X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    I had a county sheriff tell me they used a M113 they got from the government a few times to evacuate people in active shooting situations. He liked it because it was low and had a ramp at the back. One person they had to evacuate was in a wheel chair. He said the M113 was more useful than a MRAP but the Obama Administration took the M113.
    Which active shooting situation was that? In Wyoming? You know what the cost per hour of operating an 1950's, maybe upgraded in the 70's or 80's APC is? The MRAP would have been bullet resistant enough for that situation. The M-113 had a mixed to positive service record, but it's armor was not particularly great and were essentially turned into Infantry Fighting Vehicles in Vietnam with machine guns and grenade launchers, police do not need that and in the very rare situations they do there is the National Guard...

One reason you see the MRAPs driving around is they want to keep them in running condition. Vehicles go to pot if they aren’t driven and if there are problems hopefully they show up on a maintenance drive and not when it’s needed. I’ve only seen such vehicles used in special response teams. I’m on our county sherriff’s search and rescue team and I’ve hung with some of the special response officers. They are very highly trained. Some crazy stuff goes on in places that draw a lot of tourists.
    That's fine, but the average suburban PD does not need armored vehicles. I suppose there are rare occasions they could use an Apache or Hughes 500 attack chopper, but that doesn't mean they should have them!
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-16-2020, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• private parts
      Sniper
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Seshmeister

One of the few good things we have left in the UK is that the police are not routinely armed. There are armed response units but the average cop in the street has a small club and that's about it. There is something about it that helps a bit with the perception of them not being some paramilitary force there to impose the will of the government on you.

Interestingly the police union is one of the strongest advocates of staying unarmed.
      Your Bobbys wouldn't last 5 minutes in Chiraq.
      sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• private parts
        Sniper
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        You just fundamentally don't get it - you are a white middle aged retired stockbroker in Wyoming yet think that your personal anecdotes and experiences are somehow relevant.
        Our cops will shoot a middle aged white retired stock broker if he grabs, runs off,and points his standard issue taser at him. Go ahead and try it. Prove me wrong.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by private parts
          Our cops will shoot a middle aged white retired stock broker if he grabs, runs off,and points his standard issue taser at him. Go ahead and try it. Prove me wrong.

York County man accused of using Taser device on state trooper while resisting arrest

YORK COUNTY — State Police say a 37-year-old Dover Township man used a Taser device on a trooper trying to take him into custody during an incident Saturd...
          Author: Keith Schweigert (FOX43)
          Published: 3:03 PM EST February 3, 2020

YORK COUNTY — State Police say a 37-year-old Dover Township man used a Taser device on a trooper trying to take him into custody during an incident Saturday in Red Lion.

Scott Orvis is charged with multiple counts of felony aggravated assault and two counts of disarming a law enforcement officer in the incident, which occurred around 1 a.m. on the 100 block of South Pine Street, according to the criminal complaint affidavit.

Police say Orvis started a fight with another man who had dropped off Orvis’ girlfriend at her house, refusing to let the man leave the driveway.

Orvis allegedly punched the man in the face during the confrontation, police allege.

When troopers arrived at the scene, Orvis refused to open the door for them, the complaint states. His girlfriend unlocked the door to allow troopers to enter, but Orvis held it closed from the inside until police eventually forced their way through, according to the complaint.

At that point, Orvis began resisting attempts to take him into custody, according to police. One trooper attempted to use a Taser device to subdue him, but Orvis grabbed the device from the trooper and fired it, hitting the trooper in the shoulder, police allege.

Orvis continued trying to deploy the Taser and almost hit another trooper in the head, according to police.

He was eventually taken into custody.

Police say Orvis smelled strongly of alcohol, and police discovered two open cans of beer in his vehicle.

A search of his home uncovered a 16-pack of beer with four cans remaining, according to police.

Orvis is also charged with DUI, two counts of simple assault, two counts of reckless endangerment, and two counts of resisting arrest, along with harassment, disorderly conduct, and other summary offenses, charging documents say.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here you have a guy clearly more of a threat than some poor bastard who nodded off in the Wendy's drive thru lane. Much drunker than that dude was, and clearly more violent. And he grabbed the cop's tazer. But obviously lived to tell about all.

Wonder what the difference was??
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by private parts
            Except a taser is clearly stated as not a lethal weapon by GA law. You can argue that he could have used it to incapacitate the officer, but there were other cops there.

Comment

• private parts
              Sniper
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by FORD

Wonder what the difference was??
              Cops were pussies?

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Shooting somebody in the back is about the biggest pussy move there is.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...