• Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
      Mike did lose a grandchild...and guess who donated to the charitable organization Mike was raising money for? Yup...our man DIAMOND DAVID LEE ROTH ponied up 10K! I remember Mike saying how touched he was & he even contacted Dave to thank him.
      I thought that was awesome too. Class act. These guys have had a shitty few years.
      Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• TJMKID
        Veteran
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
        Mike did lose a grandchild...and guess who donated to the charitable organization Mike was raising money for? Yup...our man DIAMOND DAVID LEE ROTH ponied up 10K! I remember Mike saying how touched he was & he even contacted Dave to thank him.
        Pretty damn classy move by Dave, but then again we always knew he was classy or else this site wouldn't even exist. They usually don't devote fan sites to douchebags.

One reason I heard EVH held a grudge against Mikey since 2004 is that Mike didnt attend Ed and Al's mother's funeral when she died in 2005. I think Dave didnt attend either but he at least reached out to Ed and Alex to offer his condolences. So it's probably not the sole reason Ed has held this grudge but it definitely contributed in some way. Also explains why Ed didnt contribute to Mike's charity after his grandchild passed away. Bitterness all around.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by TJMKID
          Pretty damn classy move by Dave, but then again we always knew he was classy or else this site wouldn't even exist. They usually don't devote fan sites to douchebags.

One reason I heard EVH held a grudge against Mikey since 2004 is that Mike didnt attend Ed and Al's mother's funeral when she died in 2005. I think Dave didnt attend either but he at least reached out to Ed and Alex to offer his condolences. So it's probably not the sole reason Ed has held this grudge but it definitely contributed in some way. Also explains why Ed didnt contribute to Mike's charity after his grandchild passed away. Bitterness all around.
          Heck, even at the height of the Dave-VH feud, Dave still reached out to Ed and called him when Jan passed away in 1986.
          =V V=
          ole No.1 The finest
          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

As far as the VH vaults are concerned, I'd be interested in hearing the Dave 5150 demos from 1985 before the split.

Dave has said he had worked on half of the record. Alex and Mike both have said they have demos of Dave singing on what would become songs "Summer Nights" and "Good Enough".

Also, what about the 2000-01 sessions? The songs that Dave once described as "The hands fell off the clock.." way back. Or were some of those re-worked for some of the new songs on ADKOT?

Then of course there may be video footage. I think Wolf is sitting on a bunch of stuff.

We may see some released at some point.
            =V V=
            ole No.1 The finest
            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Von Halen
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
              As far as the VH vaults are concerned, I'd be interested in hearing the Dave 5150 demos from 1985 before the split.

Dave has said he had worked on half of the record. Alex and Mike both have said they have demos of Dave singing on what would become songs "Summer Nights" and "Good Enough".

Also, what about the 2000-01 sessions? The songs that Dave once described as "The hands fell off the clock.." way back. Or were some of those re-worked for some of the new songs on ADKOT?

Then of course there may be video footage. I think Wolf is sitting on a bunch of stuff.

We may see some released at some point.
              Of course I'm interested in all this. But I'm really hoping for official releases of some of the old live shows, on video. If I owned Netflix, I'd be standing on Wolf's front porch with a blank check.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

If I were to advise... I'd send Netflix and their blank check to Alex's house first.

Wolfgang may be Ed's heir... but I believe Alex most likely holds the managing seat at the table for the legacy Van Halen catalog and assets. Wolf joined the band 13 years ago at age 16... I don't think he even had a driver's license let alone the legal ability to be a corporate share-holder in the Van Halen Inc business end of things...

Let's not forget the older brother of the band's namesake is still alive... despite his epic run-in with Catfish™ many years ago...
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Jetstream
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Dec 2011

Ed's passing won't be good for Van Hagar's legacy.

As more young people decide to go through the VH catalog, they will see how inferior that era was to the original.
                  The verdict is already out... seems only the Dave albums are receiving any interest

I got lost in the...

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Jetstream
                    The verdict is already out... seems only the Dave albums are receiving any interest

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...agnE3OxaJkbjrs
                    As if there was any doubt.

In all honesty, Ed did some cool things on the Hagar albums despite Spammy's annoying vocals and corny lyrics.

But its the six pack that everyone will always want to hear and the albums that set the world ON FIRE!
                    =V V=
                    ole No.1 The finest
                    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Rikk
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

As if there was any doubt.

In all honesty, Ed did some cool things on the Hagar albums despite Spammy's annoying vocals and corny lyrics.

But its the six pack that everyone will always want to hear and the albums that set the world ON FIRE!
                      I noticed this during this week. I've obviously (like all of us) been listening to so much VH this week. And a lot of fans here would be lying if they claimed they've listened only to Dave material...but I've noticed that I've dug out songs from the non-Dave albums only because I wanted to hear an Ed part I remember loving (e.g. his solo on GET UP). I listened to BLACK 'N' BLUE the other night because I just love the simple riff and the groove the band has. And it had been a while: I said out loud to my wife, "Jesus, I forgot how fucking terrible these lyrics are!!"
                      Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I saw Back in Black was in the charts there and then thought for a second Ratt were too but it turns out it was someone called Cardi B...

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

From Nuno Bettencourt's Instagram post:

"Once upon a time in Hollywood, recently, while recording the latest EXTREME album in my home studio I got a call to come down to the front of my house, that someone is asking for me. I was like, damn that's annoying as I was in the zone cutting a guitar solo to a new song called RISE. I dropped my guitar and headed down. I walk out and... I was being summoned by the one and only... Edward. As usual I got a warm hug and kiss from Eddie. Even as a God, he always made you feel important.

"He was in great spirits. A proud dad, bragging about how Wolfie's new solo album is gonna blow minds, etc... What's cool though, was the last thing Eddie talked about. He said he was super excited about reaching out to Michael Anthony to finally put the original VH lineup back together. Saying that he wanted to do one final tour and have VAN HALEN go out the way they came in...Together... Guns Blazing!

"Finally as Eddie said his goodbye, he asked about the new EXTREME album that we were recording up in the house. As we hugged, he says: 'I'll be back to listen to it when you're done,' and with a sinister raspy laugh, adds 'it better be good'.

"Finished it. Then. PANDEMIC.

"Man, I was like a kid, counting the Covid Days down to when I could blare the new EXTREME album in the studio, sitting side by side with My Hero, the GOAT, selfishly wanting to play him all the new guitar work that shamelessly, but with pride has his DNA all over my playing. I guess that moment wasn't meant to be...

"It's incredible how as a young player, your guitar chord, is the umbilical chord that intimately connects you to someone you may never meet, moreso than even someone in your own family. At the drop of a needle or the touch of a space bar. They are there for you 24/7. As Eddie was... and forever will be.

"Thank you for shaping who I am today.

"Love you, Edward. You are the ONE."
                          =V V=
                          ole No.1 The finest
                          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            I saw Back in Black was in the charts there and then thought for a second Ratt were too but it turns out it was someone called Cardi B...
                            We're all old, aren't we?
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by twonabomber
                              Star Fleet is currently cranked to the stratosphere...
                              Well we nearly lost Brian May this year too...

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by VINNIE VELVET
                                From Nuno Bettencourt's Instagram post:

"Once upon a time in Hollywood, recently, while recording the latest EXTREME album in my home studio I got a call to come down to the front of my house, that someone is asking for me. I was like, damn that's annoying as I was in the zone cutting a guitar solo to a new song called RISE. I dropped my guitar and headed down. I walk out and... I was being summoned by the one and only... Edward. As usual I got a warm hug and kiss from Eddie. Even as a God, he always made you feel important.

"He was in great spirits. A proud dad, bragging about how Wolfie's new solo album is gonna blow minds, etc... What's cool though, was the last thing Eddie talked about. He said he was super excited about reaching out to Michael Anthony to finally put the original VH lineup back together. Saying that he wanted to do one final tour and have VAN HALEN go out the way they came in...Together... Guns Blazing!

"Finally as Eddie said his goodbye, he asked about the new EXTREME album that we were recording up in the house. As we hugged, he says: 'I'll be back to listen to it when you're done,' and with a sinister raspy laugh, adds 'it better be good'.

"Finished it. Then. PANDEMIC.

"Man, I was like a kid, counting the Covid Days down to when I could blare the new EXTREME album in the studio, sitting side by side with My Hero, the GOAT, selfishly wanting to play him all the new guitar work that shamelessly, but with pride has his DNA all over my playing. I guess that moment wasn't meant to be...

"It's incredible how as a young player, your guitar chord, is the umbilical chord that intimately connects you to someone you may never meet, moreso than even someone in your own family. At the drop of a needle or the touch of a space bar. They are there for you 24/7. As Eddie was... and forever will be.

"Thank you for shaping who I am today.

"Love you, Edward. You are the ONE."
                                Kick-ass.

And so fucking sad.
                                Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...