Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

To be sure, Roth had a good run in terms of riding the crest of the wave, pop culture-wise. Nobody stays on the top of the heap forever.

Certainly, the culture shifted in the early 1990s. Perhaps for no reason other than a big chunk of the fans of hard rock in their teens and twenties in the 1980s had less interest in that stuff as the 1990s dawned and they got out of high school/university. Probably explains the highly experimental nature of YFLM: by the time 1992 rolled around, why not essay a bunch of different styles and make an eclectic album? A straight-up hard rock album from Dave in 1993 probably wouldn't have moved the needle much anyway, regardless of how good it was. I can't remember offhand if YFLM was the last release Roth had re: his Warner Brothers contract.

I'd agree with Sesh that by the time ALAE rolled around Roth (for a variety of reasons) was shuffling through band members, and that wasn't particularly helpful. I'd be lying if I claimed my initial reaction when seeing the ALAE video and hearing the tune at the time of release wasn't somewhat one of thinking it seemed a bit too typical in terms of what one expected from a Roth tune and video, despite finding the video amusing.

When I think of the state of hard rock/heavy metal from 1985 to 1992, most of the bands who had experienced success prior to 1985...for the most part, their best work was behind them (Scorpions, Priest, Maiden, Dio, Halen, Ratt) and the latter half of the 1980s was dominated by your Warrants, Wingers, Poisons, Bon Jovis and the like: a definite downward trajectory.

ALAE still holds up pretty well all these years later.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

YFLM is a decent album, judging by his radio show Dave likes it more than the rest of his solo stuff. I posted before though I got on an 8 hour bus journey to London in 1994 and got this setlist. The stage and lights and showmanship was like a pretty good wedding band and I remember standing having a piss during Sunburn thinking 'Why did I bother? I like Sunburn to this day under certain circumstances in a kind of ASMR way but not on a Saturday night rock gig. WTF was he thinking?

Thank you internet here is the set list from that night.

Big Train
      Panama
      Experience
      She's My Machine
      A Little Luck
      Oh, Pretty Woman
      Just a Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody
      Sunburn
      Beautiful Girls
      Dance the Night Away
      Night Life
      Just Like Paradise
      Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
      California Girls

Encore:
      Ice Cream Man
      Jump

Also I can't remember the length of the gig but looking at that set list it must have been really short.

To quote Woody Allen
      “There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Not a bad set list.

Have only seen a couple of boots from that (YFLM) tour. One was a single videotape cam - looked like it was audience shot from a balcony - of a (if memory serves) full gig...maybe, Chicago? I dunno, I'd have to dig it up to check. I do remember the stage from the gig was very small, so it looked like either a club or a small theater.

I have to be in a very particular mood to listen to YFLM from start-to-finish. First three tracks always knock it out of the park for me. Stuff like No Big 'Ting? Mmmm, admittedly, it's been a long while since I've had the urge to hear that one. But, not everything always works, and at least Dave was willing to do some different stuff.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Funkmonkey
          Head Fluffer
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          Dave is a huge fan of Al Jolson and Al was famous for his blackface performances. The midgets in blackface are a tip of the hat to Al Jolson. The video was probably yanked because media companies that depend on advertising don’t like controversy. Is Dave a racist? We all know he isn’t.
          No one would survive today's "cancel culture" with a video like this.

Comment

Working...