• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silverfish
    Foot Soldier
    • Mar 2007

Rolling Stone: 50 Greatest Bassists of All Time

Teenage me had fingers crossed to see Gene Simmons on the list but adult me
    wasn't surprised to see him omitted. I was surprised that Billy Sheehan wasn't
    included. Also, I might've tossed in the bassist for Iron Maiden and maybe even
    Tom Hamilton from Aerosmith just for Sweet Emotion...

We count down the 50 greatest bassists of all time, from string-popping virtuosos to steady session heroes.
    Originally posted by sadaist
    I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

They didn’t put Jack Casady on the list. What a joke. The guy invented melodic bass playing and was a pioneer. More so than Phil Lesh who they did put on the list.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I do like how The Ox was number three. But is Flea really a better bass player than Geddy Lee FFS?

And I like Fleas playing, he has a great funk groove but Lee is a much better musician overall...
      Last edited by Nickdfresh; 07-04-2020, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Seems like a solid list for the most part, though I definitely agree that Billy Sheehan & Jack Cassady should be on it.

And where the fuck is Ronnie Lane?? He deserves to be there based on this performance alone....

Played it better than the guy who wrote the song (he's on the list, of course)
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

These various Rolling Stone "Best Of All Time" lists...I'm more than partially convinced half the purpose of them is merely troll-bait to keep the Rolling Stone mag name relevant.

I mean, yeah, I get that it's subjective in terms of who is included, and one person's top 50 will differ from another's, but...Duff McKagen?
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Funkmonkey
            Head Fluffer
            • Jan 2004

I was getting ready to have a monkey-fit over the list not including James Jamerson until I got to the end.

Mushroom cloud avoided. Although Carol Kaye played more Motown than Jamerson did...

Comment

• Funkmonkey
              Head Fluffer
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
              These various Rolling Stone "Best Of All Time" lists...I'm more than partially convinced half the purpose of them is merely troll-bait to keep the Rolling Stone mag name relevant.

I mean, yeah, I get that it's subjective in terms of who is included, and one person's top 50 will differ from another's, but...Duff McKagen?
              I agree.... McKagen made the list but not Nathan East?

Comment

Working...