DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-21-2020 @ 08:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 684 Posts

Scott Ian nails it

Scott Ian absolutely nails my feelings of The Mighty Van Halen. I know his love for the bands of the 70's...he pays Edward the highest compliment...just fucking perfect.

ANTHRAX's SCOTT IAN: EDDIE VAN HALEN Was 'The JOHN LENNON And PAUL MCCARTNEY Of Hard Rock'

ANTHRAX's Scott Ian has reflected on the passing of Eddie Van Halen, saying the VAN HALEN axeman was "the complete package in every way."

Ian discussed his appreciation for the groundbreaking musician, who died from cancer on October 6 at age 65, during an appearance on Dean Delray's "Let There Be Talk" podcast.

He said : "There's not a bad song from 'Van Halen I' to '1984' — for me, there's nothing that I don't love. Every song, for me, is as important as the big songs. Every song. I love 'You Really Got Me' — of course I do. But for me, on the first record, my favorite song is 'I'm The One'… His solo on 'So This Is Love?' Oh my God. He cleaned the tone up. And just the feeling in that solo and the way he moves around. 'Top Jimmy'… You can go and on. Every song is a fucking masterpiece."

"He was the complete package in every way — in every way," Ian continued. "He was the [John] Lennon and [Paul] McCartney of hard rock, or heavy metal. They were metal before people were saying metal. 'I'm The One', 'Romeo Delight', 'Light Up The Sky' — those are metal tunes. 'Atomic Punk' — it's fucking metal. Unbelievable songwriter and arranger and just overall musician. Just a fucking master.

"I think you could argue that he was the greatest overall talent, he was the biggest talent of the last… from 1975 on," Scott added. "To me, there's nobody more talented in any field of entertainment. For me, Eddie Van Halen would be the biggest talent of all. And where does that go?
    What a void that leaves."

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/an...-of-hard-rock/
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 5 users say thank you to Matt White for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (10-31-2020),riggodrill44 (Yesterday),Rikk (10-30-2020),Seshmeister (10-30-2020),ZahZoo (10-30-2020)

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-24-2020 @ 12:15 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,623 Posts

Yep. I saw that. Absolutely correct. Goddam.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The two greatest talent loses in popular music since 1975 are Prince and Ed... and they both appear to have a magic vault

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2020 @ 07:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt White View Post
    Scott Ian absolutely nails my feelings of The Mighty Van Halen. I know his love for the bands of the 70's...he pays Edward the highest compliment...just fucking perfect.

ANTHRAX's SCOTT IAN: EDDIE VAN HALEN Was 'The JOHN LENNON And PAUL MCCARTNEY Of Hard Rock'

ANTHRAX's Scott Ian has reflected on the passing of Eddie Van Halen, saying the VAN HALEN axeman was "the complete package in every way."

Ian discussed his appreciation for the groundbreaking musician, who died from cancer on October 6 at age 65, during an appearance on Dean Delray's "Let There Be Talk" podcast.

He said : "There's not a bad song from 'Van Halen I' to '1984' — for me, there's nothing that I don't love. Every song, for me, is as important as the big songs. Every song. I love 'You Really Got Me' — of course I do. But for me, on the first record, my favorite song is 'I'm The One'… His solo on 'So This Is Love?' Oh my God. He cleaned the tone up. And just the feeling in that solo and the way he moves around. 'Top Jimmy'… You can go and on. Every song is a fucking masterpiece."

"He was the complete package in every way — in every way," Ian continued. "He was the [John] Lennon and [Paul] McCartney of hard rock, or heavy metal. They were metal before people were saying metal. 'I'm The One', 'Romeo Delight', 'Light Up The Sky' — those are metal tunes. 'Atomic Punk' — it's fucking metal. Unbelievable songwriter and arranger and just overall musician. Just a fucking master.

"I think you could argue that he was the greatest overall talent, he was the biggest talent of the last… from 1975 on," Scott added. "To me, there's nobody more talented in any field of entertainment. For me, Eddie Van Halen would be the biggest talent of all. And where does that go?
    What a void that leaves."

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/an...-of-hard-rock/

I mean, you really can't oversell or overestimate Ed's impact on rock music in terms of guitar playing.

Dunno quite about the Lennon/McCartney comparison...like, not to be too technical, but Lennon and McCartney were both adept at writing instrumentation and lyrics as well as singing. It's hardly being overly critical to point out that Ed didn't write lyrics and couldn't sing particularly well...certainly not on a level even approaching Lennon and McCartney.

In terms of rock guitar, though? Shit. For me, in terms of big time game changers it was Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen. Which isn't to say there weren't many, many other great rock guitarists because obviously there were. But Hendrix and Van Halen were the two biggest ones. Far as I can tell, anyway.

6. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (10-31-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,547 Times in 5,467 Posts

Fuck off Terry the Beatles were just the first boy band, you can't compare that shit to Van Halen!

8. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (10-31-2020),Vinnie Velvet (11-02-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I can't put smiley after that statement because it's kind of completely true.

10. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (11-01-2020)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2020 @ 07:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,181 Posts

Yeah, well, that was precisely what I was illustrating about the Beatles/Van Halen comparison that Scott Ian was making...

You're very hurtful, Sesh.

12. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (10-31-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Soz only half read that.

14. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-01-2020)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2020 @ 11:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks

By the way, guys, I don't know if you know this...but it's been 3,189 days since Kristy's been laid.

Atomic Drunk
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think the correct analogy is Edward Van Halen/David Lee Roth were the Lennon/McCartney of their era. EVH has the lightning... but the Diamond One was the thunder. Unchained rocks... but it's incomplete without "Blue eyed murder in a size five dress." "I'm the One" IS metal guitar that lights your hair on fire... but... ba ba ba... shooby doo wah. It's a shame that pride/ego wrecked it... but I guess it was inevitable. I'm thankful that my formative years were during their time together. #gratitude Younger people can't possibly comprehend what happened and older people didn't experience it the same way as someone born in 1965.

Thread Information