Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engineer Brian Kehaw discusses Van Halen History and whats in the Warner Bros. Vault.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Engineer Brian Kehaw discusses Van Halen History and whats in the Warner Bros. Vault.

Engineer Brian Kehaw discusses Van Halen History and whats in the Warner Bros. Vault...

Discusses box set of unreleased stuff...that was potentially being worked on, with engineer Brian Kehaw, discussing box set contracted by Warner Bros., with first step being going through vault of Sunset Sound Recorders where first five albums were recorded. I'm still watching this as I type, Kehaw discussing the pre-debut demos. This guy says the vault here also has the outtakes from 1984...everything else (post-1984) remained in 5150 Studios. I'm presuming Warners has the 1984 tapes because Ted Templeman (I presume) took the tapes to do a mix he was happy with at his usual haunt of Sunset Sound. (WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST was recorded at Amigo Studios, but they have the tapes at Sunset, I'm presuming, because Ted took them back to mix at Sunset.)

This box set was being considered 15 years ago...he says, "I haven't heard the tapes in 15 years."

I'm presuming that some of this stuff will be reconsidered now with vault releases being a priority after Ed's passing.

ALSO, this would be a separate release from whatever Wolf is considering with the tapes because Warners owns the tapes from the old albums. A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH was recorded for Interscope. Ed's outtakes and jamming tapes would be re-worked, I'm presuming, for a new album (maybe on Interscope?).

HOLY SHIT!!! THEY FOUND THE MULTI-TRACKS OF THE DEMOS AND HE'S MADE NEW MIXES!! Only the original mixes of the demos are missing. They had the multi-tracks...and he's mixed them using the first album as a reference (matching the guitar sound, drum sound, vocal blend from the 1st album). I'm still watching, hope he doesn't end this by saying Warner Bros. has decided to release none of it...but they already decided not to do any of this 15 years ago. He keeps stressing that his multi-track remixes of the 1977 demos alone would make a great album. The '77 demos were recorded great, the multi-tracks were great and his mixes, he says, sound exactly like the debut album's sound. There are all the alternate versions of songs from the six-pack, and then the MANY unreleased songs. His versions of the demos sound so much better than what he describes as the really crappy quality of the bootleg copies of the '77 demos.

There's an entire session tape of Eddie doing intro to LITTLE GUITARS...
    ...entire session of him working on CATHEDRAL...
    ...no alternate ERUPTION exists. That's a disappointment.

Still listening.

THEY ACTUALLY THREW AWAY THE ALTERNATE TAKES OF OTHER SONGS. Jesus Christ.

There IS a completely alternate version of LITTLE DREAMER cut during the first album sessions.

There's an alternate take of HOT FOR TEACHER with completely different lyrics.

Ed apparently plays bass on HOT FOR TEACHER. Not Mikey. The intro has Eddie doubling his guitar part with bass.

He says, "There are four CDs of useable unreleased material, including the demos." There are a few other unreleased songs, some just instrumental outtakes from the six-pack. Four CDs were put together and sent out to various people. Alex definitely got them.

Years later, Ed asked for the tapes when they were working on A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH (they wanted to hear better copies of the old demos for the songs they were re-working). Now, he could be confused, because Ed claimed when they were about to do the 2015 tour and were looking for the original mixes of the demos to release. When those original mixes couldn't be found, they released TOKYO DOME instead. Apparently, Ed said they had a bunch of studio outtakes and live tapes at 5150 but were considering releasing the original demos, but wanted the original mixes. Who gives a fuck? I'd rather new mixes...especially if they sound like the first album (though even the bootlegs, with the crappy quality, have that sound from the six-pack, albeit with muffled sound).

This guy discusses VOODOO QUEEN a lot (I never put together that its ending was literally re-used for the ending of HOT FOR TEACHER...obviously, the main riff is MEAN STREET).

This is fascinating. Some disappointments, some exciting things.

Hey, four CDs of useable stuff? The fucking demos have already been remixed?

And this is only vault stuff up to 1984 (recorded in 1983)? This would be a great first release.

Maybe Dave could go back and put vocals on the instrumental outtakes from the six-pack? And some of those have vocals...he doesn't deny that.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 11-02-2020 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added link
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 7 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (11-02-2020),Figs (11-13-2020),Nickdfresh (11-02-2020),Seshmeister (11-02-2020),Terry (11-02-2020),Von Halen (11-01-2020),ZahZoo (11-02-2020)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

When they handed this four-CD box set in to Warners, Sammy was in the group (I'm presuming this is 2004). It was bad timing to promote anything with Dave.

They did not want this box set to compete with A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH. They did not, later, want something to take away from TOKYO DOME. This, I presume, he means the band...not Warners. ADKOT/TOKYO were Interscope.

"There is absolutely top-quality material. Not just outtakes or rehash but great stuff that shows how good they were." He says this stuff will come out (he thinks).

He is wrong on certain things...he sounds like he thinks Ted didn't do 1984. Ted wasn't in charge anymore, really...but he WAS the producer.

He talks a bit about MONTROSE (just discussing music)...and he's right. I care what nobody says: that is a fantastic album (the debut). It's just a fantastic, meat-and-potatoes rock 'n' roll album. You can hear all the influence it would later have on VH's debut album. It's not earth-shattering...it doesn't compare with the brilliance of VH's debut. Not even in the same universe. But anyone who is a fan of that three-piece rock band sound with that kind of 70s rock singer vocals should check that album out. MAKE IT LAST is amazing rock music: they don't overplay, it has menace, it's economical...but still dangerous-sounding.

I don't know what happened to Sammy. He had a lot of promise then.

Later, it's like he kind of just slithered his way into the den of mediocrity.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Kehaw talks about how Alex is the band member who diminished the least. He says he was better than ever on the last tour when he went and saw them.

Alex, through the old days, the sheep years, the Cherone crap, the awful Sam tour, the reunion years with Dave...Alex was always on. Some of his most incredible playing can be heard on ADKOT. He totally kicks it on TOKYO DOME. (I love that album. Fuck you if you don't. Dave sounds great on most of it.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He discusses the filmed '79 live songs. He's not sure if they recorded the whole show (at least it sounds like it). He didn't find the show (Don Kirschner '79 videos) on film...just a reel of tape with the three songs. I doubt they only recorded the three songs. That almost never happens...except for legal reasons.

He's probably wrong...we KNOW (from the reel inventory from '85) that they recorded the entire Oakland shows (was it 16 reels of 24-track tape?). He didn't mention those tapes.

But he said he personally saw no film reels. But those would NOT be at Sunset. I know about film storage/preservation. Those cans are somewhere else...hopefully somewhere it can be found easily.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This isn't just a fan speculating. This guy ACTUALLY put together a 4-CD box set (Warners and other record companies do shit like this all the time). The box set is mixed, etc. It's done. The demos are the best...but that leaves almost three CDs of other stuff.

It's been 3,190 days since Kristy last got laid.

This guy is the real deal. The interview is in fucking Sunset, for Christ's sake...filmed in the same interview those great albums were recorded.

I bet you a million bucks that Warners is already moving on this. There is SO MUCH DEMAND for something like this now. I've seen articles about Eddie's vaults, unreleased music and other stuff about Van Halen on many news sites and channels these last weeks.

I just hope we don't have to wait a few years to finally hear all this stuff the guy is describing. He talked about what there was...then discussed whittling it down to four CDs. Man, I hope one of things he whittled down was a great LITTLE GUITAR (Intro) alternate take, a great CATHEDRAL alternate take...he says there were literally entire reels of Ed playing both of those each.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

THE VIDEO WAS TAKEN DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warners??

Luckily, I downloaded the whole thing in 1080p before they did so. Can someone show me how to upload it here? I have an MKV in 1080p of the entire file.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

Sounds promising.

I recently made a playlist that plays a song from the Zero sessions, then next plays the song in it's officially released form. I love it. The different sound. The different lyrics. The different production. The different arrangement.

I hope they release all this other stuff quickly.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

9. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (11-01-2020)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Let me know how to upload the video. I have the whole thing in 1080p. I can upload it as an mp4 or MKV. Or I can upload it as a Blu-ray. I'm already making one for myself.

The whole 52-minute interview is SO worth watching. I can't believe it was uploaded to YouTube by an official channel (Sunset Sound Recorders) and then taken down so quickly.

You guys should see this. It's fucking amazing.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Sounds promising.

I recently made a playlist that plays a song from the Zero sessions, then next plays the song in it's officially released form. I love it. The different sound. The different lyrics. The different production. The different arrangement.

I hope they release all this other stuff quickly.
    Great stuff, Von. I was doing something like that on my iTunes too. So cool to hear PUT OUT THE LIGHTS, then BEATS WORKIN'. Amazing to hear Dave's maturity in the new stuff, how different Ed's guitar was.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Let me know how to upload the video. I have the whole thing in 1080p. I can upload it as an mp4 or MKV. Or I can upload it as a Blu-ray. I'm already making one for myself.

The whole 52-minute interview is SO worth watching. I can't believe it was uploaded to YouTube by an official channel (Sunset Sound Recorders) and then taken down so quickly.

You guys should see this. It's fucking amazing.
    I can't remember how to do this shit. I bet Twona can help you.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Any free file hosting site will do

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Dropbox. Google Drive maybe.

Torrent? But I still haven't figured out how to do that!
    Last edited by twonabomber; 11-02-2020 at 05:32 AM.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm thinking WB made them back off or Wolfgang did. Kid's probably not ready to think about that stuff yet.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

THE VIDEO WAS TAKEN DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warners??

Luckily, I downloaded the whole thing in 1080p before they did so. Can someone show me how to upload it here? I have an MKV in 1080p of the entire file.

Huh?

No it's not gone....here it is, uploaded by Sunset Sound...

youtube.com/watch?v=5-biL02KxE4

AND....this is just part 1. Part 2 coming within the week they say.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 11-02-2020 at 06:04 AM.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    I'm really hoping a lot of the Live film and audio recordings that were stored at Pacific Titles archives are still there... That's where the 81 Oakland and Donnington shows were stored.

18. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Hardrock69 (11-03-2020)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Watched it this morning. Good stuff

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Huh?

No it's not gone....here it is, uploaded by Sunset Sound...

youtube.com/watch?v=5-biL02KxE4

AND....this is just part 1. Part 2 coming within the week they say.
    That was weird.

It literally stopped playing last night while I was watching it. Then it was taken down. Now it's up again.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    That stuff mentioned - the remixed 1977 demos, alternate takes of several CVH tracks, unreleased CVH studio stuff (the "many" unreleased songs referred to...am wondering if that references songs that were actually completed with vocals, or studio demos that weren't completed/only instrumental/abandoned before vocals were added) - would certainly be stuff I'd want to hear.

I think both Roth and Mike have mentioned they each have plenty of 'vault'/unreleased stuff in their own personal collections. I'd tend to think a lot of the CVH shows were recorded by the band...that Memphis 1981 show that surfaced a decade or so ago looks like something the band had recorded by setting up a stationary video recorder on the mixing board (as opposed to, say, the Montreal 1984 show, which is clearly an audience made bootleg shot from what looks to be a hospitality suite): should that be the case, one wonders how many other shows were recorded in a like manner. Obviously, isn't the same as, say, the pro-shot stuff like Largo 1982 (with multiple cameras at various positions)...but, shit, you take what you can get.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    I don't know how much of a rush Warner Brothers will be in to release this stuff now as opposed to in the early 2000s (when this box set was originally being put together), because the business of selling/distributing music has changed in the last 15 years...changed to the point where WB knows the content once publicly released will be leaked onto the internet in multiple ways and downloaded for free by a not insubstantial amount of folks. That happened with both ADKOT and Tokyo Dome to a degree (even though those were both put out by Interscope).

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if this stuff - assuming it actually gets released - is made solely available in digital format. Frankly, that might be for the best, as people are beginning to discover these cds and dvds they were buying in the 1980s and 1990s are beginning to physically rot.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Actually the Tokyo Dome album was released by Warner Brothers. Probably because only three of the songs on the album were from ADKOT, so it would be easier to get permission from Interscope/UMG to include those three on the album than to release the live record on that label and have to pay WB for the majority of it.

Or however that works with rival predatory capitalist media companies. The Stones always had issues combining their 60s catalog with the rest of their stuff, until the mid 2000s when they signed with UMG for new releases, which also distributed their 60s ABKCO catalog.

24. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-02-2020)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,431 Posts

I just watched this whole thing. Definitely cool af. I think that Brian Kehew says he wishes that VH made their “White Album” to which the younger guy across from him mentions that VHIII was somewhat experimental, and I think Kehew thought he was talking about WACF.
    I love and appreciate the F out of these types of conversations. The guys even say that that’s what helps enrich the history is discussions based on firsthand accounts.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    That stuff mentioned - the remixed 1977 demos, alternate takes of several CVH tracks, unreleased CVH studio stuff (the "many" unreleased songs referred to...am wondering if that references songs that were actually completed with vocals, or studio demos that weren't completed/only instrumental/abandoned before vocals were added) - would certainly be stuff I'd want to hear.

I think both Roth and Mike have mentioned they each have plenty of 'vault'/unreleased stuff in their own personal collections. I'd tend to think a lot of the CVH shows were recorded by the band...that Memphis 1981 show that surfaced a decade or so ago looks like something the band had recorded by setting up a stationary video recorder on the mixing board (as opposed to, say, the Montreal 1984 show, which is clearly an audience made bootleg shot from what looks to be a hospitality suite): should that be the case, one wonders how many other shows were recorded in a like manner. Obviously, isn't the same as, say, the pro-shot stuff like Largo 1982 (with multiple cameras at various positions)...but, shit, you take what you can get.
    He was very clear in the video about this.

The 1977 demos obviously have a slew of unreleased material (although much of it is now just alternate versions of material we ended up getting on ADKOT). We all know what's on the '77 demos...it'll just be great to hear it in a new mix with polished sound.

He was clear that there aren't a LOT of unreleased tracks from the six-pack but there are a few from each album...some instrumental, some not.

I've already done the math. You get one CD and a bit from the '77 demos. That means, with 4 CDs of stuff...there's a shitload of stuff still. He said there is a lot more than that in the vaults. But he mixed/compiled 4 CDs worth of "useable", good stuff. This obviously includes the alternate HOT FOR TEACHER with Ed doing bass on the intro and Dave's completely different vocals/lyrics (that would even have a different name), the completely different/alternate version of LITTLE DREAMER (with vocals)...and then a shitload of other things.

You add the unreleased songs (there MUST be BIG TROUBLE from the DIVER DOWN sessions...everyone verified that song was also recorded for that album and the master was left in the vault, I'm assuming Brian found it and mixed it) and the 1984 (or DIVER DOWN) version of IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR (Ed says in one interview that it was finished but they didn't use it because he wanted 1984 to be only all originals released), an alternate take or two of CATHEDRAL from that full reel of Ed doing take after take of it (these box sets USUALLY never subject people to 30 takes of an instrumental...plus he sounded pretty clear that his 4 CDs of mixed, "useable" material was a good mix of stuff from the six years), an alternate take or two of the LITTLE GUITARS intro (again, a full reel, with some real fuck-ups in there...it would be hilarious to hear Ed playing it, swear and then try a better take), studio jams (he mentioned there are some good ones there and I bet they're mostly from the 1984 tapes...we've heard a few of those and those are the sessions Ed had the most freedom with which to put jams on tape)...and then the few unreleased tracks from each album session he mentioned, some instrumental, some not.

I wouldn't be surprised if any album Wolf is compiling from his Dad's tapes would include the process of Wolf asking Dave to come down and put some vocals on instrumentals (dear God, please don't get Sam to do it...he's already ruined enough great Eddie jams...I was listening to SOURCE OF INFECTION the other night with my wife and she commented to me that this would be a great, great VH song if Dave had put a real vocal on it instead of the drivel Sam put on it and completely wasting it). But for this box set, I'm skeptical of Dave coming down and finishing these archives recordings. But it would be great if he did. Bands do stuff like that. The Doors got Robert DeLeo from Stone Temple Pilots to put bass on a really cool ROADHOUSE BLUES outtake they have cut earlier from the SOFT PARADE sessions...then they released it on that box set.

Anyway, some of the unreleased songs DO have Dave vocals on them.

I'm psyched for this stuff. When we'll hear it, I don't know.

I've had the same '77 demos collection on my iTunes for over a decade. I'm now seeking a better-sounding boot (bootleggers and collectors are always finding and/or remastering things like this and putting out there better versions of his material). If someone (HARDROCK, maybe?) has an "ideal" version of the '77 demos to tide me over for a while, I just want something that sounds better than the hissier/compressed version I've been listening to. It'll hold me over until we finally get the remixes and all this other unreleased material.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Box sets of unreleased material and stuff ARE getting released on CD all the time still. There are still enough collectors like me (and many of the people on this site, not everyone obviously) who are happy to shell out bucks for material they haven't heard.

VH is still a very popular band and a BIG catalog seller. That Led Zeppelin stuff had a lot of slim pickins in the box sets Jimmy was putting out...how many tracklistings were full of fucking ROUGH MIXes that few of us could give a shit about. Not enough unreleased songs...not that Zeppelin had THAT many, plus the vault had already been through one cleaning before. ADKOT was a huge seller...most albums these days don't sell the amount of copies that thing did. TOKYO DOME also sold a respectable amount of copies. And they've now released a 2nd remaster series of the 6-pack (no Sammy still, LOL). They wouldn't keep doing that if people weren't buying them. Think of how many more of those people would buy a box set of unreleased studio material...let alone all the live material and film material that could be found in these and other vaults.

Hell, I just got a new U2 box set, a new Tom Petty box set of unreleased material, two new Stones archival box sets...this stuff is getting released because people buy it.

VH is one of the biggest bands in history and still sell more than most other classic acts. Unreleased Van Halen material with Dave? Gimme a break. Of course it'll sell. Will it sell like 1984 sold in...er...1984? Well, fuck no. Nothing does. But it'll sell enough to justify their doing it.

This hasn't been avoided for years because there's no market for it. No, it's been avoided because few bands (if any) have ever been as closed-minded about going into their archives (let alone doing simple things like keeping in communication with their fans).

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, if WB, Wolf, Janie, Alex, or anyone else wants to really capitalize on this unreleased stuff, they better get on it. The CVH fan base isn't getting any younger. Morrison, Hendrix, Bonham and and the others that died young, had younger fan bases that could wait decades for box sets of unreleased stuff. CVH doesn't have that. Yes, there will always be a market for it, as it is timeless. But to truly capitalize, they need to get on it. This is why I applaud the Petty camp, for not taking forever to start releasing that material. They are in the same boat as CVH fan. Older. LOL. Sorry, but it's true.

I have seen comments recently about the filming of VH shows. Many of you know I have a friend that worked for the band during the CVH era. He has told me there is just not that much Pro shot video. He told me himself, when they used to bring those camera's out and run across the stage with them, "filming", there was no film in them. He said those were old camera's from movie sets and it was just part of the show to get the crowd even more riled up. He says that's why in all these years, you've never seen any actual video released, from those camera's. Of the full shows that were filmed, like Largo, South America, the US Festival and a couple of others, I hope and pray they get to those quickly too. Those are the holy grail to me. As much as I can't wait for all this stuff Kehew is talking about, I really want a quality version of at least, one of these other shows.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    This hasn't been avoided for years because there's no market for it. No, it's been avoided because few bands (if any) have ever been as closed-minded about going into their archives (let alone doing simple things like keeping in communication with their fans).
    This ^...

That boils down the root cause for the extreme lack of releases from Van Halen. Call it what you will... but it's never been about the material failing to meet some unspecified, lofty quality standard or ability to generate revenue. Let's be transparent... it's always been about a certain guitar player's insecurity and misplaced obsessions.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

It will be interesting to see what gets released first.

Obviously it will be CVH stuff. WB doesnt seem interested in rereleasing any of the Van Hagar catalog or any unreleased songs from that era.

They know what will sell and what the general music listening public wants.

Which is interesting to note that - all of the CVH albums are distributed and marketed by Rhino which specializes in reissuing classic albums.

The Van Hagar albums in comparison fall under "Warner Strategic Marketing". This label specializes in compilation albums but unlike Rhino they don't reissue records.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A short video from Sunset's channel

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I just watched this whole thing. Definitely cool af. I think that Brian Kehew says he wishes that VH made their “White Album” to which the younger guy across from him mentions that VHIII was somewhat experimental, and I think Kehew thought he was talking about WACF.
    I love and appreciate the F out of these types of conversations. The guys even say that that’s what helps enrich the history is discussions based on firsthand accounts.
    I caught that mistake.

But yes. Hearing such stuff from those who personally witnessed everything is essential.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've had the same '77 demos collection on my iTunes for over a decade. I'm now seeking a better-sounding boot (bootleggers and collectors are always finding and/or remastering things like this and putting out there better versions of his material). If someone (HARDROCK, maybe?) has an "ideal" version of the '77 demos to tide me over for a while, I just want something that sounds better than the hissier/compressed version I've been listening to. It'll hold me over until we finally get the remixes and all this other unreleased material.
    Firstly, all my bootlegs are buried in boxes. I just moved to Portland, OR in January of this year.

Secondly, here. A life support video.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    This ^...

That boils down the root cause for the extreme lack of releases from Van Halen. Call it what you will... but it's never been about the material failing to meet some unspecified, lofty quality standard or ability to generate revenue. Let's be transparent... it's always been about a certain guitar player's insecurity and misplaced obsessions.
    Yeah the lofty thing kind of went out the window a little with the Tokyo live album...

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Firstly, all my bootlegs are buried in boxes. I just moved to Portland, OR in January of this year.

Secondly, here. A life support video.

This I've got...it's great. But thanks!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No worries.

Reminder, supposedly there is a part 2 video coming out sometime this week

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    This ^...

Bingo.

And even the best, most loving fans will admit in their darkest minutes with a few drinks in them that although it absolutely sucks donkey balls that Eddie is no longer with us, living his life, playing beautiful guitar, at the very least, his past will now be looked at with a less personal, most historic (and marketable) attitude.

Eddie said they didn't release the 77 Demos because the tapes were lost. If he really thought that, now we know he just didn't look into it well enough. Or, for some fucked up reason, he insisted that it had to be the original mixes. FUCK THAT! Demos are mixed fast as shit because they're not intended as material of wide commercial potential. I would be pissed if we just got copies of the demo from the master mix. A remix is the way to go.

When working on his TRACKS box set in '98, Bruce Springsteen said he had to be talked into re-mixing from scratch all of the outtakes that went into that release (4 CD box set of studio outtakes...really wonderful set, if you're a fan). He was so glad he did. In every case, the material sounded brighter...plus, by remixing everything, he could mix said outtakes together with a common sound in mind.

Remixes of the '77 demos, aimed to sound like the 1st album (as Brian said he tried) will be amazing.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

EVH had a history of being misleading (note I didn't say lying ) in interviews. Could have been a ton of other reasons he didn't want those demos out and it was just easier to say "couldn't find them."

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Part two is up

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

and episode 2.5

41. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (11-09-2020)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's so fucking idiotic to take your mask off to talk.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm offended the rings not wings logo is on this.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I'm offended the rings not wings logo is on this.
    Oh shit, are you gonna go all "triggered" on us now..?

Thread Information