Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Posting since 2004. Over 10,000 of them. What an accomplishment ! Nothing better to do ? No you've never said you were some sort of philosopher. But the way you write sure makes you want to be one. I've read your stuff for years, lots of good stuff, but after about 6,000 posts it gets repetitive I guess. Sorry. It's been the same old story as to why Dave's a washed up has been any time he has stepped on a stage in the last decade. I guess from my view reading your posts at this point, probably 100's of posts on Roth's issues. I just gotta ask one question ? Why are you still here then ? It must be to feel important ? To respond with....well, your philosophy as to why Roth is over the hill. I guess in case someone missed your posts in 2012 we get a repeat ? Hey whatever floats your boat. It's gotta be a boring town you live in to be writing about a guy that has failed you as a fan. A guy that couldn't give two fucks what you think. Or me for that matter. Probably the reason he's still out there doing it. With that shit ass grin on his face. Enjoy the show ? Can't wait. I hope he's as decent as I think he will be. No reason to sit here in the pasture. Sorry there probably won't be a review from me. You guys got it all figured out. Seems like the majority here thinks Roth doesn't deserve an Army. Times they sure are a changing !!! I guess the name can be changed to the Hag Army, to protect the guilty. The accused !! David Lee Roth !! Hag Army ?? Has a nice ring to it. Lots of old Hags around here these days. If the shit fits wear it....
    Well, if you don't care to read what I have to say, don't. Site has an ignore button. Or, you can just make a mental note to scroll past my posts. Sure, I repeat post some of the same shit over and over again, mostly because I got bored waiting for you to post your cure for cancer.

300 words seems like a lot to let me know you don't give two fucks what I think, but, hey, whatever floats your boat.

My post count is meaningless to me. I don't set the technical parameters and displays on this site. Nice to know you thought some of them were good.

Why am I still here, then? For the same reason I assume you must be (though I won't speculate that includes you feeling important or having nothing better to do with yourself as I simply don't know you well enough for such commentary to be meaningful): I enjoy the site. Mostly for the longtime membership which still remains. Truth be told? Site can change it's name from The Roth Army to Rock Fans Central, and it won't make much of a difference. Certainly not as to how shitty Dave is singing these days.

Suffice to say, I safely fall within the 99.9% of all the population that has ever lived, in that once I'm gone and the people who directly knew me are gone, it'll be as if I was never here. Work pays the bills. No grand ambitions. I'm under no illusions that my own existence is of any particular importance. If you want to draw a comparison between my posting on this site to a less than productive life by your standards, take comfort in the fact that whatever you think of me...well, I'm gonna be okay with it.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    Same old Nick. Always the judgmental asshole. We can't all be millionaires with CIA connections like you.
    Well we can't all be victims like you!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
    Noel Monk never said that at all. Why do you lie?

Show us in the book where he said that. Take your time because you're going to really need to dig to find it.
    I can't find my book at the moment, but he said this in an interview, fucknutz...

...The one thing they never did, was mess up a show. They could be as screwed up as you want, but Van Halen, I'm talking about "Van Halen" now, never messed up a show, except of course, the US Festival (which is described in the book.) Pay us a lot of money, and we'll screw it up. (laugh) These guys were spot-on. They were brilliant on stage. I don't care how they were off-stage, they were nit-picking each other, or whatever. They never showed it onstage. Again, my point of view, but I know that's true...
    https://www.clearingouttheclutter.co...noel-monk.html

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Well we can't all be victims like you!
    Of course not. I'm a victim, you're a rectum. Happy now?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    I can't find my book at the moment, but he said this in an interview, fucknutz...

https://www.clearingouttheclutter.co...noel-monk.html
    I read Noel Monk's book and he did say Dave gave a sub par performance at the 83 US Festival. I also was at that show in 83. I agree. Dave came out pretty wasted. He had partied too much before the show and I was kind of pissed. We had waited all day for VH and Dave stumbles out fucking wasted. The band played good but Dave did improve as the show went on. He burned the ethanol out of his blood by jumping around.

6. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (02-11-2020)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I don't care how drunk he was. I was there. A lot of people bitched about the long wait between bands before VH finally hit the stage but that's about it. My issues with VH's set was based on how they had changed from the last time I had seen them. I preferred the Jim Dandy version of Dave. Not the MTV version.
    I remember there was some gay UFO thing Steve Wozniak put on. Do you remember that? To his credit the US Festival was done right. He didn't scrimp on stuff just a shit load of people there and I managed to get pretty sunburned and by the time VH rolled on I had the chills from it. I think by the time they hit the stage many of us were tired and grumpy. That was a long fucking day.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I read Noel Monk's book and he did say Dave gave a sub par performance at the 83 US Festival. I also was at that show in 83. I agree. Dave came out pretty wasted. He had partied too much before the show and I was kind of pissed. We had waited all day for VH and Dave stumbles out fucking wasted. The band played good but Dave did improve as the show went on. He burned the ethanol out of his blood by jumping around.
    From watching it many times over the years, I didn't think the US Fest performance was all that terrible. The band were clearly a bit drunk, Dave maybe a bit more so. Obviously wasn't nearly as tight as the 82 US Diver Down Hide Your Sheep tour or the early 83 South America performances because of the booze. Turning up onstage a bit shitfaced certainly fit with the party rock image Van Halen cultivated back in those days. Having said that, I can see where you would have been mildly pissed off: when Ed showed up in Tampa in 2008 visibly fucked up (dunno for sure if he was drunk, but he sure looked and played like it), I can't say I wasn't going WTF about it...had I had to have dealt with waiting all day in the hot sun surrounded by 300,000 other people to see Van Halen only to have Eddie show up unable to put out 100%, I'd imagine I would have been even more pissed off.

In an odd way, though, that US Fest performance was a bit more fun to watch than my memories of the one CVH show I was lucky enough to see in early 1984. The band turned up basically sober for that one, but despite doing a full set it didn't feel like it because they'd do a few songs, then Roth would rap with the crowd for a few minutes, then a few more songs, then Alex took a drum solo, then a few more songs, then Mike took a bass solo, then a few more songs, then Dave told a few more jokes, then a few more songs, then Eddie took a long guitar solo, then a few more songs and it was over. I will say it was still to this day one of the more memorable arena shows I've ever seen in terms of the stage production, but for all the solo spots and rapping with the crowd the band could have easily squeezed several more tunes into the set. Outside of that, one of the better ones I saw that year.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I remember there was some gay UFO thing Steve Wozniak put on. Do you remember that? To his credit the US Festival was done right. He didn't scrimp on stuff just a shit load of people there and I managed to get pretty sunburned and by the time VH rolled on I had the chills from it. I think by the time they hit the stage many of us were tired and grumpy. That was a long fucking day.
    That would have been one heck of a show to have seen.

Quiet Riot. Motley Crue. Ozzy. Triumph. Judas Priest. Scorpions. Van Halen. Am I leaving anyone out? And catching all those bands before they started tailoring their sound to rake in the MTV/hair metal/power ballad dollars.

Have seen the full sets of Riot, Crue, Triumph, Priest and Van Halen via bootlegs/official releases. For the most part, from what I've seen even taking into account with the official releases some post-performance editing was probably utilized, most of the bands turned in good performances. Quiet Riot's US Fest slot found them sounding much better than what I remember from seeing them opening for Black Sabbath in the fall of 1983. Motley Crue's set was okay, but Neil sounded coked up and they kinda came across like they did when I saw them open for Ozzy in the spring of 1984, where you got the impression the band was one who would still have been more effective in a large club than an arena or stadium. Priest sounded great. Triumph sounded great. Ozzy was good. Scorpions were good.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

I can never get over that being Jake E Lee's first gig with Ozzy and I think his first bigger than local bars.

11. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-15-2020)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Of course not. I'm a victim, you're a rectum. Happy now?
    You're a boil on the ass of humanities' rectum, cadavercunt...

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You're a boil on the ass of humanities' rectum, cadavercunt...
    I wasn't aware rectums had asses. I thought it was the other way around. But you probably know more about the subject since you're a rectum yourself.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    It was.
    Have seen the full sets of Riot, Crue, Triumph, Priest and Van Halen via bootlegs/official releases. For the most part, from what I've seen even taking into account with the official releases some post-performance editing was probably utilized, most of the bands turned in good performances. Quiet Riot's US Fest slot found them sounding much better than what I remember from seeing them opening for Black Sabbath in the fall of 1983. Motley Crue's set was okay, but Neil sounded coked up and they kinda came across like they did when I saw them open for Ozzy in the spring of 1984, where you got the impression the band was one who would still have been more effective in a large club than an arena or stadium. Priest sounded great. Triumph sounded great. Ozzy was good. Scorpions were good.
    Missed most of Motley Crue and Quiet Riot sets fighting our way through the crowd. I regret sitting in the beer gardens in the shade during Judas Priest's set but I needed a break from the sun, the heat and the crowd. Was right in front of the stage for Triumph and Scorpions but got shuffled to the side right before Van Halen finally started playing. Still had a good view and I wasn't being stampeded from side to side every few minutes any longer so I resisted the temptation to try getting back in front. Overall it was a great concert but it was so hot that day I spent a lot of time hanging out under the showers they set up on the side of the stage to keep people from dying from heat strokes. Took longer to get out of the parking lot than it did to get home.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

From watching it many times over the years, I didn't think the US Fest performance was all that terrible. The band were clearly a bit drunk, Dave maybe a bit more so. Obviously wasn't nearly as tight as the 82 US Diver Down Hide Your Sheep tour or the early 83 South America performances because of the booze. Turning up onstage a bit shitfaced certainly fit with the party rock image Van Halen cultivated back in those days. Having said that, I can see where you would have been mildly pissed off: when Ed showed up in Tampa in 2008 visibly fucked up (dunno for sure if he was drunk, but he sure looked and played like it), I can't say I wasn't going WTF about it...had I had to have dealt with waiting all day in the hot sun surrounded by 300,000 other people to see Van Halen only to have Eddie show up unable to put out 100%, I'd imagine I would have been even more pissed off.
    The crowd was chanting bullshit! bullshit! before they hit the stage but once that starting playing everyone settled down and started getting into it. It was a lot cooler by that time as well.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Quiet Riot. Motley Crue. Ozzy. Triumph. Judas Priest. Scorpions. Van Halen. Am I leaving anyone out? And catching all those bands before they started tailoring their sound to rake in the MTV/hair metal/power ballad dollars.

At the time it was just another big So-Cal rock fest. They had the Cal Jams and multi-billed stadium shows but the US Festival was supposed to be the biggest. Kind of like bringing Woodstock back. You just have to remember you are in a big field with tens of thousands of people and it's outside and it's all day long going into the night. Not the greatest concert I've been to but hey, it was big. It was the first I ever heard of Motely Crue. With the costums, makeup and big platform boots I thought, these guys are trying to re-do the KISS thing. Van Halen is who everyone was there to see. Maybe Ozzy.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ha! Ha! San Bernardino even in 83 was considered to be a shit hole. Nothing of interest would ever remotely ever happen there. The US Festival happened. Other than being where The Hell's Angels and Sammy Hagar came out the US Festival is probably it's biggest claim to fame. Now it's meth.

18. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-13-2020)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The crowd was chanting bullshit! bullshit! before they hit the stage but once that starting playing everyone settled down and started getting into it. It was a lot cooler by that time as well.
    Ha! Well they had to put Van Halen's stage together and that took awhile and you have peeps who were out in the sun and dirt all day and a bit substance abused. I remember the crowd screaming bullshit. We got some Apple Computer tech geek intermission UFO junk and that probably really pissed off the rocker crowd. Ha! Ha! Eddie played fine. It was Roth who was shit faced to the point he was not up to full speed. But about a third of the way into the show he got better. Then of course he showed his ass to everyone for the encore. I did think the guy was off his nuts for doing that but the chicks loved it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It was.

Missed most of Motley Crue and Quiet Riot sets fighting our way through the crowd. I regret sitting in the beer gardens in the shade during Judas Priest's set but I needed a break from the sun, the heat and the crowd. Was right in front of the stage for Triumph and Scorpions but got shuffled to the side right before Van Halen finally started playing. Still had a good view and I wasn't being stampeded from side to side every few minutes any longer so I resisted the temptation to try getting back in front. Overall it was a great concert but it was so hot that day I spent a lot of time hanging out under the showers they set up on the side of the stage to keep people from dying from heat strokes. Took longer to get out of the parking lot than it did to get home.
    Yeah it was hot. I took my shirt off and didn't wear sunscreen and paid for it. That thing would have turned into a disaster if they didn't have lot's of water and showers. But the logistics were done right and Woz was willing to spend the money to do it right.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Then of course he showed his ass to everyone for the encore.
    Didn't stay for the encore but I heard it from the parking lot. One of my friends and myself stuck together the entire concert until we got separated by crowd movement right before VH played. We agreed to meet at the showers if that happened. I didn't want to wait until the entire crowd started heading that way so I started in that direction before the encore.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah it was hot. I took my shirt off and didn't wear sunscreen and paid for it. That thing would have turned into a disaster if they didn't have lot's of water and showers. But the logistics were done right and Woz was willing to spend the money to do it right.
    I kept my shirt on and wore the t shirt I bought as a do rag. I should have worn a hat but I didn't realize it was going to be that hot.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Other than being where The Hell's Angels and Sammy Hagar came out the US Festival is probably it's biggest claim to fame. Now it's meth.
    It was Angel Dust for a while back in the mid 80s. I took a guy there to get some smoke in early 85. He handed me a really skinny joint claiming it was just weed but it smelled like a pickle. It was Angel Dust on mint leaves. I made the mother fucker walk back home to Riverside for trying to get me to smoke that shit.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Didn't stay for the encore but I heard it from the parking lot. One of my friends and myself stuck together the entire concert until we got separated by crowd movement right before VH played. We agreed to meet at the showers if that happened. I didn't want to wait until the entire crowd started heading that way so I started in that direction before the encore.
    So basically you're just full of shit and never made it anywhere near Van Halen. Asshole...

If you were there at all...

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So basically you're just full of shit and never made it anywhere near Van Halen. Asshole...

If you were there at all...
    I didn't stay for the encore so I wasn't there? Don't you have any other people to stalk or does your infatuation with everything I say and do take up all your free time?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Is it a rock n roll night tonight?

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

over twenty years back my ex dragged me to a Kiss "farewell" concert. They gave you a program and other shit. Should have kept it (not the Ex).

28. Thanked Igosplut for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-13-2020)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    At the time it was just another big So-Cal rock fest. They had the Cal Jams and multi-billed stadium shows but the US Festival was supposed to be the biggest. Kind of like bringing Woodstock back. You just have to remember you are in a big field with tens of thousands of people and it's outside and it's all day long going into the night. Not the greatest concert I've been to but hey, it was big. It was the first I ever heard of Motely Crue. With the costums, makeup and big platform boots I thought, these guys are trying to re-do the KISS thing. Van Halen is who everyone was there to see. Maybe Ozzy.
    From the footage I've seen, that's exactly what looked like: a massive, open piece of land that was crammed with 300k people and little in the way of on-site facilities. It looked hot as shit, temperature-wise, with plenty of shots of site staff literally hosing the crowd down with firehoses in order to keep them cool. Which...I mean, one would think a decade + on from the original Woodstock, the US Fest organizers would have organized it a little better...and, if memory recalls, there was already an US Fest the previous year in 1982.

It was reported the same sort of organizational problems reared their heads at the 1994 and 1999 Woodstocks. The difference being that the original Woodstock ended up being essentially free for attendees after hundreds of thousands of people beyond what was planned for showed up, where the 1990s Woodstocks SHOULD have planned for that many to show up, but didn't. I mean, the 1999 one was portrayed as a big free-for-all riot due to lack of adequate security, yet the tickets for it were over a hundred bucks from what I remember. People being gouged for bottled water, lack of portable toilet facilities, assholes in the crowd (and with a gathering that large, there's always gonna be more than a few assholes, fucked up on booze and drugs, with no other ambition other than to run riot). I remember reading about that at the time and wondering how it could be that the organizers had learned nothing from the 1970 and 1994 Woodstocks, and thinking (by Woodstock 1999 I was nearly 30 years old) that I don't need to pay any amount of money to deal with that kind of bullshit.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Other side of the coin being that organizing and pulling a festival like that off...just the sheer size of it and the amount of components...can't really sit here and say any of it would be an easy task by any means.

You look at the films of the original Woodstock and Altamont, you can't help but laugh when you see footage of the organizers trying to deal with all the issues coming up, because it's so clear that the size and scope of the events escalated beyond anything they could control and they end up just winging it and holding on for the ride...half-useless/half-stoned Trippy Dippy Hippie dudes that they were.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Other side of the coin being that organizing and pulling a festival like that off...just the sheer size of it and the amount of components...can't really sit here and say any of it would be an easy task by any means.
    After the US83 show Glen Hellen was turned into a permanent amphitheater. It opened in 93. When they did that they added seating and kept the area between the seats and the lawn open as a walkway from side to side. The capacity now is 65,000 making it a lot mellower concert venue.
    As crowded as it was it during the US it was still possible to make your way to the bathrooms and back although there was a few assholes in the crowd threatening others who stepped on their blankets or accidently brushed up against them. I didn't see any fights but I'm sure there was a few. Exiting the venue the was probably the hardest thing to deal with but I didn't drive so I slept during that. I don't know how long it took but since we were heading north after we got on the freeway it was clear sailing the rest of the way home. Normally it would take about an hour to get home from there but the sun was coming up when I got dropped off.
    The Cal Jam concerts were much worse. I didn't make the first one but considering how many people left their cars on the freeway and walked the rest of the way I'd assume getting to and away from Ontario Motor Speedway was a total nightmare for those who didn't. I attended Cal Jam II. It was easy enough to get in since we got there two days before the day of the show but getting home was kind of a bitch. We were so high we stopped at my grandmother's house on the way home and spent the night there. I didn't get any sleep from Thursday till early Sunday morning. Didn't eat either. That evening I to piss so bad I just whipped it out where I was standing. The bathrooms were too far away and almost impossible to get too. I made sure I didn't piss on anybody else. I could have pissed my pants and nobody would have noticed. We were filthy dirty from the trip inside. The line would stop from time to time. People would set their stuff down thinking they'd have time to pick it back up but we got tangled in blankets and sleeping bags numerous times on the way in. Broken Styrofoam coolers dotted the path. We drank some green Kool-Aid from a jug that was being passed around right before we got inside. I'm pretty sure it had LSD in it but we hit some joints being passed around that may or may not have been laced with PCP. I still had a great time but my best friend got brain damage from all the drugs we ingested. He was never the same after that.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

At the time it was just another big So-Cal rock fest. They had the Cal Jams and multi-billed stadium shows but the US Festival was supposed to be the biggest. Kind of like bringing Woodstock back.
    The estimated crowd at Cal Jam II is 350,000. The day VH played during US83 the crowd was estimated to be 300,00 but there were people as far away as you could see without binoculars at Cal Jam II. Ontario Motor Speedway was a superspeedway. 2 1/2 miles around. Much bigger than the part of Glen Hellen where the US festivals took place. Look at the aerial photos. There were a lot more people at Cal Jam II.
    Here's Cal Jam II

Cal Jam II.jpg
    Here's US 83

US 83.jpg
    Last edited by cadaverdog; 02-13-2020 at 02:03 PM.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I remember there was some gay UFO thing Steve Wozniak put on. Do you remember that?
    Who could forget? The crowd was livid. That's when the BUULLSHIT! chants began.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

BULLSHIT! I was going to edit that but I forgot how. Ain't that a bitch?

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Reviewer is clueless.
    You think that one was bad - here's an even more pitiful "review" of the Buffalo show:

Finally, a night with the Kiss Army in Buffalo
    https://www.niagara-gazette.com/news...832b88eb3.html

Less than half of the piece is about the show itself. Actually, the only performance related
    items are "fire spitting, a drum solo and exploding guitars".

And not a single mention of the opening act.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yup. It definitely triggered the crowd.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The estimated crowd at Cal Jam II is 350,000. The day VH played during US83 the crowd was estimated to be 300,00 but there were people as far away as you could see without binoculars at Cal Jam II. Ontario Motor Speedway was a superspeedway. 2 1/2 miles around. Much bigger than the part of Glen Hellen where the US festivals took place. Look at the aerial photos. There were a lot more people at Cal Jam II.
    Here's Cal Jam II

Cal Jam II.jpg
    Here's US 83

US 83.jpg
    Yeah that's the point I was making. Everyone makes a big deal of the 83 US Festival but the Cal Jams were huge as well. They did a lot of large multi-billed shows in California. Festivals were not my favorite to be honest. I enjoyed seeing one band in a smaller venue. But hey. We were there. Ha!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It was Angel Dust for a while back in the mid 80s. I took a guy there to get some smoke in early 85. He handed me a really skinny joint claiming it was just weed but it smelled like a pickle. It was Angel Dust on mint leaves. I made the mother fucker walk back home to Riverside for trying to get me to smoke that shit.
    Ha! Yeah. I just remember going down I-15 from the desert going down the pass into San Bernardino and in the 70's the smog was just a thick soup. The smog was really bad then. But that area was kind of seedy as long as I can remember.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

You look at the films of the original Woodstock and Altamont, you can't help but laugh when you see footage of the organizers trying to deal with all the issues coming up, because it's so clear that the size and scope of the events escalated beyond anything they could control and they end up just winging it and holding on for the ride...half-useless/half-stoned Trippy Dippy Hippie dudes that they were.
    They were worried about mass electrocution at Woodstock. The rain had turned the ground to mud and the buried power cables were in danger of being exposed. Then if you stopped the music, you might cause a riot. One Woodstock organizer said he had just heard about the possible electrocution danger after he just got off the phone with Governor Rockefeller begging him not to send in the National Guard. The governor said ok, but if anything happens I'm holding you personally responsible!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    They were worried about mass electrocution at Woodstock. The rain had turned the ground to mud and the buried power cables were in danger of being exposed. Then if you stopped the music, you might cause a riot. One Woodstock organizer said he had just heard about the possible electrocution danger after he just got off the phone with Governor Rockefeller begging him not to send in the National Guard. The governor said ok, but if anything happens I'm holding you personally responsible!
    Yeah, but then some of those same original Woodstock organizers turned up to 'organize' Altamont a few months later, and that event was plagued with problems, too.

Not that organizing rock festivals is a walk in the park...but, well...I liked a lot of the music that came out of the late 1960s, but never cared for the hippies who were listening to it.

Although at least the actual hippies of the actual late-1960's were FAR more tolerable than the suburban 'hippies' who were seemingly birthed en masse after Grateful Dead's 'Touch Of Grey' single was released in the mid-1980's: those hippies come lately truly WERE a useless bunch.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    You think that one was bad - here's an even more pitiful "review" of the Buffalo show:

Finally, a night with the Kiss Army in Buffalo
    https://www.niagara-gazette.com/news...832b88eb3.html

Less than half of the piece is about the show itself. Actually, the only performance related
    items are "fire spitting, a drum solo and exploding guitars".

And not a single mention of the opening act.
    3/4's of the review was an abbreviated autobiography of the reviewer's relationship to the band as a casual fan. Which I found to be of some interest, since the reviewer is about my age.

After that, though, one expects a somewhat detailed review of the show, which is dismissed in far fewer paragraphs than the autobiography.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Although at least the actual hippies of the actual late-1960's were FAR more tolerable than the suburban 'hippies' who were seemingly birthed en masse after Grateful Dead's 'Touch Of Grey' single was released in the mid-1980's: those hippies come lately truly WERE a useless bunch.
    I was an early version of a hippy come lately. A mid 70s hippy. A time of transition that left the hippies behind as the yuppies took over. I missed that boat. I know about Greyheads but they were just regular folks that got into the Dead a bit late. Not true Deadheads. But the people you speak of are foreign to me. In the mid 80s most of my friends became meth heads. I wasn't into it. I don't think I knew any of the hippy come lately people from that era. What were they into, not into?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Touch of Grey was alright, but it wasn't even close to the Dead's best song...

44. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-16-2020)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Touch of Grey was alright, but it wasn't even close to the Dead's best song...

The vast majority of their stuff I still enjoy the most tends to be found on either American Beauty or Workingman's Dead, specifically the studio versions of those songs vs. the elongated live versions that went on forever. Possibly in part because my uncles passed down their copies of those albums to me at the very beginning of the 1980s, and I listened to them at an age where I was too young to really know/understand the cultural history of the band and too young to care about listening to things I liked in terms of the music being hip or in fashion or whatever: I liked those albums because I liked the songs on them. No more, no less.

When everyone else in my age group went bananas over The Dead for the first time after the In The Dark album/Touch Of Grey single, said people would end up blathering about how American Beauty and Workingman's Dead were just gateway albums for casual Dead fans, and you weren't REALLY a Dead fan unless you "like, listened to this specific live 20-minute version of Franklin's Tower...plus, you have to, like, know the exact date the band last played Dark Star in concert...otherwise, you can never be a Super Duper Fan Of Jerry!!" It was that lame, late-in-the-day/late 1980's Garcia Cult comprised of my suburban teenage peers that sprung up in the wake of Touch Of Grey (which, for me, was never much more than a slightly charming, mildly poignant tune, certainly not among the best the Dead had to offer) that put me off the Dead fans...like, they would say people who liked the AB and WD albums were casual fans without the slightest trace of self-awareness that their own introduction to the group was a tame late 1980s album and single: shit, at least my intro to the band was a pair of albums that contained much of their best work.

Thread Information