Engineer Brian Kehaw discusses Van Halen History and whats in the Warner Bros. Vault.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
    Firstly, all my bootlegs are buried in boxes. I just moved to Portland, OR in January of this year.

Secondly, here. A life support video.

This I've got...it's great. But thanks!
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

No worries.

Reminder, supposedly there is a part 2 video coming out sometime this week

Comment

• Rikk
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
        This ^...

That boils down the root cause for the extreme lack of releases from Van Halen. Call it what you will... but it's never been about the material failing to meet some unspecified, lofty quality standard or ability to generate revenue. Let's be transparent... it's always been about a certain guitar player's insecurity and misplaced obsessions.
        Bingo.

And even the best, most loving fans will admit in their darkest minutes with a few drinks in them that although it absolutely sucks donkey balls that Eddie is no longer with us, living his life, playing beautiful guitar, at the very least, his past will now be looked at with a less personal, most historic (and marketable) attitude.

Eddie said they didn't release the 77 Demos because the tapes were lost. If he really thought that, now we know he just didn't look into it well enough. Or, for some fucked up reason, he insisted that it had to be the original mixes. FUCK THAT! Demos are mixed fast as shit because they're not intended as material of wide commercial potential. I would be pissed if we just got copies of the demo from the master mix. A remix is the way to go.

When working on his TRACKS box set in '98, Bruce Springsteen said he had to be talked into re-mixing from scratch all of the outtakes that went into that release (4 CD box set of studio outtakes...really wonderful set, if you're a fan). He was so glad he did. In every case, the material sounded brighter...plus, by remixing everything, he could mix said outtakes together with a common sound in mind.

Remixes of the '77 demos, aimed to sound like the 1st album (as Brian said he tried) will be amazing.
        Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

EVH had a history of being misleading (note I didn't say lying ) in interviews. Could have been a ton of other reasons he didn't want those demos out and it was just easier to say "couldn't find them."
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Part two is up

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

and episode 2.5

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's so fucking idiotic to take your mask off to talk.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I'm offended the rings not wings logo is on this.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                      I'm offended the rings not wings logo is on this.
                      Oh shit, are you gonna go all "triggered" on us now..?
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                        Oh shit, are you gonna go all "triggered" on us now..?
                        Now? I've been triggered!

Comment

• Fairwrning
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

I'm finding new shit daily..

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Dave playing a Zero Demo on the radio. Awesome!

Comment

• wolfsbane
                              Roadie
                              • Jan 2005

I am amazed how some of you hear what this dude says and think there is so much stuff that we haven't heard.

From what I heard this guy say, There is maybe 5 tracks we haven't heard. Maybe 3 or 4 alternate takes of released songs worth hearing. The rest sounds like practice takes.

Also, he seems to have all the demos from that are on the VH zero boot. Which we have already heard.

That 4 CD set that was passed around sounds like something worth hearing, but he is not in possession of it.

The real stuff worth hearing is being held by Mikey and Dave.

It is sad that EVH seems like he did nothing for the last 25 years(except ADKOT).

So, unless I am wrong, there is not much in that Sunset Sound stuff.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by wolfsbane
                                I am amazed how some of you hear what this dude says and think there is so much stuff that we haven't heard.

From what I heard this guy say, There is maybe 5 tracks we haven't heard. Maybe 3 or 4 alternate takes of released songs worth hearing. The rest sounds like practice takes.

Also, he seems to have all the demos from that are on the VH zero boot. Which we have already heard.

That 4 CD set that was passed around sounds like something worth hearing, but he is not in possession of it.

The real stuff worth hearing is being held by Mikey and Dave.

It is sad that EVH seems like he did nothing for the last 25 years(except ADKOT).

So, unless I am wrong, there is not much in that Sunset Sound stuff.
                                Only a very small percentage of the VH/DLR fan base have invested much time, if any, on bootleg collecting/trading/buying/etc. I myself haven't wasted much time with it because the audio quality of this stuff from the 70's-80's is just crap.

To be completely honest... I'd buy quality recordings derived direct from the master tapes and enjoy the alternate takes and unreleased material. Being a Hendrix fanatic for far longer than VH I've been spoiled with great quality releases of alternate takes and unreleased material.
                                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...