X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
    Well, at least with Templeman and Fairbairn, the records were listenable in terms of the production, unlike Van Halen III...which sounded like a bunch of rough demos...

Yeah, it's still hard to believe that someone with clout/pull at WB didn't listen to the final mixes presented for Van Halen III and say that the stuff wasn't nearly good enough to consider releasing. I dunno if by the 1990s Van Halen had a deal with WB that allowed them to hand in an album without any record company input...maybe WB thought that Van Halen COULD make a go of it with Cherone and have it be successful...it wasn't a surprise after the Van Halen III period ended that WB dropped Van Halen.

Why Eddie never made a solo album is beyond me. He was much better as an instrumentalist than a lyrical songwriter but a multi-million dollar business is a multi-million dollar business. Eddie's problem was he could never find a singer he liked and could write lyrics on the side. He was more than fed up with Roth's ego and S P A M M Y turned the band into a banal corporate rock. My dream producer for Eddie would have been Tony Visconti who has a way of "layering guitar" parts through a song rather than simply recording what the musician is playing. I think he did a great job with Captain Sensible on the last Damned album and always wonder what he could do with a high caliber musician like Eddie.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

VDIII pretty much WAS his solo album. He played all the guitar, all the keyboards, all the bass, and even some of the drums. From what I remember, Alex only played on 2 or 3 songs. Cherone was only there because.... Eddie couldn't sing very well (see "How Many Say I").

Eddie's main problem was that he could write riffs forever, but he wasn't all that great at turning them into properly structured songs. Dave could do that for him. So could Hagar (yeah, it was cheesy shit, but at least it was structured cheesy shit). I don't know enough about Extreme's music to know how Cherone wrote with Nuno, but he either couldn't/wouldn't/wasn't allowed by Danniels to play the same role in constructing the songs on VDIII, which is why they were such a mess.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

[QUOTE=FORD;1952825]VDIII pretty much WAS his solo album. He played all the guitar, all the keyboards, all the bass, and even some of the drums.[QUOTE]

Michael Anthony played bass on the three songs that are actually songs, and I'm not convinced Ed played drums on anything except fo How Many Say I...

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Kristy
          Eh, that kind of sucked. Commentary from S P A M M Y and The Nudge ruined it for me - oh, and that dickhead from Sucktallica. That "tribute's" only saving grace? No fucking Dave Grohl.
          Hah! He's too busy selling his new book

I think Eddie Trunk was in there somewhere too. Apart from all that though it was kind of nice.

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Who's the Nudge ??

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Nov 2004

Ted Nugent I presume...
              posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
              posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

That would be The Nuge not the nudge...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                  That would be The Nuge not the nudge...
                  The only time you spell something right, it turns out to be shit....

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Back when forums were pretty new I registered at Ted Nugents 'private' forum as Joe Rogan in the naive times on the early 2000s when Rogan was just the bug eating host and if you registered under a name people would believe it was you.

Nugent fans in what they thought in those days was a 'private place' were waay more nutso than you would think - it was like sneaking into a Klan meeting. For some reason the thing I distinctly remember was Nugent himself in there had threads about how much fun it was to set up feeding stations for songbirds to shoot from different distances in his yard. I started (as Rogan) to gently bait him on that partly ripping the piss but also seeing how far he would go. Within a day or so Rogan contacted me and asked me to stop, said it was funny as fuck but not comfortable with people thinking it was him which is fair enough so I stopped.

At that time he was saying what an asshole Nugent was but I think he's gone back on that now. Rogan has flipped on everything at one time or another over the years.

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

I wonder if anyone else feels like they have to vomit when they see Sesh is the last to post in a thread...

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Hey... no puking and hurling in Ed's Dead Thread™...

Show some damn respect!
                        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          Rogan has flipped on everything at one time or another over the years.
                          A 100 million dollar contract from a corporation that has been slowly destroying music will do that to a person.

Comment

• Silexxx
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Sep 2010

Red Hot Chili Peppers release a new single, "Eddie," off their upcoming album 'Return of the Dream Canteen.'

Chili Peppers' new song is a tribute to Eddie and Classic Van Halen.

“It’s only 1983/ please don’t remember me,” Anthony Kiedis croons over the mid-tempo rocker. “For what I did with David/ you know I’m talking David Lee.”

“Sometimes we don’t realize how deeply affected and connected we are to artists until the day they die,” Kiedis said in a statement. “Eddie Van Halen was a one of a kind. The day after his death Flea came into rehearsal with an emotional bass line. John, Chad, and I started playing along and pretty soon with all our hearts, a song in his honor effortlessly unfolded. It felt good to be sad and care so much about a person who had given so much to our lives. Although the song doesn’t speak to Eddie by name, it talks about his early days on the Sunset Strip and the rock ‘n’ roll tapestry that Van Halen painted on our minds. In the end, our song asks that you not remember Eddie for dying but for living his wildest dream.”
                            Last edited by Silexxx; 09-23-2022, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

[Verse 1]
                              Sailing the Sunset Strip, I'm a bit of a king
                              Granny would take a trip, I've been bending the strings
                              Got hammers in both my hands, such a delicate touch
                              They say I'm from Amsterdam, does that make me Dutch?

[Chorus]
                              Please don't remember me, for what I did last night, oh
                              Please don't remember me
                              Lord and children
                              Please don't remember me, it's only 1980
                              It's only 1983

[Verse 2]
                              Smoking the reefer, feeling my own light
                              My brother's a keeper, I married a TV wife
                              The devil's Camaro, parked in thе high school lot
                              A little sombrero 'cause tеacher was way too hot

[Chorus]
                              Please don't remember me
                              Listen Lord now
                              It's only 1983

[Bridge]
                              Tell my love "But leave me never"
                              Can't complain about the weather
                              Snowing at the rainbow, have a ball
                              Cut my teeth down at the whiskey
                              GTO's tried to kiss me
                              One more song, they have seen it all

[Instrumental Interlude]

[Chorus]
                              Please don't remember me
                              What'd I say Lord?
                              It's only 1983
                              Please don't remember me, for what I did with David
                              You know I'm talkin' David Lee
                              Am I ready?
                              I guess I played a Flying V

Is it just me or are those lyrics dumb?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

“I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

― Nick Cave

Comment

Working...