Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

XFL files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after suspending operations

espn.com
    XFL files for bankruptcy after suspending league
    Kevin Seifert
    Apr 10, 2020

The XFL surprised its workforce Friday morning by issuing mass layoffs and implying a grim outlook for the future of the league. The XFL suspended operations, and multiple sources told ESPN that the league currently had no plans to return in 2021.

Indeed, it probably will become this country's first pro sports league to succumb to the coronavirus pandemic. The XFL's apparent demise represents yet another failure to establish an elusive alternative football league to the NFL.

As the day concludes, I'll clarify what I know, what I don't know and what I think regarding what it all means.

Why is anyone surprised? Wasn't this just a matter of time?

No. The league suspended play March 12 after playing half of its 10-week season, and it officially canceled the remainder of the season on March 20. Throughout that time, however, league and team employees -- including players -- were paid their normal salaries in preparation for the 2021 season. The XFL reiterated its plan to continue working toward next season as recently as three weeks ago.

So does this mean the league isn't coming back?

According to staffers who were on Friday's companywide conference call, COO Jeffrey Pollack stopped short of saying the league was going out of business. That would be a decision for owner Vince McMahon, who also is the chairman/CEO of WWE. In a statement, WWE said only that the XFL is "evaluating next steps."

But a number of league staffers left the call with the strong impression that the XFL would be shuttered, and that the handful of remaining executives would wrap up the business before departing themselves. One staffer said: "It's done. It's not coming back."

Throughout the day, some high-profile league employees tweeted about their time in the league in the past tense.

Notably, the employees were laid off -- not furloughed. The league's only public acknowledgement of the news was a tweet with a seven-second video of actor Jake Gyllenhaal waving goodbye.

pic.twitter.com/MXrjtLN38c
    — XFL (@xfl2020) April 10, 2020

What changed in the past three weeks?

Pollack didn't provide much detail on the call. Staffers who listened in thought it was clear that the world's deepening economic crisis had sparked the move. Friday also marked what would have been the final week of the regular season, after which players wouldn't be owed any more salary.

But doesn't McMahon have enough money to carry the league into 2021?

McMahon is currently worth $1.9 billion, according to Forbes magazine. That's down from $2.9 billion in 2019. It should also be noted that WWE was going through some upheaval before the pandemic. McMahon ousted two top executives in January after lower-than-expected revenues, and WWE's stock price has dropped by 42% this year to date.

The biggest question the XFL faced, as I noted when the season began, was not whether the league would run out of money, as the Alliance of American Football did in 2019, but how long McMahon was willing to fund it.

How much money did he lose in this version of the XFL?

I don't know. The league spent two years in development before putting its product on the field, and even then revenues were relatively light. Per its agreement with ABC, ESPN and Fox, the XFL received no rights fees this year to televise its games. (Broadcasters covered production costs.)

To be fair, player costs, the highest expense for most sports leagues, were relatively low. Most were set to earn about $55,000 if they were on a roster for all 10 weeks of the season. Some quarterbacks earned substantially more, but the league was believed to have a lower total payroll than the AAF did in 2019.

Absent a pandemic, would the league have returned in 2021?

Probably, but only McMahon would know for sure. The league received strong Week 1 reviews and an average of 3.12 million viewers per game. But the average dropped every week and hit about 1.5 million in Week 5, a decrease of 51%. Attendance averaged 18,614 per game, about 20% higher than the average attendance at AAF games in 2019.

In interviews at midseason, Pollack and XFL commissioner Oliver Luck said the league was poised for a strong finish to carry momentum into 2021.

What is Luck's future?

He did not speak on the conference call and did not reply to a request for comment. It's not clear whether he was part of Friday's layoffs. Pollack is the only executive who is known to be remaining with the league, even in the short term. McMahon hired Luck to boost the football credibility of this XFL incarnation, and Luck made clear he would take a football-centric approach and not succumb to gimmicks to market the league.

Did the XFL have a good plan?

The only way to answer that is to say we'll probably never know. Luck and director of football operations Sam Schwartzstein conceived and applied a series of innovations they hoped would recast football for the next generation. XFL games were about 15 minutes quicker than NFL contests, and rules designed to maximize kickoffs and improve point-after attempts proved popular. In February, members of the NFL competition committee said they were intrigued by the league's innovations and planned to study them closer.

But the overall quality of play was uneven. The league did not pursue star players, a decision it signaled when it made journeyman NFL quarterback Landry Jones its first signing, and the QBs it assembled had a wide disparity in skills.

Could the league have built an enduring fan base, and supported a profitable enterprise, with a plan built around the game rather than the players? That was its play, but barring an unexpected development, we'll never know.
    Will the broadcast innovations catch on with the NFL?

XFL broadcasts featured sideline interviews with players and coaches. They regularly aired conversations between officials on the field, as well as replay officials who were deciding whether to overturn or uphold calls. It made for interesting television, but it worked in part because there had never been another paradigm in the XFL.

Does the NFL need to make their players available for interviews on the bench? Would it want its officials' process broadcast in real time? I don't think so.

Wasn't this all just a vehicle for engaging the gambling community?

I don't think it was that brazen, but the XFL definitely leaned into gambling far more than the NFL, NBA, NHL and Major League Baseball. Its plan was to "embrace the spread," authorizing its broadcasters to openly discuss and display gambling activities, and it knew it could appeal to growth segments of the sports industry simply by not standing in the way of a gambling connection.

What happens now to the XFL's players and coaches?

Players have been free to sign with the NFL since March 23, and dozens already have. The league's breakout player, quarterback P.J. Walker, joined the Carolina Panthers to back up new starter Teddy Bridgewater. Coaches would also be free to pursue new opportunities.

After this experience, will there ever be another major spring football league?

It's hard to imagine someone will try it anytime soon, if for no other reason than the likelihood of an extended economic downturn.

But in the bigger picture, we still haven't seen proof of concept for an alternative football league. The XFL was the most promising attempt since the USFL in the 1980s. In the end, though, the last successful alternative football league in this country was the AFL, which merged with the NFL in 1970. No one has cracked the code, if there even is one.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Oh well.... I think I saw maybe half of one Dragons game.... wasn't all that impressed anyway.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,615 Posts

I didn't watch. Might have been on in the break room at work, but those guys will watch 20 year old games all day if you'd let them.

Vince might be hurting soon, the crowd is a big part of WWE and taped quiet matches are only gonna go so far.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I haven't seen TV wrestling without a crowd but it must be like stand up comedy without one - almost unwatchable.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

It was bad football, I saw parts of games and some were initially interested but it wore off quickly as the NFL is pretty much 365 now anyways with trades, free agency, and off season news...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Seemed like it was going to do better than the league that folded prior to the XFL. I can't remember their name off hand. I ordered a Vipers football for my son who was really into them while it lasted.

I do think the NFL needs some kind of minor league that is on par with MLB and the NBA. A place for veterans on the way down and a place for rookies that didn't quite make the cut list. I suppose it can be argued that the CFL will do. Despite producing Kurt Warner, I never saw the Arena league as a candidate.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The last attempt at an "alternate" football league (before the first XFL attempt) was the USFL in the mid 80s.

Not too surprisingly, that league also owes its demise to the arrogance & incompetence of a certain Orange Imbecile. (though at least no pandemics were involved that time) .....

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...ld-trump-usfl/

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Don't forget about NFL Europe. Remember the Birmingham Fire and the London Monarchs?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    Seemed like it was going to do better than the league that folded prior to the XFL. I can't remember their name off hand. I ordered a Vipers football for my son who was really into them while it lasted.

I do think the NFL needs some kind of minor league that is on par with MLB and the NBA. A place for veterans on the way down and a place for rookies that didn't quite make the cut list. I suppose it can be argued that the CFL will do. Despite producing Kurt Warner, I never saw the Arena league as a candidate.
    It seemed like the team down here in Tampa was starting to generate some mild interest. Me and the missus were actually going to attend a few games with a married couple we're friends with, as the four of us go to a fair amount of sporting events (football, baseball, NASCAR) together.

Wouldn't necessarily have wagered the XFL reboot would have lasted or taken off in a big way regardless, but...yeah, once the covid shutdown happened, XFL was fucked.

10. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

sonrisa salvaje (07-20-2020)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2022 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I liked the XFL games. It was as scrappy as college but a step up and doing pro football plays. They always got some nice highlights every week with just 10 teams, and everyone focused on football. They kept all the politics crap out of it.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,615 Posts

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson buys the XFL out of bankruptcy for $15 million...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2022 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson buys the XFL out of bankruptcy for $15 million...
    https://www.espn.com/xfl/story/_/id/...ee-buy-xfl-15m

I'm glad XFL is going to continue. I liked it, and no political kneeling bull.

Thread Information