• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by silverfish
    Review of the 2/5 Buffalo show:

"Roth let the band carry the songs, while he clowned with the crowd like some kind of
    demented Rat Pack extra, and this was smart – his voice is not what it once was, and
    he had trouble hitting the highest notes, so sticking to his lane was a wise move."
    Reviewer is clueless. Didn't notice even KI$$ were miming or that the backing vocals in Dave's weren't real. I see he loved the Super Bowl halftime show although even he noticed that the music was likely prerecorded so maybe he just isn't bothered about minor points like that.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Yeah, but aside from the ignorance or lack of commentary re: the backing vocal tapes, I'd say the rest of the characterization was more or less on point.

I mean, it's not really a criticism...Roth WAS clowning with the crowd, his voice is NOT what it once was, and he DOES have trouble hitting the highest notes. He can't do his karate acrobatics anymore to compensate for his voice being shot, so sticking to his lane IS a wise move.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Doc McGee says Paul and Gene are going to hang it up after this tour. KISS will go on. They will hire some guys to wear the makeup and replace them. Not a bad move. Gene and Paul are showing their age and people still love KISS. Why not keep it going? I probably would do the same thing if I were in their shoes. Some bands you can't keep going. Rush being a good example. You can't replace Niel Peart and it's not Rush without him or any of them. You can keep KISS going. KISS is kinda interesting that way. I always enjoyed how they shamelessly sold the KISS franchise.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ZahZoo
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Well... clowning to the crowd is about 60-75% of Dave stage appeal... with a little singin thrown in for good measure!! Just to keep it real...
          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Southpaw
            Roadie
            • Jan 2009

From the couple of clips I saw Dave sounded pretty good all things considered. Not a big enough Kiss fan to consider dropping a few Benjamin’s to seeDave live the You Tube clips will do me justice. Hard to criticize Dave when he’s obviously enjoying himself while I’m in my recliner on a Friday night drinking a few Ultras eating Keto pizza (I’m under 190 from 215 ��)with the Mrs. binge watching The Outsider on HBO. Not complaining just saying to each your own. I hope theirs people in the arena when he’s playing. Rock on Dave!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              Doc McGee says Paul and Gene are going to hang it up after this tour. KISS will go on. They will hire some guys to wear the makeup and replace them. Not a bad move. Gene and Paul are showing their age and people still love KISS. Why not keep it going? I probably would do the same thing if I were in their shoes. Some bands you can't keep going. Rush being a good example. You can't replace Niel Peart and it's not Rush without him or any of them. You can keep KISS going. KISS is kinda interesting that way. I always enjoyed how they shamelessly sold the KISS franchise.
              Pathetic idea for Kiss. Keith Moon was irreplaceable also. Except he was for 3 decades at this point. If Rush goes out with the guy from Dream Theater ( a band I've never heard ) count me in. No disrespect to Neil.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Terry
                Yeah, but aside from the ignorance or lack of commentary re: the backing vocal tapes, I'd say the rest of the characterization was more or less on point.

I mean, it's not really a criticism...Roth WAS clowning with the crowd, his voice is NOT what it once was, and he DOES have trouble hitting the highest notes. He can't do his karate acrobatics anymore to compensate for his voice being shot, so sticking to his lane IS a wise move.
                Truth ? Some. But to just dismiss Roth's improved vocals is just the haters at this point. Sure he needs to pick the correct songs. Dance The Night Away & Just Like Paradise aren't good choices. That falls on Dave. He shouldn't be doing them. Otherwise he seems to be doing fine. I'd be glad to go through the names of the millions of other singers that are way below their original talents that get a free fucking pass because they're not Roth. Or the list is shorter for the guys that still are decent. Maybe 10 guys. Starting with Paul Rodgers. Bruce from Maiden ????? Maybe it's less then 10......Hag sure the fuck isn't on it anymore....

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                  Well... clowning to the crowd is about 60-75% of Dave stage appeal... with a little singin thrown in for good measure!! Just to keep it real...

I really don't know what fucking planet some of the posters here live on with their expectations.

They should all post naked looking in a mirror.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                    Truth ? Some. But to just dismiss Roth's improved vocals is just the haters at this point.
                    Improved maybe but still far from what anyone not wearing a hearing aid with dead batteries would consider decent. I don't hate Dave. I'm just giving my honest opinion on his ability to sing now.
                    Hag sure the fuck isn't on it anymore....
                    I'd ask you if you'd still say this if you didn't hate Hagar but you do and you'd just say yes. A lot of the people who post here don't hesitate to bad mouth musicians and bands they don't like no matter how good of a performance they give yet they do the exact opposite when it comes to musicians and bands they do like. Roth could mumble the lyrics to a song and they'd still say he did a fine job.
                    Beware of Dog

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                      Improved maybe but still far from what anyone not wearing a hearing aid with dead batteries would consider decent. I don't hate Dave. I'm just giving my honest opinion on his ability to sing now.

I'd ask you if you'd still say this if you didn't hate Hagar but you do and you'd just say yes. A lot of the people who post here don't hesitate to bad mouth musicians and bands they don't like no matter how good of a performance they give yet they do the exact opposite when it comes to musicians and bands they do like. Roth could mumble the lyrics to a song and they'd still say he did a fine job.
                      Not true in the least. Hag WAS a good singer in his prime. I like a lot of his solo work. If people think he's as great as 1988 their fucking delusional. Is Roth as good as 1980 or 1988 ? No. But he's better then 2012 or 2015. I see you avoided debating MANY other singers that are limited ( being generous ) in 2020. Why ? Are you a Hag drone ?

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        I really don't know what fucking planet some of the posters here live on with their expectations.

They should all post naked looking in a mirror.
                        I couldn't agree more. Dave HAS improved vocally. One guy he is opening for is lip synching for God's sake ! He's 65 having a great time. Fuck the dildo haters. Sad & pathetic. Does he need to be out there ? No. But he is. And doing a decent job. Go have fun or stay home and kick the dog. Me ? I'm going. Just wish Ed was there.......
                        Last edited by 78/84 guy; 02-07-2020, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                          That's why I never went out of my way to see Dave perform with or without Van Halen after the US Festival. I thoroughly enjoyed their performance musically but the staged comedy stuff didn't really float my boat. I was too burned out after being treated like I was part of a herd of cattle for hours between the time the Scorpions finished their set and VH finally started theirs. I saw them live in 79 before they added the comedy routines. I preferred it when Dave was just a singer not a "frontman".
                          Beware of Dog

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Apr 2005

You shouldn't have wasted your time seeing 5 mediocre bands before V.H. got onstage. That's their fault ? Roth told comedy at the U.S. Festival ? The 15 seconds he ripped the Clash ? Yeah he ruined Van Halen.....spare me.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Aug 2007

Not true in the least. Hag WAS a good singer in his prime. I like a lot of his solo work. If people think he's as great as 1988 their fucking delusional. Is Roth as good as 1980 or 1988 ? No. But he's better then 2012 or 2015. I see you avoided debating MANY other singers that are limited ( being generous ) in 2020. Why ? Are you a Hag drone ?
                              I wasn't avoiding debating the subject but some singers get worse than other over time. What Roth does now isn't singing. It wasn't singing in 2012 and it's not singing now. IMO the only reason Eddie allowed the Live In The Tokyo Dome album to be released is to show how good he still is with a guitar and how bad Dave is with a microphone.
                              Beware of Dog

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Apr 2005

[QUOTE=cadaverdog;1942049]I wasn't avoiding debating the subject but some singers get worse than other over time. What Roth does now isn't singing. It wasn't singing in 2012 and it's not singing now. IMO the only reason Eddie allowed the Live In The Tokyo Dome album to be released is to show how good he still is with a guitar and how bad Dave is with a microphone.

Sad. Fake news if you think Roth isn't better than the 12 or 15 tours. Honestly dude you're just a dick hater saying that. Why are you here ? And Ed's to stupid & lazy to try and impress people like that. And yes you are avoiding the debate if you think you're favorite singer from Def Leppard, GNR, The Who, Robert Plant, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Sam Hagar, Motley Crue, Kiss sound like they did 20 years ago. Are you on their websites whipped up about their abilities ? My guess ? No.
                                Last edited by 78/84 guy; 02-08-2020, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Working...