No announcement yet.

Coronavirus Community Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't believe the temperatures in Arkansas are warm enough to have any effect yet. We're barely getting highs in the 70's and lows in the upper 40's and 50's.

Look at Miami and most of Florida they are much warmer and still seeing fairly high Covid19 spread. From reading science based stuff, it's undetermined if warmer temperatures and humidity will have a similar effect as colds and flu does.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Not bad enough that the grocery store is out of TP, but now they are out of plastic bags at the register. They started a "scan and go" thing a few months ago, there are rolls of those bags at the registers.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nitro Express View Post
        I imagine Arkansas has warmed up enough where the virus will start to die off. Warm weather usually does them in. One of our local nurses just returned from New Jersey where they helped out there. She said there were some very sick people and the worst was they couldn't have any visitors and people died alone. Maybe why the COVID19 wasn't nearly as bad in California is it's a warmer climate.

Anyways I'm tired of everyone arguing about this shit. It doesn't help the situation. It makes it worse but nobody see's things the same way and it is what it is. Still better off here than in The People's Republic of China.
        UV and warmer temps with humility do kill the virus, but you still have to be careful as many countries had large spread in the midst of the southern hemisphere summer, like Australia...
        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 04-23-2020, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Exactly - how can we rely on the heat to kill it when Australia got thousands of cases in middle of their hottest ever summer?

Comment

• Restaurant’s air conditioning tied to 9 COVID-19 cases among diners

Restaurant’s air conditioning tied to 9 COVID-19 cases among diners who sat near single infected person

Posted: Apr 23, 2020 / 09:53 AM EDT / Updated: Apr 23, 2020 / 09:53 AM EDT
            GUANGZHOU, China – Researchers found that the air conditioning system at a restaurant in China likely helped pass COVID-19 from a single diner to nine other people.

The field study was performed by Chinese researchers and published on the website of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It may provide insight into how cities and states can safely open restaurants in the future – as well as the perils of doing so.

The researchers added that their study did have limitations – for instance, they weren’t able to simulate the airborne transmission route.

The study involved three families, one of which, family A, had just traveled from Wuhan to Guangzhou Jan. 23. On January 24, the infected member of family A sat with three other family members around a table at the windowless Guangzhou eatery.

The two other families, B and C, sat at adjacent tables. An air conditioning unit was blowing air across the restaurant directly at all three families.

By Feb. 5, all four members of family A, three members of family B and two members of family C had COVID-19.

Researchers found no other known source of exposure besides the trip to the restaurant. At least one person in families B and C caught the virus at the restaurant, but it’s not known whether or not the other cases were from family transmission.

The study’s authors point out that the 73 other diners who were at the restaurant that day didn’t get sick, but those sitting in the path of the AC unit’s airflow did.

“To prevent spread of COVID-19 in restaurants, we recommend strengthening temperature-monitoring surveillance, increasing the distance between tables, and improving ventilation,” they wrote.

Copyright 2020 WIVB Ch4
            Last edited by Nickdfresh; 04-23-2020, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by twonabomber View Post
              Not bad enough that the grocery store is out of TP, but now they are out of plastic bags at the register. They started a "scan and go" thing a few months ago, there are rolls of those bags at the registers.
              Plastic bags were banned a long time ago here. Most people had their own reusable bags made out of some sort of fabric, but now most stores have temporarily banned them, due to the virus risk. Which leaves the good old paper bags. Which are good for holding groceries... but not so much for carrying if you need more than one bag of groceries.. bags have "handles" but they are useless if you have more than one pound of groceries in the bag. So I take my cloth bags anyway, and wrap them around the paper bag. Win for me because the bags don't rip open. Win for the store because they get to keep their temporary policy (though my bags are virus free as long as I am). Sad that more trees have to die for the paper bags though. Might be a good time to start making them out of hemp fiber.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Wish I could take credit for this but someone on another forum I frequent posted
                the following:

"Opening up certain states fully when all other states are practicing safe
                distancing is the same as having a peeing section in a swimming pool!!
                Originally posted by sadaist
                I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Originally posted by FORD View Post
                  Plastic bags were banned a long time ago here. Most people had their own reusable bags made out of some sort of fabric, but now most stores have temporarily banned them, due to the virus risk. Which leaves the good old paper bags. Which are good for holding groceries... but not so much for carrying if you need more than one bag of groceries.. bags have "handles" but they are useless if you have more than one pound of groceries in the bag. So I take my cloth bags anyway, and wrap them around the paper bag. Win for me because the bags don't rip open. Win for the store because they get to keep their temporary policy (though my bags are virus free as long as I am). Sad that more trees have to die for the paper bags though. Might be a good time to start making them out of hemp fiber.
                  Plastic bags were only recently banned and it wasn't even being enforced, but they can be used for the time being with the COVIDs stuff going on. Irregardless, most places are short or are out because of the law...

Comment

• Cuyahoga County banned plastic bags sometime last year and also are allowing them to be used for now.

Most of the time I just tell the cashier "I'll make it" and carry two or three items out without a bag. One less thing to have to keep track of.
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• I guess there was a lawsuit that was blocking enforcement here. If I grab a couple things I don't bother, and I am trying to remember to stash the reusable bags in my car for groceries...

Comment

• I got a bunch of reusable bags from work. I usually forget them at home, but I got 'em!

Comment

• Originally posted by twonabomber View Post

Had some local bands scheduled to play outside on Friday nights and there was some new music festival planned. Probably not happening.
                          Friday night concerts...cancelled...

Comment

• Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Even with all the social distancing that has been in place for the last month, down here in Florida we're averaging around a hundred new confirmed cases daily over the last week, give or take.

Considering the vast majority of the population down here haven't even been tested at all, one guesses the actual amount of cases per day is higher.

Schools are closed through the end of the semester.

People seem to be gearing up for May 1st as some sort of reopening day, but exactly what restrictions will be lifted and how businesses will reopen in terms of procedure remains to be seen.

Lot of smaller/independent/non-corporate or non-conglomerate businesses...it'll be interesting to see how many of those actually come back at all, seeing as more than a few of those didn't get their small business stimulus funds before it was too late for them anyway: some of these businesses can only stay afloat for so long with next to no revenue coming in while operating expenses (even at a reduced capacity) are still going out.

The smaller, family-run hotels and motels on the Gulf? Man, they already lost part of February, all of March and now half of April, which is essentially one of THE busiest times of year where I'd imagine a healthy chunk of their yearly revenue is made...lotta available commercial real estate will be up for grabs down here in fairly short order.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nickdfresh View Post
                                Irregardless, most places are short or are out because of the law...
                                Sorry to be a jerkstore but "Irregardless" just sets me off. Same as "alot".
                                Feel free to use "regardless" instead if you like and blast away with any
                                grammar police/dickhead emojis.

Just me.
                                Originally posted by sadaist
                                I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

Working...
                                X