ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

I forgot about Syracuse.

Go find Makings Of Rain if you don't have it.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    VV, so good to see such stellar comradeship in these here parts!

I'm holding up best I can. Last night, while making dinner (I HAVE NO SHAME IN SAYING THIS)...I started talking about what happened this week to my wife. She and I have lost a child, so we know pain. And I don't cry about every little thing. But I started talking about Ed dying, and then, next thing I knew, I realized tears were coming out of my eyes. She walked over and hugged me for like a minute. And I fucking cried. She stepped back and I said to her: "I loved this guy. He was a fucking hero. I met him once and he was so nice to me. Eddie Van Halen is fucking DEAD!!! How can this be?" And she hugged me again.

I cannot believe how much this has hit me.
    Yeah this one really hurts.

And its going to hurt for a while.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 2 users say thank you to Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-09-2020),Rikk (10-09-2020)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt White View Post
    If memory serves me right, which it might not...gonna be 53 in 4 months...I'm as old as Ed was on that 2007-08 tour :O
    Hasn't Dave mentioned an aborted attempt to make a VH movie around the time of Women and Children First?!?
    THAT'S the SHIT I wanna see! Break open the vault & show us ANY live footage of the Fantastic Foursome at their peak!
    Even that 8mm footage of the opening night '79 from FRESNO is beyond BAD ASS! I really hope Wolfie digs thru everything...and lets the younger generation see his Dad & Uncle AL when they were in all their live glory. I really want some footage on par with that ZEP DVD from the early 2000's. People need to be reminded just how powerful The Mighty Van Halen were "Once Upon a Time'.
    Yes, my very dear friend...not only Dave but band employees have completely confirmed that the band had a film crew following them for a few dates on the WACF tour and at least a few shows were filmed/recorded. I think there might be a pic or two out there confirming a show or two with film cameras visible on-stage. They filmed on-stage AND off-stage antics of this amazing band at an early peak, on the road in America and living the rock 'n' roll life in their mid-20s. If they somehow found this footage and proper multi-tracks, it would be the holy grail...possibly even more-so than the Oakland '81 footage. But who knows if it still exists? Ed built his studio in '83. But he was still a drunk...and he didn't have the best personal management. So who knows if he really put out the effort to dig up and locate all the old multi-tracks and footage that was already floating around before 5150 was built. He just never struck me as someone who had the prolific & organized nature Frank Zappa had with his vaults.

Fuck...this whole vault topic needs its own thread, methinks. I might get on that later.

5. 2 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (10-09-2020),Diamondjimi (10-10-2020)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yessir....GRATE pipes but that boy ain't right! LMAO Cherone was pretty good in Extreme...awful with VH. Just "another" singer in Dave's band...who couldn't hold a candle to DLR when it comes to lyrics.
    You and I have probably discussed this a million times in the past, sir...but who do you think was worse? Sam or Gary?

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    I forgot about Syracuse.

Go find Makings Of Rain if you don't have it.
    I definitely don't have that. I need to check that out...

Wait a minute...I MAY HAVE IT!! I have an unofficial box set of radio concerts, and one of them is a birthday show. I need to check the date on that. Haven't cracked it open yet.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Yeah this one really hurts.

And its going to hurt for a while.
    Yes. Yes, it is.

9. Thanked Rikk for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (10-09-2020)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

New Ted Templeman interview. Its a hard read at times.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...rview-1073080/
    Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 10-09-2020 at 05:05 PM.

11. 8 users say thank you to Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (10-09-2020),Diamondjimi (10-10-2020),High Life Man (10-11-2020),Matt White (10-09-2020),Seshmeister (10-09-2020),twonabomber (10-09-2020),Von Halen (10-09-2020),ZahZoo (10-10-2020)

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2022 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,468 Posts

13. 5 users say thank you to WARF for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-10-2020),Nickdfresh (10-09-2020),Rikk (10-09-2020),twonabomber (10-09-2020),VHscraps (10-17-2020)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Ironic that Ted Templeman didn't like "Jump" or Eddie's use of synthesizers, since he also produced the Doobie Brothers, and had no problem with what Michael McDonald did to them, which was pretty much the equivalent of Hagarization.

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-20-2020 @ 12:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

how about a reunion tour with mitch malloy on vocals.

i'm sad because VH was my first concert, and the last two i had tickets for were cancelled (DLR supposedly had a sore throat.

here's what i think i think: me wise and cant get this stuff were pretty great. BOBW was not. the first two extreme albums are pretty good and are so raunchy (counter to what most think about extreme). i like sammy and his songs, just not as much as dave and that's ok. and if others disagree that's ok too. eddie's a dick, i know it, and i'm willing to forgive. ADKT was mixed wrong and i wouldve removed one or two songs. they probably couldve just released Zero and called it a day, come out on top. mike is such a huge part of the sound. 3 is awful but there a couple of hooks. VH1 sounds like it's from the future. when tattoo came out and i heard those keys enter at 0:31 seconds, i got chills. diver down isnt as bad as ed thinks. dave may have ceded control for FW but all those early albums are in the same ballpark- monumental. AVH is the best drummer in rock.

*exception for drop dead legs

sorry, a random stream of consciousness.

PS: "we're back!!!" (who gets it)

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

You and I have probably discussed this a million times in the past, sir...but who do you think was worse? Sam or Gary?
    In all honesty...I have never listened to Van Halen III. I remember a weird video with ice. I was so pissed that they swerved everybody, including Dave, with that MTV debacle.
    But it would still be Hagar. Just rotten lyrics...lazy, predictable, Clichéd...and the fact that he thinks he's a peer of DLR...I recommend the Greg Renoff bio of Ted Templeman to everybody. He agrees that Spam has a great vice & is a lame lyricist. The part about Ted telling Spam & Ed Leffler that he'd produce 5150 ONLY if they changed the name of band to something other than "Van Halen".....priceless! And Leffler gets a pass from me...he managed one of my all time "other" fav bands...THE SWEET!
    Last edited by Matt White; 10-09-2020 at 07:04 PM.

17. Thanked Matt White for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-10-2020)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Ironic that Ted Templeman didn't like "Jump" or Eddie's use of synthesizers, since he also produced the Doobie Brothers, and had no problem with what Michael McDonald did to them, which was pretty much the equivalent of Hagarization.
    I think Templeman was also still around when Little Feat commercialized/cheesed-up their sound a fair amount in the later 70s...though I could be wrong.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    New Ted Templeman interview. Its a hard read at times.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...rview-1073080/
    Thanks DoubleV...that just teared me up al over again! Grate interview. Makes me happy to hear that both Ted & Don Landee were back in Ed's life. Makes me very hopeful he reconnected with Mike Anthony.

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Speaking if which can't you fucking mods finally take down that retarded "Time since last VH Studio release" and replace it with a remembrance banner of Eddie? It's sort of redundant to keep it going at this point.

Oh right, slave SESH is that retarded also.
    He fixed it for you...

21. 2 users say thank you to Igosplut for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (10-10-2020),ZahZoo (10-10-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Prior to his visit, Van Halen had warned Dolby that his bandmates, in particular his drummer brother Alex Van Halen, wasn't thrilled with the notion of Eddie working on other people's albums. During a chance meeting with Alex in the kitchen, Dolby decided to find out the truth for himself. "I hear you're not nuts about Eddie playing on my album?" He asked. "You got that right, bro," the drummer responded. "Last time we let him do that, he did a solo on that little fucker Michael Jackson's [Thriller] record. That was the only reason [Van Halen's subsequent album] 1984 got stuck at No. 2."

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddi...dolby-stories/
    That's probably true!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yessir....GRATE pipes but that boy ain't right! LMAO Cherone was pretty good in Extreme...awful with VH. Just "another" singer in Dave's band...who couldn't hold a candle to DLR when it comes to lyrics.
    I can't comment on VHIII because I haven't really listened to it yet but as a fan of Nuno Tenniscourt I know a lot more about Extreme. (I know it's incongruous but I shouldn't have to explain that here of all places).

Some of Cherone's lyrics are toe curling Hagar level.

In the words of Spinal Tap (which I'm disappointed went over Ed's head according to an earlier post) there is a fine line between stupid and clever.

Because Hot For Teacher worked doesn't mean this is good in any possible way.

It's getting late
    So, Mutha don't you hesitate
    To pack my lunch
    And I'll be on my way to school

Mutha, Don't wanna go to school today
    I think I'd rather go outside and play
    Or when he's lifting from Alice Cooper compare Elected with

First things first, we're gonna change the rules
    Better listen up, all you boys and girls
    Your prez says there'll be no after school
    So vote for me, now wouldn't that be cool?

(Yeah), yeah
    (Yeah), yeah

Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-09-2020 at 09:03 PM.

24. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-09-2020)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Don't go Sesh! Even though your vodka soaked insides would probably kill the Covid, I don't want you to take that chance!
    Shots every 15 minutes...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    This is not like Prince.

Prince had tons of stuff recorded but was also releasing a huge amount right up to his death.

As I have said before, the idea that Eddie had 10 albums of great material but chose to release Up for breakfast or instead use old demos for ADKOT is ridiculous.

Also in what crazy dark as fuck scenario do you have his family saying 'finally he is dead now we can release that stuff he didn't want released to increase our fortunes by 1%'?

It's all nonsense that we will be reading about for years now.
    That always kinda struck me as odd, too...the idea that Ed had all this recorded, unreleased stuff in the can, yet half of ADKOT ended up being re-recorded versions of 30 year old demos. Unless Roth just couldn't get a handle on the stuff Ed had in the can in terms of adding lyrics to it, and in terms of expediency redoing the Zero/Simmons demo stuff was the easiest route.

I'd be willing to wager there's plenty of home demo stuff Ed recorded...'noodling' as he once termed it...but how much of that is stuff one actually wants to hear...or how much of that stuff has any memorable riffs in terms of a ratio of memorable riffs to just Ed sort of 'noodling' around...like, how much of it was actually tracked out - complete with drums and bass - and just needed lyrics and vocals...

I'd tend to doubt the Van Halens would just throw that stuff out there for a cynical cash grab. At least, one would hope not. It'd be a shame to see that stuff given the treatment that, say, Jimi Hendrix's unreleased material got after he died, where some of it was good/interesting but more than a bit of it was clearly material Hendrix wouldn't have released in the state it ended up being released in, in terms of very rough demos/home recordings being put out there for purchase.

27. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

So this is love (10-09-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Igosplut View Post
    He fixed it for you...
    Actually Von did.

Hopefully he can reset that date soon as well so we don't have to listen to all that whining...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

RIP Eddie. A truly bad ass original. Your talents will shine on. Getting old sucks.

30. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

BottaGetta (10-09-2020)

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2023 @ 11:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    RIP EVH. You are an original, the gold standard and there will never be another.

I am still WRECKED.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Unless Roth just couldn't get a handle on the stuff Ed had in the can in terms of adding lyrics to it,
    By lyrics you mean a vocal melody and lyrics.

It would have to have been pretty out there - look what he did with "Ripley" making that into "Blood and Fire". Roth is a genius at converting music into a song, its maybe his key superpower!

33. 3 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-10-2020),Matt White (10-10-2020),Terry (02-15-2021)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

I’ve been listening to ADKOT this evening while doing my woman’s work cleaning the house (this is what was called a joke before everybody turned into PC sissies in 2020). Eight years later, I think it holds up really well. As Is sounds like it could have come off the DLR Band album. I dig it.

And whilst doing my chores - my daughter moved out two months ago so I don’t have anybody to help carry the load lol - I was thinking about the complex relationships those guys have all had with each other over the years. And even though Mikey hasn’t said he was in contact with Ed - yes, I know what Sammy said - after watching the video those two put out and reading Nuno’s interview...it makes me glad to know those guys reconnected. My best friend is my dog. My brother is a kid I met in seventh grade. And the first time I saw him walk into class I was sure I didn’t like him lol. 37 years later, we ain’t friends - we’re brothers. Luckily, we’ve never once had a serious argument. Oh, there have been threats of punching each other in the head and the like. But we have always respected each other and have never once been mad at the other for more than a few minutes. 37 years.

So I don’t care if everybody on social media, aka Facebox, wants to rip Sammy for saying how happy he was to rekindle his friendship with Edward. Blowhard that he is, Sam makes a good point. And I just wanted to say - love your friends. Check on those bastards lol! Talk shit to them! Argue and make fun of each other! Some of them may be people here you used to raise hell with or raise hell against. But you better cherish every moment. And you damn well better make the effort. Because the Grim Reaper is knocking on all our doors. I ain’t as old as ZZ or Von, but we ain’t got but so many days left. And that’s not a sad thing - I think it’s an opportunity to really live this life.

I picked a hell of a month to quit smoking...��

35. 2 users say thank you to DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (10-09-2020),ZahZoo (10-10-2020)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Long time no see Donnie, geez thats alot to read...

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    Long time no see Donnie, geez thats alot to read...
    Skip to the last sentence and then use your imagination for the rest. It helps lol

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Igosplut View Post
    He fixed it for you...
    I noticed that today. Almost spit my coffee at the screen.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    I’ve been listening to ADKOT this evening while doing my woman’s work cleaning the house (this is what was called a joke before everybody turned into PC sissies in 2020).

I dunno what bozo was representing us in the negotiations but he came out with a deal where the women's work is now split 50/50 but we still have 100% of the mens work...

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Getting old sucks.
    Nah... saying goodbye sucks, sometimes...

Living life at it's fullest and pausing to appreciate all that it's brought you it is where it's at. I'm pausing briefly here to appreciate the sound track to my life... the brother and sisterhood shared... then pushing play and continuing the journey... crank it up!! There's more livin and shenanigans ahead!!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Posted on Facebook...

Eric Johnson

There was a band in Austin Texas called Geneva and the gentleman. My friend Roscoe Beck played bass in this band. It was a nice jazz band that played around town quite frequently in the late 70s.
    One night, I had gone down to sit in with them at the Sheraton hotel in Austin. After playing a couple of tunes with them I walked off the stage and a young gentleman came up to me and said hello. He was very friendly and mentioned that he was staying at the hotel and had just played a show at the Palmer Auditorium in Austin. He was in a band that had just recorded their first record and they were on their first tour of the US. I wasn’t familiar with them at this early time in their career.
    We had a nice chat. His name was Eddie Van Halen and it was the first of two times that I met him. I never knew him well but I did visit with him one other time, years later after he had a number of records out and had become very successful.
    I had been invited back to meet the band after their performance in Austin in the early 1990s. I had a nice chat with Eddie and he was once again very cordial.
    Probably since Jimi Hendrix, Eddie was the principal guitarist that re-shaped and re-wrote rock guitar.
    He left a huge and indelible mark on the evolution and contribution of great guitar playing. It’s hard to think that he’s not here anymore because he has had such an impact on guitar music.
    God bless him and keep him. 🙏
    Eric
    Last edited by ZahZoo; 10-10-2020 at 10:01 AM.

42. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (10-10-2020),Matt White (10-10-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

You know how they say you go through different stages of emotions during the grieving process? Well, my devastation and sadness over this death, will never subside. But, now I feel some anger seeping in. There's the obvious anger of Ed not taking care of himself. But hey, he was a rock star. I'd probably have been just as bad, or worse. Only I wouldn't have smoked. But what I really find myself angry over, is the same thing I've been so angry with this band about, for years. The time wasting. Yes, it's great he made up with Mike and even Clichegar. Yes, it was great he wanted to put the original band back together for one last hurrah. But he wasted so much time, it ended up being too late. I always thought, but never wanted to believe, this is what would happen. It would be too late.

I was working on the dune buggy last night in the garage, and I put on the US Festival show. I know, from a performance perspective, it wasn't the greatest show ever. But it was Van fucking Halen tearing it up in front of 300,000 (according to Dave) people. It gave me goosebumps. It put me back at the shows I saw. I would have loved to have seen that one more time. I really hope that Wolf, Al, or whomever, will at the very least realize how much it would mean to fans like us here, to have a high quality version of any of those shows, to enjoy anytime we want, as much as we want.

After that was over, I was searching YouTube and I came across some garage band show from 1996 hosted by Paul Schaeffer. It had a bunch of different musicians playing at the same time. Doing cover songs. Ed was on lead guitar. I had never watched it before. It was awesome. Ed looked like he was having such a great time.

Man, I'm still having trouble believing he's gone....

44. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-10-2020),So this is love (10-10-2020)

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Listening to a lot of Sirius27...how long is this lasting? Alex's sound is so damn solid and iconic as well..

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    By lyrics you mean a vocal melody and lyrics.

It would have to have been pretty out there - look what he did with "Ripley" making that into "Blood and Fire". Roth is a genius at converting music into a song, its maybe his key superpower!
    To be sure, but who knows what the rest of the stuff on Ed's home recordings sounds like or consists of?

Are the home recordings chock full of song ideas along the lines of Ripley, stuff that is worked out and structured, or is it hours upon hours of Ed noodling...where one would have to sit and listen for ages to ferret out some errant cool riffs or (from Roth's perspective) workable song ideas that are buried among hours of Ed fiddling around and making elephant noises with his Trans-Trem Sustainer?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    You know how they say you go through different stages of emotions during the grieving process? Well, my devastation and sadness over this death, will never subside. But, now I feel some anger seeping in. There's the obvious anger of Ed not taking care of himself. But hey, he was a rock star. I'd probably have been just as bad, or worse. Only I wouldn't have smoked. But what I really find myself angry over, is the same thing I've been so angry with this band about, for years. The time wasting. Yes, it's great he made up with Mike and even Clichegar. Yes, it was great he wanted to put the original band back together for one last hurrah. But he wasted so much time, it ended up being too late. I always thought, but never wanted to believe, this is what would happen. It would be too late.

I was working on the dune buggy last night in the garage, and I put on the US Festival show. I know, from a performance perspective, it wasn't the greatest show ever. But it was Van fucking Halen tearing it up in front of 300,000 (according to Dave) people. It gave me goosebumps. It put me back at the shows I saw. I would have loved to have seen that one more time. I really hope that Wolf, Al, or whomever, will at the very least realize how much it would mean to fans like us here, to have a high quality version of any of those shows, to enjoy anytime we want, as much as we want.

After that was over, I was searching YouTube and I came across some garage band show from 1996 hosted by Paul Schaeffer. It had a bunch of different musicians playing at the same time. Doing cover songs. Ed was on lead guitar. I had never watched it before. It was awesome. Ed looked like he was having such a great time.

Man, I'm still having trouble believing he's gone....
    I've had similar feelings about the time wasting over the last two decades.

I sort of rationalized it along the lines of it being unrealistic for me to expect the band to churn up the output at the pace they had in the 6 pack era, or even the Hagar era where it was an album and tour every few years instead of every year. Mostly because the band were older, had all the success and there probably wasn't that sense of urgency to keep up the grind. Put Ed's health issues in the mix at it didn't seem as unreasonable that Van Halen wouldn't be hurling along at a breakneck pace.

My hope when Roth first rejoined in late 2006 is that we'd get some new material and some steady touring. We got a few tours, a studio album and a live album. By the time early 2019 rolled around and nothing had been leaked out in terms of the band booking any venues, even before Dave announced his then upcoming Vegas solo stint I figured the band was done. Once those pics of Ed visibly ailing surfaced a year or so ago, I sort of steeled myself to the thought that Van Halen probably wasn't going to perform again. Not that I had any foresight or particular insight, but by all appearances and indications Van Halen the band was over. And in a lot of ways the band for me had been over for a long time. Really, since 2000, in terms of my thinking there was ever gonna be a full restoration of the band to their heyday. By 2000, the members of CVH just weren't the same people they were 20 years prior, and the circumstances and conditions weren't the same anymore.

I was kind of perturbed myself when Roth rejoined in late 2006, in that it felt like 1996 had been even more of a blown opportunity than it was in terms of having CVH reunite with all the members participating and in condition in terms of ability. The years between 1996 and 2006 weren't good ones for Ed. I was also a bit pissed off when 2019 rolled around and the realization hit that those three tours with Dave and the ADKOT album (and the Tokyo Dome release) was all we were gonna get for ten years of Dave working with the band.

But...

I'm not angry with Ed in terms of the smoking or how he took (or didn't take) care of himself. Not anything along the lines of "he smoked, so fuck him, he got what he deserved" either. Assumedly, he lived his life the way he wanted to. Despite his health issues, on the whole I'd imagine Ed had a better life than most. Any sadness I feel over his death is overshadowed by relief that he isn't hurting anymore.

I'm not angry with all the time the band wasted over the last twenty years, either. Not anymore. All of that is overshadowed by the music they left behind, and particularly the stuff from 1978 to 1984. I'm more happy than sad, if that makes any sense. Happy that Ed, Al, Mike and Dave created all that fantastic material that continues to resonate. However the band ended up post-1985, what they achieved prior to that transcends the largely mundane output of the Hagar years, the misfires of the Cherone period and the sporadic post-2000 output.

I'm happy for what we got, because listening to it still brings me as much pleasure as it ever did. Would more have been good? Sure. Didn't happen, but ADKOT was a decent coda, and there were points on those three 2000's Roth tours where the band conjured up the old magic. With Van Halen...Van Fucking Halen with Diamond Dave at the helm...it's all positive. Ed's passing shouldn't change that.

48. 3 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (10-10-2020),Matt White (10-10-2020),So this is love (10-10-2020)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Eddie's "10 years worth of material" probably consists of raw riffs which might have turned into songs, given the proper process, but now that's not going to happen, for obvious reasons. The VDIII album was evidence that Ed needed a partner who did more than just write lyrics, he needed to help Eddie shape the riffs into an actual song structure. Cherone couldn't or wouldn't do this, at least not on that record. I don't know enough about Extreme to know what the songwriting process was between him & Nuno, so I can't speculate as to whether or not the songs on that second aborted Van Danniels record would have had a more coherent structure.

DLR was able to turn Eddie's riffs into masterpieces. Hagar was able to turn them into.... well, at least they were properly constructed songs, even if many of them were drowned in Velveeta.

So while Eddie's "10 years of riffs" might be interesting to listen to, as a fan, should they ever leak out, I doubt very much that they're in any sort of actual song structures. And therefore, it's nothing like the huge backlog of complete or nearly completed material that Hendrix or Prince had stashed away. Which actually sucks, because it wouldn't have been a bad thing to have "new" Van Halen records released up to 2060 - assuming any human life still exists on Earth by then.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think Eddie wanted these tapes or whatever he did in his studio to be out, otherwise he would have released them, ADKOT. Probably not worth releasing imo... I am still surprised they released that live shit sounding show in Japan.

I was listening to Sirius EVH tribute all week and its' incredible how many songs I didn't know from the Hagar era and other LL Cool J. I mean the guitar work is amazing on some of these pieces, I am discovering many songs for the first time, I never thought existed due to my lack of interest to the Van Hagar era. I am not sure what the song is called, I think (but not sure) its don't tell me what love can do and the first phrasing of Eddies solo is identical to Ozzys' Crazy train or I don't know solo. Anyway, I am still shaken by is death, even though I never personally knew the guy, but VH music has always been a part of the highs and lows of my life, since 1980...RIP EVH .........I am currently watching the Cafe Wha!
    Last edited by So this is love; 10-10-2020 at 05:32 PM.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Last edited by WARF; 10-10-2020 at 05:45 PM.

52. Thanked WARF for this KICKASS post:

So this is love (10-10-2020)

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Yes, my very dear friend...not only Dave but band employees have completely confirmed that the band had a film crew following them for a few dates on the WACF tour and at least a few shows were filmed/recorded. I think there might be a pic or two out there confirming a show or two with film cameras visible on-stage. They filmed on-stage AND off-stage antics of this amazing band at an early peak, on the road in America and living the rock 'n' roll life in their mid-20s. If they somehow found this footage and proper multi-tracks, it would be the holy grail...possibly even more-so than the Oakland '81 footage. But who knows if it still exists? .
    I distinctly remember seeing a camera man onstage and circling the band members shooting footage at Maple Leaf Gardens (Toronto) on the W.A.C.F.
    tour. How much exists is anyone's bet..
    I remember how much heat Wolfie took joining the band. But as time and details surfaced about him, he actually turned out to be a blessing in many ways.
    He convinced Ed & Al to do the right thing and get Dave back. Plus he was responsible for the set lists and digging out the rarely played classics...
    Wolf definitely has the advantage of a fans perspective. I'm sure there will be some great stuff come out. Just hope uncle Al doesn't kibosh anything and give him full reign..
    Last edited by Diamondjimi; 10-10-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Kudos to the new countdown clock....lol so funny

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

My bands EVH hot for teacher tribute....

btw... happy birthday to David Lee Roth turned 66...
    Last edited by WARF; 10-10-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    A not so flattering article on Ed's excesses and life...

https://pagesix.com/article/eddie-va...599.1596457979

57. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (10-11-2020)

Thread Information