X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Part of a review of their latest album, is Kristy moonlighting?

The music? The music is an ugly Frankenstein’s monster constructed from all the least likeable, least groovy bits of rock, funk, psychedelia and hip hop, with an added patina of plain stupidity. Singer Anthony Kiedis radiates the kind of braggadocious bro vibes that, aurally speaking, make me want to cross the road for my own safety. Kiedis writes terrible lyrics, flatlining melodies and has a horrible shouty voice. It goes without saying that he possesses the kind of swaggering confidence inversely proportional to all these impediments. Do the sums and you could reasonably claim that Red Hot Chili Peppers have waged a 40-year campaign of brute bone-headed idiocy upon the world and yet somehow emerged triumphant.
    Produced by long-term enabler Rick Rubin, this is the band’s first album since 2016, and their first with guitarist John Frusciante for almost 20 years.

Per the title, Red Hot Chili Peppers are blessing us with 17 new songs – almost 75 minutes of music. This is, by some degree, too much love. The worst and sadly most prevalent kind of Red Hot Chili Peppers song is a doggedly unmelodic, squelchy faux-funk thing garnished with a half-rapped torrent of vaguely unseemly doggerel. There are several examples of this form on Unlimited Love – ‘She’s a Lover’; ‘Whatchu Thinkin’; ‘One Way Traffic’; ‘Let ’Em Cry’ – but we shall let ‘Poster Child’ speak for all of them. Imagine Billy Joel’s ‘We Didn’t Start the Fire’ if Joel had been more interested in the Thompson Twins and Caddyshack than Belgians in the Congo. It’s very bad indeed.

Other diversions are simply bizarre. On the plodding, phased folk-rock pastiche ‘Black Summer’, Kiedis’s absurd vocal appears to be a misguided tribute to a West Country pirate. It’s a song with an acute identity crisis: it thinks it is ‘Stairway to Heaven’, which is bad enough, when it is actually Spinal Tap fronted by Edward Teach.

Mercifully, Red Hot Chili Peppers have a secret weapon. Bass player Flea is a world-class musician who over the years has negotiated a series of day-release deals in order to play with grown-ups such as Thom Yorke. His contributions dominate the best songs here. The slippery groove of ‘It’s Only Natural’ is genuinely terrific. The pretty ‘The Great Apes’ reminds me of early REM, off-time and slightly odd. ‘Aquatic Mouth Dance’ is a rhythmically interesting blend of lounge funk and blaring soul, marred only by Kiedis’s contribution, which can be likened to a toddler scrawling on the walls.
    Squaring up to the prospect of a new Red Hot Chili Peppers album, I’m reminded of a vintage quote by Nick Cave: ‘I’m forever near a stereo saying, “What… is this garbage?” And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.’ I can empathise. I don’t habitually harbour animus against artists I dislike, but
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-23-2022, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• GreenBayLA
      Sniper
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      [Verse 1]

[Chorus]
      Please don't remember me, for what I did last night, oh
      Please don't remember me
      What'd I say Lord?
      Please don't remember me, it's only 1980
      It's only 1983
      Please don't remember me, for what I did with David
      You know I'm talkin' David Lee
      Am I ready?
      Please don't remember me, for what I did last night, oh
      I guess I played a Flying V

Is it just me or are those lyrics dumb?
      True that, where is the "tribute"? Sounds like a diss of DLR and or what EVH did "last night" WTF?
      I remember Flea and maybe Anthony and/or Chad praising Van Halen II. But then Chad was in Spammy's band Chickenshit or whatever. Decent guitar solo tho'
      "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        Is it just me or are those lyrics dumb?
        I've been a fan of the Chili Peppers since the 80s, but yeah.. that's some Hagar level weak shit there. Hope this doesn't mean Kiedis is back on the smack
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Fairwrning
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Ed's first interview??

I have not heard this before or have the magazine.....Cool that he was really unknown at this point..

Comment

• Fairwrning
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Comment

• Fairwrning
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I don't give a fuck. No one gives a fuck and if you give a single fuck then fuck off. All lies.

Bored middle-aged white man and their YouTube channels

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Got bored a few minutes into that when it became clear I wasn't going to learn anything new.

I've seen at least a couple of Page live videos from back in the day where he was playing pretty poorly and there are obviously some with Ed too as his career went on and it's probably for the same reasons that they were fucked up on booze and drugs.

Either that or Page was distracted by seeing an underage young girl in the crowd...

Comment

Working...