Thread: WHAT DID YOU PUT ON?...first 10 songs after hearing EVH RIP...

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

WHAT DID YOU PUT ON?...first 10 songs after hearing EVH RIP...

I was completely shocked and floored yesterday, even though I knew it was coming. I haven't been feeling great...so, I didn't get the news until it was a few hours old (texts kept coming, I finally checked).

The first 10 songs I listened to...

1) 1984 - It was my first VH album...I was 8. This piece always makes me think of Eddie with a smoke and drink on his keyboard in 5150 in the middle of the night.
    2) JUMP - My first VH song...it changed my life. It's still pure magic to me.
    3) COULD THIS BE MAGIC? - "Edward...thank you." Yes, thank you. This song is my campfire special. I love it so much. "Could this turn tragic? You know that magic often does."
    4) ME WISE MAGIC - I'll never forget the goose-bumps I got when I first heard this...bittersweet as the experience was. The only problem with it is I still feel the rage I felt towards Eddie for screwing this up. The reunion would never be as magical again. I was half-as-excited when it finally happened 11 years later.
    5) LET'S GET ROCKIN' - I love the version on ADKOT (OUTTA SPACE), but this is still the best version. So...young. Eddie's solo is supreme.
    6) LIGHT UP THE SKY - This song makes me see stars. Eddie (and Alex) are so great...hell, Dave is amazing. And I love Mike's little "bum-buh da be da bum..." basslines in the soft part leading up to Eddie's fantastic solo from outta space.
    7) GIRL GONE BAD - The breakdown in the middle...the weird chords...Dave's vocals...Eddie soloing like a madman. One of their most under-rated songs.
    8) UNCHAINED - Just because. One of the greatest songs ever.
    9) YOU AND YOUR BLUES - I couldn't sleep last night. I got up in the middle of the night, went over to my iTunes and put this on. Twice. It was keeping me awake...those harmonies. I love it.
    10) HUMANS BEING - Yes...one Van Hagar song. I loved it then. I love it now. Easily the best song they did with him and maybe the only thing they did that approached their truly glorious days. Plus, they jam for like three minutes in the middle without Hagar singing a note.

I'm so fucking sad. I just can't believe this. It's not the pain of losing my son or anything...but it definitely has hit me like a ton of titanium bricks.

Goodbye, Eddie. I love you. You changed my life.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 4 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-18-2020),Seshmeister (10-07-2020),TJMKID (10-08-2020),Von Halen (10-07-2020)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Not sure if I listened to 10 songs but I immediately went to my favs:

1) Drop Dead Legs --- such a tasty intro, very subtle and sexy at first but soon enough becomes a pussy-pounding anthem for the ages
    2) Feel Your Love Tonight --- seems like the perfect summer song ... "see you walkin' down my road, tell ya honey you're the prettiest girl I know" ... reminds me of girls I never got in the sack but wanted to
    3) Somebody Get Me a Doctor --- so much unbridled rage in this song ... I play it really loud when I'm pissed off
    4) Little Guitars --- doesnt even need vocals or bass --- just guitar and drums and it's a masterpiece
    5) Aint Talkin' Bout Love --- still the baddest motherfuckin' riff invented by any human being --- I will take that to my grave
    6) 5150 --- one of the few Van Hagar tunes that really holds up, mostly because it's like Little Guitars for me --- doesnt really need vocals because it's so good as an instrumental piece
    7) Me Wise Magic --- mostly for the nostalgia --- I was literally creamin' my undies in Sept. 1996 thinking Dave was back in --- that tour would've sold out soccer stadiums
    8) Jump --- it's the most commercial and well-known song to "non-VH fans" --- sorry but it will always be their signature hit tune --- best video ever made by the band
    9) In A Simple Rhyme --- coolest lyric of any rock song "well aint life grand when you finally hit it, I'm always a sucker for a real good time" --- that is the pure essence of Roth-VH
    10) Dance the Night Away --- still their best sing-along song and I found out after many years it's probably the favorite VH song of any female fan

RIP, King Edward --- you affected millions of people in positive ways --- very few humans have that kind of vast power and influence on a whole generation
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked TJMKID for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (10-08-2020)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    Not sure if I listened to 10 songs but I immediately went to my favs:

1) Drop Dead Legs --- such a tasty intro, very subtle and sexy at first but soon enough becomes a pussy-pounding anthem for the ages
    2) Feel Your Love Tonight --- seems like the perfect summer song ... "see you walkin' down my road, tell ya honey you're the prettiest girl I know" ... reminds me of girls I never got in the sack but wanted to
    3) Somebody Get Me a Doctor --- so much unbridled rage in this song ... I play it really loud when I'm pissed off
    4) Little Guitars --- doesnt even need vocals or bass --- just guitar and drums and it's a masterpiece
    5) Aint Talkin' Bout Love --- still the baddest motherfuckin' riff invented by any human being --- I will take that to my grave
    6) 5150 --- one of the few Van Hagar tunes that really holds up, mostly because it's like Little Guitars for me --- doesnt really need vocals because it's so good as an instrumental piece
    7) Me Wise Magic --- mostly for the nostalgia --- I was literally creamin' my undies in Sept. 1996 thinking Dave was back in --- that tour would've sold out soccer stadiums
    8) Jump --- it's the most commercial and well-known song to "non-VH fans" --- sorry but it will always be their signature hit tune --- best video ever made by the band
    9) In A Simple Rhyme --- coolest lyric of any rock song "well aint life grand when you finally hit it, I'm always a sucker for a real good time" --- that is the pure essence of Roth-VH
    10) Dance the Night Away --- still their best sing-along song and I found out after many years it's probably the favorite VH song of any female fan

RIP, King Edward --- you affected millions of people in positive ways --- very few humans have that kind of vast power and influence on a whole generation
    Nice list! Funny...you're so right about DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY. THAT was the VH song my wife and I chose to play at our wedding. And it's her favorite. I love it too.

IN A SIMPLE RHYME. I also played that yesterday. Twice. And SECRETS. And, without knowing what was coming, I blared LITTLE GUITARS in my house while making dinner last week. I love that song so much. Especially the guitar. It's perfect.

6. Thanked Rikk for this KICKASS post:

TJMKID (10-08-2020)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Funny...you're so right about DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY. THAT was the VH song my wife and I chose to play at our wedding. And it's her favorite. I love it too.
    I've always been surprised that VH had as many female fans as they did during the Roth years. Some of those songs mocked or belittled the feminine psyche --- "Jamie's Cryin", "Aint Talking Bout Love", and "Dirty Movies" are all slut-shaming songs in some form or another. Why would a girl in 1978 wanna listen to macho bragging stuff when she can chill out with Stevie Nicks singing about "players only love you when they're playing"? Maybe I'm trying to use a 2020 cultural lens on lyrics that should only be viewed from a late 70's perspective. I just find it a little weird and amusing that teenage girls were pumpin' their fist at the end of ATBL and affirming Dave's need to tell a clingy chick that he was only out to "hit it and quit it" with her.

There is no doubt in my mind that VH would've been Bon Jovi if they created more songs like "Dance the Night Away" during the DLR years. Their fanbase would've been 50% female from Day One.

8. Thanked TJMKID for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (10-08-2020)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2022 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    Maybe I'm trying to use a 2020 cultural lens

Yes, you are.

Atomic Drunk
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-10-2022 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm the One
    Feel Your Love Tonight
    Little Dreamer
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Light Up the Sky
    In a Simple Rhyme
    Mean Street
    Unchained
    So This Is Love?
    Girl Gone Bad

11. Thanked riggodrill44 for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (10-18-2020)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    The odd thing is...I haven't listened to any Van Halen since Ed died other than the barrage of terrestrial radio tracks I heard the day he passed while I was driving.

And not because I have been too upset to even listen to Van Halen. More along the lines of over the last decade the bands I have overlistened to - or listened too much to - for decades now I tend to go long stretches without actively listening to them. Possibly because I don't want to get sick of them. In part because I have listened to them so much for so long I don't even NEED to physically listen to them much anymore: the music is burned into my memory.

I was thinking of digging out an old bootlegged cd transfer of Van Halen live at Magic Mountain (the amusement park where KISS MEETS THE PHANTOM OF THE PARK was filmed) in 1977, recorded at a gig a couple months before the first album was released. One of my more favorite CVH boots. Decent sound for a bootleg. A good chunk of the first album is on there. The band was in top form.

[My reaction to Ed's passing] has been sort of a similar reaction to the one I had when David Bowie, Tom Petty and Prince passed. Similar not so much in terms my own level of appreciation for what Ed did vs. the other three (I liked Bowie, Petty and Prince, but wasn't much more of what one could call a casual fan of Bowie and Petty), but in that I didn't start listening to those other three guys more than I had been right after they passed away, either.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    None of this means I belittle someone else for feeling worse about Ed's passing or listening to the music more, or whatever.

I can remember spending hour after hour in the early 1980s listening to Van Halen, trying to learn what Eddie was doing and how to play guitar like him.

It doesn't...I don't even feel bad on a selfish level as a fan in terms of how some Beatle fans felt after John Lennon was shot, re: now there will never be a Beatles reunion. Like, I'm not even bummed that now there will never be a CVH reunion. I could understand why Beatles fans would have wanted to see a Beatles reunion in that the music meant that much to them. I felt the same way about Van Halen. I guess the difference is that The Beatles reunion was still a viable prospect in theory up until Lennon was shot. For me, I stopped wanting to see a CVH reunion by the time the ADKOT tour concluded.

Some of it was just...I mean, the last twenty years of Van Halen...it was barely a band. A lot of years of silence, then bursts of activity but most of that was involving performing old material. Public bitching about and from ex-members. It didn't quite recapture the spirit of the CVH era for me. When the music and the vibe (whatever was going on behind the scenes between band members) was positive and energetic.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    None of this means I belittle someone else for feeling worse about Ed's passing or listening to the music more, or whatever.

I can remember spending hour after hour in the early 1980s listening to Van Halen, trying to learn what Eddie was doing and how to play guitar like him.

It doesn't...I don't even feel bad on a selfish level as a fan in terms of how some Beatle fans felt after John Lennon was shot, re: now there will never be a Beatles reunion. Like, I'm not even bummed that now there will never be a CVH reunion. I could understand why Beatles fans would have wanted to see a Beatles reunion in that the music meant that much to them. I felt the same way about Van Halen. I guess the difference is that The Beatles reunion was still a viable prospect in theory up until Lennon was shot. For me, I stopped wanting to see a CVH reunion by the time the ADKOT tour concluded.

Some of it was just...I mean, the last twenty years of Van Halen...it was barely a band. A lot of years of silence, then bursts of activity but most of that was involving performing old material. Public bitching about and from ex-members. It didn't quite recapture the spirit of the CVH era for me. When the music and the vibe (whatever was going on behind the scenes between band members) was positive and energetic.
    I hear you. I understand.

I've been reading Noel Monk's book the last couple of days...and let me just say: It depressed the hell out of me. Talk about taking the wind out of the sails in the way I used to think of what classic Van Halen really was...

...they were, from Day One, such a fucking disfunctional band. And to the very end, that never changed.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I hear you. I understand.

I've been reading Noel Monk's book the last couple of days...and let me just say: It depressed the hell out of me. Talk about taking the wind out of the sails in the way I used to think of what classic Van Halen really was...

...they were, from Day One, such a fucking disfunctional band. And to the very end, that never changed.
    I mean, when the band split in 1985, I was bummed. It felt like there was still more great music to come.

After the split, when the band members started going public with how dysfunctional the band had been from the get-go in terms of personal relationships between one another (and Monk's book obviously put all of that into sharper focus than we as fans might have even imagined) - and then over the years you got things leaking out like Ed's 1982 unpublished telephone interview where he explicitly says he has little to no respect for Mike Anthony's contributions - all of this gradually shifted my own impression of the 1985 split. I started to feel it was more a case of it being amazing the band lasted as long as they did in the first place, rather than thinking they broke up too soon. That as a fan I was lucky enough to have gotten what I did in terms of the music, considering the volatility of the chemistry within the band.

With Ed's passing, I have feelings along similar lines. I don't know the specifics of his various medical ailments beyond what was made public. Nor am I a doctor. But from the early 2000s to 2007, Ed just looked physically dreadful. And come 2004 the guy couldn't even perform consistently well live anymore. Come 2006 it looked like Ed was gonna drop dead at any moment. So, while I was kinda bummed that a full CVH reunion never happened, all things considered it was kinda amazing that Ed managed to get himself sorted out enough to do the three tours with Dave that he did, regain his focus and apply himself enough to come ADKOT time he was able to perform the CVH material live at a professional level consistently well. To be sure, this doesn't seem like it would be asking too much from the perspective of a paying fan, but considering what Ed had been through (or put himself through, if one is inclined to have that view), it was more amazing that we got what we got...rather than lamenting what we didn't get (a full-on CVH reunion and an album or two of kick-ass new material).

But, yeah, there wasn't as much positivity surrounding Van Halen's activities from 1996 to the end as there seemingly had been during the CVH heyday. Even if the positive image of CVH was in no small part an image, what the band and their music meant to me WAS positive.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I mean, when the band split in 1985, I was bummed. It felt like there was still more great music to come.

After the split, when the band members started going public with how dysfunctional the band had been from the get-go in terms of personal relationships between one another (and Monk's book obviously put all of that into sharper focus than we as fans might have even imagined) - and then over the years you got things leaking out like Ed's 1982 unpublished telephone interview where he explicitly says he has little to no respect for Mike Anthony's contributions - all of this gradually shifted my own impression of the 1985 split. I started to feel it was more a case of it being amazing the band lasted as long as they did in the first place, rather than thinking they broke up too soon. That as a fan I was lucky enough to have gotten what I did in terms of the music, considering the volatility of the chemistry within the band.

With Ed's passing, I have feelings along similar lines. I don't know the specifics of his various medical ailments beyond what was made public. Nor am I a doctor. But from the early 2000s to 2007, Ed just looked physically dreadful. And come 2004 the guy couldn't even perform consistently well live anymore. Come 2006 it looked like Ed was gonna drop dead at any moment. So, while I was kinda bummed that a full CVH reunion never happened, all things considered it was kinda amazing that Ed managed to get himself sorted out enough to do the three tours with Dave that he did, regain his focus and apply himself enough to come ADKOT time he was able to perform the CVH material live at a professional level consistently well. To be sure, this doesn't seem like it would be asking too much from the perspective of a paying fan, but considering what Ed had been through (or put himself through, if one is inclined to have that view), it was more amazing that we got what we got...rather than lamenting what we didn't get (a full-on CVH reunion and an album or two of kick-ass new material).

But, yeah, there wasn't as much positivity surrounding Van Halen's activities from 1996 to the end as there seemingly had been during the CVH heyday. Even if the positive image of CVH was in no small part an image, what the band and their music meant to me WAS positive.
    Perfect post.

The one thing that can never change is how perfect and positive this music was. Nothing takes away from how great those six albums are (and I know I'm not necessarily in the majority here, but I actually consider it a seven-pack: I love ADKOT that much...Dave and Eddie are both just amazing and the rhythm section is great...it just needs a remix).

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Looking over my list from that dreadful day...

1.) "Where Have All the Good Times Gone?"---1st track on the 1st VH release that I bought on the day it was released. Will always have a special place in my heart.
    2.) "Unchained"---Told myself that ugly October 6th that I was finally going to learn to play my favorite VH tune "Front to Back"...12 days & still learning
    3.)"All the Cradle Will Rock"---1980. 6th grade. Monument song & record in my life. I've been coping licks from this solo as long as I've been playing guitar...which has been a long time.
    4.)"Hear About It Later"---Great lyrics, riffs, and solo. The breakdown is (to quote our beloved brother MAX) STELLAR
    5.)"House of Pain"---Another VH classic that I'm determined to get under my fingers...just a barn-burner!
    6.)"Can't Get This Stuff No More"---makes me sad that 1996 was such a blown opportunity to get it right. "...you serve up the truth, "I don't want it anymore." Keep that in mind when we say goodbye, cus you can't get this stuff, no more."
    7.)"Dance the Night Away"---Van Halen at their most "Pop" during the CLASSIC years. Sexier than Hagar's entire career...every song combined.
    8.)"Eruption"---Ground zero for Generation X guitar players. King Edward dropped the bomb announcing himself as THE Guitar hero of the 1980's....in 1978.
    9.)"Hang 'Em High"---Another GEM from Diver Down. Incredibly cool riff matched to brilliant lyrics about the old (not so old in '82) Clint Eastwood western. "...His pair of nitrous eyes"
    10.)"Big River"---My favorite cut from ADKOT. Classic VAN HALEN...just wish it had Mike's vocals in the mix.
    *BONUS*
    11.)"Blood & Fire"---a close 2nd for my fav tune from ADKOT...I remember seeing them live in '07 in DETROIT and thinking...(say this in the ROCK's voice like I do in my head) "FINALLY....VAN HALEN SOUNDS LIKE VAN FUCKING HALEN AGAIN!!!"

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt White View Post
    11.)"Blood & Fire"---a close 2nd for my fav tune from ADKOT...
    My favorite, surprised they never played it live.

19. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-18-2020)

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Has the trademark Roth humor...and lets the "Old School" fans know just how jazzed he was to actually be BACK

"Forgotten empires
    Lost victories long past
    Every time I bloomed again
    I thought it was the last
    And then something crazy happens
    And boom!
    I'm doing the victory dance!
    Told ya I was comin' back
    (Told ya!)
    Say you missed me
    (Say it!)
    Say it like ya mean it!"

21. Thanked Matt White for this KICKASS post:

riggodrill44 (11-25-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Great solo too.

I think the best part of the album is that middle section - people go on all the time about it just being an album of reworked demos but that song #3-#8 section is mainly new stuff. Ok Blood and Fire was the Ripley thing but try to imagine taking that music and turning it into that song, it's not easy.

Also in the old days that would have been a whole Van Halen album with a cover version and an instrumental to pad it out.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Actually they did play it on some of the early dates of the 2012 tour....

24. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-19-2020),Seshmeister (10-18-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

LOL as I was typing that I started to doubt myself but just kept going...

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Actually they did play it on some of the early dates of the 2012 tour....

Man, I wish they played it when I saw them. It's a great song.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I honestly don't know why they dropped it from the set list. Certainly a better song than "Tattoo".

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    10-18-2020 @ 11:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks

They should have kept playing it.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    10-18-2020 @ 11:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I really missed Mike's backing vocals

The Reverend
    Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    01-15-2023 @ 12:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks

What did I put on?

I had just finished putting together a radio special about 1978 when I got blind-sided by the news of Ed's passing. So I immediately went to work on putting together a two hour-special on Ed before my deadline. I didn't really even have time to comprehend what the f**k was going on because it was such a whirlwind of emotions. By the time I hit the 90 minute mark I didn't really feel like talking anymore. What a f**king bummer.

The first time I heard Van Halen was when my neighbor's oldest brother cranked 'Feel Your Love Tonight' repeatedly out his window when the album came out. I was only 5 years old, and to this day I can still see the blue sky framing their house whenever those first notes come on. Anyways, here's my tribute to Ed if you wanna listen to a couple hours of our favourite band:

http://rocknrollbreakfast.com/shows/10_09_2020.mp3

Godspeed. Long live the king!

31. Thanked slimdon for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (10-19-2020)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    I initially put on a few songs...

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Drop Dead Legs
    Beautiful Girls
    Little Guitars

Then life got in the way... I've hopped on the Sirius tribute channel a few times while driving and watched his solo from Live Without a Net on-line. That's about it... got my fix and continued on living life.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I honestly don't know why they dropped it from the set list. Certainly a better song than "Tattoo".
    I've grown to like TATTOO a lot...but it took a while. I was certainly underwhelmed at that being the first single.

But the thing that pissed me off the most about it was people like that fucking fatass Eddie Trunk used it as the proof he'd been waiting decades for that VH was better with Sam. Man, that pissed me off. The guy who claimed the 1984 tour was boring and nothing but personal solos and Dave showing off (I've watched the Montreal '84 show a couple dozen times and I'm always overwhelmed by how great it is...and they play a TON of songs, with a few theatrical moments, 2-3 Dave speeches), the guy who loves to claim that Sam made VH a better band, the guy who claimed Dave never bothered singing and had a completely shot voice during the reunion tours (this is bullshit...Dave actually sang better during the 2007-8 tour than he did at US Festival or other pre-break-up gigs I've heard)...the fat-mouth who claimed that TATTOO was the worst VH song ever certainly wasn't shooting his mouth off to point out to the world how terrible UP FOR BREAKFAST or LEARNING TO SEE are. Or SOURCE OF INFECTION (possibly the laziest vocal in history).

Man, I got worked up there. I'm just sick of Eddie Trunk and his opinions. I love people having opinions. But he's developed a massive ego over the decades and has begun to act like because he does all this for a living, his opinions are actually fact. If I were a DJ with a big audience and a stupid minority opinion concerning Sammy Hagar's place in Van Halen, I think I would have tired of trying to convince the majority of my listeners that they're wrong about David Lee Roth. He at one point claimed TOKYO DOME is one of the worst live albums ever because they didn't fix it in the studio. One of the things I love about that album is how real it is...yes, Dave fucks up HEAR ABOUT IT LATER, and maybe they could have picked a better show. But I've listened to it a bunch of times and really like it. To actually bitch that they didn't turn a live album into a studio creation is a joke. The band has admitted that RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW is almost completely a studio creation, with almost all drums, guitar, bass & vocals re-done at 5150...it's obvious where I place Sam in the band's history but at least WITHOUT A NET is mostly truly live and sounds a lot better than RHRN.

34. 5 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

FORD (10-19-2020),Matt White (10-19-2020),Seshmeister (10-19-2020),Terry (10-19-2020),Von Halen (10-19-2020)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

"So autobiographic!" I dig on Tatoo.

Mousewife to bombshell in the time it took to get that new tattoo! Ha!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Man, I got worked up there. I'm just sick of Eddie Trunk and his opinions. I love people having opinions. But he's developed a massive ego over the decades and has begun to act like because he does all this for a living, his opinions are actually fact. If I were a DJ with a big audience and a stupid minority opinion concerning Sammy Hagar's place in Van Halen, I think I would have tired of trying to convince the majority of my listeners that they're wrong about David Lee Roth. He at one point claimed TOKYO DOME is one of the worst live albums ever because they didn't fix it in the studio. One of the things I love about that album is how real it is...yes, Dave fucks up HEAR ABOUT IT LATER, and maybe they could have picked a better show. But I've listened to it a bunch of times and really like it. To actually bitch that they didn't turn a live album into a studio creation is a joke. The band has admitted that RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW is almost completely a studio creation, with almost all drums, guitar, bass & vocals re-done at 5150...it's obvious where I place Sam in the band's history but at least WITHOUT A NET is mostly truly live and sounds a lot better than RHRN.
    I'm fortunate in that I only came across Trunk in the last decade because we never got the shows he was on here. Before I even knew about his love for Hagar I first saw him on That Metal Show and was shocked that he was on TV at all, just some bland windbag with a fat face for radio. I know it was only VH1 but I remember thinking 'this is the best guy they can find in the US to talk about rock music?' He's just been some guy doing the spot that management of the stations didn't care about and has just ballooned upwards by default. As you say his ego is ridiculous at this point thinking that his audience or what's left of it is more interested in him than his guests.

37. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (10-19-2020)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I play Van Halen all the time. My vinyle issues, mostly. It isn't my wife's cup of tea at all, but she understands.

I play the Hollywood Bowl concert in my car. It's great, except for many of Dave's vocals, oh my...

His rant in the middle of DNA is stellar, though!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkmonkey View Post

I love those lyrics.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm fortunate in that I only came across Trunk in the last decade because we never got the shows he was on here. Before I even knew about his love for Hagar I first saw him on That Metal Show and was shocked that he was on TV at all, just some bland windbag with a fat face for radio. I know it was only VH1 but I remember thinking 'this is the best guy they can find in the US to talk about rock music?' He's just been some guy doing the spot that management of the stations didn't care about and has just ballooned upwards by default. As you say his ego is ridiculous at this point thinking that his audience or what's left of it is more interested in him than his guests.
    Absolutely. I understand now towing the line if you're not happy with what bands are doing...but he's bitched so much about VH since they reunited that Dave, Al, Ed & Wolf never came on one of his shows because they were sick of his shit. Ozzy wouldn't go on any of his shows (mind you, his wife is crazy). Only former members of KISS would go on his shows (though I really do agree with his attacking them by touring with idiots like Tommy Thayer wearing Ace's make-up and copying Ace's solos). Now, I heard him bitching recently that Judas Priest members won't speak to him or go on any of his shows. He's alienated so many of the prime hard-rock/metal acts that he's going to have trouble booking bands other than fucking Faster Pussycat!!

And does he really think his random ramblings about how great Sam is how much Dave sucks are going to make his listeners suddenly go, "Okay, Eddie. You're right! POUNDCAKE is so much better than LIGHT UP THE SKY!"??? Maybe someone with his miniscule brain really can't understand the difference in the lyrical quality between LITTLE GUITARS and TOP OF THE WORLD...but that doesn't mean he has to keep trying to convince the majority to be as dumb as he is.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I love those lyrics.
    It rewards the careful listener.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    I play Van Halen all the time. My vinyle issues, mostly. It isn't my wife's cup of tea at all, but she understands.

I play the Hollywood Bowl concert in my car. It's great, except for many of Dave's vocals, oh my...

His rant in the middle of DNA is stellar, though!
    When I first met my wife, I asked her if she likes Van Halen. She said, "They're fun." I thought, okay, cool. Then I asked, "Which singer is better?" And without missing a beat, she said, "Dave. There's no competition." And then I relaxed.

43. Thanked Rikk for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (10-19-2020)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Then you should have asked her "Coke or Pepsi?". ;-)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Then you should have asked her "Coke or Pepsi?". ;-)
    Actually, I did. And I can no longer drink cola. For some reason, my stomach has deteriorated to the point I cannot enjoy cola, which pisses me off, because I love it. But every time I drink it, I'm in deep pain. It sucks. (Ever watch a penny sitting in a glass of Coca Cola?...with the Coke cleaning all the grime off the penny?...that's what it does to your stomach lining...) Anyway, she answered very quickly, "Coke. No argument." But I've always been one of those weird people that prefers Pepsi. I like them both (though I've not had a glass of either for 15 years), but I actually like Pepsi slightly more... BUT I LIKE DAVE MORE THAN SAMMY!!!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyway, she answered very quickly, "Coke. No argument."
    Coincidentally also a common statement by Van Halen back in the day...

47. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (10-19-2020)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries

It's actually... Mouse-wife to Mom-shell in the time it took to get that new tattoo...

Momshell is the modern version of MILF...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Coincidentally also a common statement by Van Halen back in the day...
    Van HALEN preferred "Coke". But Van Hagar was into Pepsi.... and not even real Pepsi but some bastardized bubblegum flavored shit that barely resembled a cola at all....

....which is fitting, as Van Hagar themselves were some bastardized bubblegum flavored shit that barely resembled a rock band.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Van HALEN preferred "Coke". But Van Hagar was into Pepsi.... and not even real Pepsi but some bastardized bubblegum flavored shit that barely resembled a cola at all....

....which is fitting, as Van Hagar themselves were some bastardized bubblegum flavored shit that barely resembled a rock band.
    I thought of Crystal Pepsi (and the RIGHT NOW ads) when I wrote my honest admittance on preferring Pepsi to Coke...but I also felt awkward because I haven't had a drop of either in 15 years. I miss cola.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I've grown to like TATTOO a lot...but it took a while. I was certainly underwhelmed at that being the first single.

But the thing that pissed me off the most about it was people like that fucking fatass Eddie Trunk used it as the proof he'd been waiting decades for that VH was better with Sam. Man, that pissed me off. The guy who claimed the 1984 tour was boring and nothing but personal solos and Dave showing off (I've watched the Montreal '84 show a couple dozen times and I'm always overwhelmed by how great it is...and they play a TON of songs, with a few theatrical moments, 2-3 Dave speeches), the guy who loves to claim that Sam made VH a better band, the guy who claimed Dave never bothered singing and had a completely shot voice during the reunion tours (this is bullshit...Dave actually sang better during the 2007-8 tour than he did at US Festival or other pre-break-up gigs I've heard)...the fat-mouth who claimed that TATTOO was the worst VH song ever certainly wasn't shooting his mouth off to point out to the world how terrible UP FOR BREAKFAST or LEARNING TO SEE are. Or SOURCE OF INFECTION (possibly the laziest vocal in history).

Yeah, but Trunk is just...he's full of shit.

At one point a few years back, Trunk said something along the lines of he thought the albums with Roth were the definitive Van Halen albums, yet he thought the band was better after Hagar joined: what the fuck is one supposed to make of that in terms of seriousness? I dunno if Trunk was blathering that because neither Roth nor any of the Van Halens did any guest spots on his various shows whereas Hagar and Anthony have, or what.

You rarely hear about the guy these days since TMS went off the air...it's not like any of the more popular aging metal bands consider it a must-get in terms of a spot on Trunk's current show if they have an upcoming tour to promote or whatever.

I'm not gonna say the guy doesn't have an unimpressive amount of Trivial Pursuit-type info re: rock bands stored in his head, but as you say in terms of his opinions...I mean, how am I supposed to take someone like him - who thinks Kip Winger was a misunderstood genius - seriously?

Eddie Trunk. That man never listened to a UFO record in his life.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, but Trunk is just...he's full of shit.

At one point a few years back, Trunk said something along the lines of he thought the albums with Roth were the definitive Van Halen albums, yet he thought the band was better after Hagar joined: what the fuck is one supposed to make of that in terms of seriousness? I dunno if Trunk was blathering that because neither Roth nor any of the Van Halens did any guest spots on his various shows whereas Hagar and Anthony have, or what.

You rarely hear about the guy these days since TMS went off the air...it's not like any of the more popular aging metal bands consider it a must-get in terms of a spot on Trunk's current show if they have an upcoming tour to promote or whatever.

I'm not gonna say the guy doesn't have an unimpressive amount of Trivial Pursuit-type info re: rock bands stored in his head, but as you say in terms of his opinions...I mean, how am I supposed to take someone like him - who thinks Kip Winger was a misunderstood genius - seriously?

Eddie Trunk. That man never listened to a UFO record in his life.
    I remember there was one sequence on TMS (a show I watched pretty religiously, unless he had bands like POISON or WINGER or something on...I just can't listen to that kind of music): they were talking about the greatest live album ever. And as at least one of the others in the discussion placed Thin Lizzy's LIVE AND DANGEROUS about UFO's live album, he started getting angry. His favorite album is the UFO live album. So, what did he do? He started using any excuse to justify why he was RIGHT. Not just reflecting his opinion? He was actually saying that the other opinions were simply WRONG. And that started to piss me off. I like UFO fine...but they do not exist in the same universe as Thin Lizzy to me...MY opinion. He even then said, "Thin Lizzy's live album was fixed in the studio. That proves UFO's live album is better." First off, I doubt UFO's live LP wasn't also fixed in the studio...but this is the same asshole who claims it makes no difference how much of KISS ALIVE! was recorded in the studio: it's still brilliant. Absolutely it is! (And ALIVE II, though ALIVE I is slightly better...a little more live-sounding, to my ears.) The same asshole who claimed TOKYO DOME was such a mess because they didn't fix it up in the studio because (his words), "Dave can't sing live" (which is total bullshit...he sings with regular Dave range all over that LP).

Again, it's kinda like the Links/Brett thing: I cherish conversations with people who do not share my exact opinion. It's all subjective. I just can't stand when people get their ego so up their lower-intestine that they feel the need to treat their own opinions as completely objective and an offense to disagree with them.

Right now, there's some 35-year-old who thinks back with reverence to losing his virginity to a Nickelback record. And even though I find that very sad, there's nothing I could (or should) do to remove the specialness of that record from said individual. (But still, imagine losing one's virginity to that!! I wish I could claim I lost mine to ATOMIC PUNK or something, but I'd be lying...I don't even remember any music on...)

53. Thanked Rikk for this KICKASS post:

Terry (10-21-2020)

Thread Information