Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,296 Times in 4,721 Posts

Unhappy US Rep. John Lewis, iconic civil rights leader, dead at 80

kiro7.com
    US Rep. John Lewis, iconic civil rights leader, dead at 80
    Bob D'Angelo, Cox Media Group National Content Desk
    5-7 minutes

U.S. Rep. John Lewis of Georgia, an iconic civil rights leader from the 1960s who served 17 terms in Congress, died Friday night, The New York Times reported. He was 80.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi confirmed Lewis’ death to The Associated Press. Pelosi called Lewis “one of the greatest heroes of American history.”

“All of us were humbled to call Congressman Lewis a colleague, and are heartbroken by his passing,” Pelosi told the AP. “May his memory be an inspiration that moves us all to, in the face of injustice, make ‘good trouble, necessary trouble.’”

Lewis had been suffering from pancreatic cancer. He died the same day as another civil rights pioneer, Rev. C.T. Vivian. The 95-year-old Vivian died of natural causes Friday at his home in Atlanta.

Lewis was the last surviving member of the civil rights movement’s Big Six, which included Martin Luther King Jr., James Farmer, A. Phillip Randolph, Roy Wilkins, and Whitney Young.

King’s son, Martin Luther King III, tweeted that Lewis was “an American treasure.”

“He gave a voice to the voiceless, and he reminded each of us that the most powerful nonviolent tool is the vote,” King wrote.

John Lewis was an American treasure.

He gave a voice to the voiceless, and he reminded each of us that the most powerful nonviolent tool is the vote.

Our hearts feel empty without our friend, but we find comfort knowing that he is free at last.
    — Martin Luther King III (@OfficialMLK3) July 18, 2020
    Lewis announced on Dec. 29 that he had stage 4 pancreatic cancer, the Times reported.

“I have been in some kind of fight -- for freedom, equality, basic human rights -- for nearly my entire life,” he said at the time.
    John Lewis’s memory moves us all to, in the face of injustice, make “good trouble, necessary trouble.” May it be a comfort to his son John-Miles & his entire family that so many mourn their loss at this sad time. https://t.co/cPEn54Tpi6
    — Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) July 18, 2020
    Lewis helped found the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee and was named its chairman in 1963, the AP reported.

John Lewis was a beacon of light & justice & good in a world in which they are too often lacking.

His perseverance was a foundation of hope for all those who came after him. Serving in Congress alongside him was one of the great honors of my career.

Rest in power. #JohnLewis pic.twitter.com/6dadJagZ67
    — Michelle Lujan Grisham (@GovMLG) July 18, 2020
    As a 25-year-old, Lewis was beaten so badly his skull was fractured during the 1965 Bloody Sunday march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama. He was at the head of the march when he was knocked to the ground and beaten by police. The nationally televised images forced the country’s attention on the racial inequalities being fought by King and others.

John Lewis was and will always be an American hero and champion for civil rights, who inspired us all to make good trouble in the fight for justice.

Rest in power, Rep. John Lewis.
    — Elizabeth Warren (@ewarren) July 18, 2020
    Lewis would become a best-selling author and was awarded the nation’s highest civilian award, the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama, USA Today reported. Lewis was elected to his 17th term in November 2018.

In a statement, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said “our nation will never forget this American hero.”

Senate Majority Leader McConnell: “The Senate and the nation mourn the loss of Congressman John Lewis, a pioneering civil rights leader who put his life on the line to fight racism, promote equal rights, and bring our nation into greater alignment with its founding principles.” pic.twitter.com/cLHSh1vm0a
    — Zach C. Cohen (@Zachary_Cohen) July 18, 2020
    “The Senate and the nation mourn the loss of Congressman John Lewis, a pioneering civil rights leader who put his life on the line to fight racism, promote equal rights, and bring our nation into greater alignment with its founding principles,” McConnell said.

I'm struggling to find the words to describe the loss I'm feeling with the passing of my friend John Lewis. A fierce champion for justice, John meant so much to so many of us. Now, it's up to each of us to follow his powerful example and carry on. We love and miss you John. pic.twitter.com/n3qs7fjp5B
    — Senator Mazie Hirono (@maziehirono) July 18, 2020
    Rep.John Lewis.
    A giant in the shaping of our country, this America.
    When we lose a man like him, every time I find myself sitting quietly and tears for my country come forward.
    A man with the greatness of John Lewis wasn't just born, he built himself into the man he was for us. pic.twitter.com/9p3sJkreYg
    — Vincent D'Onofrio (@vincentdonofrio) July 18, 2020
    Tonight, the world grieves for the great John Lewis. In my 1st yr in the Senate, I had the privilege of traveling w/ John & much of the Congressional Black Caucus to Nelson Mandela’s funeral. The entire trip to Johannesburg, John regaled us w/ stories of being alongside Dr. King. pic.twitter.com/IKK6It3wvD
    — Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) July 18, 2020
    John Lewis was an icon who fought with every ounce of his being to advance the cause of civil rights for all Americans. I'm devastated for his family, friends, staff—and all those whose lives he touched.

My friend, thank you for showing the world what #GoodTrouble looks like. pic.twitter.com/cvG8nSJCW5
    — Kamala Harris (@KamalaHarris) July 18, 2020
    © 2020 Cox Media Group
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,392 Times in 6,052 Posts

The shame is that by the next election he might have been old enough to think about running for president...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (07-18-2020)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,296 Times in 4,721 Posts

Thread Information