Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Van Halen Family Will Search 5150 Vaults for Unreleased Songs

Van Halen Family Will Search 5150 Vaults for Unreleased Songs
    Corey Irwin
    Published: October 8, 2020

Van Halen manager Irving Azoff said Eddie Van Halen's family members will look through his famous home-studio vaults for unheard material that might be suitable for future release.

“[Son] Wolf and [brother] Alex will go up to 5150, the studio in Ed’s house,” Azoff admitted to Pollstar, though he noted “there’s been a lot of recording” at the studio over the years. So, he cautioned it's far too early to speculate about what might be found. “I can’t predict that for sure there will be anything new, but for sure they’re going to look at it.”

Eddie Van Halen died earlier this week at age 65 after battling cancer for years.

Built in 1983, Eddie’s 5150 Studio was created to give the rocker a home base for crafting his song ideas.

In constructing the space, the late guitarist found a distinctive way to circumvent strict zoning laws. “I built a racquetball court,” Van Halen explained in a 1998 interview with MTV. When the city inspector noticed the thickness of the walls for soundproofing purposes, he commented, "Man, you must really worry about your neighbors." The guitarist responded, "Yeah, you know, I play late at night and I hit the ball really hard."

At one point, all of the recordings housed in the vault were numbered and itemized on a computer, but that information was lost due to a hard drive malfunction. "The computer took a dump on us," Van Halen explained, adding that he was reluctant to go through the process again because "the only person that can do that is me, because nobody knows what I like.”

Whether Eddie eventually reorganized 5150 is unknown, leaving fans to wait and see if Alex and Wolfgang emerge with unheard gems. Azoff was clear, however, about the future of another of Eddie’s endeavors: EVH Gear. “Wolf and Matt Bruck [Eddie’s long-tenured guitar tech] will run it, and that’s going to continue,” the manager insisted of the instrument and amplifier company founded by the Van Halen guitarist.

UCR LINK
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-11-2020)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    One can only hope this comes to fruition in my life time... but then again maybe my grandkids will get something good to listen to...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (10-11-2020)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

What we know for sure exists would be the various demo tapes. The Cherokee Studios Demos from 1974. The Gene Simmons Demos. The Ted Templeman WB Demos from 1977. All of which have been bootlegged to death of course, but it would be great to hear a cleaned up "official" release of these.

What would be of greater interest is any live audio or video that is in the vaults. Legend has it that the only reason Diver Down was released and was half covers & the other half old demo songs with quick lyric rewrites (i.e. "Hang Em High") was that the original plan was for WB to release a live album from the Fair Warning tour and that this was cancelled at the last minute for whatever reasons.

I'd bet that complete audio & video of the Oakland 81 show exists at the very least. Yeah, we have heard for years that nothing was on tape except for the three songs that were released to eMpTyV back in the day. Yeah right... the same story was told about the Rolling Stones concert footage from Fort Worth in 1978... and then the full show suddenly materializes out of thin air a few years ago.

Probably the same deal with the 1979 concert that the clips were released from, originally for Don Kirshner's Rock Concert TV show. The whole concert probably exists somewhere in a vault. And obviously the US festival. There might be a dispute over who owns the rights to that footage, but several of the other bands who performed at that show have managed to release their own videos, so that suggests that the only ones preventing a Van Halen release would be Van Halen themselves.

It's nothing short of a crime that Van Hagar had at least two official video releases and I think even the VDIII concert from Australia got an official or semi official release, but there's never been a "legitimate" release of a REAL Van Halen concert. A fucking shame if Eddie had to die to make that possible, but let's hope they finally stop making excuses and open the goddamned vaults.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    I believe what's stored at 5150 is just recordings Ed made there since it was built. The official archives at Pacific Titles archival storage facility contains most of the gems we seek.

No idea if this stuff still sits there but someone in the VH camp needs to check on it... here's the inventory lists from 1985...

The set of Pacific Titles Archives List images from the old VHT site:
    http://s30.postimg.cc/e449wbpzl/archive01.jpg VHS Source Material 1981-84
    http://s29.postimg.cc/q75gpislj/archive02.jpg 3/4″ Duplications From VHS Source Material
    http://s8.postimg.cc/dpx4cx311/archive03.jpg 3/4″ Source Material
    http://s29.postimg.cc/wl3qk9c93/archive04.jpg 3/4″ Duplications From 3/4″ Source Material
    http://s15.postimg.cc/5rg1ziwor/archive05.jpg Beta 1 Source Material
    http://s29.postimg.cc/yjjl9qjif/archive06.jpg 3/4″ Duplicates From Beta 1 Source Material
    http://s2.postimg.cc/umc6gmg3d/archive07.jpg 1″ Source Tape
    http://s9.postimg.cc/mgoiwurpb/archive08.jpg Telecine – 1″ and 3/4″ (page 1)
    http://s10.postimg.cc/7z9bte2qh/archive09.jpg Telecine – 1″ and 3/4″ (page 2)
    http://s8.postimg.cc/yqwcpblat/archive10.jpg 1984 Castle Donington, UK Details
    http://s27.postimg.cc/me0v642er/archive11.jpg 1981 Oakland, CA Details

Source article...

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-...ums-wish-list/

Note the Oakland 81 list... 16 reels of 24 track audio recordings... both original and dups.
    Last edited by ZahZoo; 10-11-2020 at 07:56 AM.

7. 3 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (10-11-2020),Nickdfresh (10-11-2020),Rikk (10-12-2020)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 07:51 PM
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    Thanks

People used to complain it will take Eddie dying before anything gets released. And here we are. I don't care about hearing any unfinished VH songs or Eddie's noodling, but I'm not a musician.

I would like to hear the 2000 songs that MA confirmed were done, whether or not in final form.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

If there is a version of 5150 with Dave on it, I want to hear it.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 07:51 PM
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    Thanks

Allegedly Summer Nights was written by Dave and Eddie and titled Eat Thy Neighbour.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
    I would like to hear the 2000 songs that MA confirmed were done, whether or not in final form.
    Unless we already have heard them. It's possible that those songs were the part of ADKOT which was NOT reworked demos from the 70s (or 80's, in the case of "Blood & Fire")

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    I'd be content with whatever CVH era live audio/video could be restored or cleaned up. It'd be great if there were footage of the 1981 Oakland shows beyond the three promo videos - or the same re: 1979 Kirschner's Rock Concert promo videos - that could be restored and made available. Or Maryland 1982. Or the 1983 South American tour. Or if there were any 1984 gigs professionally shot.

At least with all the bootlegging, most of that stuff has been circulating among collectors for decades now and much of it is up on youtube.

It always stuck in my craw too that the Hagar era did get those two official live releases - along with the Balance tour pay-per-view gig - and Van Cherone had the Down Under concert broadcast live yet for the defining era of the band we got zip in terms of a full-length release. I can't see why the US Festival couldn't have gotten a release over the last decade, when you consider...what, Judas Priest, Triumph and (for fuck's sake!) Quiet Riot managed to get footage of their full-length sets released for consumption.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
    Allegedly Summer Nights was written by Dave and Eddie and titled Eat Thy Neighbour.
    I think I've heard there were three complete demos, if not finished songs, including ETN...

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Nope. Sammy told a story that Ed called him in the middle of the night and then played him the music (on his guitar) for this song over the phone. Sam then ran over and...came up with some stupid lyrics. (Sam's lyrics aside, it is definitely one of the best things they did with him.) So...Ed allegedly wrote that song after Dave was long gone.

Yeah, the usual story is SUMMER NIGHTS and GOOD ENOUGH (I can hear Dave on both of these)...but whether or not he put finished vocals on tracked versions of these songs...who knows?

And Roth apparently refused to sing on a "power ballad"...while I always imagined this would be LOVE WALKS IN, Ed later said that he wrote (and possibly recorded) DREAMS in 1983 but Dave refused to sing it. Dave can make any song sound great, but I have a hard time imagining him making a song like that sound...cool.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-25-2024 @ 10:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

According to a Guitar World interview with Ed in 2012, they did 35 demos for ADKOT.
    There should be at least 22 left over.
    They were "all done and ready to go and we could play them all."
    What that means exactly I don't know, but if they wanted to finsh them to honour Ed, it might be a place to start.

16. Thanked nick500 for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (10-12-2020)

Thread Information