• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Supposedly the band has been named Horses of God
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• silverfish
      Foot Soldier
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Terry
      ...the lineup I saw in 1999 outside of Luzier weren't particularly charismatic in terms of showmanship, but the band SOUNDED good. Hopefully, the same applies for the Vegas gigs.
      I think at this point in time DLR would be better off going with a band of sound over show.
      He is the show (dial it back to a 6 or 7) and then let "the music do the talking". I really think.

Originally posted by twonabomber
      Not quite the same ring as Hide Your Sheep - I'd suggest the Four (Five) Horsemen of the Apocalypse (sugar, starch, fat, grease, alcohol).

All yours, Dave.
      No charge.
      Last edited by silverfish; 12-30-2019, 11:13 PM.
      Originally posted by sadaist
      I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by twonabomber
        It's funny the different way people think. If I was naming a band the very first thing I would do is Google it.

A bunch of pages saying "Horses of God is a 2012 Moroccan drama film about the 2003 Islamic terrorist Casablanca bombings.The film won several awards, and was Morocco's submission for the 85th Academy Awards" would really put me off.

Comment

• saint
          Foot Soldier
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Terry
          I'll be interested to see and hear audio and video from the Vegas shows. For the sake of those travelling a long way specifically for those shows, one hopes Dave has a capable backing band and is going to turn in a series of vocal performances that don't sound goddamned awful.
          Traveling from Sweden to see Dave and I´m super excited to see the Vegas show. I´m aware that he can´t sing like before, I think he sang really good when I saw VH in MSG 2007, but I only gave the last live album a cringeing listen. Seeing Dave in a smaller venue with all lights on Dave where Dave can be Dave is much more appealing than see him open for KISS.
          To have a backup band that sings along like Coverdales in Whitesnake would be a good thing but i doubt Daves Ego will allow it
          http://web.telia.com/~u55014187/kor.gif

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The insurmountable challenge here is any venture involving Van Halen material that doesn't include Eddie Van Halen on guitar just falls flat even with Dave fronting and all the rest of the band being stellar musicians... At least for me... The guitar player™ can nail the songs note for note/tap/bend with comparable gear, but it just comes off as trying to emulate Ed and always falls measurably short.

Given the diminished performance capabilities of Dave, both age derived and his personal performance choices since the noteworthy 2007/8 venture. I just can't envision him carrying a show with anything less than an amazing backing band.

Sadly, this was alarmingly apparent during the 2015 tour with all of the Van Halens killing it and Dave struggling to keep up for an entire set... With less backing him this go round... I'm not optimistic of a great result.

Who knows... in a week we'll find out. Maybe with a really great overall production of the "show" and Dave finds a way to stay in his quality singing range this might be something magical...
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• heartbreaker
              Groupie
              • Feb 2004

My queen asked me (a few months ago) if I wanted to see KISS in 2020. I gave her this big spiel about how I can't give any money to parasites like Gene Simmons, and that the band is such a gimmick, etc. etc. etc. I concluded with: "Maybe it they had some cools bands touring with them I'd think about it..." A few months later DLR was announced as the special guest for this tour and I immediately got us 2 tickets to see a show. She dismissed my "about face" attitude with an eye roll. HA! HA! Hey, DLR is an exception to just about all of my rules.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by saint
                Traveling from Sweden to see Dave and I´m super excited to see the Vegas show. I´m aware that he can´t sing like before, I think he sang really good when I saw VH in MSG 2007, but I only gave the last live album a cringeing listen. Seeing Dave in a smaller venue with all lights on Dave where Dave can be Dave is much more appealing than see him open for KISS.
                Absofuckinglutely.

Plus worst case scenario you're still in Vegas missing a week of Scandinavian winter.

Post a review!

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by saint
                  To have a backup band that sings along like Coverdales in Whitesnake would be a good thing but i doubt Daves Ego will allow it

Hope you have a great experience/enjoy the show!!

Probably better off seeing Dave solo in a club headlining his own set rather than opening for someone else in an arena...at the very least, the sound quality of the Vegas gigs will probably be much better than what Roth will get as an opening act on an arena tour.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                    The insurmountable challenge here is any venture involving Van Halen material that doesn't include Eddie Van Halen on guitar just falls flat even with Dave fronting and all the rest of the band being stellar musicians... At least for me... The guitar player™ can nail the songs note for note/tap/bend with comparable gear, but it just comes off as trying to emulate Ed and always falls measurably short.

Given the diminished performance capabilities of Dave, both age derived and his personal performance choices since the noteworthy 2007/8 venture. I just can't envision him carrying a show with anything less than an amazing backing band.

Sadly, this was alarmingly apparent during the 2015 tour with all of the Van Halens killing it and Dave struggling to keep up for an entire set... With less backing him this go round... I'm not optimistic of a great result.

Who knows... in a week we'll find out. Maybe with a really great overall production of the "show" and Dave finds a way to stay in his quality singing range this might be something magical...
                    I did have a mild regret passing on the 2015 tour, in that from the 3 to 4 full-length shows I saw on youtube, the Van Halens - as you say, ALL the Van Halens - WERE fucking killing it on a nightly basis...with a great setlist...

...but after the 2012 show I saw - where all the Van Halens were killing it along with a great setlist - and Dave basically putting a large damper of my enjoyment of that gig, I couldn't do 2015 because it was evident it was gonna be more of the same.

His current Vegas band sounds competent enough. If Dave manages to sing rather than yell, overall the shows can be a fun night out...not much more than that, but this late in the day career-wise [the shows] don't need to BE anything more than that: I doubt anybody seeing the shows has any expectations of the gigs being anything other than that.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• vaijuju
                      Sniper
                      • Jan 2008

Full Show !

Setlist :

You really got me
                      Just like paradise
                      Unchained
                      Fresh Out
                      Jamie's Cryin'
                      Panama
                      Dance The night away
                      Ain't Talkin' bout love
                      Jump
                      Last edited by vaijuju; 02-02-2020, 05:54 AM.
                      http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Nov 2004

The backing vocals were pre-recorded for sure.

What's the meaning of all this, I'm wondering.
                        And just half an hour warming for Kiss, well...

Dave has improved, nevertheless.
                        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Yeah backing vocals are piped in for sure... Just like Paradise chorus never sounded that good live... ever...
                          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise

Roth has just a half hour slot opening for KISS?

A bit surprised they didn't give him at least 60 minutes. I mean, he's an old brand name, but still a brand name...a 30 minute opening slot is something you give to a no-name local act who won a radio contest to open for KISS.

I guess it's just Chaim's way of sticking it to Dave.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise

I'd say he's improving a ton. He still should drop Dance The Night Away. Just not his range anymore at all. Paradise was decent. I don't love the backing track vocals much but whatever. Maybe they help to keep Roth reeled in ? I don't even hate the pink coat. LOL ! He'll be fine singing like this. A few more songs would be nice. If Van Halen goes out again Dave seems up for it again singing a ton better than 12/15.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Mar 2004

After all the shitty things I’ve said about Dave live...I’m happy to say I was wrong. I’m 2/3rds the way thru last nite’s show and I’m impressed. People on the interwebz are bitching about the stage size and this and that but the guy brought it. I didn’t go see VH the last time they were in town, and could have gotten seats really cheap the day of the show. The Dave I’m watching now? I am definitely buying tickets to the Columbia SC show.
                                American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

Working...