X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
    Posting since 2004. Over 10,000 of them. What an accomplishment ! Nothing better to do ? No you've never said you were some sort of philosopher. But the way you write sure makes you want to be one. I've read your stuff for years, lots of good stuff, but after about 6,000 posts it gets repetitive I guess. Sorry. It's been the same old story as to why Dave's a washed up has been any time he has stepped on a stage in the last decade. I guess from my view reading your posts at this point, probably 100's of posts on Roth's issues. I just gotta ask one question ? Why are you still here then ? It must be to feel important ? To respond with....well, your philosophy as to why Roth is over the hill. I guess in case someone missed your posts in 2012 we get a repeat ? Hey whatever floats your boat. It's gotta be a boring town you live in to be writing about a guy that has failed you as a fan. A guy that couldn't give two fucks what you think. Or me for that matter. Probably the reason he's still out there doing it. With that shit ass grin on his face. Enjoy the show ? Can't wait. I hope he's as decent as I think he will be. No reason to sit here in the pasture. Sorry there probably won't be a review from me. You guys got it all figured out. Seems like the majority here thinks Roth doesn't deserve an Army. Times they sure are a changing !!! I guess the name can be changed to the Hag Army, to protect the guilty. The accused !! David Lee Roth !! Hag Army ?? Has a nice ring to it. Lots of old Hags around here these days. If the shit fits wear it....
    Well, if you don't care to read what I have to say, don't. Site has an ignore button. Or, you can just make a mental note to scroll past my posts. Sure, I repeat post some of the same shit over and over again, mostly because I got bored waiting for you to post your cure for cancer.

300 words seems like a lot to let me know you don't give two fucks what I think, but, hey, whatever floats your boat.

My post count is meaningless to me. I don't set the technical parameters and displays on this site. Nice to know you thought some of them were good.

Why am I still here, then? For the same reason I assume you must be (though I won't speculate that includes you feeling important or having nothing better to do with yourself as I simply don't know you well enough for such commentary to be meaningful): I enjoy the site. Mostly for the longtime membership which still remains. Truth be told? Site can change it's name from The Roth Army to Rock Fans Central, and it won't make much of a difference. Certainly not as to how shitty Dave is singing these days.

Suffice to say, I safely fall within the 99.9% of all the population that has ever lived, in that once I'm gone and the people who directly knew me are gone, it'll be as if I was never here. Work pays the bills. No grand ambitions. I'm under no illusions that my own existence is of any particular importance. If you want to draw a comparison between my posting on this site to a less than productive life by your standards, take comfort in the fact that whatever you think of me...well, I'm gonna be okay with it.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
      Same old Nick. Always the judgmental asshole. We can't all be millionaires with CIA connections like you.
      Well we can't all be victims like you!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
        Noel Monk never said that at all. Why do you lie?

Show us in the book where he said that. Take your time because you're going to really need to dig to find it.
        I can't find my book at the moment, but he said this in an interview, fucknutz...

...The one thing they never did, was mess up a show. They could be as screwed up as you want, but Van Halen, I'm talking about "Van Halen" now, never messed up a show, except of course, the US Festival (which is described in the book.) Pay us a lot of money, and we'll screw it up. (laugh) These guys were spot-on. They were brilliant on stage. I don't care how they were off-stage, they were nit-picking each other, or whatever. They never showed it onstage. Again, my point of view, but I know that's true...

Comment

• cadaverdog
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
          Well we can't all be victims like you!
          Of course not. I'm a victim, you're a rectum. Happy now?
          Beware of Dog

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

I can't find my book at the moment, but he said this in an interview, fucknutz...

https://www.clearingouttheclutter.co...noel-monk.html
            I read Noel Monk's book and he did say Dave gave a sub par performance at the 83 US Festival. I also was at that show in 83. I agree. Dave came out pretty wasted. He had partied too much before the show and I was kind of pissed. We had waited all day for VH and Dave stumbles out fucking wasted. The band played good but Dave did improve as the show went on. He burned the ethanol out of his blood by jumping around.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I don't care how drunk he was. I was there. A lot of people bitched about the long wait between bands before VH finally hit the stage but that's about it. My issues with VH's set was based on how they had changed from the last time I had seen them. I preferred the Jim Dandy version of Dave. Not the MTV version.
              I remember there was some gay UFO thing Steve Wozniak put on. Do you remember that? To his credit the US Festival was done right. He didn't scrimp on stuff just a shit load of people there and I managed to get pretty sunburned and by the time VH rolled on I had the chills from it. I think by the time they hit the stage many of us were tired and grumpy. That was a long fucking day.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                I read Noel Monk's book and he did say Dave gave a sub par performance at the 83 US Festival. I also was at that show in 83. I agree. Dave came out pretty wasted. He had partied too much before the show and I was kind of pissed. We had waited all day for VH and Dave stumbles out fucking wasted. The band played good but Dave did improve as the show went on. He burned the ethanol out of his blood by jumping around.
                From watching it many times over the years, I didn't think the US Fest performance was all that terrible. The band were clearly a bit drunk, Dave maybe a bit more so. Obviously wasn't nearly as tight as the 82 US Diver Down Hide Your Sheep tour or the early 83 South America performances because of the booze. Turning up onstage a bit shitfaced certainly fit with the party rock image Van Halen cultivated back in those days. Having said that, I can see where you would have been mildly pissed off: when Ed showed up in Tampa in 2008 visibly fucked up (dunno for sure if he was drunk, but he sure looked and played like it), I can't say I wasn't going WTF about it...had I had to have dealt with waiting all day in the hot sun surrounded by 300,000 other people to see Van Halen only to have Eddie show up unable to put out 100%, I'd imagine I would have been even more pissed off.

In an odd way, though, that US Fest performance was a bit more fun to watch than my memories of the one CVH show I was lucky enough to see in early 1984. The band turned up basically sober for that one, but despite doing a full set it didn't feel like it because they'd do a few songs, then Roth would rap with the crowd for a few minutes, then a few more songs, then Alex took a drum solo, then a few more songs, then Mike took a bass solo, then a few more songs, then Dave told a few more jokes, then a few more songs, then Eddie took a long guitar solo, then a few more songs and it was over. I will say it was still to this day one of the more memorable arena shows I've ever seen in terms of the stage production, but for all the solo spots and rapping with the crowd the band could have easily squeezed several more tunes into the set. Outside of that, one of the better ones I saw that year.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  I remember there was some gay UFO thing Steve Wozniak put on. Do you remember that? To his credit the US Festival was done right. He didn't scrimp on stuff just a shit load of people there and I managed to get pretty sunburned and by the time VH rolled on I had the chills from it. I think by the time they hit the stage many of us were tired and grumpy. That was a long fucking day.
                  That would have been one heck of a show to have seen.

Quiet Riot. Motley Crue. Ozzy. Triumph. Judas Priest. Scorpions. Van Halen. Am I leaving anyone out? And catching all those bands before they started tailoring their sound to rake in the MTV/hair metal/power ballad dollars.

Have seen the full sets of Riot, Crue, Triumph, Priest and Van Halen via bootlegs/official releases. For the most part, from what I've seen even taking into account with the official releases some post-performance editing was probably utilized, most of the bands turned in good performances. Quiet Riot's US Fest slot found them sounding much better than what I remember from seeing them opening for Black Sabbath in the fall of 1983. Motley Crue's set was okay, but Neil sounded coked up and they kinda came across like they did when I saw them open for Ozzy in the spring of 1984, where you got the impression the band was one who would still have been more effective in a large club than an arena or stadium. Priest sounded great. Triumph sounded great. Ozzy was good. Scorpions were good.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I can never get over that being Jake E Lee's first gig with Ozzy and I think his first bigger than local bars.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Of course not. I'm a victim, you're a rectum. Happy now?
                      You're a boil on the ass of humanities' rectum, cadavercunt...

Comment

• cadaverdog
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Aug 2007

You're a boil on the ass of humanities' rectum, cadavercunt...
                        I wasn't aware rectums had asses. I thought it was the other way around. But you probably know more about the subject since you're a rectum yourself.
                        Beware of Dog

Comment

• cadaverdog
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Terry
                          It was.
                          Have seen the full sets of Riot, Crue, Triumph, Priest and Van Halen via bootlegs/official releases. For the most part, from what I've seen even taking into account with the official releases some post-performance editing was probably utilized, most of the bands turned in good performances. Quiet Riot's US Fest slot found them sounding much better than what I remember from seeing them opening for Black Sabbath in the fall of 1983. Motley Crue's set was okay, but Neil sounded coked up and they kinda came across like they did when I saw them open for Ozzy in the spring of 1984, where you got the impression the band was one who would still have been more effective in a large club than an arena or stadium. Priest sounded great. Triumph sounded great. Ozzy was good. Scorpions were good.
                          Missed most of Motley Crue and Quiet Riot sets fighting our way through the crowd. I regret sitting in the beer gardens in the shade during Judas Priest's set but I needed a break from the sun, the heat and the crowd. Was right in front of the stage for Triumph and Scorpions but got shuffled to the side right before Van Halen finally started playing. Still had a good view and I wasn't being stampeded from side to side every few minutes any longer so I resisted the temptation to try getting back in front. Overall it was a great concert but it was so hot that day I spent a lot of time hanging out under the showers they set up on the side of the stage to keep people from dying from heat strokes. Took longer to get out of the parking lot than it did to get home.
                          Beware of Dog

Comment

• cadaverdog
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Aug 2007

From watching it many times over the years, I didn't think the US Fest performance was all that terrible. The band were clearly a bit drunk, Dave maybe a bit more so. Obviously wasn't nearly as tight as the 82 US Diver Down Hide Your Sheep tour or the early 83 South America performances because of the booze. Turning up onstage a bit shitfaced certainly fit with the party rock image Van Halen cultivated back in those days. Having said that, I can see where you would have been mildly pissed off: when Ed showed up in Tampa in 2008 visibly fucked up (dunno for sure if he was drunk, but he sure looked and played like it), I can't say I wasn't going WTF about it...had I had to have dealt with waiting all day in the hot sun surrounded by 300,000 other people to see Van Halen only to have Eddie show up unable to put out 100%, I'd imagine I would have been even more pissed off.
                            The crowd was chanting bullshit! bullshit! before they hit the stage but once that starting playing everyone settled down and started getting into it. It was a lot cooler by that time as well.
                            Beware of Dog

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Quiet Riot. Motley Crue. Ozzy. Triumph. Judas Priest. Scorpions. Van Halen. Am I leaving anyone out? And catching all those bands before they started tailoring their sound to rake in the MTV/hair metal/power ballad dollars.

At the time it was just another big So-Cal rock fest. They had the Cal Jams and multi-billed stadium shows but the US Festival was supposed to be the biggest. Kind of like bringing Woodstock back. You just have to remember you are in a big field with tens of thousands of people and it's outside and it's all day long going into the night. Not the greatest concert I've been to but hey, it was big. It was the first I ever heard of Motely Crue. With the costums, makeup and big platform boots I thought, these guys are trying to re-do the KISS thing. Van Halen is who everyone was there to see. Maybe Ozzy.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Ha! Ha! San Bernardino even in 83 was considered to be a shit hole. Nothing of interest would ever remotely ever happen there. The US Festival happened. Other than being where The Hell's Angels and Sammy Hagar came out the US Festival is probably it's biggest claim to fame. Now it's meth.

Comment

Working...