Engineer Brian Kehaw discusses Van Halen History and whats in the Warner Bros. Vault.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Halen
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    Only a very small percentage of the VH/DLR fan base have invested much time, if any, on bootleg collecting/trading/buying/etc. I myself haven't wasted much time with it because the audio quality of this stuff from the 70's-80's is just crap.

To be completely honest... I'd buy quality recordings derived direct from the master tapes and enjoy the alternate takes and unreleased material. Being a Hendrix fanatic for far longer than VH I've been spoiled with great quality releases of alternate takes and unreleased material.
    However, Hendrix died at 27, when his fanbase was his age or younger. They could afford to wait decades to release that stuff. The majority of VH fan, including Twonabomber, can't wait a decade or for sure decades. For WB, Wolfgang or anyone else to wait 30 years to put out that material, would be criminal.

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Matt White
        • Jun 2004

Just re-listened to this today. Struck by the fact that Edward recorded a version of HOT FOR TEACHER where he played the bass...and doubled the tapping intro.
        Dave obviously took that idea with him when he did the EEAS record....had Vai & Sheehan do that little trick on SHY BOY. Just guessing that didn't sit well with our man EVH.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Oof I just picked up a bass fully expecting to be able to play it but my left hand isn't big or strong enough.

Another interesting take on that song is the crazy picking version by Jason Becker that was on his demo tape that got him the gig.

I always wondered if he would have been allowed to do this live if he had been well enough to tour, I suspect not.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

A shame what happened to Becker because I think he and Dave could've made more music together which would've extended Dave's solo success.
            =V V=
            ole No.1 The finest
            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...