X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Ozzy Osbourne pays tribute to Eddie Van Halen: “Everybody else was trying to be Eddie Van Halen, but there is only one Eddie Van Halen”

Osbourne said that he "could sit and watch Eddie Van Halen play guitar all day"

By
    Sam Moore
    7th October 2020

Ozzy Osbourne has paid a moving tribute to the late Eddie Van Halen following the news of his death yesterday (October 6).

Van Halen passed away yesterday morning following a lengthy battle with cancer. He was 65.

Among the many musicians to pay tribute to the guitar legend since the news of his passing was announced was Osbourne, who told Rolling Stone about his memories of touring with Van Halen and his great admiration for the late musician’s style of guitar playing.

“The last time I spent any serious time with Eddie was on the last official Black Sabbath tour I did in ’79, when they opened up for us,” Osbourne remembered. “They were such good guys to be around. We had such fun. Every time I ever saw Eddie Van Halen, it was fun.

“I remember seeing Eddie do that finger-tapping thing, and that was the first time I’d ever seen anyone do that. Just when you think nobody can make guitar playing exciting, somebody like that comes out. He was one of them.

“That thing with finger-tapping in the 80s, with the hair bands, everybody was doing that finger tapping. Once you’ve seen the master do it, everyone else comes second. Anybody after Eddie Van Halen was in second, as far as I’m concerned.”

Osbourne added that the “one thing I loved about Eddie was he always had a big grin on his face, and he looked like he was enjoying every second he was up there.”

“Whether it was showbiz bullshit or not — I don’t think it was — he always looked like he was having the best time of his life up there.”

Remembering the late guitarist as “a force to be reckoned with”, he recalled one show they played with Van Halen (the band) in San Antonio where “they went on and blew the roof off. And we had to follow them. I mean, it was such a hard gig for us. To follow Van Halen, you’d go, ‘Oh, fuck. No.’ And after that tour, they took off.”

Osbourne said that he “could sit and watch Eddie Van Halen play guitar all day. He’s so entertaining as a guitar player. He made it look like it was not difficult. He made it look like it was a natural thing. Everybody else was trying to be Eddie Van Halen, but there is only one Eddie Van Halen. I thought he was brilliant. God only knows, what you have to do to get that good.”

Revealing that he “was in shock” at hearing the news of Van Halen’s passing, Osbourne said: “I knew he was battling an illness. I have the same doctor as him. I used to pass messages through her to him, and she would never tell me the condition he was in or whatever. She would say, ‘What do you want to say?’ And I would say, ‘I send my regards.’ So it really was a shock, because he was a good guy. He really was a good man.

“It’s always a sad day when somebody like that dies. It’s like when Michael Jackson died. I didn’t believe it at first. It’s such a fucking loss.”

Comment

• SuchGoodPhotog
      Roth Army Recruit
      • Jun 2020

last show in 2015 at the hollywood bowl: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddi...halen-concert/

The singer then walked over to the guitarist and they put their arms around each other. After they said some off-mic words to each other, Roth continued: "The best years of my life; the high points of all my life – onstage with you, homeboy. I will always do the half-Jesus towards you, Eddie Van Halen."
      video: https://youtu.be/J1xVtkKPLws?t=374
      "Look, i'll pay you for it"

Comment

• WARF
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

As sad as I am today, I had a vision of Eddie on his death bed and Sammy calling to say goodbye....

And Ed hung up on him, and it brought a smile to my face...

Comment

• TJMKID
          Veteran
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jetstream
          Ed smoked, drank and did drugs. Did those ultimately kill him, probably but without them we probably would not have his music either. Ed probably did not need them like Hagar often cited to open up his own limited imagination, but Ed probably used them to isolate himself so he could think about the music and not all the crap in this world which he seems to have worried about. The guy had stage fright and would often have to drink a six pack early on just to get on stage. He lived a troubled life to use his talent but he left us with something amazing... rest in peace Edward Van Halen, thank you for the music
          I still remember reading that article in Rolling Stone about how Ed remembers the very day he started drinking and smoking. He said a German Shepherd roaming the neighborhood bit him when he was 11 or 12 years old and his father told him to swig some whiskey to kill the pain and have a smoke. Sounds funny and may or may not be true, but it seems like with Jan Van Halen being a raging alcoholic and chain-smoker that Eddie and Alex were doomed to follow in his footsteps. The weird part is that I don't know of any rock stars who died of alcoholic liver cirrhosis but many of them have died of lung cancer or heart attacks. So the alcohol abuse causes them a lot of lifestyle and relationship problems, but it's the ciggies that usually end up killing them prematurely.

Comment

• TJMKID
            Veteran
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by WARF
            As sad as I am today, I had a vision of Eddie on his death bed and Sammy calling to say goodbye....

And Ed hung up on him, and it brought a smile to my face...
            I can picture Eddie whispering his final words --- "Fuck off, Poodlehead ... Dave is my broh"

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Just looking around the internet and there is a guy in Japan playing Van Halen covers really well live to a 10 000+ people.

He's been going for 90 minutes so far...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yuck 1 hour 40 and he's now playing Dreams...

Comment

• PHOENIX
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2004

Hey Sheesh,

I spent so much time on this site back in the early days.
                  We were all hoping for a reunion, new music, so many things.
                  We put up with a million rumors and so on.
                  One thing for sure now is VH will never play ever again. It's over.
                  It's hard to accept that it's now all in the past.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The band will never perform again... the music plays on...
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Lqskdiver
                      Sniper
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by PHOENIX
                      Hey Sheesh,

I spent so much time on this site back in the early days.
                      We were all hoping for a reunion, new music, so many things.
                      We put up with a million rumors and so on.
                      One thing for sure now is VH will never play ever again. It's over.
                      It's hard to accept that it's now all in the past.
                      Waiting for the rumors to start again.

Maybe Neal Schon can fill in...

But I'd say a tribute is in order.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Nov 2004

Even Froggie radios are paying tribute to Eddie... Fuck, why wait for somebody's death to recognize their value?
                        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• Funkmonkey
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                            Even Froggie radios are paying tribute to Eddie... Fuck, why wait for somebody's death to recognize their value?
                            Human nature; people tend not to think about things until they are gone.

Comment

• WARF
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              Just looking around the internet and there is a guy in Japan playing Van Halen covers really well live to a 10 000+ people.

He's been going for 90 minutes so far...

I think they shut him down after “Love Walks In”...

Comment

• Von Halen
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Well...where to begin?

First and foremost, yesterday wasn't the worst day of my life, but it ranks right up there. The death of my Grandparents was worse. The death of my wife was worse. Other than that, this was the worst. Sorry I haven't been around much, but the last few years have provided me with some trials and tribulations that I'm just now overcoming.

July 19, 1979. Century II Convention Center in Wichita, KS. We waited outside the doors all day in sweltering Kansas heat, because we wanted to be front row. It was worth the wait, and literally changed my life as far as bands and music goes. Ever since that show, I have been a Van Halen fanatic. My family has called me obsessed. I have worn that label proud since that hot summer day in July of 1979. My high school classmates dubbed me "Von Halen" as my first name is Vaughn, not because of my ability to play the guitar. Quite the opposite! I was just that infatuated with this band, and I made sure everyone knew it. I was a Van Halen promotional machine in a little Kansas town. My Son's first and middle name would have been Von and Halen, but my wife said no. I recently had my pole barn repainted, and I wanted to red, black and white stripe it. My girlfriend said no, and the price would have been outrageous anyway. My deck railing in the middle at the front of my house has a big empty spot. I want to put the flying VH in there. I'm being told no on that too, but I'm not taking no for an answer on that one. I will put a great big flying VH in there. I still have the VH Buggy. Ed told me he would sign it if I brought it to him. Unfortunately, when he was here, the weather didn't cooperate. Thanks to Twonabomber, I do have a picture of me showing a picture of it to Ed on a sidewalk in London, Ontario. Man, I am so out of it right now, I just can't even think straight.

Anyway, like most people posting in this thread, I am devastated. This is a big piece of my life that is gone.

Oh, and last but not least. Kristy, I still want to fuck you!

Comment

Working...