ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Fuck the Hendrix comparisons

Sorry but I'm sick of the best since Hendrix comparisons.

On what measure exactly is Eddie Van Halen best since Hendrix rather than just best? Technical? Song writing? Album sales? Innovation? Inspiration?

It's all bullshit fuck the 'since', GOAT.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 07:51 PM
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Sorry but I'm sick of the best since Hendrix comparisons.

On what measure exactly is Eddie Van Halen best since Hendrix rather than just best? Technical? Song writing? Album sales? Innovation? Inspiration?

It's all bullshit fuck the 'since', GOAT.
    I have no musical talent but I have ears. I've never understood why anyone thinks Jimi was anything special. Maybe it is on a technical musical level, but to me it sounds like just incoherent noise.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Ed was best since Hendrix due to the seismic shift they both caused in rock guitar.

You don't like it? Too fucking bad. That is just reality.

You do not have to live in the real world.

There is a river in Eqypt, you know.

Beebee.....Tell me how this is fucking incoherent noise?

Don't need musical talent to tell it is not.

Dolt.

And hey, you can play an ipod, can't you? That requires some level of musical talent, so don't beat yourself up to much.

Last edited by Hardrock69; 10-14-2020 at 02:24 AM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ok I posted that at 4:21am after the 15th 'best since Hendrix' article I had read in the last few days.

Obviously Hendrix was great at what he did and very influential but he was no EVH...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

In fairness to Hendrix, he didn't have the time Ed did. He died at 27, didn't he? It would have been interesting to see what he would have done had he not died.

They were both extremely influential to musicians and fans. Both were innovative. Both great. I love Jimi's stuff. But I love Van Halen's stuff more.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Different times and different musical elements... but both significantly changed the course of rock guitar. Not just moved the needle or raised the bar but completely took the genre in a unique direction no others could and people are still trying to catch up since they arrived.

It's not just the technical elements to guitar playing, while a part of it... it was also composition, melodies, tones, leads, rhythms and general song writing that was unique between the two musicians. Then you add legendary performances...

Sadly we only had Ed to enjoy for 40 years... and Jimi for 4 before passing.

"Those Who Dare, Win!"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2024 @ 02:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Hendrix was an innovator for sure. He changed the rock guitar sounded in his own way. But he isn't No1 and EVH isn't No8 either.
    According to Rolling Stone Eddie is 8th? Eddie changed everything from tapping to arpeggios and composition of music.

Clapton / EVH / Page and Uli Roth are what people call main and major influences. Hendrix was around for 5 years. Not enough time in.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What I'm more tired of hearing, is that Gene Simmons "discovered" Van Halen.

9. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

chub_bub (10-16-2020),Vinnie Velvet (10-29-2020)

"Those Who Dare, Win!"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I'd have to agree. Gene may have saw them at the Starwood but....he tried and likely didn't know what to do. The way I always read it is he took them to a recording studio and it didn't work out at all.
    KISS and Simmonds had only been stars a few years themselves. It was Mo Ostin and Ted Templeman who pushed them over the top.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Gene took them to NY where the "Zero" demos were recorded. He wanted Casablanca to sign Van Halen, but Casablanca wasn't interested. Gene Simmons has his rightful place in the history of Van Halen, but it's not discovering them. Had the suits at Casablanca been smarter, Gene would be able to technically take the credit. VH was very well known through California when Gene hauled them to NY. I'm not discrediting his vision. He saw them and knew they were great. He deserves credit for that. But I still disagree with about him discovering Van Halen.

Hopefully he will now do an official release of the Zero sessions though. That would be kick ass.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Casablanca only wanted to sign fucking disco acts at the time. Sure they made a shit ton of money from Donna Summer & the Village People, but two years later that shit was all over and Casablanca records went out of business not long after that. Probably the biggest record company fail since Decca Records in the UK turned down the Beatles and told them that "guitar groups were on their way out".

13. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (10-29-2020)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Nothing more annoying than celebrating someone's major failure for 40+ years...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Gene has been annoying over the years but me of all people has to stick up for him this time. He was interviewed on UK TV last week about Ed and actually told that fuckstump Piers Morgan 'No I didn't discover them I was just around the same place as they were'.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Well, obviously to all of your censoring bigots here its quite clear Eddie was the better dude. Why? He was white of course.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Well, obviously to all of your censoring bigots here its quite clear Eddie was the better dude. Why? He was white of course.
    You are an angry little woman.

19. Thanked Rikk for this KICKASS post:

chub_bub (10-16-2020)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hendrix was amazing. Just one listen to the layers of funky guitars on some of the unfinished masters from the FIRST RAYS OF THE NEW RISING SUN sessions proves why.

I see no need to compare. I just know that I can think of no one else in rock 'n' roll when it comes to electric guitar who was more innovative than Hendrix or Van Halen. I will also say that in terms of tone, endless talent, composition and imagination, they are both peerless...yet somehow equal to me. I have listened to 100s of recordings of EVH and 1000s of recordings of Hendrix (in four years, he recorded SO much). They both were an endless supply of greatness. Hendrix was a complete chemical fuck-up, unfortunately...and he died young for it. He was also incredibly taken advantage of by people who were bleeding him dry. If he had, however, lived past that early career, his would have been a bit easier of a professional career...for the simple reason that he was able to sing. He was not the greatest singer in the world, but his voice had charisma...and soul. He didn't have to spend years of his life fighting with an equal partner over musical direction or what professional step to take next. Unfortunately, this also meant that he would not have had perhaps as much of an impetus to keep his career in a commercial direction...but maybe for him, a true bluesman, this would have been a good thing.

The one thing he REALLY did not have was an Alex. Right or wrong, Alex was there to be on Eddie's side and protect him. Jimi had no one like this. He was truly lonely. Hell, we are quite sure he was alone in that girl's apartment when he suffocated on his own vomit.

Both guys were socially-awkward (though Eddie moreso) and both guys lived to just sit and play their guitars. And both guys spent their whole lives heading towards the ultimate goal of building their own laboratories in which they could cook up their own ideas to perfection on their own time. Jimi's was Electric Lady in New York. Eddie's was 5150 in his own backyard. Jimi got to use his for about three months in the summer of 1970. Eddie got to enjoy his for 37 years (though we currently don't know how much time he spent in there during the last 1-2 years, though I wouldn't be surprised if he & Wolf did spend some time out there the last couple of years organizing the archives and making some plans...got a big thread I want to start on this soon).

And now, BOTH geniuses are gone. I have no problem with people saying they prefer one of these geniuses over the other.

Both of them rock my world.

Both of them were absolutely brilliant...with endless amazing music, playing, tone, creativity...and as I said, imagination. And Jimi accomplished so much in four short years. Eddie accomplished so much...but he also WASTED a lot of time. Let's hope his archives are full of so many fucking goodies that we can enjoy the kind of posthumous career Jimi's fans have enjoyed.

Jimi's estate gets made fun of so much for releasing endless studio and live material as if they've been continually scraping the bottom-of-the-barrel. But the truth is, most of the studio (and live) material that has come out has been fucking top notch. The trilogy of full studio albums that have come out in the last decade (2010's VALLEYS OF NEPTUNE, 2013's PEOPLE, HELL & ANGELS and 2018's BOTH SIDES OF THE SKY) presented some of Jimi's most amazing playing and some really creative jams and undiscovered masters or studio outtakes or alternate takes.

I respect people not loving to see one of these two guys lumped in with their preferred player (Eddie or Jimi). I can only say, as a GIANT fan of both, that I am consistently amazed by the work that has been released or continues to be released by both players. In fact, it's kind of mind-blowing that since Eddie released one studio LP, Jimi has had two more (both longer albums) released. And since 1998 (VAN HALEN III), with only one more full studio LP released by Van Halen, multiple albums and two multi-CD box sets of unreleased material have been released by the Jimi estate, full of goodies.

Jimi's greatness goes way beyond ARE YOU EXPERIENCED? (which is, funny enough, possibly not even in the Top 10 of my favorite Jimi releases)...and Eddie's greatness goes way beyond 1978's brilliant album, VAN HALEN.

Both changed music. Both changed the guitar. Both changed people's lives. Both recorded SO MUCH music and wrote SO MUCH material. One had a 4+ year career. The other had a 40+ year career.

I cherish the recordings I have of both geniuses...

Though it is annoying that one of them has a lot of great playing brought a bit down by some cheesehead cunt singing about:
    ...wanting things to be love.
    ...calling people up on the spank line.
    ...putting cherries on a guy's banana
    ...wanting to know when it happens to be love, which is apparently when you feel it and that you only know that it's forever.
    ...having sex until one is apparently black and blue, though that sounds like some of the fights I had in school so it actually doesn't really sound that appealing.
    ...wanting to know when love is not enough, because, remember, love hurts you sometimes and it's not so easy to find...no.
    ...things that are feelin', and you have to remember that he doesn't like what he's been told he's feelin' (this singer is, I think, allergic to the letter G).
    ...wanting people to realize that they can't stop lovin' him, no matter what they say or do and that their heart is true...and his poo is blue...and her name is Sue...and Ray said it's true...and ooooh ooooh ooooh ooooh.
    ...wanting people to stop telling him what love can do, because he knows the damage done and knows the shotgun...and it's fun...to go for a run...and a setting sun...and sometimes it's nice to use puns...and he has the runs...and he is certainly not the one...
    ...reminding people of that time when love walks in which apparently has something to do with aliens.
    ...reminding people that they have their dreams which is also apparently when they go higher and higher.
    ...remembering things that are good enough to UH!!!.
    ...making sure to remember that time that is so awesome when one...gets up.

SEE? I can't fucking get over Hagar!!! I'm sorry! All those years wasted. All those wasted songs. So much good music. Couldn't those four albums just be instrumental albums? I would have been fine with that.

Sorry...I'm ruining my post.

My point is...I respect people's tastes and preferences. Me and most of my male friends enjoy vaginas. But I have a few male friends who enjoy penises...and I really don't give a shit. Heck, I don't want to see my straight friends having sex. My point is, what people prefer is fine by me.

But BOTH Eddie & Jimi are fucking brilliant. I see no need to say one is better. They both broke so much ground and changed everything for the guitar. I'm glad I can listen to them both whenever I want. It's kinda fucked that there are multiple Jimi concerts that are pro-shot in HD I can enjoy...but not much to watch of Eddie, especially with Dave (though HardRock's recent brilliant HD editing job of the final gig at the Hollywood Bowl is going to be a regular in my projection home-theater...I'm going to be thanking him regularly for years for that).

The only thing I can't believe is that from now on, anytime I hear anything new from Eddie...

IT WILL BE A POSTHUMOUS RELEASE. I saw this coming. I just cannot believe it is true.

EDDIE and JIMI are both absolutely amazing.
    Last edited by Rikk; 10-15-2020 at 02:16 AM.

21. 4 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

FORD (10-15-2020),jasonA (10-15-2020),Seshmeister (10-16-2020),Von Halen (10-15-2020)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Actually he was half Asian.

23. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (10-29-2020)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
    I have no musical talent but I have ears. I've never understood why anyone thinks Jimi was anything special. Maybe it is on a technical musical level, but to me it sounds like just incoherent noise.
    You sound like every incoherent dad circa 1970-something as the old man you have become. Those with real ears can hear confusion, menace, fear, hatred, etc. It was an affect. Hendrix was painting a canvas with the feedback. Maybe go yell at some clouds or something old boy...

25. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (10-16-2020)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Incoherent noise... ha! Here... spend 7:25 minutes, no feedback, no studio gimmicks, just a jam...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Great post Rikk, reminds me of this scene...

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Incoherent noise... ha! Here... spend 7:25 minutes, no feedback, no studio gimmicks, just a jam...

And can you believe the origin of this amazing piece of music? Literally, he and his power trio (Billy Cox & Mitch) were winding down after cutting the master of the brilliant DOLLY DAGGER (well, they also had Juma on percussion, if my memory is serving me well)...and then Jimi starts playing this simple riff, Billy joins him, Mitch starts playing too, Juma also playing percussion. They jam it for almost 10 minutes. Jimi puts on a bit more guitar...and voila, a completely spontaneous masterpiece. I love PALI GAP. I wish I could say it's been years since I heard this...but I was on a Jimi kick last month and blared this cut while making dinner. (I love that it was posthumously named PALI GAP to make it fit in more with the silly RAINBOW BRIDGE film concept...make it sound Hawaii.)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Great post Rikk, reminds me of this scene...

Thanks, Sesh!

I still can't believe this brilliant scene was not in the original cut of the film. It was considered too risque.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Their both top of the mountain. If you only get one over the other I guess it's a matter of taste. And some ignorance.

31. 2 users say thank you to 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (10-16-2020),So this is love (10-16-2020)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Pathetic. The cunt continues to rule the Roth Army with her cunt mouth. I can only imagine the stink....

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-12-2021 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

you're an angry little woman too...

now come over here and suck chub's chub! (like a real woman would) - part of a nutritious breakfast, lunch, AND dinner.

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-12-2021 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

gene simmons is just mad because even though his tongue is sizable as fuck, he's never been able to make any woman cum. or man. he's just sexually inadequate.

i mean, so am i... but FUCK GENE SIMMONS that's what we're talking about. can't believe they used call shit by kiss "metal"... seriously? my grandma listens to that shit to go to bed. if anything it belongs in the same genre as the carpenters. it's faggot easy-listening bullshit.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't even make a "who is better" case between Ed and Hendrix to begin with. Mostly because musicianship, to me, isn't athletics.

Beyond that, it's along the lines of what ZahZoo said. Hendrix and Eddie were of different times.

And like Hardrock69 said, regardless of if one cares for Hendrix or not, Hendrix revolutionized rock guitar. Sure, people like Beck and Townshend had been messing around with feedback a couple years before Hendrix released his first record. But Hendrix was a game-changer in terms of the totality of his style, technique, showmanship...

Van Halen was, as has been said, a game-changer in terms of rock guitar much like Hendrix had been a decade earlier.

But I listen to Hendrix and Van Halen for different things. Within the rock genre, I don't think there's much by way of comparison between what Hendrix was doing and Van Halen were doing because stylistically they aren't similar. Hendrix and Van Halen were doing different things.

"Those Who Dare, Win!"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hendrix took a rock guitar a step closer to hard edge rock. BUT EVH changed everything about guitar. The LA music scene, Hard rock, riffs, arpeggios, tapping etc.... Just the sound on VH1 is nothing anyone ever heard before. Not even Blackmore, Page, Hendrix etc... made sounds like Eddie did. VH 1 is the best debut album ever-no question / no contest

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

As a general comment here, Hendrix was a great artist and player in his own way. But the similarities between Ed and Jimi erode after the obvious that they were both virtuosos that influenced others playing their instrument. I think what pisses people off here is the rather ignorant perception that somehow Ed just usurped Jimi's legacy or something. They were two very different players with different, distinctive styles. Eddie was influenced by Hendrix but then again, Hendrix was heavily influenced by Pete Townsend's style of using feedback and playing an overall blend of lead and rhythm guitar, to the point that Townsend chased him down on a few occasions and chided him for it...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I guess both autodidact savants that couldn't read music either, but I sort of believe that in Jimi's case but think Ed is sort of full of shit about that as the son of a professional musician...

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    As a general comment here, Hendrix was a great artist and player in his own way. But the similarities between Ed and Jimi erode after the obvious that they were both virtuosos that influenced others playing their instrument. I think what pisses people off here is the rather ignorant perception that somehow Ed just usurped Jimi's legacy or something. They were two very different players with different, distinctive styles. Eddie was influenced by Hendrix but then again, Hendrix was heavily influenced by Pete Townsend's style of using feedback and playing an overall blend of lead and rhythm guitar, to the point that Townsend chased him down on a few occasions and chided him for it...
    Hendrix wasn't influenced by Townsend... the primary connection between those two was purely a competition of live performances in which band could pull off the most outrageous stunts on-stage. They were contemporaries battling for headliner billings at the same time... neither wanted to open or follow the other due to who could out do the other on stage. Musically they were on two different planets...

Hendrix' influences came from his working/touring on Chitlin Circuit in the mid 60's playing for the Isley Brothers, Little Richard and Curtis Knight. That time spent in the US South and Upper Mid-West playing in segregated venues in the middle of the Civil Rights era is where Jimi built his foundation in Blues and R & B...

How they hell could you arrive at the conclusion that Hendrix was influenced by some white guy from the UK..?

May want to research the history of the birth of distortion in rock music... look up the history Willie Kizart and Ike Turner's release of Rocket 88 in 1951. This within the Blues genre is where distorted guitar was born and the realm from which Hendrix spent his early career until he ventured off to the UK in 1966...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I guess both autodidact savants that couldn't read music either, but I sort of believe that in Jimi's case but think Ed is sort of full of shit about that as the son of a professional musician...
    I can personally vouch that it's possible to be able to read music for piano but that not to translate usefully at all to guitar at least for sight reading.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Hendrix is Hendrix and EVH is EVH. Both highly influential and changed the course of rock guitar forever.

But goddamn, I listen to Fair Warning and the stuff Ed was doing there.....its mind blowing....like from another planet.

No mortal can produce those sounds, riffs, solos, melodies than what is on Fair Warning.

NOTHING comes or will forever come close.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Apples and Oranges.

Both changed the face of Rock Guitar.

One thing they had in common: THEY WERE THEMSELVES.

Also, as for Van Halen having a sound never heard of before, blame some of that on Templeman/Landee.....for instance, having Ed's guitar on one side, with the slapback echo on the other side, etc.

The instruments were raw sounding but had mucho highs which added a sizzling clarity to the mix. And they were given much use of Sunset Sound's reverb chamber on mixdown.

So the sonic end result (VH l) was quite unique.

But there was much that Hendrix did that Van Halen did not.

As I said, apples and oranges.

I feel Hendrix took the first step towards modernizing electric guitar, and then Ed just took it a step further.

I love them both.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Even early Hendrix had a lot of unique compositions... what's amazing is they captured all of that on simple 4 track tape.

Here's a great behind the scenes clip for Are You Experienced... on how they'd compose and record the backwards guitar parts.

44. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (11-04-2020),Romeo Delight (11-08-2020)

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    08-03-2023 @ 07:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks

They both had a fair number of tricks which they used along the way. Ed's main one was the tapping, which at first was jaw dropping while quickly becoming his calling card. That technique, which almost bordered on gimmick, was probably the thing that set him apart from other players more than anything else he did.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Like you mindlessly drooling as you fap to videos of your mother sucking off a buffalo?

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Edward Van Halen Changed the face of music forever , and he was 22...

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah, Hendrix was a late bloomer at 23... it's a shame he passed at 27. Imagine what he may have produced if he'd had 4 decades and the technology available today.

Thread Information