Warning: Undefined array key "birthday" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/notice.php on line 1 Coronavirus Community Watch - The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus Community Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's saying that to keep people doing it.

You haven't been distancing long enough for that to affect current things, your distancing just now stops people dying in a week or two.

I'm afraid you haven't seen even a sniff yet of what is coming.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-26-2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshmeister View Post

You haven't been distancing long enough for that to affect current things, your distancing just now stops people dying in a week or two.

We know, the "apex" is 2-3 weeks away...

Kudos to Elon Musk for converting his state sponsored white elephant Tesla plant in Buffalo to make ventilators...

Comment

About 35+ of the 47 cases in my county all originated from a community spread during a children's program at a church March 5th... 21 days ago. Most of those cases tested positive in the last 5-7 days. I figure it will be at least 2-6 weeks before most shutdown activities show results.
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

That said we had someone local go from first symptoms on Saturday to dead yesterday and that was with an ICU bed at the end. 65 year old male no other underlying health conditions.

I have to assume this is an outlier or the virus would have burnt itself out quicker but it shows you can't generalise and people assuming this only affects old frail people is like those that said only gay guys would die of AIDS.

Locally I also know of a couple of very sick previously very fit 45 year olds.

Comment

That said we had someone local go from first symptoms on Saturday to dead yesterday and that was with an ICU bed at the end. 65 year old male no other underlying health conditions.

I have to assume this is an outlier or the virus would have burnt itself out quicker but it shows you can't generalise and people assuming this only affects old frail people is like those that said only gay guys would die of AIDS.

Locally I also know of a couple of very sick previously very fit 45 year olds.
            Yeah. During the Spanish Flu of 1918-1920, the initial people sick and the majority of moralities seemed to be older people that typically get sick in flu season and have dire complications. The second phase that killed the vast majority arrived in the US in October of 1919 and killed the most victims, most of them young (including my great-granduncle who died at 17 years old). The virus mutated and caused a cytokine storm in younger people effectively using their stronger immune systems against them. Also, remember vaping? That might have fucked a lot of millennial lungs and that could cause a severe problem with COVID-19...

Comment

Locally, in my county of Erie, about 250 confirmed, five dead all in their 70's or 80's. But the local hospitals are now deploying medical triage tents outside for the coming storm...

Comment

To clarify, the level of infections in NYS seems to be leveling off and hopefully will reduce the APEX....

Comment

I wish I could see a leveling in Arkansas... steady climb and now spreading to surrounding counties from early reported cases. This was to be expected as testing became more readily available. Most projections are now pushing to peak by the end of April.

Comment

One of the things that concerns me is along the lines of people not taking the spread seriously...

My thoughts are a bit jumbled, but it's sort of like...people tend to look at winning in terms of points on the board or getting something. As a species, we will "win" by mitigating the spread of the virus. So, in this case, it's not getting something that equals winning.

As more jobs are lost and people are holed up in their homes with their future uncertain...if the spread of the virus has at that point been mitigated but we still have no real idea how many people actually still have it (vs. the number of cases detected, and the difference between those two could be vast), the pressure to reopen society as usual is going to be intense. The fact of the matter is, even if martial law is declared (and no reasonable person WANTS that), there aren't enough military and police personnel to physically enforce keeping the entire population in their homes, particularly since containing the virus isn't like suppressing a looting or a riot.

There are a lot of people who, without even knowing the infection rate or the actual lethality rate once infected, want things ramped back up to where they were yesterday, virus be damned: you live your life, you take your chances.

Even though my county down here in Florida has restricted activities to going out and getting essentials, well, Starbucks is still open. Every corner gas station is still open (if the vast bulk of the population are staying at home and not travelling anywhere, do we really need every single gas station open?). Every franchise restaurant is still open for curbside takeout.

The entire country simply isn't willing to stay at home under quarantine for two weeks, so we're doing these half-measures, trying to keep from shutting down businesses entirely, plodding along like we have ultimate control over the virus. We don't. The only control we have is to stay away from each other. The virus doesn't give a shit about the Dow Jones, the next fiscal quarter or the upcoming election.

We're quarantining by degrees, which is like going to war by inches. Half-assing it just prolongs the agony and without decreasing the spread as quickly as we otherwise might.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

I got my summer car out the other day. Went to the car wash, got back on the road and went to Sam's Club for gas. Parking lot at Sam's looked like a normal weekday afternoon. So yeah, people aren't taking it too seriously.

Yes, I was out, but there was no one else at the car wash and I was alone in my car

The Sam's and a bunch of other stores are not far from work. Those stores are all open. Takeout only at the food joints. Thought traffic might not be so bad, it was a little lighter but not "OMG stay at home" lighter. Or else we all have essential jobs and leave at the same time...
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

I have been told of a speakeasy here in town. I'm not looking to out it, or go there, just kind of LOL about it. Curious where it is. I have a couple ideas but I'm not going to go look for it.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by twonabomber View Post
                          I have been told of a speakeasy here in town. I'm not looking to out it, or go there, just kind of LOL about it. Curious where it is. I have a couple ideas but I'm not going to go look for it.
                          I'm pretty sure there's a speakeasy a mile from my parents house. There's some connections to local police so I doubt anything will be done about it...

Last I heard they're not doing takeout (despite having good, simple bar food), but there are always hick trucks there and I saw a bartender outside today, so I'm guessing they all sit upstairs in the small banquet room and get fucked up. Hell maybe downstairs at the bar, because there's a 2500 pickup blocking the rear sliding door and tables are stood up blocking windows, so...

Comment

There's a high percentage of people not taking this seriously... you would think with all of the business closures and normal weekend off for a lot of businesses that traffic and populated areas would be empty... but no... people out everywhere.

I have a few family members that work in the medical community... talk to them and this shit is real. The stress and courage just to do their jobs is through the roof!

Comment

Current estimates for the US are over 200 000 dead.

The important thing though is Trump's viewing figures are up!

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdfresh View Post
                                I'm pretty sure there's a speakeasy a mile from my parents house. There's some connections to local police so I doubt anything will be done about it...

Last I heard they're not doing takeout (despite having good, simple bar food), but there are always hick trucks there and I saw a bartender outside today, so I'm guessing they all sit upstairs in the small banquet room and get fucked up. Hell maybe downstairs at the bar, because there's a 2500 pickup blocking the rear sliding door and tables are stood up blocking windows, so...
                                Upon further review I think I am incorrect, at least somewhat. They are renovating said bar, but I have no doubt there is some monkey business going on in there...

Comment

Working...
                                X