Thread: Local opinion piece: With all his bully and bluster, we’re still better off w/ Trump

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 02:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Local opinion piece: With all his bully and bluster, we’re still better off w/ Trump

From the ultra liberal Plain Dealer...longtime local newsman weighs in

By Ted Diadiun, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND -- In a sliver less than a month – or sooner, in the case of those who are using the mail, drop boxes or early in-person voting – Americans will fill out their ballots and elect a president.

As was the case four years ago, it will be a painful choice for many.

While watching Tuesday’s debate, I thought, not for the first time: Is this really the best we can do? Having to choose between a rude, undisciplined bully who turned what historically has been a generally respectful exchange of conflicting ideas into an embarrassing, combative spectacle, and an affable, aging career politician whose major accomplishment, to the relief of his supporters, was that he could put his thoughts together in a coherent way?

That’s where we are, unfortunately. And while each of the candidates has his fervent supporters, I’d wager that, for most of us, the ballots cast for president this year will be the most unenthusiastic of our lives. I know that will be the case for me – which, in the wake of the 2016 election, is saying something.

But the thing to remember about this election, and the saving grace for me, personally, is that our choice should not be simply the man we like best – or, as the case might more accurately be, the man we loathe least. It should not be about the debate performances of Donald Trump and Joe Biden, or which one we’d rather have living next door.

It should be about what each has done, or is expected to do.

What we decide Nov. 3 will, to an almost unprecedented extent, determine what kind of country we will live in for the foreseeable future. It would be a massive mistake for Americans to base their choice on anything other than that.

So take all the preceding out of the equation, and my choice, God help me, is easy: Donald Trump.

Even the news Friday that Trump tested positive for the COVID-19 virus doesn’t change that, because the record over the last four years under Trump and Vice President Mike Pence is clear:

Prior to the pandemic shutdown, the economy was in great shape, with the stock market booming as businesses responded to the lowering of the corporate tax rate and selective deregulation. Hiring expanded and salaries improved. And as we come out of the shutdown, the economy is recovering faster than most experts predicted.

The above, plus Trump’s income tax cuts, has resulted in a better financial picture for the citizenry, particularly in low-income and minority households. As The Wall Street Journal editorial board noted Wednesday, under the headline “The Wealth Gap Shrinks,” the ”Survey on Consumer Finances" over the last three years that was released Monday by the Federal Reserve showed dramatically reduced unemployment, increased wages and rising net worth for people historically in the lower financial strata -- particularly including Hispanics, Blacks, younger people and lower-educated Americans.

Biden has pledged to roll back the Trump tax cuts and has proposed a number of other tax increases.

On the international scene, Trump immediately withdrew from the ill-advised nuclear agreement with Iran, pursued and eliminated terrorist leaders in Iraq and Syria, brokered a peace agreement between Israel and the United Arab Emirates, formally recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, and took on China as a formidable economic cold war opponent with strength and fortitude.

If he is elected, Biden has pledged to seek to reinstitute terms of the original Iran nuclear deal.

Trump has endeavored to enforce our borders and resist illegal immigration, nominated federal judges and justices from the Supreme Court on down who will follow the Constitution rather than make their own laws, installed a Secretary of Education who has tried to defang the powerful teachers unions and make it easier for poor families to exercise school choice, and has stood firm against the lawless rioters who this summer have destroyed and burned businesses from Philadelphia to Portland. And he has done this under the unrelenting attacks from the country’s liberal media, a politicized impeachment, and against his opponents' predictable tactic of immediately finding a liberal federal judge to at least temporarily derail every executive order.

Biden has taken the opposite tack on all those issues.

After Tuesday’s debate, Trump’s enemies have been making a major issue of his regrettable refusal to repeat after them, “I condemn white supremacy.” I can’t explain or defend that stubborn reluctance, especially since he has said similar things in the past -- and since. But in real life, what policies of his have supported white supremacists or advanced their philosophy in any way?

Contrast that with Biden’s own refusal to say whether he would support some Democratic senators' vow to expand the Supreme Court in order to create a liberal majority, which has drawn not a peep of media dismay.

That unprincipled move is something we could expect from the combination of a Biden presidency and Democratic Senate, along with statehood for Democrat-heavy Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico, and a concerted effort to eliminate the Electoral College. Those three threats, if successful, would be catastrophic to the democracy and virtually ensure unbroken Democratic rule going forward.

In 2016, I allowed my loathing for Donald Trump the man and my distrust that he would do what he said he was going to do to influence me in voting against him.

I won’t make the same mistake again.

Trump’s bombast aside, the country is in far better shape today than it would have been if Hillary Clinton had been elected president. And, whether I like his style or not, it will be in far better shape four years from now under President Trump than it will be under President Biden and a Democrat-controlled Senate.

Ted Diadiun is a member of the editorial board of cleveland.com and The Plain Dealer.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 10-04-2020 at 07:12 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,402 Times in 6,057 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post

Biden has taken the opposite tack on all those issues.

After Tuesday’s debate, Trump’s enemies have been making a major issue of his regrettable refusal to repeat after them, “I condemn white supremacy.” I can’t explain or defend that stubborn reluctance, especially since he has said similar things in the past -- and since. But in real life, what policies of his have supported white supremacists or advanced their philosophy in any way?

Contrast that with Biden’s own refusal to say whether he would support some Democratic senators' vow to expand the Supreme Court in order to create a liberal majority, which has drawn not a peep of media dismay.

That unprincipled move is something we could expect from the combination of a Biden presidency and Democratic Senate, along with statehood for Democrat-heavy Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico, and a concerted effort to eliminate the Electoral College. Those three threats, if successful, would be catastrophic to the democracy and virtually ensure unbroken Democratic rule going forward.

This is such a fake balanced article from a total republican.

I don't know much about US economics but I think if you dig into that I'm not sure how much it stands up and remember the tax cuts were achieved by borrowing a bunch of money and chickens have to come home to roost eventually.

The stock market is not the only way to judge the economy far from it and also it dubious just how much influence the president actually has on it.

On the international front Trump has hugely weakened the US standing in the world, started a damaging trade war with China, damaged relations with all her traditional main allies and got into bed with dictators and murderous regimes. Breaking the well advised Iran deal is a bad idea leading to instability in the region and helping extremists. Despite the elimination of terrorist leaders it looks like the US may have to close the worlds most expensive ($1 billion) embassy in Iraq because it is becoming too dangerous.

In the courts you are getting lots of appointments of very religious authoritarian judges.

Contrast supporting racist groups with not ruling out a clear hypocrisy on the appointment of judges leading to an inbalance in the court most appointed by minority presidents?

Only his enemies make a issue out of it when it's regrettable, keeps happening and can't be explained?

He then spectacularly finishes by saying it would be catastrophic for democracy if the candidate who got the most votes was elected.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Also in this balanced piece not a lot of mention of Covid or Trump taxes.

As Tom Morello pointed out there are currently more confirmed cases of corona virus in the White House than in New Zealand, Taiwan & Vietnam COMBINED.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

The chumps tax plan only benefitted the rich.

A vast majority of large corporations took the windfall and used it for bonuses for upper management, stock buy-backs, and other shit, instead of hiring more workers or improving the lot in life for their slaves.

The reason the economy was "humming along" was because the chump inherited an increasingly strong economy from BARACK OBAMA, WHO SAVED THE UNITED STATES ECONOMY FROM TOTAL RUIN.

So? It is all just pie in the sky, and not worth mentioning. Why should he say anything about a situation that does not exist?
    The author is a chikken-little asshole who is frightened of his own shadow, making up new boogiemen so he can jack off over his fears.

That unprincipled move is something we could expect from the combination of a Biden presidency and Democratic Senate, along with statehood for Democrat-heavy Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico, and a concerted effort to eliminate the Electoral College.
    How the fuck is it so unprincipled that Biden should not discuss such idiocy?

It is actually quite principled. He is smart enough to understand such a discussion has zero relevance to anything, as it is just a "sky is falling" scenario with no basis in reality.

The author thinks that is "unprincipled", he is, in addition to having the intellect of a chicken, a moron who does not know what "unprincipled" really means, or how it could relate to Biden saying anything at all about any subject.

Those three threats, if successful, would be catastrophic to the democracy and virtually ensure unbroken Democratic rule going forward.
    No, it would drastically help the Democracy, as we would have a government more likely NOT run by old, rich, WHITE, CHRISTIAN, IGNORANT, SCIENCE-DENYING, REALITY-DENYING, ASSHOLE FUCKS.

It would be catastrophic to the RETHUGLICAN asshole motherfuckers.

Here is where it gets good.

The Rethuglicans have loved chump in office the way they loved Reagan. An ignorant, stupid fuck who knows nothing about government.

As long as you have one in office, the Rethuglicans can get away with anything, having a majority in the Senate.

Suddenly, chump gets the covid. Infects a bunch of his minions. Too bad he does not infuckt his own family.
    But he infects Bill Bar. THREE Rethuglican Senators.

They cannot afford to lose any Senators as they need to confirm this Supreme Court woman, but hey, chump spread Covid to her too. They just have not announced it yet.

The Rethuglicans are shitting bricks right now. Moscow Mitch is the captain of a sinking ship in Congress. Panic attacks are the norm now, as they see their Rethuglican votes fast disappearing before their very eyes, as the voters are finally understanding Der Fuehrer is not a god after all. Just a goddam cheeto in a suit, with less intelligence than a cornflake.

I ALMOST feel sorry for Rethuglicans right now, as they were sold a bill of goods by an ignorant con-artist, and he wound up making them the laughingstock of the world for electing such a moron.

As I said previously, Mitt Romney would have been better. I don't see him being a really effective president, but not nearly as bad as what we have.

An idiot elected by idiots.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 08:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Talking

I rather enjoy having what I read on my own translated into liberal hivemind speak.

Nah, not really. I can think for myself better than you guys can, but I appreciate the indoctrination effort!

My God....:smh

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Everyone is indoctrinated to a degree these days because of the way your news and social media feeds work, recognizing that is the first step.

Anyone that thinks either of these choices are great has to take a look into that but there are degrees of shit here...

Thread Information