Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries

Coronavirus Community Watch

What's your local community doing to address this pandemic event?

I live in a small town about 7000 in population. We have schools/government offices closed, restaurants only doing drive-thru or carry-out, grocery stores have reduced hours and are offering 1 hour dedicated to people 60 or over. Churches has suspended services with many shifting to live streamed or recorded services via the internet.

Being a tourist town most of the camping areas have closed down. All sporting events suspended or cancelled.

We have 25 confirmed cases in the county out of about 25,000 population. All appear to be related to a specific church community that started from some service they held with out of state ministries folks and some that has recently returned from out of the country.

Toilet paper and meats seemed to be the most items in short supply but are making a come back.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

McDonalds are closing all their Drive Thru's in the UK from today.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Some thing Zah said here. We have 100% nonessential personnel laid off and it is take out food and liquor only at restaurants. Retail like grocery, big box stores, autoparts, etc. are open..

Gov. Cuomo did say that the state is now planning on how to restore the economy, I suspect when late spring comes things will open up gradually...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 03-23-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A guy I worked with was thrown out of work (he was leaving anyways) early because he was in the same Orange Theory gym as a confirmed case. There have been several positive tests and it's growing. NY has the most US cases but we're doing most of the testing...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Stay at home order starts tonight. Haven't heard if I'm not working yet, I expect there will be meetings at shift change.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We're running, considered essential. Getting an extra $3 an hour starting last night at midnight, day or night shift, through April 6.

Sure was a lot of traffic this morning though...but looking at the list, there doesn't seem to be much shut down.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Getting an extra $3 an hour starting last night at midnight, day or night shift, through April 6.
    Not exactly life changing. I hope the supermarkets are paying staff danger money, they should be able to afford it. I feel sorry for people in the cities forced to take the subways or buses to get to work.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I had to drive into work yesterday for a few hours... morning commute traffic was non-existent. Still people out and about but probably only 30-40% of what's normally on road at that time.

Swung by a Walmart for a few groceries while in the big city... thankfully plenty of beer in stock which I can't get in my small town/dry county.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

As of last weekend, things looked relatively normal at the grocery stores around here with the exception of the toilet paper aisle. Still don't get the freakout on that. Respiratory illnesses don't make you shit more often, for fucks sake.

Of course now that my old friend & neighbor Jay has declared a statewide lockdown, panic mode might well set in at the local Safeway. He claims its a two week thing, so I should be good through that, at least.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's going to be longer than 2 weeks...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Not exactly life changing. I hope the supermarkets are paying staff danger money, they should be able to afford it. I feel sorry for people in the cities forced to take the subways or buses to get to work.
    No, not life changing, but highly unexpected. Around $230 if I only work my scheduled days. I joked that I would donate that to a "single mother" that is, if I can stomach someone being close to me after this lol.

We are a very conservative company. They were prepared to pay us the two weeks if we were ordered shut and not make us file for unemployment. My friend works for a well-known "race car" parts manufacturer, they're down and he's gotta file. He's 52 and never had to file for unemployment.

I have friends in retail that aren't getting anything extra yet.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    thankfully plenty of beer in stock which I can't get in my small town/dry county.
    I have opened the Strategic Vodka Reserve. I'm a couple bottles ahead and will get another tomorrow. Just need to find more orange juice, I'll have cranberry today for a change.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If you think your leader is a idiot, here comes the king of the fuckwits...

Brazil's Jair Bolsonaro says coronavirus crisis is a media trick

Far-right president has resisted strong measures to stop spread of what he calls a ‘little flu’

Brazil’s far-right president, Jair Bolsonaro, has accused his political foes and the press of purposefully “tricking” citizens about the dangers of coronavirus, as Latin America braced for a spike in the number of deaths.

The pandemic has claimed nearly 15,000 lives across the globe and looks set to exact a deadly toll on Latin America in the coming weeks, with many regional governments closing borders and shutting down major cities in a desperate bid to limit the damage.

But Bolsonaro has resisted such drastic measures, dismissing media “hysteria” over coronavirus and calling the illness “a little flu”.

In a tetchy television interview on Sunday night Bolsonaro again downplayed the pandemic and attacked the governors of key states including Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo who have ordered residents to stay at home and are imposing quarantines.

“The people will soon see that they were tricked by these governors and by the large part of the media when it comes to coronavirus,” Bolsonaro said, as his own health officials announced 25 deaths and 1,546 cases of coronavirus in Brazil.

Bolsonaro claimed a wave of pot-banging protests, which entered their sixth night on Sunday, were a part of a media-backed plot to topple him.

“It is a shameless campaign, a colossal and absurd campaign against the head of state … They want to force me out however possible,” he claimed.

On Monday two opinion polls suggested widespread discontent with Bolsonaro’s behaviour.

One, by the Brazilian pollster Ibope, found 48% of people in the city of São Paulo now considered his administration bad or awful.

Another, by the Datafolha group, said 51% of wealthy Brazilians and 46% of those with a university education were similarly unimpressed with his handling of the coronavirus crisis.

Eliane Cantanhêde, a political commentator for the conservative Estado de São Paulo newspaper, said support for Bolsonaro had not completely collapsed.

“We have to recognise that many Bolsonaristas are still Bolsonaristas. I have friends with university degrees – lawyers, diplomats – who believe everything he says … A very strongly Bolsonarista bastion still exists.”

“But others – who voted for him [in 2018] but are not diehard Bolsonaristas – are starting to see clearly that something is wrong and that the president lives in a parallel universe,” Cantanhêde added.

In a column published last December Cantanhêde declared Bolsonaro not just the overwhelming favourite for the 2022 election, but “unbeatable”.

Now, she believes his reaction to coronavirus has shredded those hopes.

“I think he’s fatally wounded for the election [in 2022] … If the election was held today there is a big chance Bolsonaro would be defeated,” Cantanhêde said. “This was a watershed moment.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...box=1584969318

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think it's a media trick, but I believe the media is going to milk this for all it's worth.

Our local FOX station morning show has been quick to defend their handling of storm coverage. They've got one anchor who sits there and claims that they are doing a service, "just trying to help," and practically "how DARE you" complain when your shows are interrupted for storm coverage. I don't get that station on the antenna at home so I haven't been watching but I wouldn't doubt they are doing the same thing with this.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think the three most important things to do are hand washing, social distancing and not watching FOX.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The local FOX doesn't (yet) toe the Republican line like the national does, but the constant pontificating after stories has turned me off.

I haven't bothered to turn the locals on this week, not even for the weather.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I keep getting Tinder and Bumble notifications. I wonder if "I wouldn't mind catching a virus from something as fine as YOU" would be a good pick-up line...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This is why world leaders used to avoid just saying whatever BS comes into their head.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...virus-n1167166

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Darwin at work. Enough Googling and they would have found it anyways.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

How can people be talking about returning to normal in 2 weeks. The cases will double every 5 days so the US and UK so we will have 8 times as many cases in 2 weeks.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Two weeks is overly optimistic... most folks who've contracted it may not even show symptoms for the first 2 weeks. To have an impact I believe 4-8 weeks is more realistic if you can get majority of the population to limit their public movement to only essential things.

I understand the impact to small businesses... but this should be a huge wake-up call to business owners and most people. If shutting down for a week or a month puts you out of business... your business model needs serious adjustment.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I understand the impact to small businesses... but this should be a huge wake-up call to business owners and most people. If shutting down for a week or a month puts you out of business... your business model needs serious adjustment.
    That's easy to say but to be 'efficient' enough so that you can compete with the big corporations that don't have to pay tax, margins are super tight for a lot of people.

Plus a lot of people have wives and they are as spendy as fuck.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    LOL no kidding on the spendy wives element!!

It takes a ton of discipline and risk management to keep a business open these days especially with mega-corporations like Amazon, etc out there sucking up most of the small business opportunity.

I've just observed a lot of small businesses in my little town go under because they didn't plan or execute a sound approach for handling seasonal swings due to our tourist based industry...

On the Pandemic front... 4 days holding on no new positive cases in my county. First death recorded was a 91 year old man.

This virus is brutal on the elderly and people with existing health issues.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If you think your leader is a idiot, here comes the king of the fuckwits...

Brazil's Jair Bolsonaro says coronavirus crisis is a media trick

Far-right president has resisted strong measures to stop spread of what he calls a ‘little flu’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...box=1584969318
    The irony here is that Brazilian street and drugs gangs are imposing curfews in the inner cities and riding around in cars with bullhorns telling people to get off the streets and to enforce social distancing as "they're not taking COVID-19 seriously enough!"

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

On the Pandemic front... 4 days holding on no new positive cases in my county. First death recorded was a 91 year old man.

This virus is brutal on the elderly and people with existing health issues.
    It's interesting reading about how the US led the fight against ebola when you compare her to nowadays.

I think what hasn't registered yet with a lot of people is that it doesn't even matter if you control it in the US it will just come back again. That's why the US sent 3000 troops to help fight ebola in Africa. The minute something is a pandemic then it's a planet problem. Pandemics don't have nationalities, that's why H1N1 wasn't called North American flu.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's starting to get bad in NYC, they have a refrigerated body truck to house the dead at Elmhurst Hospital...

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Reports here, Arkansas, that the Governor will most likely declare a 10 day shelter in place order for the state. Seems to be stepping up the shutdown of things beyond non-essential businesses.

It's really a shame that they have to take these measures... but on the other hand, people just aren't taking this seriously enough and voluntarily staying home.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

On the upside, Gov Cuomo said the social distancing measures seem to be lessening the hospital inflow...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He's saying that to keep people doing it.

You haven't been distancing long enough for that to affect current things, your distancing just now stops people dying in a week or two.

I'm afraid you haven't seen even a sniff yet of what is coming.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-26-2020 at 05:40 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You haven't been distancing long enough for that to affect current things, your distancing just now stops people dying in a week or two.

We know, the "apex" is 2-3 weeks away...

Kudos to Elon Musk for converting his state sponsored white elephant Tesla plant in Buffalo to make ventilators...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...dy/2914638001/

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    About 35+ of the 47 cases in my county all originated from a community spread during a children's program at a church March 5th... 21 days ago. Most of those cases tested positive in the last 5-7 days. I figure it will be at least 2-6 weeks before most shutdown activities show results.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That said we had someone local go from first symptoms on Saturday to dead yesterday and that was with an ICU bed at the end. 65 year old male no other underlying health conditions.

I have to assume this is an outlier or the virus would have burnt itself out quicker but it shows you can't generalise and people assuming this only affects old frail people is like those that said only gay guys would die of AIDS.

Locally I also know of a couple of very sick previously very fit 45 year olds.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That said we had someone local go from first symptoms on Saturday to dead yesterday and that was with an ICU bed at the end. 65 year old male no other underlying health conditions.

I have to assume this is an outlier or the virus would have burnt itself out quicker but it shows you can't generalise and people assuming this only affects old frail people is like those that said only gay guys would die of AIDS.

Locally I also know of a couple of very sick previously very fit 45 year olds.
    Yeah. During the Spanish Flu of 1918-1920, the initial people sick and the majority of moralities seemed to be older people that typically get sick in flu season and have dire complications. The second phase that killed the vast majority arrived in the US in October of 1919 and killed the most victims, most of them young (including my great-granduncle who died at 17 years old). The virus mutated and caused a cytokine storm in younger people effectively using their stronger immune systems against them. Also, remember vaping? That might have fucked a lot of millennial lungs and that could cause a severe problem with COVID-19...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Locally, in my county of Erie, about 250 confirmed, five dead all in their 70's or 80's. But the local hospitals are now deploying medical triage tents outside for the coming storm...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

To clarify, the level of infections in NYS seems to be leveling off and hopefully will reduce the APEX....

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I wish I could see a leveling in Arkansas... steady climb and now spreading to surrounding counties from early reported cases. This was to be expected as testing became more readily available. Most projections are now pushing to peak by the end of April.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    One of the things that concerns me is along the lines of people not taking the spread seriously...

My thoughts are a bit jumbled, but it's sort of like...people tend to look at winning in terms of points on the board or getting something. As a species, we will "win" by mitigating the spread of the virus. So, in this case, it's not getting something that equals winning.

As more jobs are lost and people are holed up in their homes with their future uncertain...if the spread of the virus has at that point been mitigated but we still have no real idea how many people actually still have it (vs. the number of cases detected, and the difference between those two could be vast), the pressure to reopen society as usual is going to be intense. The fact of the matter is, even if martial law is declared (and no reasonable person WANTS that), there aren't enough military and police personnel to physically enforce keeping the entire population in their homes, particularly since containing the virus isn't like suppressing a looting or a riot.

There are a lot of people who, without even knowing the infection rate or the actual lethality rate once infected, want things ramped back up to where they were yesterday, virus be damned: you live your life, you take your chances.

Even though my county down here in Florida has restricted activities to going out and getting essentials, well, Starbucks is still open. Every corner gas station is still open (if the vast bulk of the population are staying at home and not travelling anywhere, do we really need every single gas station open?). Every franchise restaurant is still open for curbside takeout.

The entire country simply isn't willing to stay at home under quarantine for two weeks, so we're doing these half-measures, trying to keep from shutting down businesses entirely, plodding along like we have ultimate control over the virus. We don't. The only control we have is to stay away from each other. The virus doesn't give a shit about the Dow Jones, the next fiscal quarter or the upcoming election.

We're quarantining by degrees, which is like going to war by inches. Half-assing it just prolongs the agony and without decreasing the spread as quickly as we otherwise might.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I got my summer car out the other day. Went to the car wash, got back on the road and went to Sam's Club for gas. Parking lot at Sam's looked like a normal weekday afternoon. So yeah, people aren't taking it too seriously.

Yes, I was out, but there was no one else at the car wash and I was alone in my car

The Sam's and a bunch of other stores are not far from work. Those stores are all open. Takeout only at the food joints. Thought traffic might not be so bad, it was a little lighter but not "OMG stay at home" lighter. Or else we all have essential jobs and leave at the same time...

Thread Information