Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Michael McDonald did to the Doobies what Hagar did to Van Halen, so it's really not much of a surprise that he played a role in ruining Van Halen as well. If "Jump" & "I'll Wait" hadn't been successful on commercial radio, it probably would have been the end of Eddie's synthesizer fetish. Instead it was the beginning of the end of Van Halen.

Also not a coincidence.... McDonald started out as the keyboard player in Steely Dan. So he learned how to suck from professional lame musicians.
    Yeah, but the synth stuff was something Eddie was interested in exploring, so while doubtless Hagar and McDonald (and Landee, and Mick Jones for 5150) contributed to the softening of Van Halen's sound, that direction was one Eddie wanted to head toward. I mean, one can't blame McDonald or Mick Jones for synth pap like When It's Love or So Good.

Didn't much care for Jump or I'll Wait at the time, though truth be told I wasn't too crazy about Roth's big band stuff a la Coconut Grove or I'm Easy or That's Life, either...so I dunno if having, say, Van Halen essay The Midnight Hour on 1984 would have pleased me any better than the synth stuff. I wasn't crazy about their cover of Dancing In The Streets on Diver Down, and the consensus seems to be that Roth heard the synth riff for that and suggested Van Halen use that for the basis of covering that Martha And The Vandellas tune.

Plus, I like Steely Dan...and Michael McDonald. Even the McDonald-era Dobbie stuff I like. Can't say I like the Hagar-era Van Halen stuff, but I don't lay the majority of the blame for how Van Hagar turned out solely at Sammy's feet...half, maybe...certainly in terms of the schmaltzy lyrics, Sammy gets 100% credit for that tripe.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    Synths brought a whole new dynamic to 80's music across rock and pop genres... Ed wasn't all that innovative on keys, but he also has always been a tinkerer with musical gear. Keyboards added a dimension that caught Eddie's interest. Less than 15% of VH's catalog had any sort of keyboard elements featured in the compositions.

Not sure why folks obsess over Ed's keyboard crap other than the fact that their biggest hit, sales wise featured a keyboard heavy song. But the rest of the catalog is pure rock guitar based magic.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Keyboards were a new toy. They can sound cool if used right or they can just kill a song. I remember seeing Rush on the Signals tour when Geddy was pretty heavy into the keyboard stuff. They sounded huge live and just became part of what was going on.

What I liked about Van Halen was there was always something new. Things that would make you go,”how is he getting that sound?” You never knew what was going to be on the next Van Halen record.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Synths brought a whole new dynamic to 80's music across rock and pop genres... Ed wasn't all that innovative on keys, but he also has always been a tinkerer with musical gear. Keyboards added a dimension that caught Eddie's interest. Less than 15% of VH's catalog had any sort of keyboard elements featured in the compositions.

Not sure why folks obsess over Ed's keyboard crap other than the fact that their biggest hit, sales wise featured a keyboard heavy song. But the rest of the catalog is pure rock guitar based magic.
    I liked a lot of that keyboard heavy 80’s music. I was listening to the 70’s Sirrus station and some of those awful soft rock songs came on. I’m like holy shit I forgot how bad this shit was. I would say 1978 is when the 80’s thing started to brew with Van Halen. Devo, Gary Neumann was probably the first New Age music I heard. It was nice to see Captain & Teniel in the rear view mirror.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Not just 80's, Who's Next from 71'(?) broke much ground using synth and keys. The album was actually supposed a sci-fi/futuristic themed rock opera project called "Lifehouse". Townsend couldn't find a unifying theme and gradually had a nervous breakdown, the project was scrapped and the songs were used on Who's Next instead. I read that some thought Pete predicted the internets and may have even influenced DARPA's research...

I also notice no one seems to complain about Led Zeppelin and John Paul Jones playing keyboards...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-04-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Well, John Paul Jones never drowned out the rest of the band with his keyboards. Might have drowned out a lesser drummer, but not Bonzo. And the synth parts on Who's Next were complimentary as opposed to a lead instrument. It was still built on power chords from Pete & the Ox, and again, a drummer who wasn't about to get drowned in the mix,

Wasn't the case with Alex. He actually became part of the problem by switching to those wimpy synth drums for a while in the mid 80s. The lack of "bottom end" on 5150 & OU812 was as responsible for those albums sucking as the synthesizers or Hagar's lyrics.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, John Paul Jones never drowned out the rest of the band with his keyboards. Might have drowned out a lesser drummer, but not Bonzo. And the synth parts on Who's Next were complimentary as opposed to a lead instrument. It was still built on power chords from Pete & the Ox, and again, a drummer who wasn't about to get drowned in the mix,

Wasn't the case with Alex. He actually became part of the problem by switching to those wimpy synth drums for a while in the mid 80s. The lack of "bottom end" on 5150 & OU812 was as responsible for those albums sucking as the synthesizers or Hagar's lyrics.
    I thought Sam was a "power bottom end"...

8. 2 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (06-05-2020),Seshmeister (06-05-2020)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Not just 80's, Who's Next from 71'(?) broke much ground using synth and keys. The album was actually supposed a sci-fi/futuristic themed rock opera project called "Lifehouse". Townsend couldn't find a unifying theme and gradually had a nervous breakdown, the project was scrapped and the songs were used on Who's Next instead. I read that some thought Pete predicted the internets and may have even influenced DARPA's research...

I also notice no one seems to complain about Led Zeppelin and John Paul Jones playing keyboards...
    Yeah you had those huge Moog synthesizers in the 70’s with the big patch bays. Then synthesizers became smaller and more affordable in the late 70’s and they had a bigger variety of sounds. Music stores were selling More keyboard stuff than guitar stuff when the Yamaha DX7 became the thing.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Alex really didn’t have much choice. 5150 didn’t have a drum room then and they would have had to use a different studio. Good luck talking Ed into that.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Now that we are all getting older it's funny to think that Ted's career ended in 1988 when he was 44.
    After reading his book and going back to check, this is a bullshit comment, I was only counting up to The Bulletboys which was the last thing I was aware of, he kept producing until the mid 2000s.

I wasn't even counting F.U.C.K. because I blocked that out completely.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Synths brought a whole new dynamic to 80's music across rock and pop genres... Ed wasn't all that innovative on keys, but he also has always been a tinkerer with musical gear.
    I believe for example, the sound used on Jump is preset #1 on that synth.

13. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (06-06-2020)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

I'm not opposed to keyboards (synths, pianos, organs, etc.) in rock music by any means. They certainly, as others mentioned, were used to great effect by rock bands such as Led Zeppelin and the Who...also, Deep Purple come to mind.

I've just never been particularly fond of the way they were used in Van Halen in terms of the musical content, and that includes the CVH stuff.
    Last edited by Terry; 06-06-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The problem with Van Halen and keys is that you have a guy that is either a guitar player or the keyboard player at any given moment. So the entire song is based on mostly one or the other as opposed to bands like Rush that would go back and forth in a lot of their songs. Ed could use workarounds like loops but he never seemed interested in anything but a pure pop hit or a guitar based rock song..

Although I can't recall the first use of keys by CVH on VHII or even the debut but they certainly were underneath the guitar up until 1984...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think the first use was on WACF with And The Cradle Will Rock...

Then on Fair Warning with Sunday Afternoon In The Park/One Foot Out The Door.

Then on Diver Down with Intruder and Dancing In The Street.

As far as I can recall, prior to 1984 those are the only instances of keyboard (synths, organ, piano, etc.) on CVH albums.

Even taking those other tracks into account, in some of those cases like ATCWR or Dancing the keyboards were mixed equally alongside the guitar.

1984 was, to my mind, the first Van Halen album that had tracks that were basically entirely keyboard-driven in place of a guitar. And I wasn't particularly fond of either of those tracks, even notwithstanding Jump became Van Halen's biggest single. It just wasn't particularly what I wanted to hear coming from Van Halen.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I think the first use was on WACF with And The Cradle Will Rock...

Then on Fair Warning with Sunday Afternoon In The Park/One Foot Out The Door.

Then on Diver Down with Intruder and Dancing In The Street.

As far as I can recall, prior to 1984 those are the only instances of keyboard (synths, organ, piano, etc.) on CVH albums.

Even taking those other tracks into account, in some of those cases like ATCWR or Dancing the keyboards were mixed equally alongside the guitar.

1984 was, to my mind, the first Van Halen album that had tracks that were basically entirely keyboard-driven in place of a guitar. And I wasn't particularly fond of either of those tracks, even notwithstanding Jump became Van Halen's biggest single. It just wasn't particularly what I wanted to hear coming from Van Halen.
    And thats actually Dave playing the synth keys on Intruder.

18. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-15-2020)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'm not opposed to keyboards (synths, pianos, organs, etc.) in rock music by any means. They certainly, as others mentioned, were used to great effect by rock bands such as Led Zeppelin and the Who...also, Deep Purple come to mind.

I've just never been particularly fond of the way they were used in Van Halen in terms of the musical content, and that includes the CVH stuff.
    What would The Doors and Booker T and the MG’s be without keyboards?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Keytars were gay.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

New Spin article has a few more things in it...

https://www.spin.com/2020/07/ted-tem...avid-lee-roth/

Ted Templeman Is the Most Interesting Producer in Rock

A 45-year career of “Wild Nights” and ‘Unchained” times with Van Halen, Aerosmith, and more
    Katherine Turman | July 6, 2020 - 11:22 am

Ted Templeman
    CREDIT: Courtesy of Rhino Records

The ubiquitous advertising campaign featuring “the most interesting man in the world” got it wrong. The most interesting man is indeed a debonair gray-haired gentleman, but he’s real: Ted Templeman, record producer of classics from Van Halen, Van Morrison, stellar non-Van’s including Captain Beefheart, The Doobie Brothers, Bette Midler, and many more. The 77-year-old Santa Cruz, California, native was a revered record executive and is a multi-instrumentalist, avid history buff and sublime teller of tales.

There’s the one about, how, in 1969, after a gig with his band Harper’s Bizarre [they had a hit with a cover of Simon & Garfunkel’s “The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin’ Groovy)”] their TWA flight to San Francisco was hijacked. Understandably, Templeman still dislikes flying. There are a million and a half great stories about his dear friend Eddie Van Halen. Fewer, and less glowing ones about David Lee Roth. Scores about likable Van Halen singer/solo artist/tequila entrepreneur Sammy Hagar, who he produced first in Montrose. Templeman even played the B3 organ on Montrose’s “Rock Candy.”

Many of his accomplishments and exploits are in the excellent new book, Ted Templeman: A Platinum Producer’s Life in Music, written by Greg Renoff. But many anecdotes didn’t make the tome. Because, well, they’re just too juicy, and the people they’re about are still around. Reached during the height of the lockdown at his Encino, California, condo over the phone, Templeman, in the course of a nearly two-hour interview, dropped numerous off-the-record tidbits involving marquee names, including Harvey Weinstein and hairdresser/filmmaker Jon Peters; Templeman assisted both in finding homes in tony Montecito, where he also had a residence.

But he isn’t a name-dropper; the low-key producer is as amazed and humble as anyone that he’s been a part of such rarefied circles over the decades. Templeman even mentions being uncomfortable about a recent headline that called him the “maker” of Van Halen…

SPIN: …But you DID have SO much to do with Van Halen and their sound; you made every record with them. I think it’s accurate…
    Ted Templeman: I just thought it was kind of a weird headline; I mean, they were there before me. I was not in the band. They were a group before I signed them. Yeah, I noticed [them] because I lived in Pasadena [as did the band]. So we rehearsed in Dave’s basement to get ready for [the first record]. I went in and worked through the tunes with them there. And also the fact that I got to be really good friends with them over the years, I think because Al and Ed [Van Halen], the two brothers, would spend New Year’s Eve at my house, every New Year’s.

A huge party or just you guys hang out?
    They were the only ones. My wife. My kids went to bed early. I had a Ramirez guitar that I bought in Spain, and Ed worked out a thing called “Spanish Fly” on that guitar over my house. Dave lived over right off Orange Grove.

Again, I know you don’t like hearing it, but you are one of the few producers who really has star status and tons of his own fans.
    Nah, you know, it’s kind of like if you look at somebody on stage and they had a really good lighting man. It’s the talent they’re shining on. Honestly, you know. I did whatever it took…like on the Doobies “What a Fool Believes,” in order to get it done, I played the drums. Donn [Landee, engineer and close friend] would say, ‘You know what you want, so go play it.’ A lot of people don’t know this, but all the backgrounds of Van Halen, almost every single one of them, would be Mike and me and Ed; I would double Ed because his voice wasn’t strong enough. That’s not in the book.

Wow. People debate about that online; who is singing the high parts, especially.
    That’s Mike [Michael Anthony]. Mike was a big part of that sound, that California metal sound. His voice gave it that youthful sound. I couldn’t sing that high. As I said, I would double Ed’s parts on most backgrounds; not all of them, but a lot of them, like “Dance The Night Away,” that would be me and Ed and Mike. Another thing, I don’t think I talked in the book about it much, but Al [Alex Van Halen] was really great. He played like a metronome. And also he was almost like an associate producer, he’d tell me outside, “Why don’t you have Ed do this…” He was really helpful, record after record after record. Then when we moved up to Ed’s I got uncomfortable up there because Ed would get up and start drinking immediately. That’s why I went with Dave and did that EP [1985’s Crazy From the Heat]; I figured I’d give Ed time to clean up his act. Then I did Eat ‘Em And Smile [Roth’s 1986 solo debut LP]. I always figured it would help put Van Halen back, to make them work again. Dave’s not the easiest guy in the world.

Surprise! Compared to Van Morrison though? Don’t they share that similar lead singer gene?
    No, no. Van is a sweetheart, just real nice but you couldn’t understand he was saying half the time [due to his Irish brogue]. He came down when my wife was in childbirth; he came to the hospital. He grew up in the streets of Belfast fighting, so you never mess with that guy. But I loved recording the live album in London with Van [1974’s double-live It’s Too Late to Stop Now]. It was so exciting; he had never been back there since he’d been in the group Them and so what he did “Gloria” the whole Rainbow Theatre was pulsating. It was unbelievable. I was always overwhelmed by his talent. That album, I think, showcases his singing talent more than any record he ever made. I also played keyboards on “Tupelo Honey.”

How did you come to work with Aerosmith on Done With Mirrors?
    Actually, they saw me on the Grammys in 1980 when I won the Grammy for Record of the Year for “What a Fool Believes.” And they said, “We want that guy!” I went to Boston and rehearsed. Their management didn’t want them to record in L.A. or in San Francisco because they might score [drugs], so they made us record in Berkeley [at Fantasy Studios]. They scored in five minutes anyway. But, you know, I just didn’t do a good enough job with it. I let them down on that record. I just didn’t get it. I did Sammy’s [Hagar] I Can’t Drive 55 record up there, but I wasn’t very familiar with the studio. If you don’t know the studio, it’s really… I don’t know how to explain it. A great engineer though; Jeff Hendrickson. I worked with him at the Power Station in New York. I didn’t sleep well, I didn’t get the best drum sound for Joey [Kramer]. I didn’t get the best out of Steven [Tyler] at all. I mean, that record didn’t make it because of me.

It got pretty good reviews, it just wasn’t a big seller.
    I just could have done better. The next one [1987’s Permanent Vacation] was a huge success. They’d asked me to do the next one. But I was scheduled to do a David Lee Roth follow-up to Eat ‘Em and Smile. With Dave, I had hits with him from the first EP, we did “Just A Gigolo.” So, Eat ‘Em And Smile sold the same Van Halen. Roth was selling out the Forum [in Los Angeles].

My goal was to put Van Halen back together. But anyway, I called Dave up. I said, “Listen, Aerosmith asked me to do the next album.” I wanted to redeem myself. But they needed to do it, I think, in April or something. And Dave was slated to do a record too. I drove over to Dave; he had a funky little office. He said, “Yeah, I think I need a new producer.” I said, “Fuck you, I already turned down Aerosmith to do this record.” I’d previously asked him: “Are we still on to do the next record?” He says, “Yeah.” And then he decides to fire me. So I lost the income from the Eat ‘Em and Smile follow-up and the Aerosmith album, but I mainly wanted a shot at doing right by [Aerosmith]. From that point on, I never liked the guy [Roth]. I had no use for him, you know? Prick. I mean, he was perfect for Van Halen, they never would have made it without him, those lyrics are genius and his crazy non-singing … I mean, it did enter my head to get Sammy because Sammy’s such a great singer, and Ed wanted me to borrow Ronnie Montrose’s Marshall head — I didn’t do that. But Dave, once I got in there, I knew there’s a lot of smarts going on; he’s really really smart.

You’re still good friends with a lot of musicians you’ve worked with over the years, which says a lot about you….
    Yeah, Mike [McDonald] is the sweetest guy in the world and one of my best friends. We would get in terrible trouble on the road. I got the end of a letter he wrote to me, because I said, ‘remember at that time at the St. Francis Hotel?’ He said, ‘Ted, the St. Francis Hotel is one of our many on the road escapades. When we’re in hell on our knees, shoveling fecal matter, and the voice comes over and says “coffee break’s over assholes, back on your knees,” we’ll know how we got there.’

Mike is very funny, you know. I would rehearse the Doobies on something; I would get them to work on their parts for maybe an hour or so. I’d work out the drum parts. Then I go back in the studio–I got this stuff on tape. When, at the top, I’m saying to the band, “Okay don’t forget, you come in here; remember your part? You come in here…”

And Mike says, “I think I speak for the whole band when I say ‘go fuck yourself .”

22. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (07-07-2020)

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 04:15 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Well, that explains what happened to Skyscraper AND Done With Mirrors.

TAG

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2022 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

[QUOTE=So this is love;1943038]
    Quote Originally Posted by vaijuju View Post
    Never Heard this Black Water ! whooaa! number one ! for me Doobie Brothers = Long train Running, I know with live in the dark in Europe [/QUOT

ah!ha!.. It was my first reaction too...whats this black water song? I have a best of DB and listened to it …it is ok but I mean they could have mentionned: listen to the music, taken it to the streets, it keeps you runnin, and I would have understood? unless what they meant it was their first hit, I dont know and I'm not a fan enough to search for it...
    You are listing several songs with Michael McDonald. Black Water was their first #1 single and before the McDonald Doobie band transformation™.
    Last edited by Funkmonkey; 07-27-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Finally got around to reading this. Five of 16 Chapters have VH titles and are mostly
    dedicated to working with them but there is VH content in some of the others chapters
    as he "criss crosses" his stories as the dates coincide. I was familiar with the Doobie
    Brothers so a couple extra chapters appealed to me. Even the Van Morrison content
    was pretty interesting.

I quite enjoyed the book. I had no idea as to the roles of Producer, Engineer, Mixer,
    et al., and he really gets into the making of LPs quite extensively. If you have an
    interest in that aspect of the business, that might make up for the limited VH material.

Thumbs up.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If I remember the book right I think Ted may be the only person in history to encounter Van Morrison and not think he was a complete cunt of a human being.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    He produced the Doobie Brothers. He has zero credibility

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    He produced the Doobie Brothers. He has zero credibility
    He produced Van Halen. He gets a free pass for life. Period.

Deal with it.

29. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (02-13-2021),Terry (02-15-2021)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The first band I ever saw was the Doobie Brothers. We smoked doobies watching them.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The Doobie Brothers had a killer bass player.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    The Doobie Brothers had a killer bass player.
    The Doobie Brothers were good before Michael McDonald ruined them.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    He produced Van Halen. He gets a free pass for life. Period.

Deal with it.

It did occur to me that Permanent Vacation worked out pretty fucking well for Aerosmith and maybe they kind of lucked out that Ted couldn't do it.

TT admits that mistakes were made on DWM and also reading between the lines was TT entirely at the top of his game at all times and a paragon of sober virtue at that point in his career?

But yeah I agree he gets a free pass for CVH and also EEAS.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    The Doobie Brothers were good before Michael McDonald ruined them.
    Ha! Ha! Yup.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It did occur to me that Permanent Vacation worked out pretty fucking well for Aerosmith and maybe they kind of lucked out that Ted couldn't do it.
    I hate that record. That was the end of Aerosmith for me.

36. Thanked sonrisa salvaje for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-15-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    I hate that record. That was the end of Aerosmith for me.
    These days, I'd probably sooner listen to Night In The Ruts, Rock In A Hard Place or Done With Mirrors than anything post-1985, with the possible exception of Pump which - putting The Other Side to one side (I can't stand that track) - I still think was a great album and really Aerosmith's last good overall from start-to-finish.

Permanent Vacation had warning signs with stuff like Angel, but post-Pump...the band just got too...I dunno, calculated...you could hear the corporate collaborative songwriting effort on radio-friendly stuff like Crying, Amazing, Crazy, Jaded, Don't Wanna Miss A Thing...

Post-Pump, Aerosmith continued to have massive commercial success and were still a great live act, but creatively by and large they lost their balls.

38. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (02-16-2021),sonrisa salvaje (02-16-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I liked Permanent Vacation, similar to Def Leppard I seem to have fallen out of love with them 1 album later than a lot of you.

I get it that like DL and Pyromania it is the beginning of the end but there are some great stuff on there and ok Desmond Child has his finger in 2 of the big singles but there is plenty of good stuff on PV. I always really liked Simoriah.

Back in the day someone told me that there was some business estimate that the album cover of DWM lost so many million dollars. It was a Spinal Tap level of dumb to have an illegible cover back in the day of browsing through record sleeves in record shops... PV sold over 10 times as many(not that that means everything)

Looking at the tracking on PV just now I had forgotten that Dude Looks Like Lady was song #5 so they clearly didn't realize it was going to be such a huge song for them.

Wow looking at Wikki Hangman Jury was the first single?
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 02-15-2021 at 11:33 PM.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I bought Permanent Vacation when it came out. I didn't like Dude Looks Like a Lady but the rest was okay. I just got tired of it due to constant airplay and videos on MTV. I went to see the tour (White Lion opened). The crowd was more into their new stuff. Beyond Dream On and Walk This Way, the crowd didn't seem to recognize any of their older stuff. The whole thing just pissed me off.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Back on topic, that's good info around Skyscraper. Makes me wonder if it turned out the way Dave envisioned it. The music on Skyscraper makes EEAS look like outlaw music.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    Back on topic, that's good info around Skyscraper. Makes me wonder if it turned out the way Dave envisioned it. The music on Skyscraper makes EEAS look like outlaw music.
    Skyscraper was certainly a more mannered type of rock than what was on EEAS, that's for sure.

Was never all that wild about JLP or Stand Up, myself. Title track was interesting as something sort of non-typical of what Roth had done up to that point.

Honestly, it has been quite a while - and I mean, probably well over a decade now - that I've actually had the hankering to listen to Skyscraper from start-to-finish. Some of that has to do with the way it sounds from a production standpoint, and it'd be reasonable to suggest Ted's absence had more than a little bit to do with that. Some of it has to do with the fact that I've always considered some of the Skyscraper material a bit weak. I mean, I wasn't particularly thrilled with, say, I'm Easy or That's Life on EEAS...but those tunes sort of made sense in terms of where they were placed on the album and had the benefit of being either surrounded or preceded by killer tunes. These days, the only tune on Skyscraper that REALLY knocks it out of the park for me is Damn Good: a lot of the other material on the album has become more timely than timeless for me as the years since the initial release date have passed by. And that probably also has something to do with Ted's absence as well, in terms of what material was chosen to be recorded.

43. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (02-18-2021),ZahZoo (02-18-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I liked Permanent Vacation, similar to Def Leppard I seem to have fallen out of love with them 1 album later than a lot of you.

I get it that like DL and Pyromania it is the beginning of the end but there are some great stuff on there and ok Desmond Child has his finger in 2 of the big singles but there is plenty of good stuff on PV. I always really liked Simoriah.

Back in the day someone told me that there was some business estimate that the album cover of DWM lost so many million dollars. It was a Spinal Tap level of dumb to have an illegible cover back in the day of browsing through record sleeves in record shops... PV sold over 10 times as many(not that that means everything)

Looking at the tracking on PV just now I had forgotten that Dude Looks Like Lady was song #5 so they clearly didn't realize it was going to be such a huge song for them.

Wow looking at Wikki Hangman Jury was the first single?
    Title track to PV was good. Same with Hangman Jury.

Far as Leppard, for many anything post-High 'N Dry sucks balls. Still think both Pyromania and Hysteria are great albums, myself, though these days I can't be bothered with any of the tracks from either of those albums that have been played to death on the radio: you reach a limit on how many times you either need to or can stand to listen to those signature Leppard radio tunes. I still give Too Late For Love, Die Hard The Hunter, Gods of War and Billy's Got A Gun a listen once in a blue moon.

45. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (02-18-2021),ZahZoo (02-18-2021)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Title track to PV was good. Same with Hangman Jury.

Far as Leppard, for many anything post-High 'N Dry sucks balls. Still think both Pyromania and Hysteria are great albums, myself, though these days I can't be bothered with any of the tracks from either of those albums that have been played to death on the radio: you reach a limit on how many times you either need to or can stand to listen to those signature Leppard radio tunes. I still give Too Late For Love, Die Hard The Hunter, Gods of War and Billy's Got A Gun a listen once in a blue moon.
    I'm at the point now where hearing 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' actually makes me angry and it seems like the music media, particularly radio for some reason I don't understand at all have decided that it is by far their best song.

There is an argument to be made that like Highlander 2 Hysteria is one of those pieces of art that actually manages to make it's predecessor worse by highlighting all the problems that weren't obvious before. Unlike Highlander 2 though it can't be denied that Hysteria was a commercial triumph...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Skyscraper was certainly a more mannered type of rock than what was on EEAS, that's for sure.

Was never all that wild about JLP or Stand Up, myself. Title track was interesting as something sort of non-typical of what Roth had done up to that point.

Honestly, it has been quite a while - and I mean, probably well over a decade now - that I've actually had the hankering to listen to Skyscraper from start-to-finish. Some of that has to do with the way it sounds from a production standpoint, and it'd be reasonable to suggest Ted's absence had more than a little bit to do with that. Some of it has to do with the fact that I've always considered some of the Skyscraper material a bit weak. I mean, I wasn't particularly thrilled with, say, I'm Easy or That's Life on EEAS...but those tunes sort of made sense in terms of where they were placed on the album and had the benefit of being either surrounded or preceded by killer tunes. These days, the only tune on Skyscraper that REALLY knocks it out of the park for me is Damn Good: a lot of the other material on the album has become more timely than timeless for me as the years since the initial release date have passed by. And that probably also has something to do with Ted's absence as well, in terms of what material was chosen to be recorded.
    Van Halen’s manager and others who knew Dave said Dave is a song and dance guy. The guy liked disco. Dave had a bit of Danny Kay in him. If he was born a bit earlier he would be the guy tap dancing. Dave was that. The Van Halen’s were the real rockers. They had no interest in song and dance shit. But that contrast of Dave being song and dance and the Van Halen’s wanting rock hard made Van Halen interesting. Dave brought the swagger and the rap. The Van Halen’s brought the thunder.

48. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-18-2021),Von Halen (02-19-2021)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'm at the point now where hearing 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' actually makes me angry and it seems like the music media, particularly radio for some reason I don't understand at all have decided that it is by far their best song.

There is an argument to be made that like Highlander 2 Hysteria is one of those pieces of art that actually manages to make it's predecessor worse by highlighting all the problems that weren't obvious before. Unlike Highlander 2 though it can't be denied that Hysteria was a commercial triumph...
    It’s not always the best song that becomes the hit single. I never liked Jump but it was VH’s big hit. It’s my least favorite song of theirs.

50. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-18-2021),Von Halen (02-18-2021)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Hysteria...

Part of the initial problem with me re: Hysteria is that it was so dense in terms of the multitracked guitars - and multiple guitar parts - that it was difficult when it first came out for me to really get a handle on the album as far as the tunes went. Unlike High 'N Dry or Pyromania, I had to listen to Hysteria a LOT to get into the album.

The other part of the problem is sort of two-fold and ties into the aforementioned stuff, where Hysteria - even by Mutt Lange standards - was totally overlabored far as the recording process went. Doubtless, the initial recording sessions with Jim Steinman, the subsequent scrapping of those sessions, Rick Allen's accident and subsequent rehab, the return of Lange and a 15 month recording and mixing process all contributed to that. But...Hysteria sounds more than a bit sterile to me as a result of all that, and more than a few of the tracks seem less like songs (or decent songs) than exercises in overdubbing.

I like Women
    Animal
    Gods Of War
    Don't Shoot Shotgun (dumb song title, but whatever)
    Hysteria

Rocket seems less a song than a bunch of wacky overdubbing and mixing tricks.
    Love Bites is okay, but even by Leppard's own commercially hungry standards a bit too poppy for my liking.
    Pour Some Sugar on me is a decent pop rock tune. No more, no less.
    Armageddon It, to me, is just disposable filler.
    Run Riot, to me, is more disposable filler.
    Excitable, to me, is more disposable filler.
    Love And Affection, to me, is more disposable filler.

I mean, doubtless Pyromania was just as calculated an effort, but at least the production isn't quite as synthetic-sounding as Hysteria in terms of the result: with Pyromania, even the biggest tunes on the record in commercial terms still rocked to a degree, and while there was plenty of double and triple tracking on the guitar parts for the most part Pyromania refrained from having, say, 5 or 6 different guitar parts mixed together, unnecessarily cluttering up the sound as was the case on Hysteria at times.

52. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (02-18-2021)

Thread Information