X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Fountains of Wayne Singer Dies after COVID-19 Infection

Fountains Of Wayne's Adam Schlesinger Has Died After Testing Positive For Coronavirus

STEWART PERRIE in NEWS
    Last updated 1:47, Thursday 02 April 2020 BST

Singer and co-founder of the band Fountains of Wayne, Adam Schlesinger, has died after testing positive for coronavirus.

The 'Stacy's Mom' singer was 52.

Adam's lawyer Josh Grier confirmed to Rolling Stone the artist died due to complications from Covid-19. He had been hospitalised and placed on a ventilator two weeks ago, according to Variety.

Schlesinger was inspired to write the iconic Fountains of Wayne track over a friendship he had when he was young.

"One of my best friends, when we were maybe 11 or 12, came to me and announced that he thought my grandmother was hot. And I said, 'Hey, you're stepping over the line,' but at that point in life, I wouldn't put it past anyone," he recalled to MTV News.

The 2003-hit song 'Stacey's Mom' earned his band two Grammy Awards for Best New Artist and Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal.

But the singer-songwriter was also incredibly successful outside Fountains of Wayne.

Before releasing 'Stacy's Mom', Schlesinger was nominated for an Oscar and a Golden Globe Award in 1997 for writing the title track of That Thing You Do!

He and David Javerbaum won a Daytime Emmy in 2011 for Outstanding Music And Lyrics for their song 'It's Not Just for Gays Anymore', which was performed by Neil Patrick Harris during the 65th Tony Awards.

The 52-year-old also copped several Emmy nominations and one award for for his work on TV show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

LINK

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by private parts
      Don't know about Ebola but the CDC says 12k died in the US from 2009 H1N1. This article suggests it was 10 times that.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...iously-thought
      I believe it is 10X that, but not just the US, the world total...

By the same token, people who have died from COVID-19 are also under-counted, because at least some have died of it without a test to verify...

*Above post was merged from a separate thread as I didn't see that Sesh posted it here...
      Last edited by Nickdfresh; 04-02-2020, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          It's going to be longer than 2 weeks...
          Yeah, looks like it. Just got an email that it's been extended to May 4.

Happy happy.... joy joy.......
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
              Yeah, looks like it. Just got an email that it's been extended to May 4.

Happy happy.... joy joy.......
              Sorry but for whatever reasons Americans seem to be way behind the curve in information on this whole disaster.

Maybe it's your natural optimism or your media but hold my feet to the fire if I'm wrong but my best guess is 3 months so July followed by a few months of relaxation but not normal until November then another 4 months when it comes back.

Hopefully I'm wrong but May 4th is fantasy, you need to start adjusting your mindset.

People who are connected to you will start dying this month.
              Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-03-2020, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Well I certainly hope not. Everybody I know is doing well, so far.

Haven't been wearing a mask outside, but after this latest info that the shit stays in the air for a while, I'm probably going to start. Fortunately, I found one I had stashed away, and it's an N95, no less. Hard to breathe in that damned thing, but I suppose it beats being harder to breathe permanently.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Our stay at home order got extended to May 1. Stores will have to set a maximum occupancy limit but no number has been mandated by the state.

First of the month the other day, payday today, and now a limit on people in the store...good thing it's supposed to be nice. I may be in line a while.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Work is fucking busy. We run 24/7 anyways but demand is up 150% over plan. BIG jobs too, we haven't run jobs this big in years. Top ten items have been prioritized. We used to do same day service, it was changed to two days a week ago and now it's seven days.

Work brought us in a box lunch from Panera the other day (which was meh), and we're going to get a catered box lunch once a week for the next month. Plant manager says it'll be one less thing we have to worry about for a day and it'll spread some business around to area restaurants. I haven't been out to eat since March 12, this weekend I will probably get pizza from the shop around the corner and tip the delivery guy well. I feel fortunate to still be working. Friend of mine isn't sure if he's going back Monday but he got an email that said the company was suspending the 401k match for the rest of the year. And my 401k...oy, vey. Good thing I have another 15 years to work.

So far the governor says the state parks will remain open. Lake is getting warmer, if I go out in the kayak I won't be close to anyone. Same with the river, it's wide enough that I'd be away from any fishermen.
                    Last edited by twonabomber; 04-03-2020, 06:39 AM.
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      Sorry but for whatever reasons Americans seem to be way behind the curve in information on this whole disaster.

Maybe it's your natural optimism or your media but hold my feet to the fire if I'm wrong but my best guess is 3 months so July followed by a few months of relaxation but not normal until November then another 4 months when it comes back.

Hopefully I'm wrong but May 4th is fantasy, you need to start adjusting your mindset.

People who are connected to you will start dying this month.
                      Here's a site I've been following with some fairly reasonable predictions... shows hospital beds usage/shortages, deaths per day, total deaths, etc... their models don't show things getting better until around June 1. You can use the drop down in the green bar to look at individual states.

Explore forecasts of COVID-19 cases, deaths, and hospital resource use.
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Question for the day... Do you think stay at home orders at a state level are necessary?

I'm in one of 8 states who haven't issued a state level stay at home order... They've "recommended" stay at home and ordered limiting bars/restaurants to carry-out only, closed theaters, hair shops, sporting events, parks, camping and all retail except for grocery, gas, etc. Plus ordered no gatherings greater than 10 in public spaces.

IMO... I'm thinking that's sufficient for my area which is mostly rural and no major metropolitan sized cities. Although there are a lot of people just not taking this seriously... I doubt a legal order will change much of that.

Thoughts..?
                        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• silverfish
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                          Question for the day... Do you think stay at home orders at a state level are necessary?

I'm in one of 8 states who haven't issued a state level stay at home order...
                          Since you asked...

I think I'd be overly cautious if i I wasn't in a "stay home" state. If the virus hasn't hit you yet, it's
                          probably only a matter of time before it arrives. I realize it's gonna be a damned if you do type
                          situation - if you close you'll hear "Why are you shutting us down?" but if you stay open they'll say
                          "Why didn't you close sooner?". All things considered, your politicians may regret they didn't err on
                          the side of caution and try to get ahead of it before your state gets slammed. I mean, seriously -
                          do you think this thing isn't gonna touch the entire USA? Be thankful you're clean thus far but do whatever takes to remain tnat way, no?...

And you gotta accept the President has NO idea how to handle this. He holds his press/gripe sessions
                          and spouts things that are immediately contradicted by his task force. Forget your politics & use your head.

Since you asked...
                          Originally posted by sadaist
                          I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo

I'm in one of 8 states who haven't issued a state level stay at home order... They've "recommended" stay at home and ordered limiting bars/restaurants to carry-out only, closed theaters, hair shops, sporting events, parks, camping and all retail except for grocery, gas, etc. Plus ordered no gatherings greater than 10 in public spaces.

IMO... I'm thinking that's sufficient for my area which is mostly rural and no major metropolitan sized cities. Although there are a lot of people just not taking this seriously... I doubt a legal order will change much of that.

Thoughts..?
                            The general consensus within the scientific community is that, as silverfish said, even if you're in a region that hasn't been impacted by it yet, it's probably only a matter of time before it arrives.

The data from the last outbreak along these lines a century ago suggested that the areas which were affected the least were those that had the most restrictive quarantine policies.

From what I've read so far, although I'm not a scientist my understanding is the virus can be present in people who either exhibit no symptoms for up to 3 weeks or the symptoms end up being very mild for some, and all the while as carriers they are spreading the virus to others that whole time.

I'd tend to think stay at home orders and travel restrictions on a federal level might be considered: I'm reasonably sure the good folks of Wyoming, Idaho, Nebraska and the Dakotas probably don't want hundreds of thousands of people currently living near the urban epicenters who could possibly have the virus yet are currently exhibiting no symptoms rushing to the center of the country to any of their states in an attempt to flee the hot spots. Much the same as I'd imagine on a micro level the folks in less populated areas of Wyoming wouldn't want people in the greater and more populated Cheyenne Metro Area fleeing to smaller towns in Wyoming should Cheyenne experience an outbreak: they'd want those folks in Cheyenne to stay put and stay at home in order to contain the spread, both within the Cheyenne area/between the residents of Cheyenne AND from the rest of the state.

Does that rationale make sense?

A legal order may well not change the minds of people who aren't taking this seriously. Unfortunately, the virus doesn't care what your religion is, or how smart you are, or what your political beliefs are, or if you think stay-at-home orders are necessary or something to be taken seriously, or if you live in a city, suburb or rural area...it doesn't even care which side of the Roth/Hagar divide you fall on.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I dunno...people already don't follow laws. Are orders laws?

People are going to get antsy once the weather breaks. Good luck keeping everyone inside if these orders get extended again and again.

A lot of local events have already cancelled, getting into July now. County fair is mid-July, I think they'll cancel soon. Our Fourth of July festival was cancelled. One good thing out of that...I don't have to clean my house for the party I have for the fireworks show.

I really don't mind being home. Went for a bike ride Friday and my friend commented that it sucked that we couldn't stop and eat after. Just a lot of stuff we like to do that we won't be doing.

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...