Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

David Lee Roth Is Letting His Art (Mostly) Do the Talking

David Lee Roth Is Letting His Art (Mostly) Do the Talking
    Since the Covid-19 pandemic forced him off the road, the singer has been making comics at his Los Angeles home, and calling it performance therapy.

The Van Halen frontman and solo musician David Lee Roth has devoted himself to making art while quarantined and off the road.Credit...Jessica Lehrman for The New York Times
    By Richard Bienstock
    July 13, 2020

Typically, David Lee Roth spends his days, or at least his nights, “in tactical spandex, moving at 134 beats per minute,” he said. But now the 65-year-old Van Halen singer is just like the rest of us: stuck at home and obsessing about pandemics.

However, the past few months in quarantine have led Roth to an old pursuit, with new focus. Since April, he has filled his days creating Covid-themed drawings — he calls them comics — and then sharing the finished works, one each week, on his social media channels. The art, like Roth’s music and disposition, is vibrant, whimsical and somewhat unconventional. In moments, it is confrontational. Several drawings feature his own face. Many are filled with images of frogs.

What sparked this surge of artistic expression?

“Well, I lost my job!” Roth cracked over the phone from his home in Los Angeles on an afternoon in late June. As recently as March, Roth was on tour as a solo act, supporting Kiss in arenas across the United States. Earlier in that run, Roth, who has also worked as an E.M.T. in New York, had battled an unspecified illness. “I’m not so unconvinced I didn’t have the corona,” he said. “Man, they gave me enough prednisone to put boots on the moon! We left a trail of groupies, rubble and incandescent reviews. But I don’t want to go back through it.”

Even by rock frontman standards, Roth’s ability to command full attention from his audience is renowned, whether he’s launching himself off drum risers for midair splits or schooling fans on how Van Halen is “the rock ’n’ roll band who sold Ricky Ricardo rumba to the heavy metal nation.” But now his art is doing the talking. “Social commentary is what I do,” he said. “It’s what I’ve always done.”

ImageRoth said that his artwork is social commentary and the pieces don’t have titles.
    Roth said that his artwork is social commentary and the pieces don’t have titles.Credit...Jessica Lehrman for The New York Times
    In his recent artwork, that social commentary has elicited a strong response. In one piece, he declares a name change. “Diamond Dave following Lady Antebellum’s (now ‘Lady A’) example, will be dropping the ‘Lee,’” he wrote below a drawing of, naturally, a frog. “From now on he wants us all to call him ‘David L. Roth’ or simply ‘El Roth.’” To many, it diminished the steps white artists are taking to correct racism.

Thanks for reading The Times.
    Subscribe to The Times
    “Humor — not jokes — humor, the best stuff, isn’t funny at all,” Roth said, defending his work. “My version is the truth dipped in sugar. And maybe it’s a little sugar and spice. But the good stuff compels discussions.”

Art, he continued, “has been a constant in my life. My hand has always been in wardrobe, background sets, stage sets, album covers, video direction. This is part of it. And there’s craft involved, so there’s a little bit more heft to some of the statements.”

Roth laughed. “This is the adult table; as a fellow artist, I sense you understand that.”

Another laugh.

“Next question!” These are edited excerpts from the conversation.

Why frogs?

I saw a story about Mark Twain — it was not his biography, it was a fictional piece with actors. And at the end of it ol’ Sam passes on, but he doesn’t go to heaven. He’s in the backyard where he grew up in Hannibal, Mo. And a little girl walks up and he goes, “Who are you?” She says, “I’m Becky Thatcher, and I’ve got some friends who are waiting to meet you.” And all the characters that he created come on up to greet him. So, I started my guest list. And probably the only one of that retinue that I could even spell, much less draw, was the frog from Calaveras County [from the short story “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County”].

Many of your drawings include a reference to the “Soggy Bottom.” I took this, at least in this context, to be a play on the phrase “draining the swamp.”

If I explain it, it’s a bumper sticker. If I let you explain it, it’s art. But you’re very close to exactly accurate.

Can you describe your artistic process?

My approach is the best of both worlds: vintage and hyper-atomic digital. Sort of like watching “Dragnet” on your iPad. You know, I moved to Japan for two-plus years to study Sumi-e and calligraphy, and four nights a week I trained and then I did homework. Jesus, I’ve spent thousands of hours learning to operate a horsehair brush with a block of ink that I grind myself. Hasn’t changed its recipe in 700 years.

So everything in the comics is hand-drawn — all the typeface, all the colors, the line work, the lighting. And once I’m done, I work with Colin Smith, the Led Zeppelin of Adobe Photoshop. Together we scan everything, and then I’m able to move into areas that otherwise weren’t graphically available without decades of effort.

How does using digital manipulation transform the original work?

Many of these colors can’t be found outside the cyberverse. It’s a world unto itself. Serves a well purpose, because almost all of our fine arts and graphic consumption these days is interactive with a screen, whether it’s on your PC or your wristwatch. We’re actually back to Maxwell Smart and his shoe phone. “Somebody is on my Nike!”

What appeals to you about using brush and ink as a means of artistic expression?

Hold on. This isn’t expressing myself. This is performance therapy. I’m venting. I’m angry. And I am not asking for forgiveness. And this is how I do it.

People don’t usually think of David Lee Roth as angry.

That’s because I have transcended it. It is that secret magic when you take something that is essentially sad and find humor, eloquence and sometimes illumination in it.

What is your view of this country’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic?

I sure wish our country had taken a Marine Corps approach to Covid. Instead of [creating] a divide, good or bad, right or reasonable, wrong or otherwise.

One of your pieces features the phrase “No politics during happy hour,” which feels to me like it could be an encapsulation of the Van Halen ethos.

Well, visually and graphically, the frogs underneath that caption are fighting — identical to what happened in my brief and colorful tenure with the Van Halens. [Laughs] But when you see Technicolor frogs doing it, it’s a bit more digestible. But what I’m reflecting on in that comic is the unstated. That which we don’t talk about. What does happen when we drink at happy hour and talk politics? What does it mean when we say, “Alcohol sales skyrocket again”? It’s all a bit of a diversion.

Can you say more about the piece that seems to be a response to Lady Antebellum’s name change?

It had connotations of personal politic. I sought to have a little fun at the expense of others, whose vision I will respect. And in lieu of the inevitable false-footed copycats I pretended to be one. But the supposed name change really drew some ire in terms of some folks posting from an arch right-wing stance: “Another left-winger takes a fall.” Hey, I’m a combat hippie — peace, love and enough guys and gears to defend the [expletive] out of it. You need one to support the other.

Would it be correct to identify David Lee Roth as left-leaning?

I love civil rights. Equal rights. Women’s rights. Kids’ rights. The rights of the rights. OK? The entire list. But conversely, I’m prepared to shave my head, join the Marines and go defend those rights. That in itself isn’t really a left-wing statement. Or it didn’t used to be when I was growing up. But I grew up in a really great time and a really great space during integrational busing in the ’60s. I went to schools that were 90 percent Black and Spanish, and I was in the color guard with a crew cut. Every morning at seven we’d march to put up the flag. And then at night we’d go to Kenny Brower’s brother’s house, smoke pot and listen to that new Doors record. Combat hippie!

You were on tour when the lockdown began. As a lifelong performer, was it difficult being forced to leave the road so hastily?

Every Jiu-Jitsu magazine has a 28-year-old who’s going to tell you about the two years that got taken away by his elbow. Every kickboxing magazine has a 32-year-old instructor who goes, “Well, I lost those three years to my left knee.” So I’ve just been isolating away. Because I myself am high risk.

Why do you consider yourself high risk?

The road will deteriorate you from the beginning or it will keep you alive forever. When we go out, we wear ourselves to a nubbin. I just had a lower back surgery. It was a spinal fusion where they take a chip from somebody else. I’m actually taller now. Do I seem taller? I mean, over the phone?

You last toured with Van Halen in 2015. Do you think it’ll ever happen again?

I don’t know that Eddie [Van Halen] is ever really going to rally for the rigors of the road again. [The guitarist first announced he had cancer in 2001, and it has recurred since.] I don’t even want to say I’ve waited — I’ve supported for five years. Because what I do is physical as well as musical and spiritual — you can’t take five years off from the ring. But I did. And I do not regret a second of it. He’s a band mate. We had a colleague down. And he’s down now for enough time that I don’t know that he’s going to be coming back out on the road. You want to hear the classics? You’re talking to him.

For how long will we continue to see new artwork from David Lee Roth?

Like the tattoo artist said, ’til I don’t have any friends left! Until my Instagram’s empty! I can do this endlessly. I hadn’t considered this as something other than after dinner at the campfire. But lo and behold, people have taken a real fascination.

Given that fascination, will these drawings eventually be offered for sale?

In terms of what I really do for a living, as soon as the B-list — that’s Beyoncé, Bono and Bruce [Springsteen] — say it’s OK, I’ll be back singing and dancing and selling you T-shirts. But in the interim, I am drawing and painting every night. And the fact that there’s an audience for it is quite a tickle. So of course I’ll make it available. You bet. I just didn’t see it coming. [Laughs] But like my sister says, I seem to miss the big stuff.

A version of this article appears in print on July 14, 2020, Section C, Page 2 of the New York Times
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Jetstream (07-14-2020),sonrisa salvaje (07-15-2020)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Good information. Sorry that Dave had to get a spinal fusion.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Being a paramedic or EMT these days is bad on your back. So many people are overweight first responders are throwing their backs out lifting people. That’s what’s nice about being a volunteer on the ski patrol. Very few fat skiers and we just put them in a sled and ski down the mountain with them.

I think I remember Dave saying he hurt his back while working as a EMT.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    I’m sure performing gymnastics midair jumping off a 10 foot drum riser had nothing to do with his back issues...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I’m sure performing gymnastics midair jumping off a 10 foot drum riser had nothing to do with his back issues...
    Could be but Dave religiously stretched himself out before shows and if you look at stage photos there’s a lot of padding where he would land from those jumps. He knew what he was doing because if he didn’t he would end up in the hospital real quick. Dave was pretty impressive that way.

I remember him saying something went in his back while moving a heavy person as a EMT.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

As one who has three degrees in Fine Art and a Masters in painting... Dave's art is professional and looks nothing like a mere hobby

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Yeah the closer you look they are not just doodles.

Am I the only one to spot the spelling mistake though? Stay in school kids don't go off and become a millionaire rock star!

Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-17-2020 at 09:40 AM.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    08-03-2023 @ 07:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Being a paramedic or EMT these days is bad on your back. So many people are overweight first responders are throwing their backs out lifting people. That’s what’s nice about being a volunteer on the ski patrol. Very few fat skiers and we just put them in a sled and ski down the mountain with them.

I think I remember Dave saying he hurt his back while working as a EMT.
    Dave did work as an EMT for a short while up in NYC, at one point saying he "had close to 200 drops", which means completed calls.. 200 completed patient calls is a nice start but is a small number. If he injured himself that early along, he wasn't using proper body mechanics and was lifting/carrying in unsafe manners. Much more likely,his ongoing kick and twirl and skip and prance stage moves were the reason for his back problems.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heater View Post
    Dave did work as an EMT for a short while up in NYC, at one point saying he "had close to 200 drops", which means completed calls.. 200 completed patient calls is a nice start but is a small number. If he injured himself that early along, he wasn't using proper body mechanics and was lifting/carrying in unsafe manners. Much more likely,his ongoing kick and twirl and skip and prance stage moves were the reason for his back problems.
    That’s usually when the accidents happen. Dave prepared to go on stage and do those shows. People on tour said the guy spent plenty of time seriously stretching himself out for a show. I doubt he did a full on one hour prep when he was an EMT. Lots a backs are thrown trying to lift heavy people. It’s a common cause of injuries to first responders. America has gotten fat and it’s taking it’s toll. The biggest cause of death in America is overeating. When these fat asses need medical help their fat ass is throwing the backs out of the people trying to lift them.

I blame Sammy Hagar and his greasy fat and carb loaded Cabo Wabo fake Mexican food for it all. Sam and his fat fuck friend Guy Ferei Are to blame. You got two fat fucks in love with that fat Pollock Mike Anthony dumping his sauce all over the fat greasy mess.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2022 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

That's hilarious: "We salute our front-line hair care workers"

Too funny!

Thread Information