some reason seem to be more respected.

Beyoncé and Jay-Z have won 56 Grammys between them.

Queen, Guns N' Roses, Abba, Van Halen and The Who have none. Zero. Zilch.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Grammys have been a joke since the 60s. “Good Vibrations” didn’t win for 1966 recording of the year even though it’s the greatest #1 single of all-time.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It should be law that every time someone is introduced as a 'Grammy Award Winner' that they should have to say 'as is Beyoncé and Jay Z's 12 year old daughter'.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OK...what Liam Gallagher did this morning is awesome.

"Fuck the Rock n Roll hall of fame its full of BUMBACLARTS LG x," Oasis singer Liam Gallagher wrote on X, making clear his feelings on the matter. ("Bumbaclart" is a Jamaican derogatory term that literally means "ass cloth.")

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Stone Temple Pilots should be in the Hall too. Eligible since 2017. Had a #1 album in Purple, “Interstate Love Song” was the #1 Mainstream Rock Song for a record (at the time) 14 weeks. Millions of sales.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't understand how the J. Geils Band aren't inducted yet.
    They were among the best performers in the 1970s and their albums produced by Bill Szymczyk were awesome.
    They did two tremendous live albums in 4 years, each recorded in Detroit.
    Guitarist J. Geils died some 7 years ago. Maybe the other five don't give a fuck about the Rock Hall,
    I don't know, but the JGB should really have been induct for a long time already.
    They induct non-rock acts while true, prominent rock 'n' roll bands are ignored.
    It definitely means nothing.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Stone Temple Pilots should be in the Hall too. Eligible since 2017. Had a #1 album in Purple, “Interstate Love Song” was the #1 Mainstream Rock Song for a record (at the time) 14 weeks. Millions of sales.
    Definitely influential and should be inducted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    I don't understand how the J. Geils Band aren't inducted yet.
    They were among the best performers in the 1970s and their albums produced by Bill Szymczyk were awesome.
    They did two tremendous live albums in 4 years, each recorded in Detroit.
    Guitarist J. Geils died some 7 years ago. Maybe the other five don't give a fuck about the Rock Hall,
    I don't know, but the JGB should really have been induct for a long time already.
    They induct non-rock acts while true, prominent rock 'n' roll bands are ignored.
    It definitely means nothing.
    Geils has been nominated at least once. They were huge in the midwest. But are they influential?
    Last edited by twonabomber; 02-18-2024 at 10:51 AM.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Geils has been nominated at least once. They were huge in the midwest. But are they influential?
    I'd say so. If you happen to like sexist predictable trad rock with a tinge of Phil Spector influence and East Coast shtick.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck off, Boomer Vomit

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Fuck off, Boomer Vomit

Eventually, every act is going to get in there anyway, so it's like...how outraged or whatever can I continue to feel when so and so gets nominated?
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    I'd say so. If you happen to like sexist predictable trad rock with a tinge of Phil Spector influence and East Coast shtick.
    That's what the JGB was about, in a way, maybe. But they were a hell of a group who played so tight and really delivered. Predictable, but so efficient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5clpWXFfrD4

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Foreigner rules! One of the best live bands I've ever seen! (Not this bullshit they have going on now, I'm talking back in the day)

Thread Information