Thread: Irving Azoff Confirms '19 Reunion Almost Happened...Confirms Possible Archive Release

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Irving Azoff Confirms '19 Reunion Almost Happened...Confirms Possible Archive Release

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/va...-9TA0Ob5z8vM8U

VAN HALEN manager Irving Azoff has confirmed to Pollstar that a reunion of the band's classic lineup — featuring bassist Michael Anthony — very nearly happened for a 2019 stadium tour. Special guests like FOO FIGHTERS and METALLICA were tentatively scheduled to join VAN HALEN in select cities. Unfortunately, due to Eddie Van Halen's cancer-related health complications, the trek never materialized.

"We had lots of stops and starts, but there was every intention of doing a summer stadium tour [in 2019], and as the cancer moved around, [Van Halen] was physically unable to do it," Azoff said.

Irving also addressed the possibility of previously unreleased recordings from Eddie seeing the light of day, saying: "Wolf [Eddie's son] and Alex [Eddie's brother] will go up to 5150, the studio in Ed's house, but there’s been a lot of recording over the years. I can't predict that for sure there will be anything new, but for sure they're going to look at it."

In early 2019, a rumor surfaced that the classic VAN HALEN lineup would reunite that summer for a run of stadium shows. This would have been the first time that the four founding members of the band, including Michael, Eddie, Alex and singer David Lee Roth, performed together since 1984.

The rumors originally started with Roth, who hinted to Vulture that VAN HALEN would be playing stadiums with Anthony back in the lineup.

VAN HALEN and Anthony had not been on good terms for more than a decade, with Anthony not invited to join the reunion with Roth that began in 2007. The subsequent two tours and studio album, "A Different Kind Of Truth", featured Wolfgang on bass.

Anthony's THE CIRCLE bandmate Hagar — himself a former VH member — was the first to publicly confirm that Michael was contacted in 2018 by VAN HALEN's management about reuniting with the group for a tour.

Anthony took a pay cut and signed away all of his rights to the band name and logo in order to participate in VAN HALEN's 2004 tour, which featured Hagar.

During a June 2019 appearance on SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation With Eddie Trunk", the former VAN HALEN bassist — who spent much of the last few years on the road with SAMMY HAGAR & THE CIRCLE — confirmed that he was approached by VAN HALEN's management two years ago about re-teaming with the group.

"I spoke with Irving Azoff [in] October [2018] — that's when I first heard from him — and he asked if I would be interested in any kind of a reunion, and I told him, I said, 'Yeah.' I was finishing up a couple of shows with Sammy and I said, 'Yeah, I'd be interested to hear what you guys have going on," Michael recalled. "I've got these few dates left, and give me a call.' And I never heard a call back. And then, right after the first of the year, I got… David Lee Roth's, Dave's business manager or lawyer, or something, got ahold of me about a meeting or something. And so at that point, I gave it over to our manager, because I didn't wanna start getting in this whole thing — I wanted to do it the correct way, especially after the way things went for me in 2004.

"From what I've heard, and I haven't spoken to any of the guys, they were gonna try to plan a thing for [that] summer," Anthony added. "And for whatever reason… I was never… My people were never… They never got in touch with us about any kind of a contract or any kind of a meeting to discuss or whatever. And the next thing I knew, the plug got pulled on it."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 3 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-09-2020),TJMKID (10-08-2020),Von Halen (10-08-2020)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Gut feeling tells me Eddie realized his cancer was not going away and a summer 2019 tour with the original Fearsome Foursome would be his one last parting gift to the fans.

I would have been ecstatic if it happened, even for a single show at a small club like the Cafe Wha? gig in 2012.

Oh well, at least we have Wolfie and Alex committed to digging through the vault at 5150 for lots of tasty stuff we've been dying to see and hear for over 40 years.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. 2 users say thank you to TJMKID for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-09-2020),Rikk (10-08-2020)

"Those Who Dare, Win!"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2024 @ 02:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'd agree that Eddie knew he wasn't long for this world. Plus the brothers needed cash all the time. With drug habits, divorces , booze, partying and fast cars. They blew through the $$$ all the time

6. Thanked ppg960 for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (10-09-2020)

"Those Who Dare, Win!"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

On top of that, they had Anthony sign his rights away and cut him out of the band. Cut his pay to 15% from 25. Total shit move.
    Mike was the backing vocals on all the great songs. He could really push the sound up.

8. Thanked ppg960 for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (10-09-2020)

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

A shame that '19 didn't happen. Just makes me realize how monumentally they fucked up in '96. To not get their shit straight...when they where still young enough to do it & kick ass....heartbreaking.

10. 7 users say thank you to Matt White for this KICKASS post:

FORD (10-14-2020),Hardrock69 (10-09-2020),ppg960 (10-14-2020),Rikk (10-09-2020),Terry (10-17-2020),Vinnie Velvet (10-09-2020),Von Halen (10-14-2020)

"Those Who Dare, Win!"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I saw them in 2004 with the Hagar Reunion. Eddie was a mess / totally trashed on stage. Concert was Oct 04 so near the end. You could see the division on stage then as well.
    Eddie played not bad not great that night. It was a small glimpse of what VH was but no longer.

2019 Reunion?? Maybe but who knows. Was Mike to play for half still? No rights to anything? What a kick in the balls.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt White View Post
    A shame that '19 didn't happen. Just makes me realize how monumentally they fucked up in '96. To not get their shit straight...when they where still young enough to do it & kick ass....heartbreaking.
    Monufuckingmentally. Dave was good in 2007. He'd have been stellar in 1996. But, they chose to waste another 11 years. Then get rid of Michael, and never give us a true reunion. I last saw the real Van Halen on June 17th, 1984 at the Kansas Coliseum in Wichita, KS. As much as I enjoyed the shows since, I'm still pissed they wasted so much time, and never gave us a true reunion. Especially back in 1996 when they'd have all still been great.

13. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-17-2020),Terry (10-17-2020)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt White View Post
    Yeah, they really fucking blew it in 1996.

By the time Roth rejoined in 2007, the previous decade hadn't been particularly good to Eddie, and those ten years weren't particularly good for Roth in terms of wear and tear on his voice: they were already in their early 40s in 1996, thus to fritter away a decade at that age...it was kinda like, by the time they did get their shit together and reunite in 2007 we got about the best we could have expected from them considering their age and a decade of bad habits compounding it.

15. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-17-2020)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    I dunno if the 2019 reunion not happening was such a terrible thing, least not from my perspective. I gave the 2015 shows a pass because Dave just couldn't hack it live anymore. That situation wouldn't have improved 4 years later just because Anthony was back in the band. Plus, by 2019...I just plain didn't CARE if CVH reunited anymore.

I was pumped for a CVH reunion in 1996. Still hopeful in the early 2000s. A bit bummed out Anthony wasn't asked in 2007. By 2019? As much of a fan as I remain of CVH, by then I had accepted the idea that CVH wasn't going to happen and was kinda glad in a way, because it wasn't going to be anything that lived up to what CVH did the first time around: the band had waited too long as was too old. Frankly, the band never quite measured up to the CVH heyday on the Roth reunion tours anyway. Quite good in spots, but never consistently to the point where I thought "wow, they are as good as they ever were." And Mike Anthony not being there wasn't the main reason for that.

Thread Information