ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

This is not like Prince.

Prince had tons of stuff recorded but was also releasing a huge amount right up to his death.

As I have said before, the idea that Eddie had 10 albums of great material but chose to release Up for breakfast or instead use old demos for ADKOT is ridiculous.

Also in what crazy dark as fuck scenario do you have his family saying 'finally he is dead now we can release that stuff he didn't want released to increase our fortunes by 1%'?

It's all nonsense that we will be reading about for years now.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 3 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-10-2020),Jetstream (10-09-2020),TJMKID (10-09-2020)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

The Prince Estate got a lil' taste of money and went OFF. The nowhere near finished book that got released proved it.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I didn't see this a few years ago...funny

5 Crazy Stories from Eddie Van Halen’s Weekend With Thomas Dolby

A stone statue, the film This is Spinal Tap and the ozone layer all took a beating when Thomas Dolby spent a weekend at Eddie Van Halen's home, as the pop star explains in his new book.

You may know only know Dolby from his 1982 pop smash "She Blinded Me With Science," but as The Speed of Sound: Breaking the Barriers Between Music and Technology makes clear, he's led a remarkably diverse and successful career as a composer, performer, producer and technology pioneer. He's also collaborated with a dizzying array of musicians, including the Grateful Dead, David Bowie, George Clinton and Def Leppard.

The story of his collaboration with Van Halen's resident guitar genius begins innocently enough, with Eddie being asked to contribute to two songs ("Eastern Bloc" and "Close But No Cigar") on Dolby's 1992 album Astronauts & Heretics. Van Halen explained that his group was in the middle of recording their 1991 effort For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, but invited Dolby up to his home recording studio to squeeze in a couple days of work. Dolby says he soon realized, though, that "every hour of [Van Halen's] day was like a scene from Spinal Tap." Here's five of the best examples:

First Rule: No 'Spinal Tap' Jokes

When Dolby tried to break the ice by quoting a famous This is Spinal Tap line about sustain to Van Halen, he was met with a blank stare. When he asked if the guitarist had ever seen the famous rock music mockumentary, Eddie replied, "Yeah, dude, we saw that piece of shit." He then went on to explain, "We didn't think it was funny. It was like, someone followed us around with a camera, put it up on a screen, and everybody fell over laughing."

Andy Johns Vs. The Statue

Legendary producer and engineer Andy Johns (Exile on Main Street, Physical Graffiti and many, many more) was working with in the studio with Van Halen when Dolby visited. Apparently having overindulged a bit, Johns excused himself from the session early. Soon after he left, there was a "deafening crash." Dolby and his host ran outside, to see that Johns had reversed his large mauve Cadillac convertible into a stone statue. "He's knocked an arm off one of the statues," Van Halen complained, adding that his then-wife, actress Valerie Bertinelli, "[is] gonna kill me."

No Privacy

Dolby was surprised to learn that even in his secluded home property, rock's most famous guitarist was under surveillance. As the pair took the short drive from Eddie's 5150 home studio to his house in a custom-painted golf cart, Dolby "suddenly heard the honking of horns and shrill distant cries of 'EDDIE! EDDIE! YEAH!!' High up above his property a group of fans had parked their trucks and hot rods on a scenic overlook... and they were screaming and flashing their headlights, amazed to get an actual sighting of their favorite guitar god."

Eddie Vs. The Environment

Apparently, the importance of energy conservation hadn't hit home with Eddie just yet. Dolby says as soon as they arrived home from the studio, Van Halen plopped down in an oversized armchair and hit the remote control to turn on the massive gas fireplace "with a loud whooooomf!" This prompted a swift rebuke from Bertinelli: "Eddie! It's ninety degrees out!" "Crank up the AC then, would you babe?" Eddie replied, "I'm beat."

Alex Van Halen Vs. Outside Interests

Prior to his visit, Van Halen had warned Dolby that his bandmates, in particular his drummer brother Alex Van Halen, wasn't thrilled with the notion of Eddie working on other people's albums. During a chance meeting with Alex in the kitchen, Dolby decided to find out the truth for himself. "I hear you're not nuts about Eddie playing on my album?" He asked. "You got that right, bro," the drummer responded. "Last time we let him do that, he did a solo on that little fucker Michael Jackson's [Thriller] record. That was the only reason [Van Halen's subsequent album] 1984 got stuck at No. 2."

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddi...dolby-stories/

5. 4 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-08-2020),Rikk (10-09-2020),TJMKID (10-09-2020),VHscraps (10-17-2020)

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-20-2020 @ 12:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm off for a week, might go check it out. Rock Hall memberships are currently 50% off and I haven't renewed yet this year.

Here Are All the Eddie Van Halen Guitars and Gear You Can See at the Rock Hall

Posted By Jeff Niesel on Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 1:53 pm

As you can imagine, the Rock Hall has a number of items from the late Eddie Van Halen, who passed away yesterday. The Van Halen guitarist was inducted into the Rock Hall in 2007.

The Rock Hall supplied us with the following descriptions of his gear that's currently on display.

Outside of the Garage, the Rock Hall has Van Halen’s 1994 Peavey EVH Wolfgang Prototype, his second collaboration with a guitar manufacturer to produce a signature instrument. Made by noted luthier Jim DeCola, the prototype predates the production model by two years, and Van Halen used it to record at his 5150 Studios.

Named after Van Halen’s son, the Wolfgang was manufactured in two stock models and could be custom-ordered.

On Level O at the Rock Hall, you can see a 2012 Wolfgang/Eruption guitar. It features a basswood body with carved maple top, a quarter sawn maple neck with ebony fingerboard. It features a hand-sprayed “rattlecan” white finish with black stripes, two humbuckers with volume and tone controls, a pickup selector and momentary kill switch. The 2012 EVH Wolfgang was custom-made for Van Halen by Chip Ellis for the band's 2012 Japanese tour and live album. Although this Wolfgang is Van Halen’s modern/current design, the finish is a throw-back to the Eruption guitar graphic and was sprayed in the same fashion as the original was sprayed back in 1978 – outdoors on Van Halen’s property using lacquer “rattlecans.”

On Level 6, you can see Van Halen’s massive rig. A self-taught guitarist, Van Halen “created a new vocabulary on his instrument through an array of jaw-dropping, never-before-heard, innovative playing techniques such as two-handed tapping, in which both hands sound the strings from the fingerboard, which allowed him to produce fluid phrases at dizzying speeds,” as it's put in the description that accompanies the display

His use of “dive bombing,” depressing and releasing the vibrato bar to "create dramatic descents and ascents in pitch, drove innovations in guitar design such as the locking vibrato system and ushered in new standards in virtuosic rock guitar performance."

The Rock Hall display features a reconstruction of his rig as it appeared onstage in 2012 in North America and 2013 in Australia, Japan and North America. It includes amplifier speaker cabinets, tube-powered amplifiers (heads) and effects units. He used the pedal board from the late '90s into the early 2000s, and the sixth floor display includes a replica of the 1978 White with Black Stripe “Super Strat” that Van Halen conceived and built himself. In addition, there’s a replica of Van Halen's '79 “Bumblebee” Black with Yellow Stripe “Super Strat” guitar that he intended to be the second generation and improved version of the 1978 White with Black Stripe Stratocaster.

“While it never quite lived up to his expectations, and frustrated Van Halen in the process,” reads the Rock Hall’s description of the Bumbleee, “it did spawn one of Eddie’s most adored stripe color themes of black with yellow stripes.”

The exhibit even includes a replica of Frankenstein, Van Halen’s most famous and well-known guitar.

Van Halen discusses his rig and his unique approach to playing guitar in a videotaped interview that shows just what a musical genius he was.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...-the-rock-hall
    Last edited by twonabomber; 10-08-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

My memory is kinda shaky at this point, seeing as how I turn 50 next month. But I think the first time I heard a Van Halen record was when I was either nine or ten. I’ve always loved music and when I was a little kid I had this Sesame Street AM radio. And my favorite station was out of Charlotte, AM 61 Big Ways. It was a pop/rock station and they played Reeling In The Years a couple times a day. Still my favorite song of all time. Anyways, I don’t remember if they played any VH. If they did I just don’t remember. What I do remember is being at my next door neighbor Tony’s house one day in ‘79 or ‘80 and we were in his older brother Kevin’s room listening to some KISS records, coincidentally. Now, Kevin had this big ass bookcase slap full of records, thinking back it seemed like hundreds of records. Kevin was never home but we had his permission to listen to his records so long as we put them back where they were. And one day I was looking thru them and came across VH 1. I’m not going to look up the track list but I know the first song we listened to was RWTD. And I was blown away. And from that moment, Van Fucking Halen was my favorite band.

In junior high and high school I had VH pictures in my lockers at school, along with Heather Thomas (I got in deep shit for that one lol) and other hot chicks. In high school I drew the VH logo on most of my notebooks and in 10th grade I almost got suspended for carving that logo into the top of my desk in German class lol. Damn thing took me a couple days to do. I spray painted a pair of Vans Eddie style in fluorescent green and black and then a pair of Chucks red white and black. My cassette tape carrier I kept in my car was mostly Van Halen. And I wore those things out!

My daughter discovered VH on her own when she was maybe 10 or so. Then she discovered Yankee Rose and she used to blast the shit out of it. Then in 2012 she did a solo dance in dance class to Stay Frosty. That same year she asked if she could go with me to the VH show. We went and Momshell posted live updates from me from the show. My kid had a blast.

I know I’ve been critical of Ed - and that’s documented here on this site. But his and Dave’s music have been a part of my life for 40 years. My daughter texted me a couple hours after the news broke to ask if I’d heard. Full circle, from that first listen to my 20 year old daughter asking if I’d heard Ed had passed.

Rock In Peace, Edward. Not just from me, but from a kid who blasted you guys’ music and danced her heart out to one of your songs...And with that - I think it’s time to crack one open and blast Unchained as loud as I can. Apologies to my neighbors..

9. 7 users say thank you to DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-10-2020),FORD (10-08-2020),Rikk (10-09-2020),Seshmeister (10-09-2020),TJMKID (10-09-2020),Von Halen (10-08-2020),ZahZoo (10-09-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's not on YouTube or I would have linked to it so you could see it too (UK people can see on ITVHub Good Morning Britain) but maybe the most touching thing I've seen so far is Pierce fucking Morgan interviewing Gene Simmons about Eddie, These are by all standards two pretty fucking flawed individuals and watching them in particular Simmons breaking down affected me.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    I know I’ve been critical of Ed - and that’s documented here on this site. But his and Dave’s music have been a part of my life for 40 years. My daughter texted me a couple hours after the news broke to ask if I’d heard. Full circle, from that first listen to my 20 year old daughter asking if I’d heard Ed had passed.
    This is the thing. It's the difference between really good and legend.

I saw it happen with a Prince fan(atic)friend when he checked out and I think many of us maybe had those messages I know I did.

'Just heard the news are you ok?' 'Fuck EVH died first thing i thought was you?'

12. 4 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-10-2020),Matt White (10-09-2020),TJMKID (10-09-2020),ZahZoo (10-09-2020)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Friend of mine messaged and asked if I was okay. Got on FB and...shit. I had just gotten into the break room, I was at work.

I was off the day Prince went and that was probably a good thing. Michael Hutchence, too.

Oddly enough, I was at work when I heard about Michael Jackson...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Star Fleet is currently cranked to the stratosphere...

15. 2 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-09-2020),Von Halen (10-08-2020)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt White View Post
    Mike did lose a grandchild...and guess who donated to the charitable organization Mike was raising money for? Yup...our man DIAMOND DAVID LEE ROTH ponied up 10K! I remember Mike saying how touched he was & he even contacted Dave to thank him.
    I thought that was awesome too. Class act. These guys have had a shitty few years.

18. 2 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-09-2020),TJMKID (10-09-2020)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Mike did lose a grandchild...and guess who donated to the charitable organization Mike was raising money for? Yup...our man DIAMOND DAVID LEE ROTH ponied up 10K! I remember Mike saying how touched he was & he even contacted Dave to thank him.
    Pretty damn classy move by Dave, but then again we always knew he was classy or else this site wouldn't even exist. They usually don't devote fan sites to douchebags.

One reason I heard EVH held a grudge against Mikey since 2004 is that Mike didnt attend Ed and Al's mother's funeral when she died in 2005. I think Dave didnt attend either but he at least reached out to Ed and Alex to offer his condolences. So it's probably not the sole reason Ed has held this grudge but it definitely contributed in some way. Also explains why Ed didnt contribute to Mike's charity after his grandchild passed away. Bitterness all around.

20. Thanked TJMKID for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-09-2020)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    Pretty damn classy move by Dave, but then again we always knew he was classy or else this site wouldn't even exist. They usually don't devote fan sites to douchebags.

One reason I heard EVH held a grudge against Mikey since 2004 is that Mike didnt attend Ed and Al's mother's funeral when she died in 2005. I think Dave didnt attend either but he at least reached out to Ed and Alex to offer his condolences. So it's probably not the sole reason Ed has held this grudge but it definitely contributed in some way. Also explains why Ed didnt contribute to Mike's charity after his grandchild passed away. Bitterness all around.
    Heck, even at the height of the Dave-VH feud, Dave still reached out to Ed and called him when Jan passed away in 1986.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

As far as the VH vaults are concerned, I'd be interested in hearing the Dave 5150 demos from 1985 before the split.

Dave has said he had worked on half of the record. Alex and Mike both have said they have demos of Dave singing on what would become songs "Summer Nights" and "Good Enough".

Also, what about the 2000-01 sessions? The songs that Dave once described as "The hands fell off the clock.." way back. Or were some of those re-worked for some of the new songs on ADKOT?

Then of course there may be video footage. I think Wolf is sitting on a bunch of stuff.

We may see some released at some point.

23. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-09-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    As far as the VH vaults are concerned, I'd be interested in hearing the Dave 5150 demos from 1985 before the split.

Dave has said he had worked on half of the record. Alex and Mike both have said they have demos of Dave singing on what would become songs "Summer Nights" and "Good Enough".

Also, what about the 2000-01 sessions? The songs that Dave once described as "The hands fell off the clock.." way back. Or were some of those re-worked for some of the new songs on ADKOT?

Then of course there may be video footage. I think Wolf is sitting on a bunch of stuff.

Of course I'm interested in all this. But I'm really hoping for official releases of some of the old live shows, on video. If I owned Netflix, I'd be standing on Wolf's front porch with a blank check.

25. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-09-2020)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    If I were to advise... I'd send Netflix and their blank check to Alex's house first.

Wolfgang may be Ed's heir... but I believe Alex most likely holds the managing seat at the table for the legacy Van Halen catalog and assets. Wolf joined the band 13 years ago at age 16... I don't think he even had a driver's license let alone the legal ability to be a corporate share-holder in the Van Halen Inc business end of things...

Let's not forget the older brother of the band's namesake is still alive... despite his epic run-in with Catfish™ many years ago...

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ed's passing won't be good for Van Hagar's legacy.

As more young people decide to go through the VH catalog, they will see how inferior that era was to the original.
    The verdict is already out... seems only the Dave albums are receiving any interest

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...agnE3OxaJkbjrs

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    The verdict is already out... seems only the Dave albums are receiving any interest

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...agnE3OxaJkbjrs
    As if there was any doubt.

In all honesty, Ed did some cool things on the Hagar albums despite Spammy's annoying vocals and corny lyrics.

But its the six pack that everyone will always want to hear and the albums that set the world ON FIRE!

29. 3 users say thank you to Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (10-09-2020),Matt White (10-09-2020),Rikk (10-09-2020)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

As if there was any doubt.

In all honesty, Ed did some cool things on the Hagar albums despite Spammy's annoying vocals and corny lyrics.

But its the six pack that everyone will always want to hear and the albums that set the world ON FIRE!
    I noticed this during this week. I've obviously (like all of us) been listening to so much VH this week. And a lot of fans here would be lying if they claimed they've listened only to Dave material...but I've noticed that I've dug out songs from the non-Dave albums only because I wanted to hear an Ed part I remember loving (e.g. his solo on GET UP). I listened to BLACK 'N' BLUE the other night because I just love the simple riff and the groove the band has. And it had been a while: I said out loud to my wife, "Jesus, I forgot how fucking terrible these lyrics are!!"

31. 2 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-10-2020),Matt White (10-09-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I saw Back in Black was in the charts there and then thought for a second Ratt were too but it turns out it was someone called Cardi B...

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

From Nuno Bettencourt's Instagram post:

"Once upon a time in Hollywood, recently, while recording the latest EXTREME album in my home studio I got a call to come down to the front of my house, that someone is asking for me. I was like, damn that's annoying as I was in the zone cutting a guitar solo to a new song called RISE. I dropped my guitar and headed down. I walk out and... I was being summoned by the one and only... Edward. As usual I got a warm hug and kiss from Eddie. Even as a God, he always made you feel important.

"He was in great spirits. A proud dad, bragging about how Wolfie's new solo album is gonna blow minds, etc... What's cool though, was the last thing Eddie talked about. He said he was super excited about reaching out to Michael Anthony to finally put the original VH lineup back together. Saying that he wanted to do one final tour and have VAN HALEN go out the way they came in...Together... Guns Blazing!

"Finally as Eddie said his goodbye, he asked about the new EXTREME album that we were recording up in the house. As we hugged, he says: 'I'll be back to listen to it when you're done,' and with a sinister raspy laugh, adds 'it better be good'.

"Finished it. Then. PANDEMIC.

"Man, I was like a kid, counting the Covid Days down to when I could blare the new EXTREME album in the studio, sitting side by side with My Hero, the GOAT, selfishly wanting to play him all the new guitar work that shamelessly, but with pride has his DNA all over my playing. I guess that moment wasn't meant to be...

"It's incredible how as a young player, your guitar chord, is the umbilical chord that intimately connects you to someone you may never meet, moreso than even someone in your own family. At the drop of a needle or the touch of a space bar. They are there for you 24/7. As Eddie was... and forever will be.

"Thank you for shaping who I am today.

"Love you, Edward. You are the ONE."

34. 4 users say thank you to Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (10-09-2020),katina (10-10-2020),Matt White (10-09-2020),Von Halen (10-09-2020)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I saw Back in Black was in the charts there and then thought for a second Ratt were too but it turns out it was someone called Cardi B...
    We're all old, aren't we?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Star Fleet is currently cranked to the stratosphere...
    Well we nearly lost Brian May this year too...

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VINNIE VELVET View Post

"Once upon a time in Hollywood, recently, while recording the latest EXTREME album in my home studio I got a call to come down to the front of my house, that someone is asking for me. I was like, damn that's annoying as I was in the zone cutting a guitar solo to a new song called RISE. I dropped my guitar and headed down. I walk out and... I was being summoned by the one and only... Edward. As usual I got a warm hug and kiss from Eddie. Even as a God, he always made you feel important.

"He was in great spirits. A proud dad, bragging about how Wolfie's new solo album is gonna blow minds, etc... What's cool though, was the last thing Eddie talked about. He said he was super excited about reaching out to Michael Anthony to finally put the original VH lineup back together. Saying that he wanted to do one final tour and have VAN HALEN go out the way they came in...Together... Guns Blazing!

"Finally as Eddie said his goodbye, he asked about the new EXTREME album that we were recording up in the house. As we hugged, he says: 'I'll be back to listen to it when you're done,' and with a sinister raspy laugh, adds 'it better be good'.

"Man, I was like a kid, counting the Covid Days down to when I could blare the new EXTREME album in the studio, sitting side by side with My Hero, the GOAT, selfishly wanting to play him all the new guitar work that shamelessly, but with pride has his DNA all over my playing. I guess that moment wasn't meant to be...

"It's incredible how as a young player, your guitar chord, is the umbilical chord that intimately connects you to someone you may never meet, moreso than even someone in your own family. At the drop of a needle or the touch of a space bar. They are there for you 24/7. As Eddie was... and forever will be.

Kick-ass.

And so fucking sad.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    We're all old, aren't we?
    It's when you realize Van Halen were in their early 50s when they reformed...

39. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (10-09-2020)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I noticed this during this week. I've obviously (like all of us) been listening to so much VH this week. And a lot of fans here would be lying if they claimed they've listened only to Dave material...but I've noticed that I've dug out songs from the non-Dave albums only because I wanted to hear an Ed part I remember loving (e.g. his solo on GET UP). I listened to BLACK 'N' BLUE the other night because I just love the simple riff and the groove the band has. And it had been a while: I said out loud to my wife, "Jesus, I forgot how fucking terrible these lyrics are!!"
    Rikk, brother, how ya holding up.

I'm still down about Ed's passing. This will linger for a while I think.

As for Black and Blue - I liked the groove as well. But goddman Hagar ruins it. lol

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Prince Estate got a lil' taste of money and went OFF. The nowhere near finished book that got released proved it.
    What do you think of the SOTT package?

My friend was pissed off to find out this week he is getting hit for $50 import duty ordering it from the UK.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Fuckng PERFECT. My respect for Nuno just went thru the roof.

43. Thanked Matt White for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-10-2020)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I dunno.

Look at what the Prince Estate has done. Some of the releases are very, very good, and some are just meh. The Versace Experience comes to mind. Sounds like a fucking cassette. The Sign O' the Times set, though...fucking brilliant.

Does Wolfgang or whoever decide to just roll out new colors for the guitars every year?

Speaking of which...I have a Slime Green Wolfgang on the way...figured I'd pull the trigger before I can't find one.
    The PURPLE RAIN and 1999 sets were brilliant too. So much good stuff. But SIGN was what I was most waiting for...

I love how each set is not TOO over-priced, has truly unreleased material, laps up all the b-sides/remixes (though I never cared much for remixes) and consistently includes video/film vault material.

45. Thanked Rikk for this KICKASS post:

twonabomber (10-09-2020)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Rikk, brother, how ya holding up.

I'm still down about Ed's passing. This will linger for a while I think.

As for Black and Blue - I liked the groove as well. But goddman Hagar ruins it. lol
    VV, so good to see such stellar comradeship in these here parts!

I'm holding up best I can. Last night, while making dinner (I HAVE NO SHAME IN SAYING THIS)...I started talking about what happened this week to my wife. She and I have lost a child, so we know pain. And I don't cry about every little thing. But I started talking about Ed dying, and then, next thing I knew, I realized tears were coming out of my eyes. She walked over and hugged me for like a minute. And I fucking cried. She stepped back and I said to her: "I loved this guy. He was a fucking hero. I met him once and he was so nice to me. Eddie Van Halen is fucking DEAD!!! How can this be?" And she hugged me again.

I cannot believe how much this has hit me.

47. 5 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (10-09-2020),DLR Bridge (10-10-2020),Nickdfresh (10-09-2020),Seshmeister (10-09-2020),Vinnie Velvet (10-09-2020)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    What do you think of the SOTT package?
    So far I like it. I would have liked to have Dream Factory in it's intended order and not have to piece it together myself, but that's a small complaint. I haven't been through the book yet. I still have the 12" remix maxi-singles that I bought in '87...from the same record store!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm in a David Letterman group on FB. When someone dies, the admin puts together a video. This has Hagar on it, but the first part's okay

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuckng PERFECT. My respect for Nuno just went thru the roof.
    The only thing I never understood about Nuno was his taste in singers. I don't care what anyone says: Gary Cherone is a wailing idiot. That III album admittedly has a lot of really good guitar-playing, but virtually every track is ruined with some freak singing about whitemen getting a tan, going on about being a red-blood heterosexual peeping at girls and liking what he sees.

Holy fuck, Watson. Someone misplaced the cocaine and replaced it with Ajax.

51. 2 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-10-2020),Matt White (10-09-2020)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm in a David Letterman group on FB. When someone dies, the admin puts together a video. This has Hagar on it, but the first part's okay

You didn't take out your lighter and sing along to NOT ENOUGH?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The PURPLE RAIN and 1999 sets were brilliant too. So much good stuff. But SIGN was what I was most waiting for...

I love how each set is not TOO over-priced, has truly unreleased material, laps up all the b-sides/remixes (though I never cared much for remixes) and consistently includes video/film vault material.
    Did PR have the birthday show at First Avenue? I don't remember. Makings Of Rain is what the bootleg was called.

I have a boot of the birthday show from Detroit when Cherry Moon came out, would like to see an official release of that. 2026 for forty year anniversary...maybe they'll do 35 instead. But the movie was SHIT. Graffiti Bridge, too!

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If memory serves me right, which it might not...gonna be 53 in 4 months...I'm as old as Ed was on that 2007-08 tour :O
    Hasn't Dave mentioned an aborted attempt to make a VH movie around the time of Women and Children First?!?
    THAT'S the SHIT I wanna see! Break open the vault & show us ANY live footage of the Fantastic Foursome at their peak!
    Even that 8mm footage of the opening night '79 from FRESNO is beyond BAD ASS! I really hope Wolfie digs thru everything...and lets the younger generation see his Dad & Uncle AL when they were in all their live glory. I really want some footage on par with that ZEP DVD from the early 2000's. People need to be reminded just how powerful The Mighty Van Halen were "Once Upon a Time'.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The only thing I never understood about Nuno was his taste in singers. I don't care what anyone says: Gary Cherone is a wailing idiot. That III album admittedly has a lot of really good guitar-playing, but virtually every track is ruined with some freak singing about whitemen getting a tan, going on about being a red-blood heterosexual peeping at girls and liking what he sees.

Holy fuck, Watson. Someone misplaced the cocaine and replaced it with Ajax.
    Yessir....GRATE pipes but that boy ain't right! LMAO Cherone was pretty good in Extreme...awful with VH. Just "another" singer in Dave's band...who couldn't hold a candle to DLR when it comes to lyrics.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Did PR have the birthday show at First Avenue? I don't remember. Makings Of Rain is what the bootleg was called.

I have a boot of the birthday show from Detroit when Cherry Moon came out, would like to see an official release of that. 2026 for forty year anniversary...maybe they'll do 35 instead. But the movie was SHIT. Graffiti Bridge, too!
    PR had the typical old VHS/Laserdisc show from Syracuse...but great to get a really good copy of that show. It's a classic.

CHERRY MOON was...I don't think it's as bad as some say. It's definitely better than GB. THAT WAS BAD!! The music from that period is amazing, though. To me, I even like the Batman stuff. It's about DIAMONDS & PEARLS that some of the material starts to sound...tired.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If memory serves me right, which it might not...gonna be 53 in 4 months...I'm as old as Ed was on that 2007-08 tour :O
    Hasn't Dave mentioned an aborted attempt to make a VH movie around the time of Women and Children First?!?
    THAT'S the SHIT I wanna see! Break open the vault & show us ANY live footage of the Fantastic Foursome at their peak!
    Even that 8mm footage of the opening night '79 from FRESNO is beyond BAD ASS! I really hope Wolfie digs thru everything...and lets the younger generation see his Dad & Uncle AL when they were in all their live glory. I really want some footage on par with that ZEP DVD from the early 2000's. People need to be reminded just how powerful The Mighty Van Halen were "Once Upon a Time'.
    I agree.

Wolf is sitting on a goldmine of stuff. In time we will see and hear it.

58. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-09-2020)

Thread Information