• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

THE SONG THAT KEPT DAVID LEE ROTH IN VAN HALEN
    MARTIN KIELTY May 13, 2020

Fans are aware that producer Ted Templeman wasn’t sold on David Lee Roth’s role in Van Halen when he helped sign the band in 1977.

In fact, after the second show he attended, he started thinking about finding another singer and considered calling his friend Sammy Hagar in. But in his recent memoir Ted Templeman: A Platinum Producer’s Life in Music (via Los Angeles Magazine), he recalled how he began to warm to Roth’s talents, especially as Van Halen worked on the song “Ain’t Talkin’ ’Bout Love.”

“As a performer and vocalist, he underwhelmed me,” Templeman said about watching Roth the night he secured their record deal with Warner Bros. boss Mo Ostin. “His stage presence was awkward, and his singing wasn’t great. … I was actually a bit nervous that Mo was going to be turned off by the singer’s antics and perhaps might pass on Van Halen. Truthfully, Roth made me nervous too. I thought, What am I going to do with this group if we sign them and the singer can’t hold up his end of the bargain? I could make the guitar player a solo artist if the worst came to pass. I found myself mulling over dumping the singer for a stronger vocalist, like Montrose’s lead singer, Sammy Hagar. I thought, Hell, he might be the perfect singer for Van Halen.”

When studio work started, Templeman said he feared Roth was the band’s “biggest issue” and that he “couldn’t fix” it. “To be sure, he was distinctive as a singer; his train-whistle screams were identifiable in a good way," he explained. "But every time I heard him get pitchy or completely miss a note, I worried that the public was going to be turned off by this band because of his limitations.”

Despite being tempted to pick up the phone on a number of occasions, Templeman never quite got there. And then “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love” came up.

“When we took breaks, I’d talk at length with him," the producer noted. "That’s when I came to appreciate his astounding intellect. He’d quote a line from Tom Sawyer and then a comic book. I still don’t know anybody who can keep those kinds of stream-of-consciousness raps going like he can.

"The more I read his lyrics, especially ‘Ain’t Talkin’ ’Bout Love,’ the more impressed I became. His line in that song about bleeding for something you really desire just stuck with me. He was extremely well-read and smart, and that showed up in his whole approach to fronting Van Halen.”

Eventually the producer concluded that Roth “wasn’t a conventional singer” but his “rare” gifts “outweighed his flaws.”

“I hung in there with Dave, thinking that I’d find a way in the studio to accentuate his strengths and minimize his weaknesses," Templeman said. "That’s why I decided against calling Sammy. … If I’d tried to put him in Van Halen in 1977, I’d have made the biggest mistake in rock history, because Van Halen never would have made it without Dave fronting the band.”

LINK

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Dear gawd... so the perpetual "Dave vs Sammy" debate was a seed planted in 1977 before Van Halen was even launched..?

That's a brain fart that grew legs and traveled the globe...
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Jetstream
        Foot Soldier
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        Having a good range does not make you a great rock singer. Michael Anthony has tremendous range. Did anyone seriously consider him for frontman? His backing vocals are great but his lead "duet" vocals on Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers are good, but you need Dave there. And I now love Mike and wish more than anything he was back in the sister act. Pete Townsend has a "better voice" than Roger Daltrey, but not live and not for the majority of The Who material...
        Range is the variety of octaves one can reach and not how high you can sing (hence, Michael Anthony has hardly any range at all and no character even to his high octave to distinguish himself as a lead singer). I agree that singing high is not exactly an endorsement of being a better singer. What I always liked about Robert Plant is that he can sing in a high register but still had depth and can still go low while maintaining an actual tone which identifies his voice.
        I got lost in the...

Comment

• VAiN
          Use my hand, I won't look
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Hey all - It was awesome to get this cover project and work with Greg again. We put together a site if anyone wants to pick up an inscribed copy - www.templemanbook.com
          Originally posted by wiseguy
          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Bought the audio book so I'm not sure how you would do that.

I can't overstate how fucking little I know about the Doobie Brothers, I'm going on Spotify as Ted goes into all this detail about them and I barely recognise even their biggest hits.

I was very young at their peak but I don't think they had anywhere near as much impact in the UK. Wikki seems to back me up saying that for example 'Minute by Minute' didn't even chart in the UK.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Some of the time Ted comes across as really not being aware of how he sounds as regards money.

You get lines about how thankful artists should be that they no longer had to just share eating beans out a can or how shortfalls meant they had to consider sacking 10% of their staff all the while the record company execs are flying on the WB private jet, have chauffeur driven limos for their commute to work.

I'm at the bit where Ted says his substance abuse of lines of coke (at work) was probably brought on by the long chauffeur driven commute from his luxury Hollywood apartment to his Malibu mansion and I'm crying here - that poor poor man - what hell for him.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Ted didn't like I'll Wait and said a band like Van Halen shouldn't be doing a sub standard version of Argent's 'Hold your head up'. He confirms that the chorus and title was the contribution from Michael McDonald as Dave(and he) couldn't do anything with it.

I have to say I'm agreeing with almost every critique (mainly)good and bad Ted makes of Van Halen and his take on the end days seems to match very closely with Crazy from the Heat.
                Last edited by Seshmeister; 05-27-2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                  Veteran
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  Bought the audio book so I'm not sure how you would do that.

I can't overstate how fucking little I know about the Doobie Brothers, I'm going on Spotify as Ted goes into all this detail about them and I barely recognise even their biggest hits.

I was very young at their peak but I don't think they had anywhere near as much impact in the UK. Wikki seems to back me up saying that for example 'Minute by Minute' didn't even chart in the UK.
                  I figured the only two songs that were big enough to be international hits would be Listen to the Music and China Grove.
                  RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                  LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    Ted didn't like I'll Wait and said a band like Van Halen shouldn't be doing a sub standard version of Argent's 'Hold your head up'. He confirms that the chorus and title was the contribution from Michael McDonald as Dave(and he) couldn't do anything with it.
                    Michael McDonald did to the Doobies what Hagar did to Van Halen, so it's really not much of a surprise that he played a role in ruining Van Halen as well. If "Jump" & "I'll Wait" hadn't been successful on commercial radio, it probably would have been the end of Eddie's synthesizer fetish. Instead it was the beginning of the end of Van Halen.

Also not a coincidence.... McDonald started out as the keyboard player in Steely Dan. So he learned how to suck from professional lame musicians.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

The first concert I ever went to was The Doobie Brothers. There were some good musicians in that band. I remember their bass player was really good. Almost everyone had at least one Doobie Brother’s album in the day.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                        Michael McDonald did to the Doobies what Hagar did to Van Halen, so it's really not much of a surprise that he played a role in ruining Van Halen as well. If "Jump" & "I'll Wait" hadn't been successful on commercial radio, it probably would have been the end of Eddie's synthesizer fetish. Instead it was the beginning of the end of Van Halen.

Also not a coincidence.... McDonald started out as the keyboard player in Steely Dan. So he learned how to suck from professional lame musicians.
                        Yeah, but the synth stuff was something Eddie was interested in exploring, so while doubtless Hagar and McDonald (and Landee, and Mick Jones for 5150) contributed to the softening of Van Halen's sound, that direction was one Eddie wanted to head toward. I mean, one can't blame McDonald or Mick Jones for synth pap like When It's Love or So Good.

Didn't much care for Jump or I'll Wait at the time, though truth be told I wasn't too crazy about Roth's big band stuff a la Coconut Grove or I'm Easy or That's Life, either...so I dunno if having, say, Van Halen essay The Midnight Hour on 1984 would have pleased me any better than the synth stuff. I wasn't crazy about their cover of Dancing In The Streets on Diver Down, and the consensus seems to be that Roth heard the synth riff for that and suggested Van Halen use that for the basis of covering that Martha And The Vandellas tune.

Plus, I like Steely Dan...and Michael McDonald. Even the McDonald-era Dobbie stuff I like. Can't say I like the Hagar-era Van Halen stuff, but I don't lay the majority of the blame for how Van Hagar turned out solely at Sammy's feet...half, maybe...certainly in terms of the schmaltzy lyrics, Sammy gets 100% credit for that tripe.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Synths brought a whole new dynamic to 80's music across rock and pop genres... Ed wasn't all that innovative on keys, but he also has always been a tinkerer with musical gear. Keyboards added a dimension that caught Eddie's interest. Less than 15% of VH's catalog had any sort of keyboard elements featured in the compositions.

Not sure why folks obsess over Ed's keyboard crap other than the fact that their biggest hit, sales wise featured a keyboard heavy song. But the rest of the catalog is pure rock guitar based magic.
                          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Keyboards were a new toy. They can sound cool if used right or they can just kill a song. I remember seeing Rush on the Signals tour when Geddy was pretty heavy into the keyboard stuff. They sounded huge live and just became part of what was going on.

What I liked about Van Halen was there was always something new. Things that would make you go,”how is he getting that sound?” You never knew what was going to be on the next Van Halen record.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                              Synths brought a whole new dynamic to 80's music across rock and pop genres... Ed wasn't all that innovative on keys, but he also has always been a tinkerer with musical gear. Keyboards added a dimension that caught Eddie's interest. Less than 15% of VH's catalog had any sort of keyboard elements featured in the compositions.

Not sure why folks obsess over Ed's keyboard crap other than the fact that their biggest hit, sales wise featured a keyboard heavy song. But the rest of the catalog is pure rock guitar based magic.
                              I liked a lot of that keyboard heavy 80’s music. I was listening to the 70’s Sirrus station and some of those awful soft rock songs came on. I’m like holy shit I forgot how bad this shit was. I would say 1978 is when the 80’s thing started to brew with Van Halen. Devo, Gary Neumann was probably the first New Age music I heard. It was nice to see Captain & Teniel in the rear view mirror.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo

Not just 80's, Who's Next from 71'(?) broke much ground using synth and keys. The album was actually supposed a sci-fi/futuristic themed rock opera project called "Lifehouse". Townsend couldn't find a unifying theme and gradually had a nervous breakdown, the project was scrapped and the songs were used on Who's Next instead. I read that some thought Pete predicted the internets and may have even influenced DARPA's research...

I also notice no one seems to complain about Led Zeppelin and John Paul Jones playing keyboards...
                                Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-04-2020, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Working...