ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,392 Times in 6,052 Posts

Question for muso and/or Bulletboys expert

Ok now we are getting into who fucking cares territory but it's been bugging me.

Since it came out there is a bit in the Bullet Boys song Smooth Up In Ya that has bothered me.

In the guitar solo at 2:37 - 2:39 in the YouTube clip here, there is a guitar run that always jarred with me as being just terrible. Then I went through a phase of thinking it's so wrong it must be clever and it's my fault but I don't think so now for two reasons. Firstly I still don't have much music theory 30 years on but it still sounds wrong to me. He's doing a pentatonic run in E over a D on the bass. Now I know just from jamming not the theory of why that you can get away with this over an A and the song is in A but not when the bass note is D and that is why it sounds wrong. The second reason I know it was wrong is maybe a bit more interesting and why I'm posting this. I was flipping through songs in my car HD today and came across 'Smooth Up in Ya: The Best of the Bulletboys' from 2006 (I guess they couldn't call it Greatest Hits) and the run has gone - it's been removed.

So my queries are

a) How did Ted Templeman ever let this through during production?
    b) Is it wrong musically or am I talking shit (extra points for music theory stuff. )
    c) Where did the run go on the compilation? Did they rerecord it? Who rerecorded it?

Also I know the guy that wrote the recent TT biography posts here, did this album come up in the interviews it's only mentioned in passing?

I found it a little sad that out of all the albums to produce at this time when this kind of stuff was at it's peak he chose a decent but clearly a poor mans Van Halen knock off band to produce. It's not a criticism of them and I say that as someone who has always played in bands of varying degrees of that myself but hey he's Ted fucking Templeman.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2022 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I listened to the solo at 2:37; I didn't hear anything wrong with it. It was kinda cool, kinda catches your attention, so maybe that's why Templeman went with it. I don't think it's musically wrong. I haven't heard the edited song, but I'm surprised that solo section would get edited out and replaced. Unless a record company guy, the band, or the guitarist just doesn't like dissonance and felt compelled to "correct" it. For some people, chord progressions have to resolve, ballads must poco ritard at the end, and every note in a solo has to sound congruent with the key and chord. I dunno, it's their song.
    Last edited by Funkmonkey; 08-23-2020 at 11:32 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,392 Times in 6,052 Posts

This important thread finally getting some attention.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2022 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It languished out there for way too long.

Thread Information