X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Rikk
    Anytime I can oblige, you fucking bastard.

I HATE YOU SO MUCH, IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY!!!

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

Hey, musicians will bounce off each other musically. I have not listened to the entire III album. I have no desire to.

I listened to the van hagar albums (bought 5150 in 86 and roommates blasted the others out on the stereo upon release), but if I could have all of the output from 1986 to whenever without the screech of the Orange Goblin, or the lameness of Cherone (just my opinion....he is good at being Cherone, but Cherone's input does ZERO for me). In short, I would rather hear anything without Dave on it as instrumentals. No klown, no Cherona. Just the band. Or...with Dave, lol.

Goddammit. If 1996 would have happened, it might have been several albums and tours with Mikey still in the band. Mike's bass abilities always impressed the fuck out of me. He is a Musician's Musician. I feel he is underrated, as many people can't get past his former live auto-destruct-o-matic bass solos.

Don't get me wrong. You can easily see on the last video......I think it should be called "That's My Boy" due to Val's comment at the beginning....Wolfy was tearing it the fuck up! Dude is badass bassist. Christ-o-mighty.

But hey, I still prefer Mike for VH. Just my preference.

I saw a marked improvement and confidence in Wolfy between first and last tours with VH. Wow.

It has been 3187 days since Krusty got laid.

It is one thing to be the child of a rock star, but to actually be in the band with your Dad who is top dog in rock guitardom?
      And to be the driving force in the reunion tours and album? I have lotsa respect for him.
      I feel he took VH into the 21st-century in a way. The hand-off to the next generation.
      Last edited by Hardrock69; 10-29-2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
        Hey, musicians will bounce off each other musically. I have not listened to the entire III album. I have no desire to.

I listened to the van hagar albums (bought 5150 in 86 and roommates blasted the others out on the stereo upon release), but if I could have all of the output from 1986 to whenever without the screech of the Orange Goblin, or the lameness of Cherone (just my opinion....he is good at being Cherone, but Cherone's input does ZERO for me). In short, I would rather hear anything without Dave on it as instrumentals. No klown, no Cherona. Just the band. Or...with Dave, lol.
        On the Van Hagar tour in 1993 the band actually performed the song "Pleasure Dome" as an instrumental, without Hagar on stage. It was a considerable improvement..... even if they only played it as a 2 minute intro for Alex's drum solo....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

Now THAT is some hot shit!

And then *POW!*

DAVE COMES RUNNING OUT!!!!!

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

It is their "Achilles Last Stand".

Comment

• Rikk
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
              Dave is on record saying he doesn't care for that song.

"Well, you know what? I think that song kind of meandered aimlessly." He goes on to suggest that song was "Commandeered more by Valerie Bertinelli"
              I know they had to pull it out of him...he wasn't very happy with the music Eddie was playing him. But that's one of the things I love about the song...they finally found that MEETING POINT...and that tension...that's what made the band great. Dave pulling one way, Ed the other...they'd find a meeting point in the middle.

Do you remember where Dave said that? I'd be fascinated to read it. I've read almost nothing with Dave discussing the band's music...at least not in the last 15 years or so since he came back.

I can see the song not being his usual style. And I've often suspected he didn't love the song. But I just love it. It's modern Eddie, playing his ass off...and with that epic feel he was going for more in the mid-90s. And Dave is still being...Dave. Sounding brilliant. The backing vocal part when the chorus still gives me goosebumps.
              Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
              Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hardrock69
                i saw a marked improvement and confidence in wolfy between first and last tours with vh. Wow.

it has been 3187 days since krusty got laid.

it is one thing to be the child of a rock star, but to actually be in the band with your dad who is top dog in rock guitardom?
                And to be the driving force in the reunion tours and album? I have lotsa respect for him. i feel he took vh into the 21st-century in a way. The hand-off to the next generation.
                Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  On the Van Hagar tour in 1993 the band actually performed the song "Pleasure Dome" as an instrumental, without Hagar on stage. It was a considerable improvement..... even if they only played it as a 2 minute intro for Alex's drum solo....

PLEASURE DOME is a great piece of music. It truly is. FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE is my least-favorite VH album of them all. I'd take VHIII over that album in a heartbeat. But PLEASURE DOME is the shit...and even Hagar isn't bad on it.

Now hearing it as an instrumental truly gave it greater excellence.
                  Roth Army Militia

Comment

• bluemustard
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2006

I started building a EVH type guitar a month before he left us.
                    It's almost finished. I wanna call it "The Lodewijk" .121733202_409690140423873_5217926038621109430_o.jpg121980559_412635656795988_4294863557731796559_o.jpg
                    Last edited by bluemustard; 10-30-2020, 05:09 AM.

Comment

• bluemustard
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2006

It's ebony fretboard, one paf pro dimarzio, schaller 3d bridge (Should have done a floyd) 25,5 scale 9,5 radius, flamed maple headstock , walnut back , kluson headlockers, 500k CTS pushpull , mahogony / limba neck thru (all made with basic tools).

122665948_418871159505771_7078664213916329764_o.jpg 122402515_416289239763963_1509401835420039677_o.jpg

Comment

• bluemustard
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2006

I made a guitar for Ike Willis.(Frank Zappa guitarist/singer from Joe's garage) I toured with him a few times in the UK.
                        Here are pics of the guitar and the man met Eddie van Halen back in the days. See pic. It's Ike & Eddie.

118230096_364799981579556_6188318790949871312_o.jpg121886659_10106354848978727_5564202225725191388_n.jpg

Comment

• bluemustard
                          Veteran
                          • Mar 2006

118175623_364800004912887_1068715571732589030_o.jpg118252111_364799998246221_2307680776648366939_o.jpg

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Rikk

Do you remember where Dave said that?
                            Yep. It was on the Radio Rodeo Tour at WRIF in Detroit. I was outside the studio waiting and listening to the interview and it hit me like a ton of bricks when he said it. I loved that song the first time I heard it, and I love it to this day. I love the vocals, the harmonies and Ed does a SMOKIN' guitar solo towards the end. I'm sure the interview is available on YouTube these days. I posted the whole thing at DDLR and more than likely here, at one time. One of the DJ's I know, that actually still works there, gave it to me on CD, direct from their board. I have it on my phone in my iTunes too. I listened to it yesterday because I wanted to get the quote right. Somebody asks Dave about a VH reunion and he talks about Ed wasting so much time. It's disheartening. We can only hope to hear some of the stuff Ed was working on in his studio, while he was wasting all that time.

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I bought a Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon in June. Friend sent me this the other day...

I don't like the wheels. Mine has body color flares and hardtop.
                              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                                Dave is on record saying he doesn't care for that song.

"Well, you know what? I think that song kind of meandered aimlessly." He goes on to suggest that song was "Commandeered more by Valerie Bertinelli"
                                Wiki (Kristy's favorite!) says that Dave re-wrote Glenn Ballard's scratch lyrics.

Roth discarded Ballard's sketch lyrics and wrote his own, and denied the suggestion to get help from songwriter Desmond Child.
                                The lyrics to "Me Wise Magic," written by David Lee Roth, were based on an initial set of lyrics by the song's producer Glen Ballard, which Roth insisted on rewriting to suit his own unique style. Written in first-person, "Me Wise Magic" presents a series of questions and statements about self-awareness, religious belief and superstitions - alternating between the points of view of God and a human being.
                                The last thing Dave needed was Desmond Child...

I also seem to remember someone not liking Ballard as a producer. Could have been Hagar though.

I like MWM. I hear anger and aggression from Ed.
                                Last edited by twonabomber; 10-30-2020, 05:29 PM.
                                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...