Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

I'm not sure of what Noel Monk's dog is in the fight, but he spent a few passages basically calling the Woodstock guys a bunch of cunts that ripped off bands with their "movie"...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Plus, everyone knows the most important performance at Woodstock was that of Sha-Na-Na, anyway...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I once read about the Dead being the most stoned band that has ever been.

But then we're deviating from the topic.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    I once read about the Dead being the most stoned band that has ever been.

But then we're deviating from the topic.
    Yes, I was getting a bit far afield from Dave opening for KISS with that Dead tangent.

From my understanding, some claim Roth is slated to keep opening for KISS through October, although officially he has signed on for what amounts to only the first leg of the tour, which ends in May...

...honestly, I get the feeling (and it really isn't a display of any sort of wonderous fortunetelling ability) after this KISS stint concludes that Dave's prospects far as a live performer under his own flag are gonna revert back to what he was doing circa 2005/2006: smaller venues, non-headlining slots on a hard rock bill at State Fairs/County Expos type thing (which a lot of these older hard rock acts are grateful for in the States, mostly because those type gigs pay - and pretty well in comparison to club dates - in cash on the day of the show: you string enough of those together, you can make a good chunk of change).

And I'd still, even at this late date, have a degree of interest in seeing Dave at a smaller venue with a well-rehearsed band behind him, but not so much if his setlist is gonna be 80% CVH tunes. Only because that's what he had been doing with Van Halen since 2007, and seeing Dave doing that material without the Van Halens onstage with him nowadays...

But I get that whatever drawing power he has retained is linked to people just wanting to see him perform that CVH material. What I enjoyed about that first Vegas show was hearing the band bust out a long-neglected solo chestnut like Big Train, as opposed to JLP (a tune I never particularly liked even when Skyscraper came out - why not replace that with Damn Good? If nothing else, the vocals on that tune are much more within Roth's abilities now than JLP is, AND it's a better tune, to boot!), but the sort of setlist I'd like to hear Roth do in a club nowadays...it just isn't compatible with what people (or with what I'm guessing the majority of people) want to hear from him now live, which is Van Halen's better-known tunes.

You know what I'd like to hear from Dave in a club setting these days? A setlist along the lines of or including (but not necessarily in this order):

Blacksand
    Goin' Places
    A Little Ain't Enough (there's a recognizable tune for the casual audience member...really, Dave's last solo single that had a significant degree of commercial success)
    Tell The Truth
    She's My Machine
    Big Train
    Ladies' Nite In Buffalo?
    Goin' Crazy! (another recognizable solo tune for the casual audience member)
    Tobacco Road
    Damn Good

Now, there are ten songs - pretty much half a setlist - of solid Roth solo tunes. All of which - unlike, say, Yankee Rose or JLP - Dave can simply sing (as opposed to shout) and the tunes should sound good.

The other half of the setlist can be chock full of the best-known CVH stuff (Unchained, Jump, Panama, etc.)

THAT would be a DLR solo show I'd enjoy seeing.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Blacksand & Goin' Places would be great to hear. It's pretty much insane that most of the "DLR Band" album has never been played live at all, considering what a great record it was. I think "Slam Dunk" was the only song that ever made the set list, and that was only in 1999.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    And the one tour (1999) that one DLR Band track (Slam Dunk) was played, it was usually sandwiched in the middle of the set.

"Here'sabrandnewtrackforya!" band blitzes through the new tune (off an album most of the crowd at the time probably had no idea even existed for all the publicity it got), on to the next CVH tune. Basically took one of the shortest, fastest tunes on the album to spotlight live, but most of the crowd at the 1999 Bad Co show (Roth opened) I saw the tune played at scratched their heads in puzzlement, mostly because they had no idea what the song was.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Dave is playing a few festivals this year. I believe one of them headlined by Metallica.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The vast majority of their stuff I still enjoy the most tends to be found on either American Beauty or Workingman's Dead, specifically the studio versions of those songs vs. the elongated live versions that went on forever.
    No question that those two albums were probably the Dead's best studio work, though the material from those records usually held up live over the decades. And some of them didn't even have to be 20 minute jam versions

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2022 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

In the desperate rat-race pantheon of entertainment that millions of people flock to California to chase their dreams, Dave won. He has a boatload of money and tremendous experiences. At 65, he's retired; c'mon, anyone with that amount of money and 65 is kicking back enjoying life not living in a tour bus for months on end. Right now, it's all about having fun. If Gene Simmons is going to handle all the infrastructure and headache of a tour, I'm sure Roth is perfectly happy opening for free if all he has to do is walk out on stage to a microphone waiting for him and do a few kung fu kicks for a half-hour if it gets him backstage that much earlier for the party. KISS what?

Thread Information