Is 'Never Enough' by Ratt the worst live album ever released ever by anyone ever?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Is 'Never Enough' by Ratt the worst live album ever released ever by anyone ever?

Holy shit how, why, how????

Check out 'Lay It Down' on Spotify and move on from there...
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Under the shits you will find me...

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

At least [Never Enough] was a show from the 1980s, and Ratt didn't opt to go the Tokyo Dome route and put out a more recent show...

But, yeah...saw them twice in the 1980s - once as an opening act, once as a headliner - and neither of those shows left me with the feeling that Ratt were a particularly impressive or compelling arena act. Certainly not in comparison to what bands like Van Halen, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Dio were doing live at the time. I'm not saying that Ratt totally sucked live, but Stephen Pearcy (much like, say, Vince Neil) was NEVER a good live singer. The rest of the band were good live...for me, what I remember was the band were never quite as good live as they were in the studio. First time I saw them, they were out touring the Out Of The Cellar album, opening up for Billy Squier. I quite liked Out Of The Cellar (still do), but I remember thinking that they never really...they never took off live and sort of transcended the studio material in performance.

Second time I saw them as a headlining act, it was a similar experience, where the production qualities of their studio work were aspects they couldn't quite recreate in a live setting. In spite of the periodic explosions and pyrotechnics with the stage production as a headlining act, the sound of the music live came across as sort of thin...without the advantages of multi-tracked guitars and backing vocals, Ratt live didn't have a particularly rich sound.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Ironically they seem to have repeatedly sacked Beau Hill the producer that did those great early albums even though he was clearly getting the absolute best possible out of them.

They would get someone else in it would sound shit and then they would be forced to go back to him.

I suspect substances were involved...

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          Ironically they seem to have repeatedly sacked Beau Hill the producer that did those great early albums even though he was clearly getting the absolute best possible out of them.

They would get someone else in it would sound shit and then they would be forced to go back to him.

I suspect substances were involved...
          Doubtless some of the band were indulging in whatever here and there...

With RATT, I tend to think it was that they really only had one really good album's worth of material in them, that being the first album. And they had several years to work up the material that ended up on that first album.

The stuff after Out of the Cellar, a lot of the tunes on those albums came across as dashed off, which probably was the case. Like, I could sit down today and listen to Out of the Cellar from start-to-finish. The post-Cellar stuff, I'd be skipping tracks big time...too much filler.

Quiet Riot were the same way, in that they had that one really good album in them. Hate to say it, but that sort of applies to Dokken too, although perhaps to a lesser degree. And having seen all three of those bands in the 1980's, what struck me back then was how underwhelming all three were live...noticeably not as good live as they were on record.

Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...