• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I forgot about Syracuse.

Go find Makings Of Rain if you don't have it.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
      VV, so good to see such stellar comradeship in these here parts!

I'm holding up best I can. Last night, while making dinner (I HAVE NO SHAME IN SAYING THIS)...I started talking about what happened this week to my wife. She and I have lost a child, so we know pain. And I don't cry about every little thing. But I started talking about Ed dying, and then, next thing I knew, I realized tears were coming out of my eyes. She walked over and hugged me for like a minute. And I fucking cried. She stepped back and I said to her: "I loved this guy. He was a fucking hero. I met him once and he was so nice to me. Eddie Van Halen is fucking DEAD!!! How can this be?" And she hugged me again.

I cannot believe how much this has hit me.
      Yeah this one really hurts.

And its going to hurt for a while.
      =V V=
      ole No.1 The finest
      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Rikk
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
        If memory serves me right, which it might not...gonna be 53 in 4 months...I'm as old as Ed was on that 2007-08 tour :O
        Hasn't Dave mentioned an aborted attempt to make a VH movie around the time of Women and Children First?!?
        THAT'S the SHIT I wanna see! Break open the vault & show us ANY live footage of the Fantastic Foursome at their peak!
        Even that 8mm footage of the opening night '79 from FRESNO is beyond BAD ASS! I really hope Wolfie digs thru everything...and lets the younger generation see his Dad & Uncle AL when they were in all their live glory. I really want some footage on par with that ZEP DVD from the early 2000's. People need to be reminded just how powerful The Mighty Van Halen were "Once Upon a Time'.
        Yes, my very dear friend...not only Dave but band employees have completely confirmed that the band had a film crew following them for a few dates on the WACF tour and at least a few shows were filmed/recorded. I think there might be a pic or two out there confirming a show or two with film cameras visible on-stage. They filmed on-stage AND off-stage antics of this amazing band at an early peak, on the road in America and living the rock 'n' roll life in their mid-20s. If they somehow found this footage and proper multi-tracks, it would be the holy grail...possibly even more-so than the Oakland '81 footage. But who knows if it still exists? Ed built his studio in '83. But he was still a drunk...and he didn't have the best personal management. So who knows if he really put out the effort to dig up and locate all the old multi-tracks and footage that was already floating around before 5150 was built. He just never struck me as someone who had the prolific & organized nature Frank Zappa had with his vaults.

Fuck...this whole vault topic needs its own thread, methinks. I might get on that later.
        Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
          Yessir....GRATE pipes but that boy ain't right! LMAO Cherone was pretty good in Extreme...awful with VH. Just "another" singer in Dave's band...who couldn't hold a candle to DLR when it comes to lyrics.
          You and I have probably discussed this a million times in the past, sir...but who do you think was worse? Sam or Gary?
          Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
            I forgot about Syracuse.

Go find Makings Of Rain if you don't have it.
            I definitely don't have that. I need to check that out...

Wait a minute...I MAY HAVE IT!! I have an unofficial box set of radio concerts, and one of them is a birthday show. I need to check the date on that. Haven't cracked it open yet.
            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Rikk
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
              Yeah this one really hurts.

And its going to hurt for a while.
              Yes. Yes, it is.
              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

New Ted Templeman interview. Its a hard read at times.

Van Halen producer Ted Templeman pays tribute to Eddie Van Halen. "He was the last guy to think he was some kind of guitar god," he says.
                Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 10-09-2020, 05:05 PM.
                =V V=
                ole No.1 The finest
                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• WARF
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Ironic that Ted Templeman didn't like "Jump" or Eddie's use of synthesizers, since he also produced the Doobie Brothers, and had no problem with what Michael McDonald did to them, which was pretty much the equivalent of Hagarization.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• SuchGoodPhotog
                      Roth Army Recruit
                      • Jun 2020

how about a reunion tour with mitch malloy on vocals.

i'm sad because VH was my first concert, and the last two i had tickets for were cancelled (DLR supposedly had a sore throat.

here's what i think i think: me wise and cant get this stuff were pretty great. BOBW was not. the first two extreme albums are pretty good and are so raunchy (counter to what most think about extreme). i like sammy and his songs, just not as much as dave and that's ok. and if others disagree that's ok too. eddie's a dick, i know it, and i'm willing to forgive. ADKT was mixed wrong and i wouldve removed one or two songs. they probably couldve just released Zero and called it a day, come out on top. mike is such a huge part of the sound. 3 is awful but there a couple of hooks. VH1 sounds like it's from the future. when tattoo came out and i heard those keys enter at 0:31 seconds, i got chills. diver down isnt as bad as ed thinks. dave may have ceded control for FW but all those early albums are in the same ballpark- monumental. AVH is the best drummer in rock.

*exception for drop dead legs

sorry, a random stream of consciousness.

PS: "we're back!!!" (who gets it)
                      "Look, i'll pay you for it"

Comment

• Matt White
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                        You and I have probably discussed this a million times in the past, sir...but who do you think was worse? Sam or Gary?
                        In all honesty...I have never listened to Van Halen III. I remember a weird video with ice. I was so pissed that they swerved everybody, including Dave, with that MTV debacle.
                        But it would still be Hagar. Just rotten lyrics...lazy, predictable, Clichéd...and the fact that he thinks he's a peer of DLR...I recommend the Greg Renoff bio of Ted Templeman to everybody. He agrees that Spam has a great vice & is a lame lyricist. The part about Ted telling Spam & Ed Leffler that he'd produce 5150 ONLY if they changed the name of band to something other than "Van Halen".....priceless! And Leffler gets a pass from me...he managed one of my all time "other" fav bands...THE SWEET!
                        Last edited by Matt White; 10-09-2020, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• Rikk
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          Ironic that Ted Templeman didn't like "Jump" or Eddie's use of synthesizers, since he also produced the Doobie Brothers, and had no problem with what Michael McDonald did to them, which was pretty much the equivalent of Hagarization.
                          I think Templeman was also still around when Little Feat commercialized/cheesed-up their sound a fair amount in the later 70s...though I could be wrong.
                          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                            New Ted Templeman interview. Its a hard read at times.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...rview-1073080/
                            Thanks DoubleV...that just teared me up al over again! Grate interview. Makes me happy to hear that both Ted & Don Landee were back in Ed's life. Makes me very hopeful he reconnected with Mike Anthony.

Comment

• Igosplut
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                              Speaking if which can't you fucking mods finally take down that retarded "Time since last VH Studio release" and replace it with a remembrance banner of Eddie? It's sort of redundant to keep it going at this point.

Oh right, slave SESH is that retarded also.
                              He fixed it for you...
                              Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by twonabomber
                                Prior to his visit, Van Halen had warned Dolby that his bandmates, in particular his drummer brother Alex Van Halen, wasn't thrilled with the notion of Eddie working on other people's albums. During a chance meeting with Alex in the kitchen, Dolby decided to find out the truth for himself. "I hear you're not nuts about Eddie playing on my album?" He asked. "You got that right, bro," the drummer responded. "Last time we let him do that, he did a solo on that little fucker Michael Jackson's [Thriller] record. That was the only reason [Van Halen's subsequent album] 1984 got stuck at No. 2."

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddi...dolby-stories/
                                That's probably true!

Comment

Working...