X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Fuck the Hendrix comparisons

Sorry but I'm sick of the best since Hendrix comparisons.

On what measure exactly is Eddie Van Halen best since Hendrix rather than just best? Technical? Song writing? Album sales? Innovation? Inspiration?

It's all bullshit fuck the 'since', GOAT.
  • Baby's On Fire
    Veteran
    • May 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    Sorry but I'm sick of the best since Hendrix comparisons.

On what measure exactly is Eddie Van Halen best since Hendrix rather than just best? Technical? Song writing? Album sales? Innovation? Inspiration?

It's all bullshit fuck the 'since', GOAT.
    I have no musical talent but I have ears. I've never understood why anyone thinks Jimi was anything special. Maybe it is on a technical musical level, but to me it sounds like just incoherent noise.

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

Ed was best since Hendrix due to the seismic shift they both caused in rock guitar.

You don't like it? Too fucking bad. That is just reality.

You do not have to live in the real world.

There is a river in Eqypt, you know.

Beebee.....Tell me how this is fucking incoherent noise?

Don't need musical talent to tell it is not.

Dolt.

And hey, you can play an ipod, can't you? That requires some level of musical talent, so don't beat yourself up to much.

Last edited by Hardrock69; 10-14-2020, 02:24 AM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Ok I posted that at 4:21am after the 15th 'best since Hendrix' article I had read in the last few days.

Obviously Hendrix was great at what he did and very influential but he was no EVH...

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

In fairness to Hendrix, he didn't have the time Ed did. He died at 27, didn't he? It would have been interesting to see what he would have done had he not died.

They were both extremely influential to musicians and fans. Both were innovative. Both great. I love Jimi's stuff. But I love Van Halen's stuff more.

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Different times and different musical elements... but both significantly changed the course of rock guitar. Not just moved the needle or raised the bar but completely took the genre in a unique direction no others could and people are still trying to catch up since they arrived.

It's not just the technical elements to guitar playing, while a part of it... it was also composition, melodies, tones, leads, rhythms and general song writing that was unique between the two musicians. Then you add legendary performances...

Sadly we only had Ed to enjoy for 40 years... and Jimi for 4 before passing.
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ppg960
              Sniper
              • Dec 2005

Hendrix was an innovator for sure. He changed the rock guitar sounded in his own way. But he isn't No1 and EVH isn't No8 either.
              According to Rolling Stone Eddie is 8th? Eddie changed everything from tapping to arpeggios and composition of music.

Clapton / EVH / Page and Uli Roth are what people call main and major influences. Hendrix was around for 5 years. Not enough time in.

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

What I'm more tired of hearing, is that Gene Simmons "discovered" Van Halen.

Comment

• ppg960
                  Sniper
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Von Halen
                  I'd have to agree. Gene may have saw them at the Starwood but....he tried and likely didn't know what to do. The way I always read it is he took them to a recording studio and it didn't work out at all.
                  KISS and Simmonds had only been stars a few years themselves. It was Mo Ostin and Ted Templeman who pushed them over the top.

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Gene took them to NY where the "Zero" demos were recorded. He wanted Casablanca to sign Van Halen, but Casablanca wasn't interested. Gene Simmons has his rightful place in the history of Van Halen, but it's not discovering them. Had the suits at Casablanca been smarter, Gene would be able to technically take the credit. VH was very well known through California when Gene hauled them to NY. I'm not discrediting his vision. He saw them and knew they were great. He deserves credit for that. But I still disagree with about him discovering Van Halen.

Hopefully he will now do an official release of the Zero sessions though. That would be kick ass.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Casablanca only wanted to sign fucking disco acts at the time. Sure they made a shit ton of money from Donna Summer & the Village People, but two years later that shit was all over and Casablanca records went out of business not long after that. Probably the biggest record company fail since Decca Records in the UK turned down the Beatles and told them that "guitar groups were on their way out".
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Nothing more annoying than celebrating someone's major failure for 40+ years...
                        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Gene has been annoying over the years but me of all people has to stick up for him this time. He was interviewed on UK TV last week about Ed and actually told that fuckstump Piers Morgan 'No I didn't discover them I was just around the same place as they were'.

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Well, obviously to all of your censoring bigots here its quite clear Eddie was the better dude. Why? He was white of course.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

Working...