X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    Yeah backing vocals are piped in for sure... Just like Paradise chorus never sounded that good live... ever...
    Yeah actually better now than live in 1988.

I don't think I could bring myself to pay to watch Ki$$ mime though if they bring it to Europe.

The stage setup is ludicrous - they have given him nothing, not even a backdrop?
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 02-02-2020, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
      I'd say he's improving a ton. He still should drop Dance The Night Away. Just not his range anymore at all. Paradise was decent. I don't love the backing track vocals much but whatever. Maybe they help to keep Roth reeled in ? I don't even hate the pink coat. LOL ! He'll be fine singing like this. A few more songs would be nice. If Van Halen goes out again Dave seems up for it again singing a ton better than 12/15.
      Actually even DTNA is OK - I think we now just expect it to go badly and listen for it.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

I'd agree the Manchester show shows the band - and Dave - improving.

Still, just over half an hour seems plain odd in some fundamental way...although to be frank, at Dave's age maybe 30 minutes is best in terms of him not wearing himself out. Even so...like Sesh said, in terms of the stage...in an odd way, Roth opening for KISS stage-wise feels like when Autograph opened for Van Halen in 1984: a very short set, and the band crammed in front of an oversized drop cloth in order to keep the KISS stage set covered until Kiss starts performing.

I could hear more of the Roth and Michael Anthony pre-recorded backing tapes in those background vocals than I could anybody else in the band onstage mouthing into their mics.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Figs
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

Fuck it... I'm going to see Kiss-lite and DLR with a VH tribute band. The tatters of all that remains. It will be fun enough!

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry

Still, just over half an hour seems plain odd in some fundamental way...although to be frank, at Dave's age maybe 30 minutes is best in terms of him not wearing himself out. Even so...like Sesh said, in terms of the stage...in an odd way, Roth opening for KISS stage-wise feels like when Autograph opened for Van Halen in 1984: a very short set, and the band crammed in front of an oversized drop cloth in order to keep the KISS stage set covered until Kiss starts performing.

I could hear more of the Roth and Michael Anthony pre-recorded backing tapes in those background vocals than I could anybody else in the band onstage mouthing into their mics.
            Dave chose to use maybe 8 minutes of that limited time on a Blues jam/cover thing so I guess he wasn't too concerned about playing as many classic songs as possible.

Comment

• Jetstream
              Foot Soldier
              • Dec 2011

I give up, I just cannot put a bead on this guy. Sounds like total hog wash opening night in Vegas, shows marked improvement the next two shows and now for his first two shows with Kiss is almost on par with his 2007/2008 Van Halen tour... fucking bat shit crazy Dave, which is him in a nutshell and I do stress the word nut though a fun one lol
              I got lost in the...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry

Get everyone in the band singing backup and give Dave some digital vocal enhancement and Dave can do 20 minutes worth of dance moves before that gets too boring. Ah it’s like my dad taking me to see The Glen Miller Band live. My dad played clarinet and saxophone and had his own swing band in high school and early college years. He would complain that there were no good bands anymore (sound familiar?).

So we go off to see Glen Miller and he’s like oh what a dissapointment. The swing bands were better in the 40’s. You had to be there.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Seeing Dave now is the same deal. It’s not 1984 anymore.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, but KISS isn't really KISS anymore either, so in that sense, it's a perfect double bill.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Pretty much

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Any more than 30 minutes of 1/4 Halen and it becomes obvious to even KISS fans that their music is wanting. Never understood the appeal
                        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

This is damn good. Even the YouTube comments are 90% excellent.

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
                            Veteran
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            This is damn good. Even the YouTube comments are 90% excellent.

You think that's good? You need to get to some AA meetings.

That was absolutely unbelievably awful.

How can anyone say that was good?

Comment

• cadaverdog
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire

How can anyone say that was good?
                              They had the volume turned off.

Is it just me or does anyone else see a resemblance?
                              Beware of Dog

Comment

• silverfish
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Mar 2007

Review of the 2/5 Buffalo show:

"Roth let the band carry the songs, while he clowned with the crowd like some kind of
                                demented Rat Pack extra, and this was smart – his voice is not what it once was, and
                                he had trouble hitting the highest notes, so sticking to his lane was a wise move."
                                Originally posted by sadaist
                                I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

Working...