Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Genesis reunion

Really?

Collins doesn't sound that good and he sits through the whole show lately.

Nic Collins on drums and Daryl Stuermer rounding out the lineup.

No Peter Gabriel...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

In my ignorance I didn't even think there would be a crossover with liking Van Halen and Genesis.

I'm as interested in the Genesis reunion as I am in the Spice Girls one but that's my narrow mindedness probably.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    I actually prefer Genesis after Gabriel left, and I prefer Gabriel's solo career to what he did while in Genesis.

But, yeah...Collins hasn't been in good health for quite some time. I'd have serious doubts as to how well Collins could perform these days even just sitting there on a stool strictly in terms of merely singing the songs, never mind playing drums. I recall there was a perhaps mid 2000s Genesis reunion, and the band were tuned down at least a whole step to accommodate the lead vocals, and I remember hearing them doing Turn It On Again and thinking that down-tuning to that extent...the material just didn't sound right anymore.

I'd imagine Genesis 2020 will sell a fair amount of tickets - plenty of people out there still love Genesis - but I'd imagine it's gonna sound pretty tired in terms of the actual performances. Tired to the point where even Peter Gabriel popping out of a cake in his flower-head gear to have one last stab at The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway ain't gonna save it. Doubtless the punters will show up, sing along with the hits and be content.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I heard somewhere that Collins is maybe going to play a little drums on a couple of easier tracks.

He's always come across to me as being a bit of a dick but again that may just be me.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You'd think that Collins' solo stuff has easier drum parts. I don't think he played drums or piano on this last solo tour. Hobbled out with a cane and sat in a chair the whole show from what I've seen.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I heard somewhere that Collins is maybe going to play a little drums on a couple of easier tracks.

He's always come across to me as being a bit of a dick but again that may just be me.
    He comes across as a bit cranky in interviews over the last 20 years or so. Could be his reduced physical capacity, or whatever...I mean, he came across as a pretty amiable guy in the 1980s, but perhaps he was a dickhead then, too. Wouldn't be a shock if true: public personas and private realities, etc. He could, like a lot of his contemporaries, just be miffed that the current musical climate isn't such anymore where Genesis and Phil Collins are relevant on the scale they were 35 years ago beyond their ability to perform their greatest hits to whoever wants to see them. One would have to imagine seasoned professional musicians, even if they are grateful for having a successful back catalog, would eventually get somewhat tired of playing the same twenty tunes over and over again...that doing this would seem like a factory job - albeit one that pays extremely well - at times. Some of them may tire of it at times, anyway, while others may well just be content churning out the same twenty tunes as long as people are willing to pay them for doing it.

Phil Collins HAS come across at times like he feels his amount of commercial success hasn't quite translated into the amount of musical respect he feels he is due, and it DOES irk him that some write off that success as the result of a bunch of 1980s pop balladry cheese fluff.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

I don't remember where it was, might have been the Rolling Stone reader's poll one year. Collins did very well, and they ran a caption of "everyone's favorite whatever." Seemed like he was willing to work with anyone.

Thread Information