Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,448 Posts

Unhappy Goodbye Ruth

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87
    David Knowles
    David Knowles·Editor
    Fri, September 18, 2020, 7:40 PM EDT

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg smiles during a reception at the University of Buffalo School of Law in Buffalo, New York, U.S., Aug. 26, 2019. (REUTERS/Lindsay DeDario)
    Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the liberal justice who was diagnosed with colon cancer in 1999, passed away Friday, the court announced in a statement.

Ginsburg, a liberal lion of the court, who was nominated by President Bill Clinton in 1993, was 87 years old.

Before her death, Ginsburg dictated a to her granddaughter Clara Spera. “My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new President is installed,” she wrote.

The decision to fill the vacancy now enters the hyperpartisan atmosphere of the 2020 race, with just weeks before the Nov. 3 election.

In February, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said that if a Supreme Court seat opened up this year, “we would fill it.”

In 2016, McConnell refused to bring up President Obama’s nominee, Merrick Garland, for a vote to fill the seat left vacant by the death of Justice Antonin Scalia, with the justification that “this nomination ought to be made by the president we're in the process of electing this year."

After his election to the presidency later that year, President Trump nominated Neil Gorsuch, another conservative, to fill the vacancy. Gorscuch’s nomination was confirmed by the Senate in April 2017.

In a speech in 2018 McConnell recounted that "One of my proudest moments was when I looked Barack Obama in the eye and I said, 'Mr. President, you will not fill the Supreme Court vacancy.'"

On Sept. 9, President Trump announced a number of new names to his long list of possible Supreme Court nominees, including Republican Sens. Ted Cruz of Texas and Tom Cotton of Arkansas.

While it remains to be seen whether Trump will try to fill Ginsburg’s seat before the end of the year, Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, told reporters that she would not confirm a new justice until after a new president is inaugurated next January.

Republicans still control the Senate with a slim 52 to 48 majority. But Ginsburg’s death will now become a dominant issue heading into the election, and is certain to mobilize liberal and conservative voters alike heading into November.

Throughout her career, Ginsburg was a leading advocate for gender equality and civil rights.

“Women’s rights are an essential part of the overall human rights agenda, trained on the equal dignity and ability to live in freedom all people should enjoy,” Ginsburg said.

After growing up in Brooklyn, Ginsburg attended Columbia Law School, graduating in 1959 at the top of her class. She went to take a job at Rutgers Law School in 1963, and received her first judicial appointment in 1980.

This is a developing story.

YAHOO LINK
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Well this goddamned miserable fucking year just keeps getting better all the time

MEMO to Yertle the Turtle: Don't even fucking think about it.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (09-18-2020)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,613 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    You don't think Nancy and Chuck would show up first thing Monday morning with a list of nominees?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nancy & Chuck aren't the ones who set the precedent by not allowing Fat Tony Scalia to be replaced when he died in February of an election year. Which is considerably further away from that election than we are from the one this year.

Bitch McTurtle wanted to send the Senate home for their usual "vacation" (READ: district fundraising time) this weekend. I think he should stick to that plan.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    You don't think Nancy and Chuck would show up first thing Monday morning with a list of nominees?
    Two of the biggest pigs in government history. FUCKING EMBARRASSING people vote for slim like this. Yet Trumps a douce ? Spare me man.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:10 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I hope McBitch does have a nominee, it will be the effective end of the Republican party as anything other an a perma-opposition one if they try to overturn Roe...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Miss Lindsay should be a "NO" vote on any new Justice.... because he demanded we hold him to his own words on the subject.....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I am guessing no way they try to push through a judge in this polarised climate where Trump is shitting the bed in most every box. But who knows with these felching bags of irrational fuck..

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Rapist for aisle 3?

She should have retired years ago. So weird this USA worship of the old.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I am guessing no way they try to push through a judge in this polarised climate where Trump is shitting the bed in most every box.
    I kind of love you still have that positive attitude at this point but please don't bet actual money on it...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think Joe Biden should be forced to nominate Antia Hill to the Supreme Court. Karmic payback for him AND Clarence Thomas.

Of course she's 64 years old, so she would be on the court for a much shorter term than most of them, but she's already better qualified than Opie Roberts or Rapey Brett.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I kind of love you still have that positive attitude at this point but please don't bet actual money on it...
    There are 44 days to the election, the only judge confirmed to the Supreme Court in less than that was Ginsberg herself in 42 days. There are many ways to gum the works but I do like those odds actually. And this is assuming Mitch actually believes what he is saying and he may just be putting on a show for the benefit of his base. We're also assuming all Republican's have the votes...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think Joe Biden should be forced to nominate Antia Hill to the Supreme Court. Karmic payback for him AND Clarence Thomas.

Of course she's 64 years old, so she would be on the court for a much shorter term than most of them, but she's already better qualified than Opie Roberts or Rapey Brett.
    OMFG Ford let it go, Thomas in an ineffectual empty vessel...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

There are 44 days to the election, the only judge confirmed to the Supreme Court in less than that was Ginsberg herself in 42 days. There are many ways to gum the works but I do like those odds actually. And this is assuming Mitch actually believes what he is saying and he may just be putting on a show for the benefit of his base. We're also assuming all Republican's have the votes...
    Even if Trump loses the election can his nominee not still be put in before he leaves next year?

At the moment there is a good chance the Republicans will keep the senate or near as dammit.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Well this goddamned miserable fucking year just keeps getting better all the time

Yeah, and we all have you whining Bernie Brats to thank for it.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

All the Republicans who thought a President shouldn't nominate with 10 months left in an election year in 2016 are twisting themselves up with hypocrisy to justify why this Orange piece of shit should get to pick a new judge 6 weeks away from an election that he seems likely to lose.

I made the mistake of watching George Snuffalupagus for a little bit this morning, and he had Ted "Government Shutdowns are FUN" Cruz on, and it was amazing (and sickening) to see him twist himself into a hysterical hypocrite pretzel....

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Yeah, and we all have you whining Bernie Brats to thank for it.
    To the contrary... if the primary had not been stolen, RBG would have been retired by now, and President Sanders would have already replaced her with somebody as good or better. Hillary probably would have nominated the Republican Merrick Garland again.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Nancy & Chuck aren't the ones who set the precedent by not allowing Fat Tony Scalia to be replaced when he died in February of an election year. Which is considerably further away from that election than we are from the one this year.

Bitch McTurtle wanted to send the Senate home for their usual "vacation" (READ: district fundraising time) this weekend. I think he should stick to that plan.
    February in an election year is significantly different than mid-Sept in an election year...

I don't think it's politically prudent to even attempt to push this appointment under any reasonable conditions or psychosis... If we're going to be even remotely realistic... no way Washington could get through the process by year end. Don't see it happening...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I made the mistake of watching George Snuffalupagus for a little bit this morning, and he had Ted "Government Shutdowns are FUN" Cruz on, and it was amazing (and sickening) to see him twist himself into a hysterical hypocrite pretzel....
    Come on this is Cruz...

23. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (09-20-2020)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

To the contrary... if the primary had not been stolen, RBG would have been retired by now, and President Sanders would have already replaced her with somebody as good or better. Hillary probably would have nominated the Republican Merrick Garland again.
    C'mon Ford, I admire her but she probably should have retired when Obama was in like in 2014 or 15'...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

C'mon Ford, I admire her but she probably should have retired when Obama was in like in 2014 or 15'...
    Sure you can make a case for that. I was responding to Kristy's ridiculous idea that Bernie and/or his supporters were somehow to blame. Actually I do think RBG took a gamble, but sadly the odds were not forever in her favor. There are rumors that she was actually planning a retirement in early 2016, but then Fat Tony died, and McTurtle cockblocked his replacement for nearly a year. After that, I can't blame her for not retiring.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2022 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I just want to point out that RBG's 'last dying wish', as AOC says, is irrelevant to the process for appointment and confirmation of a Supreme Court justice. I also want to point out that politicians routinely lie and could care less about hypocrisy. And every politician wants their guy in.

Shocker.

That is all.

27. Thanked Funkmonkey for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (09-22-2020)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2022 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

AOC is cute, though. But I can't listen to her speak; it dampens the fantasy.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Funkmonkey;1945392]AOC is cute, though. But I can't listen to her speak; it dampens the fantasy.[/QUOTE

A monkey slapping the monkey to CSPAN on mute.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Sure you can make a case for that. I was responding to Kristy's ridiculous idea that Bernie and/or his supporters were somehow to blame.
    Right there! Right there ladies and gentlemen is why slave FORD is a fucking asshole. You Bernie shits with your self-entitlement and bellyaching that if your free beer, pussy and pizza-loving old fool can't get in than what's the point showing up to the voting precincts. So thanks to you we have ol' F A T T Y. It's that simple. Now I know it's difficult for you Bernie shits to take any personal responsibility with your never worked a day in your miserable lives existence and a warped belief that you have a god damn right to everything.

Look at your shitty YouGoob post. Rich Millennial fucktards with their expensive microphones, identification lighting and shitty beards telling me what in the fuck to think when they're not at all worried about eviction, loss of employment or where their god damn next meal is coming from. You dumb motherfuckers love ol' F A T T Y. You cannot get enough of him when all you have to offer is derivative news delivered by shitfucked in the head Millennials who all drive BMW's to their podcast offices. You'll give ol' F A T T Y another 4 years to hate fuck America out of existence thinking you're immune from your actions as long as your dupe other shitheads into believing that your lame ass criticisms make any difference.

Get the fuck out of here.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Better change your dispensary, because whatever strain of weed your smoking lately ain't doing a goddamned thing for your temprament.

33. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (09-21-2020)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think I found "ELVIS"......

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Republicans being hypocrites is nothing new, of course.... but to do a complete 180 degree flip flop on everything about Cheeto the way Miss Lindsey has, that IS unusual. It's almost like Cheeto or Putin has something on him.... and it ain't just the fact that he's gay, because even the inbreds in South Carolina have figured out that much by now. I'm guessing it's more a problem of the Mark Foley variety, where he's been getting busy with teenage boys. And somebody's got a video of it. Possibly stored on the same hard drive as Cheeto's alleged "pee pee tape"

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If you had Lindsay Graham in a movie as a dodgy politician people would think his character was unrealistically too extremely bad.

40. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (09-22-2020),ZahZoo (09-22-2020)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Oh dear, oh dear. More useless and spotless horseshit posted by slave FORD and his pseudo-left hipster "news" media outlets.

4 more years of ol' F A T T Y is inevitable thanks to these fuckwits.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    All this whining and crying... Harry Reid sure left a legacy...

I think it's too early to say who prevails in this mess... well the logical choice is the mess with prevail. That is all...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Better change your dispensary, because whatever strain of weed your smoking lately ain't doing a goddamned thing for your temprament.
    Everybody knows you're a agent provocateur who takes Koch money and has been for years.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

FundaMENTAList wackjob says he prayed RBG to death!!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    All this whining and crying... Harry Reid sure left a legacy...

I think it's too early to say who prevails in this mess... well the logical choice is the mess with prevail. That is all...
    The country breaks up because we can't stand each other and nothing ever gets done because of it.

Thread Information