• Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Nice dressing room.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

This is the first and last time I will ever post a VDIII song.... but since it's literally a year to the day, it seems fitting somehow.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Not to me...

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Just skip over the Cherone part and go right to Eddie's solo. It's better that way.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I've still never watched that after all these years.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              I've still never watched that after all these years.
              To me, it honestly wasn't any worse than when Hagar fronted the group.

Van Halen III had a few good riffs and ideas. The material just came across like it wasn't fully realized. That and Eddie producing...the album just plain SOUNDED terrible. And Eddie clearly was clearly at his best when he had a strong producer to push him and tell him when a tune might need more work, or some rearrangement.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

It's a garbage album and proof that Ed would have lived and died in total obscurity without Dave...

As good as Edward was, guitar players are a dime a dozen and that album is proof...

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                  To me, it honestly wasn't any worse than when Hagar fronted the group.

Van Halen III had a few good riffs and ideas. The material just came across like it wasn't fully realized. That and Eddie producing...the album just plain SOUNDED terrible. And Eddie clearly was clearly at his best when he had a strong producer to push him and tell him when a tune might need more work, or some rearrangement.

Eddie must have had a lot of clout when Van Halen resigned to Warner Brothers for their new Spinal Tap Blues/Jazz festival edition. There must have been suits who were against allowing Eddie to produce when it was clear he had no direction and talent in doing so. During the S P A M M Y years Mick Jones was brought in because he knew how to organize a commercial ballad, Bruce Fairbairn knew how make metal bland and even more commercial and eventually they went back to yacht rock Templesuck and his overzealous production skills. Eddie had little experience behind the board and to work with somebody like Hairy Mother Bone who had a vocal range that was as good as it was annoying was mostly due to Eddie didn't want to carry the onus of performing on stage anymore. None of it worked. Never understood why Eddie threw away a successful multi-million dollar business on a hunch - not that S P A M M Y had also destroyed it from within as well.

Comment

• GreenBayLA
                    Sniper
                    • Jan 2006

Hard to believe it's been a year already. When I broke the news here I was in a bit of shock and just gave a reporters' perspective. Reflecting now I still have mixed feelings about EVH the man but he is the greatest guitar player of his generation and beyond. Thanks Edward!
                    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                      Eddie must have had a lot of clout when Van Halen resigned to Warner Brothers for their new Spinal Tap Blues/Jazz festival edition. There must have been suits who were against allowing Eddie to produce when it was clear he had no direction and talent in doing so. During the S P A M M Y years Mick Jones was brought in because he knew how to organize a commercial ballad, Bruce Fairbairn knew how make metal bland and even more commercial and eventually they went back to yacht rock Templesuck and his overzealous production skills. Eddie had little experience behind the board and to work with somebody like Hairy Mother Bone who had a vocal range that was as good as it was annoying was mostly due to Eddie didn't want to carry the onus of performing on stage anymore. None of it worked. Never understood why Eddie threw away a successful multi-million dollar business on a hunch - not that S P A M M Y had also destroyed it from within as well.
                      Well, at least with Templeman and Fairbairn, the records were listenable in terms of the production, unlike Van Halen III...which sounded like a bunch of rough demos...

Yeah, it's still hard to believe that someone with clout/pull at WB didn't listen to the final mixes presented for Van Halen III and say that the stuff wasn't nearly good enough to consider releasing. I dunno if by the 1990s Van Halen had a deal with WB that allowed them to hand in an album without any record company input...maybe WB thought that Van Halen COULD make a go of it with Cherone and have it be successful...it wasn't a surprise after the Van Halen III period ended that WB dropped Van Halen.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

The first time I listened to VDIII all the way through was a little over year ago while sitting by a campfire...

While reflecting on Edward's passing, it was nice to hear some of the neat guitar work he did...

But the album totally, totally sucks and I was dreaming of how Dave could have brought some of it to life...

Ah well...
                        Last edited by ELVIS; 10-07-2021, 09:24 PM. Reason: Shit-Pants-Sesh

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                          The first time I listened to VDIII all the way through was a little over year ago while sitting by a campfire...

While reflecting on Edward's passing, it was nice to hear some of the neat guitar work he did...

But the album totally, totally sucks and I was dreaming of how Dave could have brought some of it to life...

Ah well...
                          Did you throw it on the campfire?

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

No, it was youtube...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Eh, that kind of sucked. Commentary from S P A M M Y and The Nudge ruined it for me - oh, and that dickhead from Sucktallica. That "tribute's" only saving grace? No fucking Dave Grohl.

Comment

Working...