FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Dave opening for KI$$...

Sesh, at first I thought that shutting down the forum was due to this...

Capture.jpg

David Lee Roth jumps on Kiss' 2020 farewell tour in time for Midwest dates

By Chris Riemenschneider DECEMBER 17, 2019 — 10:07AM
    chrisr_1576598648_DiamondDave2.jpg

After recruiting a painter to open its “final” tour last year, Kiss has lined up one of rock’s most famous cut-ups for its 2020 U.S. dates, including the Feb. 24 stop at Xcel Energy Center.

Van Halen singer David Lee Roth was announced as the warm-up act for upcoming U.S. dates on the End of the Road Tour, including other mid-February Midwest gigs in Sioux City, Grand Forks and Lincoln. Plenty of tickets to those shows and the St. Paul gig remain via Ticketmaster. Kiss’ farewell outing already stopped at Target Center last February and is confirmed to continue rolling through July 2021.

Ol’ Diamond Dave certainly adds intrigue, though. The 65-year-old singer hasn’t been seen in the Twin Cities since Van Halen’s last show at the X in 2012. His singing voice that night was even shakier than some of Kiss co-founder Paul Stanley’s recent performances, but he remained as much a character as ever.

There were strong rumors of a Van Halen reunion tour happening this past summer, but health issues with Eddie Van Halen and ongoing squabbling between the band members prompted Roth to declare the band “finished” and announce his own tour with a two-guitar-anchored new group starting with a Las Vegas residency in January.

“I've inherited the band de facto — whatever that means," he said in a podcast a few months ago. "I think it means if you inherit it, carry this proudly. Van Halen isn't gonna be coming back in the fashion that you know.”

Most fans already know to except the unexpected when Diamond Dave ventures off on his own.

http://www.startribune.com/david-lee...tes/566275692/
    Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 12-28-2019 at 05:01 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

1977: KISS were a cool band who [at lest Gene Simmons did] enabled VH to record what could have been their first album.
    1978: Van Halen, VH's first album, kicks everybody's ass in music industry.
    VH opens for Black Sabbath and they steal the show.
    1978-1984: Van Halen rules the world.

2020: Dave will be Ki$$'s support act...

As a fan, I don't feel excited at all. My lower jaw dropped in despair when I learnt about it.

3. 2 users say thank you to Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

moose (02-06-2020),Terry (12-28-2019)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    Sesh, at first I thought that shutting down the forum was due to this...
    I see it very much as Dave just returning to his roots back in the bar days of playing live before some prerecorded disco starts...

He has supported Ki$$ before at Donnington in 1988 following a set by Guns N Roses where a couple of people were crushed to death.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

5. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (12-28-2019)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:34 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

DLR opening is not enough for me to give Gene any more money.

7. 2 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (12-28-2019),Nickdfresh (12-29-2019)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    I guess there's some folks out there that might be excited with the pairing of Diamond Dave and Ki$$... can't say I've run across anyone like that. But WTF anything is possible...

At 65, it's tough to find anyone willing to hire you despite your experience... mainly because you'd be a pain in the ass to manage and put up with! In Dave's case, he's way over-qualified as a pain in the ass to manage and put up with...

At his age... you would only get out and work if you "needed to" or "wanted to"... which is it?

We're not far out from the Vegas January shows... this should be interesting...

9. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (12-28-2019),Terry (12-28-2019)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I just hope Dave will sing a little better than Paul Stanley at least.

11. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-28-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    1977: KISS were a cool band who [at lest Gene Simmons did] enabled VH to record what could have been their first album.
    1978: Van Halen, VH's first album, kicks everybody's ass in music industry.
    VH opens for Black Sabbath and they steal the show.
    1978-1984: Van Halen rules the world.

2020: Dave will be Ki$$'s support act...

As a fan, I don't feel excited at all. My lower jaw dropped in despair when I learnt about it.
    Seeing Dave open for Bad Company in 1999, I was somewhat psyched because Dave hadn't been touring since the YFLM album...plus, the 1999 set was basically wall-to-wall CVH tunes, more than a few of which Roth hadn't played live since the 1980s. And after 1996, it wasn't looking like Roth was going to sing for Van Halen again anytime soon. I had no real use for Bad Company then...or even prior to 1999: didn't hate them, but I never thought they were much beyond an average rock band. I left after Roth's opening set.

2020, and Dave opening for KISS...well, I will say on the whole I've enjoyed KISS much, much more than I ever did Bad Company, but at this stage of the game KISS is just far too old for me to bother. I had meant to go see one of the KISS reunion shows in the 1990s, but never got around to it. Now, a KISS with no Ace, no Peter, by and large canned vocals being mimed to...KISS is just way, way past it for me. Not worth more than - at MOST - $30 bucks a ticket in terms of what I'm willing to pay now, and doubtless their 2nd 'farewell tour' will be priced much higher than that.

Far as Dave 2020 if he's not fronting Van Halen...meh...I couldn't be bothered seeing Van Halen Mach 4 in 2015, thus the drawing power of Dave fronting a bunch of nobodies, regardless of how competent they are, said drawing power just isn't there. Really, about the only way I can see paying to see Dave perform now is if he is fronting a CVH farewell tour, and I just don't think THAT is ever going to happen.

13. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (12-29-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I guess there's some folks out there that might be excited with the pairing of Diamond Dave and Ki$$... can't say I've run across anyone like that. But WTF anything is possible...

At 65, it's tough to find anyone willing to hire you despite your experience... mainly because you'd be a pain in the ass to manage and put up with! In Dave's case, he's way over-qualified as a pain in the ass to manage and put up with...

At his age... you would only get out and work if you "needed to" or "wanted to"... which is it?

We're not far out from the Vegas January shows... this should be interesting...
    I'll be interested to see and hear audio and video from the Vegas shows. For the sake of those travelling a long way specifically for those shows, one hopes Dave has a capable backing band and is going to turn in a series of vocal performances that don't sound goddamned awful.

15. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

kenny8 (01-08-2020),ZahZoo (12-29-2019)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I just hope Dave will sing a little better than Paul Stanley at least.
    At least, if Dave remains true to form, his vocals will be live...warts and all. And as bad as he has been sounding live in the last 8 years, at least he isn't miming it, and I honestly applaud him for that.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I'll be interested to see and hear audio and video from the Vegas shows. For the sake of those travelling a long way specifically for those shows, one hopes Dave has a capable backing band and is going to turn in a series of vocal performances that don't sound goddamned awful.
    That's the key risks... musicians worth a shit..? Will Dave put the effort into actually singing or just over-amp and Yelp the Night Away™..?

18. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-30-2019)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Kiss at this point remind me of these fireworks boxes you get which are single ignition where you light it and step back and the whole underwhelming show happens.

I'm convinced at this point that not only are they miming the whole show, they will have programmed everything else into that so the lights and the pyros will all be happening at the exact same point triggered by the same program running the music track.

I get that some people have some emotional investment in the Kiss thing but watching some old guys in wigs and makeup miming to a show like that has no more interest to me than watching the latest boy band 'live'. If I did end up at a show I would leave one or two songs after Dave's set like I did at the tour with Hagar. But hey each to their own and I can see how it makes sense to the bands and promoters.

20. 4 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (12-30-2019),Nickdfresh (12-30-2019),Terry (12-30-2019),ZahZoo (01-01-2020)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Kiss at this point remind me of these fireworks boxes you get which are single ignition where you light it and step back and the whole underwhelming show happens.

I'm convinced at this point that not only are they miming the whole show, they will have programmed everything else into that so the lights and the pyros will all be happening at the exact same point triggered by the same program running the music track.

I get that some people have some emotional investment in the Kiss thing but watching some old guys in wigs and makeup miming to a show like that has no more interest to me than watching the latest boy band 'live'. If I did end up at a show I would leave one or two songs after Dave's set like I did at the tour with Hagar. But hey each to their own and I can see how it makes sense to the bands and promoters.
    Faked fireworks, even. The bangs will be pre-recorded.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

I'd tend to think with the pyro that the detonations have been rehearsed and are timed for the same spots in the set every night just so the band members can make sure they are positioned properly re: not burning the fuck out of themselves.

Kid in the 1970s...man, seeing a KISS show circa 1977 or 1979 would have been a wet dream even before I was old enough to have one, much less know what one was.

Teenager in the 1980s...the one KISS show I saw in 1985 - makeupless, on the Asylum tour - definitely underwhelming compared to the hype of KISS in their 1970s prime.

Twenty's in the 1990s...should have made a better effort to see one of those reunion shows from 1996 to 1998.

Nearly 50 in 2019...the thrill is gone in terms of KISS being a Bucket List-type show, even if this retirement sticks. Much like the 4 year deluge of Star Wars movies, KISS has run the concept into the ground in terms of what I found appealing in the 1970s having any allure today. Just a case of overkill.

I do get that there folks out there who still derive whatever enjoyment they get out of KISS. God bless 'em, I hope they enjoy the shows next year.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    That's the key risks... musicians worth a shit..? Will Dave put the effort into actually singing or just over-amp and Yelp the Night Away™..?
    I'd be more surprised if Dave DIDN'T assemble a bunch of musicians who weren't - the very least - capable of playing the material competently than I would if Dave didn't manage to put the kibosh on the yelping and strained, off-key yelling: those two vocal strategies have been front and center since 2012...Roth has pretty much had a 4 year layoff save for that charity gig a couple years ago...and I will say that what Roth brought to the table in 2007/2008 vocally was quite an upgrade from the performances I saw in 2005 and 2006...so maybe Dave is gonna kick it up a notch vocally with these Vegas shows and KISS tour.

I mean, I honestly hope so. Far as the band goes, the lineup I saw in 1999 outside of Luzier weren't particularly charismatic in terms of showmanship, but the band SOUNDED good. Hopefully, the same applies for the Vegas gigs.

Should Dave go out, fob off the vocals and try to get by on his tried and true Al Jolson dance moves and mug his way through the set...well, I tend to think it won't make a good night out for the audience unless one is a diehard Roth fan to the point where anything Dave does is just fine and dandy.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

An optimist might say that Dave will have full artistic control back to either add more show and spectacle.

It's got to be less of a band than the DLR Band and that felt like a backing band. Dave solo hasn't been a 'band' since EEAS. Maybe he could/should copy the Prince thing by branding the backing band as a thing in itself like 'The Revolution'. 'NPG' and so on.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 12-30-2019 at 07:49 PM.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:34 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Supposedly the band has been named Horses of God

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

...the lineup I saw in 1999 outside of Luzier weren't particularly charismatic in terms of showmanship, but the band SOUNDED good. Hopefully, the same applies for the Vegas gigs.
    I think at this point in time DLR would be better off going with a band of sound over show.
    He is the show (dial it back to a 6 or 7) and then let "the music do the talking". I really think.

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Not quite the same ring as Hide Your Sheep - I'd suggest the Four (Five) Horsemen of the Apocalypse (sugar, starch, fat, grease, alcohol).

All yours, Dave.
    No charge.
    Last edited by silverfish; 12-30-2019 at 10:13 PM.

27. Thanked silverfish for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-11-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    It's funny the different way people think. If I was naming a band the very first thing I would do is Google it.

A bunch of pages saying "Horses of God is a 2012 Moroccan drama film about the 2003 Islamic terrorist Casablanca bombings.The film won several awards, and was Morocco's submission for the 85th Academy Awards" would really put me off.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2023 @ 01:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Traveling from Sweden to see Dave and I´m super excited to see the Vegas show. I´m aware that he can´t sing like before, I think he sang really good when I saw VH in MSG 2007, but I only gave the last live album a cringeing listen. Seeing Dave in a smaller venue with all lights on Dave where Dave can be Dave is much more appealing than see him open for KISS.
    To have a backup band that sings along like Coverdales in Whitesnake would be a good thing but i doubt Daves Ego will allow it

30. 4 users say thank you to saint for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (12-31-2019),katina (03-04-2020),Seshmeister (01-08-2020),Terry (01-11-2020)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The insurmountable challenge here is any venture involving Van Halen material that doesn't include Eddie Van Halen on guitar just falls flat even with Dave fronting and all the rest of the band being stellar musicians... At least for me... The guitar player™ can nail the songs note for note/tap/bend with comparable gear, but it just comes off as trying to emulate Ed and always falls measurably short.

Given the diminished performance capabilities of Dave, both age derived and his personal performance choices since the noteworthy 2007/8 venture. I just can't envision him carrying a show with anything less than an amazing backing band.

Sadly, this was alarmingly apparent during the 2015 tour with all of the Van Halens killing it and Dave struggling to keep up for an entire set... With less backing him this go round... I'm not optimistic of a great result.

Who knows... in a week we'll find out. Maybe with a really great overall production of the "show" and Dave finds a way to stay in his quality singing range this might be something magical...

32. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (01-01-2020),Terry (01-11-2020)

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-08-2024 @ 09:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

My queen asked me (a few months ago) if I wanted to see KISS in 2020. I gave her this big spiel about how I can't give any money to parasites like Gene Simmons, and that the band is such a gimmick, etc. etc. etc. I concluded with: "Maybe it they had some cools bands touring with them I'd think about it..." A few months later DLR was announced as the special guest for this tour and I immediately got us 2 tickets to see a show. She dismissed my "about face" attitude with an eye roll. HA! HA! Hey, DLR is an exception to just about all of my rules.

34. Thanked heartbreaker for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (01-08-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saint View Post
    Traveling from Sweden to see Dave and I´m super excited to see the Vegas show. I´m aware that he can´t sing like before, I think he sang really good when I saw VH in MSG 2007, but I only gave the last live album a cringeing listen. Seeing Dave in a smaller venue with all lights on Dave where Dave can be Dave is much more appealing than see him open for KISS.
    Absofuckinglutely.

Plus worst case scenario you're still in Vegas missing a week of Scandinavian winter.

Post a review!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saint View Post
    To have a backup band that sings along like Coverdales in Whitesnake would be a good thing but i doubt Daves Ego will allow it

Hope you have a great experience/enjoy the show!!

Probably better off seeing Dave solo in a club headlining his own set rather than opening for someone else in an arena...at the very least, the sound quality of the Vegas gigs will probably be much better than what Roth will get as an opening act on an arena tour.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The insurmountable challenge here is any venture involving Van Halen material that doesn't include Eddie Van Halen on guitar just falls flat even with Dave fronting and all the rest of the band being stellar musicians... At least for me... The guitar player™ can nail the songs note for note/tap/bend with comparable gear, but it just comes off as trying to emulate Ed and always falls measurably short.

Given the diminished performance capabilities of Dave, both age derived and his personal performance choices since the noteworthy 2007/8 venture. I just can't envision him carrying a show with anything less than an amazing backing band.

Sadly, this was alarmingly apparent during the 2015 tour with all of the Van Halens killing it and Dave struggling to keep up for an entire set... With less backing him this go round... I'm not optimistic of a great result.

Who knows... in a week we'll find out. Maybe with a really great overall production of the "show" and Dave finds a way to stay in his quality singing range this might be something magical...
    I did have a mild regret passing on the 2015 tour, in that from the 3 to 4 full-length shows I saw on youtube, the Van Halens - as you say, ALL the Van Halens - WERE fucking killing it on a nightly basis...with a great setlist...

...but after the 2012 show I saw - where all the Van Halens were killing it along with a great setlist - and Dave basically putting a large damper of my enjoyment of that gig, I couldn't do 2015 because it was evident it was gonna be more of the same.

His current Vegas band sounds competent enough. If Dave manages to sing rather than yell, overall the shows can be a fun night out...not much more than that, but this late in the day career-wise [the shows] don't need to BE anything more than that: I doubt anybody seeing the shows has any expectations of the gigs being anything other than that.

38. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (01-12-2020)

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-09-2020 @ 09:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Full Show !

Setlist :

You really got me
    Just like paradise
    Unchained
    Fresh Out
    Jamie's Cryin'
    Panama
    Dance The night away
    Ain't Talkin' bout love
    Jump
    Last edited by vaijuju; 02-02-2020 at 04:54 AM.

40. 7 users say thank you to vaijuju for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (02-02-2020),Figs (02-04-2020),Jérôme Frenchise (02-02-2020),Jetstream (02-03-2020),katina (03-04-2020),Terry (02-03-2020),vandeleur (02-05-2020)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The backing vocals were pre-recorded for sure.

What's the meaning of all this, I'm wondering.
    And just half an hour warming for Kiss, well...

Dave has improved, nevertheless.

42. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-03-2020)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah backing vocals are piped in for sure... Just like Paradise chorus never sounded that good live... ever...

44. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (02-02-2020)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Roth has just a half hour slot opening for KISS?

A bit surprised they didn't give him at least 60 minutes. I mean, he's an old brand name, but still a brand name...a 30 minute opening slot is something you give to a no-name local act who won a radio contest to open for KISS.

I guess it's just Chaim's way of sticking it to Dave.

46. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Romeo Delight (02-06-2020)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-15-2024 @ 07:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'd say he's improving a ton. He still should drop Dance The Night Away. Just not his range anymore at all. Paradise was decent. I don't love the backing track vocals much but whatever. Maybe they help to keep Roth reeled in ? I don't even hate the pink coat. LOL ! He'll be fine singing like this. A few more songs would be nice. If Van Halen goes out again Dave seems up for it again singing a ton better than 12/15.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

After all the shitty things I’ve said about Dave live...I’m happy to say I was wrong. I’m 2/3rds the way thru last nite’s show and I’m impressed. People on the interwebz are bitching about the stage size and this and that but the guy brought it. I didn’t go see VH the last time they were in town, and could have gotten seats really cheap the day of the show. The Dave I’m watching now? I am definitely buying tickets to the Columbia SC show.

49. 3 users say thank you to DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (02-02-2020),Romeo Delight (02-06-2020),ZahZoo (02-07-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah backing vocals are piped in for sure... Just like Paradise chorus never sounded that good live... ever...
    Yeah actually better now than live in 1988.

I don't think I could bring myself to pay to watch Ki$$ mime though if they bring it to Europe.

The stage setup is ludicrous - they have given him nothing, not even a backdrop?
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 02-02-2020 at 08:38 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    I'd say he's improving a ton. He still should drop Dance The Night Away. Just not his range anymore at all. Paradise was decent. I don't love the backing track vocals much but whatever. Maybe they help to keep Roth reeled in ? I don't even hate the pink coat. LOL ! He'll be fine singing like this. A few more songs would be nice. If Van Halen goes out again Dave seems up for it again singing a ton better than 12/15.
    Actually even DTNA is OK - I think we now just expect it to go badly and listen for it.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'd agree the Manchester show shows the band - and Dave - improving.

Still, just over half an hour seems plain odd in some fundamental way...although to be frank, at Dave's age maybe 30 minutes is best in terms of him not wearing himself out. Even so...like Sesh said, in terms of the stage...in an odd way, Roth opening for KISS stage-wise feels like when Autograph opened for Van Halen in 1984: a very short set, and the band crammed in front of an oversized drop cloth in order to keep the KISS stage set covered until Kiss starts performing.

I could hear more of the Roth and Michael Anthony pre-recorded backing tapes in those background vocals than I could anybody else in the band onstage mouthing into their mics.

Your Own Personal Satan
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-06-2021 @ 02:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck it... I'm going to see Kiss-lite and DLR with a VH tribute band. The tatters of all that remains. It will be fun enough!

54. 2 users say thank you to Figs for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (02-07-2020),ZahZoo (02-07-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Still, just over half an hour seems plain odd in some fundamental way...although to be frank, at Dave's age maybe 30 minutes is best in terms of him not wearing himself out. Even so...like Sesh said, in terms of the stage...in an odd way, Roth opening for KISS stage-wise feels like when Autograph opened for Van Halen in 1984: a very short set, and the band crammed in front of an oversized drop cloth in order to keep the KISS stage set covered until Kiss starts performing.

I could hear more of the Roth and Michael Anthony pre-recorded backing tapes in those background vocals than I could anybody else in the band onstage mouthing into their mics.
    Dave chose to use maybe 8 minutes of that limited time on a Blues jam/cover thing so I guess he wasn't too concerned about playing as many classic songs as possible.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I give up, I just cannot put a bead on this guy. Sounds like total hog wash opening night in Vegas, shows marked improvement the next two shows and now for his first two shows with Kiss is almost on par with his 2007/2008 Van Halen tour... fucking bat shit crazy Dave, which is him in a nutshell and I do stress the word nut though a fun one lol

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries

Get everyone in the band singing backup and give Dave some digital vocal enhancement and Dave can do 20 minutes worth of dance moves before that gets too boring. Ah it’s like my dad taking me to see The Glen Miller Band live. My dad played clarinet and saxophone and had his own swing band in high school and early college years. He would complain that there were no good bands anymore (sound familiar?).

So we go off to see Glen Miller and he’s like oh what a dissapointment. The swing bands were better in the 40’s. You had to be there.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Seeing Dave now is the same deal. It’s not 1984 anymore.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Yeah, but KISS isn't really KISS anymore either, so in that sense, it's a perfect double bill.

60. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (02-07-2020)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Pretty much

Thread Information