• Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by silverfish
    How Producer Ted Templeman Angered Prince

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/prince-ted-templeman/
    Prince was a weirdo. Ha! Ha! Weirdo Prince hungry to take Wacko-Jacko down. Oh well, that's show biz. People with issues trying to outdo each other. Not that different than politics.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Sammy can sing in the high range because he never had any balls.

Comment

• vaijuju
        Sniper
        • Jan 2008

http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Having a good range does not make you a great rock singer. Michael Anthony has tremendous range. Did anyone seriously consider him for frontman? His backing vocals are great but his lead "duet" vocals on Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers are good, but you need Dave there. And I now love Mike and wish more than anything he was back in the sister act. Pete Townsend has a "better voice" than Roger Daltrey, but not live and not for the majority of The Who material...

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

I don’t miss a chance to see Cheap Trick. Still a great band even if they are old. Robin Zander can still sing. I would say he’s probably my favorite rock and roll singer. But yeah, Sammy isn’t a good singer. He’s kind of like Rod Stewart. A mediocre talent and you really wonder why they were so successful.

Comment

• degüello
              Sniper
              • Mar 2004

I’m reading the book right now, skipping to the VH chapters. Really enjoying it and it’s the kind of stuff I’ve wanted to read about for years. Awesome reading for the hardcore VH fan. I’m up to the recording of WACF, timeline-wise.

In the section about the first album he emphasizes how hard he and Landee had to work with Dave to get the comp'd vocal performances that are on the record. Dave had (has) huge issues with pitch, consistency, etc. Says he did marathon sessions to get usable takes, with just him, Dave, and Landee present, because he didn’t want the rest of the band to see how much Dave was struggling. But he praises Dave highly as a songwriter and creative genius and says outright that “Van Halen never would have made it without Dave fronting the band.” He makes numerous references to his intelligence, personality, and way with lyrics as being a huge part of the band's appeal.
              "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Nov 2004

I feel better learning about the fact it took him juge efforts to record his vocals. They are nothing near easy.
                Cheers!
                posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by degüello
                  I’m reading the book right now, skipping to the VH chapters. Really enjoying it and it’s the kind of stuff I’ve wanted to read about for years. Awesome reading for the hardcore VH fan. I’m up to the recording of WACF, timeline-wise.

In the section about the first album he emphasizes how hard he and Landee had to work with Dave to get the comp'd vocal performances that are on the record. Dave had (has) huge issues with pitch, consistency, etc. Says he did marathon sessions to get usable takes, with just him, Dave, and Landee present, because he didn’t want the rest of the band to see how much Dave was struggling. But he praises Dave highly as a songwriter and creative genius and says outright that “Van Halen never would have made it without Dave fronting the band.” He makes numerous references to his intelligence, personality, and way with lyrics as being a huge part of the band's appeal.
                  I don't think even the most ardent Roth fan would take issue with the opinion that Roth had issues with pitch and consistency. Roth always had a unique style, and always struck me as somebody who wasn't naturally gifted as a singer and had to work very hard to sort of turn himself into one.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

I never really understood why so many people have said Sammy had such a "great range" as a singer.

As others have mentioned, he has a ball-less bottom end in terms of his tone. He has his mid-range natural singing voice, and used to have a decent scream far as rock vocalists go.

His natural singing voice is obviously higher than Roth's in terms of octaves, but...so?

I mean, lyrics to one side, I wouldn't say strictly in terms of voice that Hagar was a terrible rock singer...but one of THE top rock singers of all time? To each his own, I guess, but...no.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I've always considered rock singers a necessary evil... something I've tolerated to enjoy great guitar playing!

It's a tough call to say who's the "Top Rock Singers" of all time... most of the greatest had multiple singing flaws if you were to judge only on the accuracy of octaves, notes, range, timing and timbre... things that can't be hidden where instruments are involved. Enthusiasm and showmanship are performance elements not necessarily in the realm of quality where actual singing is concerned...

It's all subjective...
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                        I've always considered rock singers a necessary evil... something I've tolerated to enjoy great guitar playing!

It's a tough call to say who's the "Top Rock Singers" of all time... most of the greatest had multiple singing flaws if you were to judge only on the accuracy of octaves, notes, range, timing and timbre... things that can't be hidden where instruments are involved. Enthusiasm and showmanship are performance elements not necessarily in the realm of quality where actual singing is concerned...

It's all subjective...
                        Dave used to frequently refer to himself as a song and dance man, and has always been (or at least he was in the 1980s) fairly self-depreciating regarding his vocals in terms of comparing what he does to, say Robert Plant or a lead singer along those lines.

I mean, I enjoyed what Roth did on the records. Live, the lead vocals were a part of the whole frontman/showman package, alongside the karate moves and whatnot.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

LOL but you have a point - there are a hell of a lot of people who are all about the singing. They hear the music a little but it's very much just garnish in the same way someone listening to a Frank Sinatra song rarely mentions the bass playing.

Like you I'm very much not one of those people.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

It's all subjective...
                            When was the last time any of us bought an Opera record? We want an explosion of rowdy decadence. Rock and roll is the same thing as Reving a big block powered vehicle and doing a burnout or blowing a bunch of shit up or ripping a bunch of rounds through a machine gun.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Rock and roll is about having the audience love you while you piss all over them.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                                LOL but you have a point - there are a hell of a lot of people who are all about the singing. They hear the music a little but it's very much just garnish in the same way someone listening to a Frank Sinatra song rarely mentions the bass playing.

Like you I'm very much not one of those people.
                                What's worse for me is... as my interest in audio engineering continues to grow... I not only isolate and evaluate every instrument in the mix... I pick up what's panned left, right, centered... compressed with quick or slow release, EQ'ed flat or fat, effects dry or wet... on and on.

Somewhere inside me is that simple human that hears a catchy beat or hook that draws most people to a good song... but layered 40 stories high is all that musician, audio engineer stuff complicating a 3 minute moment of enjoyment!!

Oh yeah... Chuck Berghofer was Frank Sinatra's bass player... look him up...
                                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...