X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Wilford Brimley Has Died

Wilford Brimley, 'Cocoon' actor who appeared in Quaker Oats commercials, dies at 85
    By Faith Karimi and Alta Spells, CNN

Updated 8:08 AM ET, Sun August 2, 2020
    Actor Wilford Brimley dies at age 85

Actor Wilford Brimley dies at age 85

(CNN) Wilford Brimley, the mustachioed actor who appeared on the big screen, television shows and Quaker Oats commercials, has died. He was 85.

Brimley died Saturday while hospitalized in St. George, Utah, his manager Lynda Bensky told CNN. He'd been at the ICU, where he was getting treatment for medical problems and was on dialysis.

"Wilford Brimley was a man you could trust. He said what he meant and he meant what he said," Bensky said. "He had a tough exterior and a tender heart. I'm sad that I will no longer get to hear my friend's wonderful stories. He was one of a kind."
    His movie credits date to the 1970s and include "Cocoon," "The Natural" and "The Thing." He also starred in several television shows, including NBC's "Our House" as a gruff widower who asks his daughter-in-law and her children to live with him.
    In addition to Quaker Oats, he also appeared in commercials for the American Diabetes Association, where he used his raspy baritone to urge people to check their blood sugar often.

Over the years, he earned a new legion of fans -- many born decades after his movie appearances -- drawn to memes paying tribute to his mustache.
    "RIP Wilford Brimley -- so many great performances, but I'll never forget seeing him sing this surprisingly tender 'It's Not Easy Being Green,'" comedian Stephen Colbert tweeted.

Brimley is survived by his wife, Beverly, and three sons.
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I forgot he was in The Thing:

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

He was only 50 when Cocoon came out but looked way older. Probably explains why I've heard "I thought he was already dead!" multiple times today.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Guess I'm slightly shocked that he was "only" 85, since he looked like he was in his 70s 30 years ago.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

For whatever reason(s), whenever I think of him, all I have in mind is him pronouncing the word 'diabetes' with that peculiar inflection of his.

I'll echo that I, too, was surprised a) he was still alive, and b) he was only in his 80s.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

diabeetus!
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Die-uh-beet-us.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Funkmonkey
                Head Fluffer
                • Jan 2004

Diabeetus Rap - Wilford Brimley Remix
                Here you guys go!Credits to: https://www.youtube.com/user/dorlis1?feature=watch

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The Brimley/Cocoon Line Calculator has been a thing for a while.

I believe Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt have crossed it, I haven't but I can see it from here...

Comment

• Funkmonkey
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jan 2004

I don't get the significance of the Brimley/Cocoon Line. Is that anything like jumping the shark?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's just a thing to make you feel old prematurely.

Comment

• Funkmonkey
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jan 2004

I was kinda hoping there was some sort of mysterious significance to 18,530 days to make it really cool.

Comment

Working...