• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • So this is love
    Veteran
    • Jan 2012

Dlr

Originally posted by Terry
    The weirdest show I ever saw was Roth performing at a Ribfest in 2005, sandwiched among a bunch of other bands.

How about this one? weird or whatever awkward then... at 17min EVH had his lows but in my book this is DLR at is lowest...wtf
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by So this is love

How about this one? weird or whatever awkward then... at 17min EVH had his lows but in my book this is DLR at is lowest...wtf
      Yeah, that whole Sam and Dave tour...wasn't a good look for Roth. From the bizarre hair extensions to the stage wardrobe, which...clearly, Dave had worn...er, um, 'flamboyant' spandex stuff earlier in his career. But that's exactly when it was: earlier in his career. The 2002 tour saw Dave, from my perspective, trying just a bit too hard to hold onto or recapture the 1980s Dave persona at an age when it was beginning to look silly to even bother trying.

And that whole Jack Daniels Jacking Off routine went kinda hand in hand with the 2002 wardrobe and hairpieces...where the embarrassing factor more than by a little bit outweighed the coolness factor.

At the time - 2002 - I enjoyed what Roth's band were doing in terms of how they were playing the CVH stuff and the setlist, but even back then at the time of the Sam and Dave tour I found Dave's live approach to that tour...kinda cringeworthy.

Fortunately, by the time Roth rejoined Van Halen, he had accepted...if not his age at least the reality of his hair loss, and the outfits and stage patter were toned down.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Terry
        The boot of that show has been circulated for awhile...got a copy in a boot trade...maybe...ten years ago(?) give or take.

It looks like it was filmed from the same vantage point as the 1984 VH Montreal Show.
        It was. Same guy videotaped many shows there. Another good one is Judas Priest Defenders Of The Faith tour from that same venue.

I only knew about the 1984 Montreal show, as far as the dude filming Van Halen goes.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
          It was. Same guy videotaped many shows there. Another good one is Judas Priest Defenders Of The Faith tour from that same venue.

I only knew about the 1984 Montreal show, as far as the dude filming Van Halen goes.
          I'm assuming it was the same guy who filmed both Montreal shows (Van Halen 1984 and Roth 1986)...it looks like those two shows were both shot from the same (what I'm assuming is a) skybox location. I'm guessing it was a skybox with either a glass or plastic-type viewing window because at one point during the 1984 show one sees a reflected glare from a light that looks to be attached to the video camera shining from inside the skybox.

Haven't seen the JP Defenders video. There were a few other Montreal shows from other bands from around that same period - 1984 through 1986 - I've seen on youtube, but those look like they were shot from the audience in non-skybox/upper arena locations.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...