EDDIE VAN HALEN's son, WOLFGANG, slams rumours he's replacing late dad in new lineup

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

EDDIE VAN HALEN's son, WOLFGANG, slams rumours he's replacing late dad in new lineup

Eddie Van Halen's Son, Wolfgang, Slams Rumours He's Replacing Late Dad in New Band Lineup

Eddie Van Halen’s son Wolfgang has hit back at rumours he’s replacing his late father in the new Van Halen line-up.

Following the 65-year-old Van Halen co-founder’s death earlier this month, fans had been speculating that Wolfgang – currently the bassist for the band – could be taking over his dad’s position as lead guitarist.

The rumors were furthered by a Facebook post on a Wolfgang Van Halen Fan Page, which wrote that “there is a good strong possibility” of the job swap, and claimed to have information “from the VH camp” about the new line-up.

However, Wolfgang dismissed the speculation as a “s—ty lie” as he responded to a user called @MetalSludge sharing the Facebook post on Twitter.

“This is just a s—ty lie attempting to capitalize on these awful times,” he wrote. “Please stop with this. Anyone peddling this s—is not only hurting the fans, but hurting me and my family.”

The rumoured new formation of Van Halen shared on the fan page would see Sammy Hagar replace current lead David Lee Roth, with former bassist Michael Anthony stepping in to reprise his old role.

Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.
  • Von Halen
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

It's probably Clichegar perpetuating these rumors.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
      It's probably Clichegar perpetuating these rumors.
      No kidding.

Spammy is a pathetic scumbag.
      =V V=
      ole No.1 The finest
      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

This reads like it came from the same "sources" that came up with the David Covercheese rumors back in 2000. Nobody wants to see Van Hagar again. Damned sure not Van Hagar with Wolfie on guitar.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          This reads like it came from the same "sources" that came up with the David Covercheese rumors back in 2000. Nobody wants to see Van Hagar again. Damned sure not Van Hagar with Wolfie on guitar.
          Exactly.

Even Irving Azoff knows Van Hagar ain't a money maker anymore. Which is partly why he never entertained any notion of a joint tour (with both singers) or any tour with Hagar again after 2004.

He knows CVH material is what overall the general concert going audience wanted to hear. This was again validated recently when Ed passed away what songs started getting the most streaming airplay and making the charts again. Among a dozen CVH songs only one Hagarita song showed up on that list (Why Cant This Be Love). And what albums re-entered the Billboard chart? The debut, 1984 and BOV1. ZERO Van Hagar albums. And I sincerely doubt Best of Volume 1 re entered the billboard chart because of the Hagar songs.

It must have gutted the Fat Cheeseball when Azoff confirmed that a full on CVH tour was indeed planned for 2019 as the farewell - not anything to do with Van Hagar. Lol
          Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 10-26-2020, 02:41 PM.
          =V V=
          ole No.1 The finest
          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

Fukk the cheddar-poofter-klownhead-fool.

WINGS NOT RINGS

Comment

• nick500
              Groupie
              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
              Exactly.

Even Irving Azoff knows Van Hagar ain't a money maker anymore. Which is partly why he never entertained any notion of a joint tour (with both singers) or any tour with Hagar again after 2004.

He knows CVH material is what overall the general concert going audience wanted to hear. This was again validated recently when Ed passed away what songs started getting the most streaming airplay and making the charts again. Among a dozen CVH songs only one Hagarita song showed up on that list (Why Cant This Be Love). And what albums re-entered the Billboard chart? The debut, 1984 and BOV1. ZERO Van Hagar albums. And I sincerely doubt Best of Volume 1 re entered the billboard chart because of the Hagar songs.

It must have gutted the Fat Cheeseball when Azoff confirmed that a full on CVH tour was indeed planned for 2019 as the farewell - not anything to do with Van Hagar. Lol
              Anyway you look at it, sales, airplay and influence, it is the Roth era that has won that endless debate.
              It was that era that made Ed a legend.
              Hagar fans just refuse to accept that and that rumour just proves the point.
              To go back to Hagar and replace you own father when you actually were responsible for getting Dave and Ed to work together again?
              No fucking way Wolfgang would do that.
              Good for him for telling these rumour mongers to shut up.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by nick500
                Anyway you look at it, sales, airplay and influence, it is the Roth era that has won that endless debate.
                It was that era that made Ed a legend.
                Hagar fans just refuse to accept that and that rumour just proves the point.
                To go back to Hagar and replace you own father when you actually were responsible for getting Dave and Ed to work together again?
                No fucking way Wolfgang would do that.
                Good for him for telling these rumour mongers to shut up.
                Agreed.

Clearly, if the rumour didnt come out of the Hagar camp, it most likely came from a Van Hagar supporter.

Van Hagar fans are classless cunts.
                =V V=
                ole No.1 The finest
                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                  Agreed.

Clearly, if the rumour didnt come out of the Hagar camp, it most likely came from a Van Hagar supporter.

Van Hagar fans are classless cunts.
                  I used to just think of them as pathetic. Clearly, we can see their lack of morals and the actual damage they do.
                  Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Ed passed away.

Van Halen is over.

Can anybody honestly imagine the band even bothering to try and carry on as Van Halen without Eddie? Without even knowing any of the principals involved, I'd be willing to bet anything that neither Wolfgang, Alex nor Roth would even consider the notion.

Bit of a shame the 2019 CVH tour didn't happen. Would have been a positive way to cap off the band's career, by bringing it all back to where it started.

But, it wasn't to be.

I mean, what would be the point of the band continuing on without Eddie? For what purpose? Outside of money...as a fan of what the band did, why would anybody - CVH fan, Van Hagar fan, Van Cherone fan - want the band to continue as Van Halen without Eddie?

Fucking ridiculous.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Rikk
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                      Ed passed away.

Van Halen is over.

Can anybody honestly imagine the band even bothering to try and carry on as Van Halen without Eddie? Without even knowing any of the principals involved, I'd be willing to bet anything that neither Wolfgang, Alex nor Roth would even consider the notion.

Bit of a shame the 2019 CVH tour didn't happen. Would have been a positive way to cap off the band's career, by bringing it all back to where it started.

But, it wasn't to be.

I mean, what would be the point of the band continuing on without Eddie? For what purpose? Outside of money...as a fan of what the band did, why would anybody - CVH fan, Van Hagar fan, Van Cherone fan - want the band to continue as Van Halen without Eddie?

Fucking ridiculous.
                      It ain't Van Halen without David Lee Roth.

And it sure as shit ain't Van Halen without Eddie (or Alex) Van Halen.
                      Roth Army Militia

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                        It ain't Van Halen without David Lee Roth.

And it sure as shit ain't Van Halen without Eddie (or Alex) Van Halen.
                        But...BUT...BUTT...

It's the Other Half with Sam and Mike!

I fear that's coming. Hagar can't resist the chance to cash in, all while claiming the fans want to see it. And standing in for EVH is...Vic Johnson?
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Von Halen
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

There are bands out there that are still touring under the original name, with zero original members. Hell, I think Molly Hatchet has had the replacements replacements dying off. The differences are, EVH is irreplaceable and the band is his last name.

I could see that piece of shit Clichegar doing a tour playing all Van Hagar material, and calling it Van Hagar. I wouldn't put anything past that scumbag, at this point.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

It's refreshing to see the old passions and purist perspectives that value Classic Van Halen™ alive and well here...

It wouldn't surprise me to see Hagar do something to capitalize or memorialize his Van Halen legacy... but on the other hand there's not a lot he can do that he hasn't already done.

That's mainly due to the fact that Alex and Wolfgang Van Halen hold the keys to the kingdom. The last 14 years or so Van Halen became a family owned and operated enterprise. I don't see that changing at all... given how private the family has become during that time to present... there may never even be any sort of public event/ceremony or whatever celebrating EVH's life and passing. At least not family produced or sanctioned.

Edward passed away over 3 weeks ago... other than some heart-felt family pictures and short commentary on social media. That's it... Every end of the music industry spectrum has publicly shared their grief... but beyond several virtual tributes no one's even mentioned doing anything remotely organized... as has typically happened historically.

I really wouldn't be surprised if nothing significant happened for a long time...
                            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

As we have learned over the years, the Van Halen camp is extremely tight lipped, secretive and private. They are very good at keeping stuff close to the vest. I'm sure the family has done their own private thing. I have a feeling they may have done something more public had it not been for the Covid situation.

I actually prefer it this way. The last thing I want to see is Clichegar, or anyone else, at an EVH funeral, making it about themselves. Ironically, go back and look at the Dimebag thing. Ed and Zakk Wylde really made that more about themselves, than about Dimebag. Yes, it was a nice gesture for Ed to bury Dime with the Bumblebee guitar, as Dime was such a huge VH fan, but Ed and Zakk were wasted and it was an embarrassment. I don't need to see a bunch of celebrities trying to make EVH's passing, about them. Nor do I need to see a bunch of other musicians butcher the Van Halen material at some "Tribute Concert".

Comment

Working...